Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 2:36:10 PM EDT
Florida is hot, humid and wet. The Army Rangers train down here for tropical and jungle missions. I want a good boot that can keep up and not fall apart. I mostly plan on just hiking or hunting with them but want them to be bug out worthy.  

I can find Chinese ripoffs of Vietnam era boots all over. They might be fine but don't want to find out the hard way they are made out of low grade Chinesium.

Other suggestions are welcome. I haven't done too much outdoors here in FL and don't want to get myself hurt or killed because I didn't know what is common knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Florida is hot, humid and wet. The Army Rangers train down here for tropical and jungle missions. I want a good boot that can keep up and not fall apart. I mostly plan on just hiking or hunting with them but want them to be bug out worthy.  

I can find Chinese ripoffs of Vietnam era boots all over. They might be fine but don't want to find out the hard way they are made out of low grade Chinesium.

Other suggestions are welcome. I haven't done too much outdoors here in FL and don't want to get myself hurt or killed because I didn't know what is common knowledge.
View Quote
The low grade Chinesium ones last about 6 months in WI. (With the soles wearing out.)  They also smell like volatile chemicals for several weeks out of the box, so open them and throw them in the garage for a while.

That said, for $35 or so, every 6 months isn't that bad of a deal. If you are on the fence a bit about wanting jungle boots, it's not always a bad idea to get the cheap ones.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for interest.

Not interested in Chinesium either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
What size?

I have a pair of "lightly" used 9R or 10R (I will verify if interested) that I don't wear anymore.  $50 +whatever shipping is.
Contact me via e-mail
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you looked at Palladium boots? not exactly Jungle boots but they get good reviews. I haven't tried them yet but plan to in a few months.

Linky Thingy
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can find the original green jungle boots with Panama soles, those are best IMO because they came with a woven plastic insole that helped with ventilation and had no lining. When I got out the black speed lace boots were still around, those had a padded insole that was more comfortable but soaked up water like a sponge and took forever to dry. The boots themselves may have been lined, or that may have been the pair of Rockys I had at some time. Either way, when the lining gets wet it holds onto your sock and your foot moves inside the sock. It doesn't take a vivid imagination to see where THAT will lead.

Also, if you get the old style with eyelets instead of speed laces, skip the eyelet where the front of your leg joins your foot. If you don't it'll flex inward and painfully poke your foot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you looked at Palladium boots? not exactly Jungle boots but they get good reviews. I haven't tried them yet but plan to in a few months.

Linky Thingy
View Quote
I've worn jungle boots in the past, but Palladium's and that type are awesome. My oldest pair is six years old, has a lot of miles on it, and they're still in good shape. They- Palladium- heavily cater to hipster douchebags, but there are still plenty of suitable offerings for us semi-normal folk. They drain and dry quickly and hold up very well. I have a gallon of DWR, and I'm tempted to coat them to prevent rain soaking in, but it's not that important.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Palladium boots were French Army issue in...........Indo-China

I have two pair of their boots and one pair of their shoes. They are incredibly long lasting.
I've been wearing them for years now with zero issues. Just replace the laces with
550 cord and go. Very light, comfortable and much better than the cheap Chinese
'Nambats that would last 6 months and fall apart.

highly recommended

(only negative I have seen is the color fades.....so keep that in mind)
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:33:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Bates makes a boot called the Recondo.  I just bought a pair, but haven't tried them out yet.  They are about 8" tall, but the upper is lightweight fabric with no ankle support, but they are light.  I'm concerned about the ankle support and running through the woods.  The sole is more like a running shoe with a high arch.  I wore the old Nam boots when I was young, but I need more sole support these days.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#9]
New Balance OTB are a good boot.  Very light weight.  I didn't have any problem running or doing PT with them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you can find the original green jungle boots with Panama soles, those are best IMO because they came with a woven plastic insole that helped with ventilation
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you can find the original green jungle boots with Panama soles, those are best IMO because they came with a woven plastic insole that helped with ventilation
That is a Saran insole, you can still find them surplus from both the British and Dutch armies.

1942, fused layers of original-specification Saran or PVDC were used to make woven mesh ventilating insoles for newly developed jungle or tropical combat boots made of rubber and canvas.[1][2][3] These insoles were tested by experimental Army units in jungle exercises in Panama, Venezuela, and other countries, where they were found to increase the flow of dry outside air to the insole and base of the foot, reducing blisters and tropical ulcers.[2][3] The Saran ventilating mesh insole was later adopted by the United States Army for standard issue in its M-1945 and M-1966 Jungle Boots.[1][2]

After the end of the Vietnam War[sic], the U.S. military phased out Saran insoles in favor of Poron®, a microcellular urethane, for its jungle and combat boots.[2] However, the British Army continues to use Saran insoles in its combat boots, primarily because of its insulating properties.[10]
See also:
http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/2008/10/jungle-boots-gear-for-tropical-rainforest/
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Linky Thingy
View Quote
I have had a couple pairs of Palladiums, what impressed me is the rubber is well bonded to the canvas unlike many other similar boots and canvas sneakers.  I get about a year of use out if them before they are shredded.  

Unfortunately in my opinion they run narrow, I had to go from a 13 to a 14 to get a pair that fit in terms of width.  I've never had to do that in any other shoe or boot.  If you have a wider foot it might be a concern.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Last ones I had were the Bellevilles.  I know tactical Research makes them too.

If you want the traditional green with Panama Lugs  then Wellco or Altamas.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is a Saran insole, you can still find them surplus from both the British and Dutch armies.

See also:
http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/2008/10/jungle-boots-gear-for-tropical-rainforest/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1942, fused layers of original-specification Saran or PVDC were used to make woven mesh ventilating insoles for newly developed jungle or tropical combat boots made of rubber and canvas.[1][2][3] These insoles were tested by experimental Army units in jungle exercises in Panama, Venezuela, and other countries, where they were found to increase the flow of dry outside air to the insole and base of the foot, reducing blisters and tropical ulcers.[2][3] The Saran ventilating mesh insole was later adopted by the United States Army for standard issue in its M-1945 and M-1966 Jungle Boots.[1][2]

After the end of the Vietnam War[sic], the U.S. military phased out Saran insoles in favor of Poron®, a microcellular urethane, for its jungle and combat boots.[2] However, the British Army continues to use Saran insoles in its combat boots, primarily because of its insulating properties.[10]
See also:
In 1986, 15 years after the end of US involvement in the Vietnam War, my 'cruit boots issued to me in basic training had the Saran insoles. Maybe the gov't just had a few million pairs of them in warehouses that needed to be used up. In fact, I don't recall ever getting anything but the Saran insoles in jungle boots for as long as the MCSS carried them. The black speed lace jungle boots had the padded insoles,and while they were more comfy for marching on pavement when they got wet they stayed wet.

I think the worst insoles were the ones that came in the new-style 'cruit boots from around 1987, they were made out of what looked like linoleum and when they got wet and stayed wet they split and delaminated. Ain't progress grand?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I just saw that Salomon has a pair of hot-weather jungle boots...knowing their quality, they should be a good option.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would get snake boots instead. Danner  makes one that walks like a tennis shoe.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Snake boots have been a consideration of mine. I'm just not sure how much of an issue snakes are.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a big fan of the Palladium boots. Have several pairs. Only issue is the soles have a nearly mystical ability to capture gravel from my driveway. Have to stop and dig several rocks out every time I walk across it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#18]
The Army’s New Jungle Boot

The Army's latest version of what will become the Jungle Combat Boot. Photo: Matthew Cox, Military.com

Belleville Boot Company and Rocky Boots were selected in December to supply the Army with about 36,700 pairs of newly-designed Jungle Combat Boots as part of a direct requirement effort to select and field jungle boots to infantry soldiers to wear in the hot, tropical terrain of the Pacific theater.

The Army is redesigning its new jungle boot after soldiers told the service it needs improving.
POSTED BY: MATTHEW COX AUGUST 9, 2017

Army uniform officials are preparing to test five new jungle boot designs after soldiers in Hawaii told them the new Jungle Combat design needs improving.

The Army fielded 9,000 pairs of its newly-designed jungle combat boots between March and August to the 25th Infantry Division’s 2nd and 3rd Brigade Combat teams.

“Initial soldier feedback on the jungle boot was ‘hey thanks for the boot; this is great. Can we maybe make it a little bit lighter, a little bit lower profile and a little bit more flexible? So we said ‘absolutely,’” Capt. Daniel Ferenczy, assistant product manager for Extreme Weather Clothing and Footwear, said.

https://kitup.military.com/2017/08/jungle-boot.html

In April of 2017, the Army issued a request for information to boot manufactures, for new jungle boot designs.

The Army issued contracts to Altama, Bates, Belville, Mcrae, and Rocky boot makers to submit 200 pairs of their prototype boots for testing, Ferenzcy said.

“Each vendor is a little different … they are much improved, but they aren’t radically different” from the current Jungle Combat Boot design, Ferenzcy said.

In all cases the sole is thinner and the each features a lower profile outsole and midsole, Ferenzcy said.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#19]

The new design features a thick polyurethane insert that has channels and perforations to move water away from the foot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a pair of the Salomon Jungle Ultras. I used them through a GoRuck event, and have kept beating the crap out of them since. I would go half a size up and have a good break in routine.

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I have solomon ultra jungle boots. I went with my size and I think they are correct. I agree they need a good break in period. I submerged mine in hot water and wore them all day until they dried before they started getting acceptably comfortable. Since then I did a 50-mile hike on the PCT, summited a 10,000foot mountain and have used them as my everyday footwear since last spring. I would recommend them for hot weather.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Altama jungle boots.  I have a few pair and have used them jungle hiking for days.  They hold up real well, I am kinda surprised.  Give them a call about sizing first, since their sizes aren't the same as other shoes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag for interest
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Altima

Jungle PX 10.5" 315506 Olive Drab

http://www.altama.com/usa_en/product-jungle-px-olive-drab.html

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#26]
My input.

I've debated going back to a jungle boot.
But honestly.
Down here..if your wet..your wet.
Wade through 1 inch of water..vented jungles get your feet wet..where a typical boot wont..rain
Your wet .after a rain.
Yup.
Wet.

The key is a shoe /boot. That even wet dries fast. 
Socks that dry fast as well.

What I hike in is a compromise.
Keen targhee2s.

My combat boot is the Belleville 790s iirc. Black lace to toe and black. Cordora sides.
Goretex.
Problem is..your dry....good to go.
But they aren't light.
And once soaked through. Aka dunked in a river over your head. They don't dry fast.

Imho.

A mid height trail runner would be great.
Dry fast..good traction..light...etc.

But that isn't cool...lol.

Down here you have to think of all terrain. It can go from mud.. tho sand..to swamp..to thick snag tear everything scrub.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Any one tried Rothco Jungle boots?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Once. And never again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got a set of original BATA Jungle Boots what are supposed to have the steel shank to "prevent" Punji stake impalement...

They have been great boots that I've worn hunting over the years (before Gore-tex boots were a thing)...   You get them wet, and they dry out pretty quick, especially if you are walking...

I wish I could find the insoles.   size 14 is hard to find!
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago had to get a lightweight boot that would be good in the Texas desert! Did a lot of searching read a lot of reviews and bought a pair of Garmont T8 Link they have been great so far did not have any break in time kept my feet cool even on the hikes. I read a lot of military guys reviews on these boots and they all love them.

One problem I have found might not be a problem for you but the inserts in these are thin and to me worthless. Bought online and the size was correct for me 9.5W.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
Chaco's.

They make camouflage,,earth tone ones.
Vibram soles,,thick foot beds etc.
Basically think good boot meets sandals.
They aren't cheap. 80-150-$
But you shop around you can find them. I got mine for 50$
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Our opponents in Vietnam seemed to find such foot gear economical and effective.
View Quote
I always assumed first that the Ho Chi Minh sandals were their best option and second that Opium makes the feet numb.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In 1986, 15 years after the end of US involvement in the Vietnam War, my 'cruit boots issued to me in basic training had the Saran insoles. Maybe the gov't just had a few million pairs of them in warehouses that needed to be used up. In fact, I don't recall ever getting anything but the Saran insoles in jungle boots for as long as the MCSS carried them. The black speed lace jungle boots had the padded insoles,and while they were more comfy for marching on pavement when they got wet they stayed wet.

I think the worst insoles were the ones that came in the new-style 'cruit boots from around 1987, they were made out of what looked like linoleum and when they got wet and stayed wet they split and delaminated. Ain't progress grand?
View Quote
There were a few people selling new old stock USGI jungle boots on ebay, they had pallets of them and would sell them 1pr ir 12 at a time.  I bought 3 or 4 pairs and they were all dated 1988.  In more obscure sizes they had even older ones from the 60s.

here is one guy I bough from, looks like mostly XN or other odd sizes now:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/camo173
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I have yet to see this essential piece of gear anywhere, and so I assume it is no longer available.
View Quote
I remember seeing Saran insoles for sale cheap everywhere in the early to mid 1980s.  I thought at the time no one wanted them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I remember seeing Saran insoles for sale cheap everywhere in the early to mid 1980s.  I thought at the time no one wanted them.
View Quote
I don't think many people understand what they were meant to do and instead compared them to foam shock absorbing insoles.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
BTW, in the very unlikely event one runs across Original USGI Jungle boots, IOW, genuine Vietnam era boots, the later boots had a light brown/yellow thin cardboard placard attached to the boot-lace which not only included instructions, but also told the user that the later-made boots were "Spike-Protective"..   Presumably some sort of barrier was molded into the sole of the boot in order to defeat pungi stakes and such.
View Quote
The boot had a metal "insole" type thing sandwiched in there under the foot bet and sole.  Over the years when the boots deteriorated, you could pull that piece of rusty metal out.

I was issued two pair (IIRC) in boot camp in 1988 and was my preferred boot until we switched to the desert boots for good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Anything Rothco is junk; steer clear.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:38:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Classic jungle boots and those mesh insoles are terrible....don't do that and don't overthink it. Just buy whatever keen/merrill/salomon/lowa you can find at REI that are rated for hot weather. There is a reason civilian hiking stores don't sell classic jungle boots any more...

They'll all fall apart pretty quick under those conditions... lots of the two things that kill boots quickest: moisture and grit. best find something with more synthetic parts that dries fast. Rot sets in too fast with real leather or suede unless you treat it so much it doesn't breathe any more. North Florida swamp never leaves a boot once it's been there for a while...As far as longevitity/durability in civilian boots worst to best: merrill, keen, salomon, lowa.

Issue type boots are probably between salomon and lowa but more prone to blisters. Asolo and Danner are in there too on the high end. Asolo lasts much better than danner, but I don't think either makes many hot/wet weather boots and wouldn't waste either on the swamps.

If you're going a long way or moving fast, something light and more running shoe-like is better so your feet aren't chewed up.

I'd go Salomon XA or XR. 4D or Asolo Fugitive if cold weather/less swamp. Maybe replace the insoles with something less absorbent or just change socks and wring out the factory insoles when you are out of the water. At least change socks and dry a second pair while walking. Immersion foot or trench foot is no fun. Invest in some quality synthetic or wool blend boot socks and foot powder.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Chaco's.

They make camouflage,,earth tone ones.
Vibram soles,,thick foot beds etc.
Basically think good boot meets sandals.
They aren't cheap. 80-150-$
But you shop around you can find them. I got mine for 50$
View Quote
Zappos clearance outlet store.
Crazy good deals on shoes/boots.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Classic jungle boots and those mesh insoles are terrible....don't do that and don't overthink it. Just buy whatever keen/merrill/salomon/lowa you can find at REI that are rated for hot weather. There is a reason civilian hiking stores don't sell classic jungle boots any more...  
View Quote
The standard issue Jungle Boots were by far the best option of the day and would still be popular if the boot designs didn't move towards a desert-environment suede; they were never hiking boots, but they were one of the best road-marching boots if set up properly.  The steel shank was problematic on longer road marches, but Jungle Boots were much lighter than all-leather boots and once the steel shank was removed and better Vibram sole replacements added, they were the bees' knees for road marches.  The cotton canvas dried the fastest but wasn't as durable as the follow on synthetic upper material.  The leather was fine in wet environments, but you really need to sped some time on maintaining them and drying them out as often as you could (I used a lot of Kiwi and SnoSeal).  For us die-hards about our Jungle Boots, we would even wear them in the winter with Gore-Tex over-socks to keep our feet dry.  I still have one original pair in great shape except the soles are worn down and I'll need to get them replaced at some point.  Once broken in they are as comfortable as tennis shoes.  With the uniform change from the 90's and boots made for desert environments for the past 20 years, there's a reason Jungle Boots have been phased out or minimally produced.  

I'm with Protus though.  If you're in a perpetually wet environment, you want footwear that will drain and dry fast.  Paired with a good pair of sandals built for hiking, you can do an awful lot while protecting your feet but still allowing your feet to dry or your boots to dry.  Extra wool socks are the key to moisture management over the long haul.  I've worn Chaco's, Tevas, and even some barefoot sandal designs hiking from Central Texas in the summer, to the FL swamps, Appalachian Trail, Glacier National Park, and the Amazon headwater jungles in Ecuador.  There's always a little risk involved, but one you get over the mental fear of "naked feet", and you get your feet toughed up, it's surprising how much you can do and where you can go with a good pair of outdoors sandals. I'm convinced the open design of sandals is far better for your foot health than enclosed shoes/boots.  While I do distance hikes with Salomon shoes, I put my sandals on whenever I get a chance and I've even hiked them for a few miles when it was raining hard.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:04:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I've been wearing jungle boots (pre and post panama sole)since I was a kid buying old NOS Vietnam boots out of surplus stores, through the Marines, and into when my last pair wore out a few years ago, so maybe like 19-20 years deep into them.

Best bet is Altama if you're hard for Vn style boot.
Second place, Ro-search (now wellco)
Third place, none.

Any lightweight fast drying boot is a better choice. It's 2017 and as die hard of a jungle boot fan as I am, the modern tech boots have benefited from is undeniable.

Lightweight fast drying shoes are even better than that unless you need the ankle support, or increased protection from getting stabbed by sticks or whatever you're tromping through. Good thing about shoes, you can carry a spare pair of light trail runners and still pack less weight than one pair of traditional boots.

also, the yellow mesh USGI soles fucking suck, I've used then dragging ass through swamps, they don't keep your feet much drier if at all, and modern insoles are so much better for posture and stride. After using them awhile I just took them out and doubled up on socks and it worked better. WAY better, especially a synthetic sock liner under thin wool.

ETA- whatever the black jungle boots we were issued in the Marines in 2000 were garbage, maybe they were rothco? or just 80's/ 90's cheap contract boots? 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top