Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 6:47:23 PM EDT
I am looking to get a new "waterproof" jacket. I currently have a Columbia jacket that I wear for more casual and less "outdoorsy" situations, and a USGI woodland Gore-tex. Both of these jackets would need to be replaced.

I want something that is waterproof/breathable and more heavy duty than the Frogg-Toggs/Marmot Precip/Goretex Pac-lite jackets. Since I want something I can wear around town, I don't want camo, and prefer earthen colors.

I have used the Marmot Precip, the Frogg-Togs and the Gore-tex paclite materials in the past, and while they are more affordable, they are not very durable.

Does anybody have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
look at Cabellas.  I have a Gortex parka no insulation but a great outer shell this one I gave to my Dad about 20 yrs ago and I still use it
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been wearing 2 Eastern Mountain Sports Thunderhead rain jackets for at least 4 years now, casually around town and for hiking, camping, snowshoeing, and in my topless & doorless Jeep when it rains. They've been poked and scraped by branches, abraded against rocks in the mountains, and flapped by 70mph wind while driving, and they're still as waterproof as the day I bought them. They're basic, no-frills WPB jackets that work and are very affordable. I'm sure REI has similar jackets.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I train retrievers and judge retriever events in pouring rain with some frequency.  The best Gore Tex I have found are the Cabela's Guide Wear suits, followed by the Bass Pro Shops 100 MPH suits.  Heavy and can be hot, but they will keep you dry.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I like Patagonia's cut on Rain jackets and anything in the Pro Goretex Material will serve you well. Consider that Patagonia is making JSOC Uniform items now even being the giant hippy bastards they are.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at the Outdoor Research Axiom. Great cut, 3L Goretex, and durable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been wearing 2 Eastern Mountain Sports Thunderhead rain jackets for at least 4 years now, casually around town and for hiking, camping, snowshoeing, and in my topless & doorless Jeep when it rains. They've been poked and scraped by branches, abraded against rocks in the mountains, and flapped by 70mph wind while driving, and they're still as waterproof as the day I bought them. They're basic, no-frills WPB jackets that work and are very affordable. I'm sure REI has similar jackets.
View Quote
The EMS Thunderhead looks a lot like the Marmot Precip. I have shredded those in the past; damn blackberries
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top