Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 11:37:44 AM EDT
I'm looking for a new 12v inverter to install in the trunk of my Honda Ridgeline. As well as possibly a smaller one to install under the passenger seat. I know I could install an outlet from the rear inverter, but I'd rather have 2.

I've mainly used the inverter for recharging my Milwaukee batteries. I have the Contractor Mulri Charger for both 12v and 18v.

I want pure sine wave as I don't know what I may want to power.

I've been happy with a 400 watt unit, but if I'm going to the trouble of hard wiring something I might as well go bigger. I'm using a yellow optima now and have no problems adding a second battery and upgrading the charging system. However, I have a Honda EU2000i that way more efficient. So, I don't know how big I should go.

Any suggestions or favorite brands/models of inverters?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a new 12v inverter to install in the trunk of my Honda Ridgeline. As well as possibly a smaller one to install under the passenger seat. I know I could install an outlet from the rear inverter, but I'd rather have 2.

I've mainly used the inverter for recharging my Milwaukee batteries. I have the Contractor Mulri Charger for both 12v and 18v.

I want pure sine wave as I don't know what I may want to power.

I've been happy with a 400 watt unit, but if I'm going to the trouble of hard wiring something I might as well go bigger. I'm using a yellow optima now and have no problems adding a second battery and upgrading the charging system. However, I have a Honda EU2000i that way more efficient. So, I don't know how big I should go.

Any suggestions or favorite brands/models of inverters?
View Quote

For light duty stuff, I use a Xantrex ProWatt 600.  Its been a good unit.  It struggles with heavy inductive loads because the low-voltage shutdown is very quick to respond.  I use a cheap 700 watt MSW for angle grinders and non-critical loads.

For big loads, I have an older (non Chinese junk) Xantrex Pro-Sine 2.0.  Its a great unit with 4500 surge capacity and is great at starting heavy inductive loads like my air compressor.

Since Xantrex's quality has gone down in recent years, I would pick an Outback inverter these days for big inverters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top