Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 6:54:46 AM EDT
I need a light capable of target identification at 300-400 yards.  This will be used to see out into my pasture from the house to make sure everything is OK with the livestock.
I'm already invested in 18650's so that would be a plus.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Fenix TK 75 ?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Convoy L6 throws 400 yards per the Youtube reviews.  It can be purchased for about $60.00 or less.  It does take 26650 batteries, however, but I expect most flashlights that meet your requirements will as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Nitecore TM36 is one of the best "throwers" out there for the money. They make a shorty version that runs on 4 18650s and a double capacity version. There's also battery back handles, just make sure you get the new version if you go with the built in battery for more capacity.

TM36

The Maker MK35 is a more budget friendly light but still has big throw and output.

There's a great review about a month or so on YouTube. I personally don't have any of their products though.

MK35
Nitecore is excellent stuff however!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Well, that escalated quickly.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, that escalated quickly.  
View Quote
Yeah, I guess that wasn't very helpful.

On a more serious note OP, have you considered something that's not a flashlight?  I have a GoLight on my truck that has a wired remote to the center console, but also comes with a wireless remote that turns it on/off and moves it left/right up/down.  

You might also consider some 120v wired lights if you'll be in the house.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll check some of those out.

I want it to be portable, it's mainly for the wife.  She gets worried because she thinks she hears the animals.  So sometimes she goes out in the middle of the night walking into the pasture to check.  But mostly it will be used from the 2nd floor bedroom window.

Anything out there that can cut through fog?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Or you could go with no light whatsoever and get a night vision scope, but that ain't cheap.

Or you could sink a post with some spotlights out near the area, then the light doesn't need to reach from the house, it'll be in the area.  It'll be expensive to run wire that far though.  But no matter, a flashlight isn't the only option, or necessarily the best option.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll check some of those out.

I want it to be portable, it's mainly for the wife.  She gets worried because she thinks she hears the animals.  So sometimes she goes out in the middle of the night walking into the pasture to check.  But mostly it will be used from the 2nd floor bedroom window.

Anything out there that can cut through fog?
View Quote
No light source is going to work at any distance in fog, not even IR with night vision. You would need a thermal scope for that but something decent for your needs would be 5K plus.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]
You know, maybe you would be better off putting some security cameras on poles around the area? Then you would have night vision and be able to check on the animals while laying in bed with your phone or bedroom mounted TV.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
At around 70 bucks, the Solarforce S2200 would be worth considering.

Solarforce makes good stuff - Build quality is comparable to Nitecore, Fenix, etc., but priced much more competitively.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Olight SR52-UT Intimidator - I have one in my Truck, it's a great search light that uses 18650s. And it's on sale right now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top