Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2017 5:16:58 PM EDT
I work as an airline pilot, and we are getting nifty electronic flight boards. So we are dumping out flight kits, some of us are burning them(35 lbs of paper). Now that I am dropping 1/2 of the weight we carry with us each day, I am looking for a bag/backpack to fill the new void and counter balance our luggage. I was thinking about getting a military styled backpack with a bunch of pocket/zippers to store things. This bag/backpack will be in the cockpit with me stuffed between my seat and the window.

Three main things are going into this pack. First of all is my laptop. It is approximately 15.5" x 10.5" in dimension, and it is the largest item to go in. Secondly is an iPad air 2(our new electronic flight boards). Lastly I would like room so I can start taking some food on the road with me. We are typically gone for 4 days. Figure I can eat a little healthier if I bring my own food.

I just need a bag that fits the laptop/accessories, iPad, and food. I don't need to put any clothes in it other than in the winter maybe add a hat and gloves. Anyways, I usually just lurk in GD. Thank you ahead of time for any suggestions. Myself and fellow workers appreciate it.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
osprey packs. awesome warranty and great designs with plenty of space
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I work as an airline pilot, and we are getting nifty electronic flight boards. So we are dumping out flight kits, some of us are burning them(35 lbs of paper). Now that I am dropping 1/2 of the weight we carry with us each day, I am looking for a bag/backpack to fill the new void and counter balance our luggage. I was thinking about getting a military styled backpack with a bunch of pocket/zippers to store things. This bag/backpack will be in the cockpit with me stuffed between my seat and the window.

Three main things are going into this pack. First of all is my laptop. It is approximately 15.5" x 10.5" in dimension, and it is the largest item to go in. Secondly is an iPad air 2(our new electronic flight boards). Lastly I would like room so I can start taking some food on the road with me. We are typically gone for 4 days. Figure I can eat a little healthier if I bring my own food.

I just need a bag that fits the laptop/accessories, iPad, and food. I don't need to put any clothes in it other than in the winter maybe add a hat and gloves. Anyways, I usually just lurk in GD. Thank you ahead of time for any suggestions. Myself and fellow workers appreciate it.

CJ
View Quote

I have used the Maxpedition Falcon 2 as a carry-on, its big enough for toiletries, laptop, and two days worth of summertime clothes, it might be perfect for what you re looking for. If you want a little bigger, the Gyrfalcon came out last year-they stopped carrying a lot of the colors as it seems they are moving to a new style of pack that is harder for China to copy. Both are fairly streamline, with the Gyrfalcon having an internal frame and better padding.

The Falcon 2 is a great all around bag, I use it for everything from travel to range trips to motorcycle trips. I'm not a big guy and it's nice to wear a pack that doesn't have me banging my arms into the pack when I walk. Absolutely bomb-proof too, like all of Maxpedition's stuff.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought the cheap closeout LA Police gear backpack- it's absolutely a steal for $35 shipped...
http://www.lapolicegear.com/backpacks.html
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at Briggs and Riley. They are the best luggage company out there and will have something that fits your needs. They have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. I mean absolutely no questions asked. I managed a luggage repair shop at one point, and dealt with them on a daily basis, and if we couldn't fix the bag they'd just send us the newest comparable bag to give to the customer. If we could fix it, the repair cost nothing to the customer. The warranty is also transferrable and doesn't require a proof of purchase. The bags are built like tanks too, they are pricey, but 100% worth it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at Tom Bihn.

Smart Alec
Synapse

Plus, their logo has a nifty little plane on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a Maxpedition "Riftcore". The size is 12"x18" and it has several compartments for storage for all kinds of gear. I also like the hook & loop compartments. I picked up a Maxpedition Universal Holster and I have a double mag pouch coming. Mine is in the "Urban Gray" color.........

Maxpedition Riftcore
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been using an Outdoor Products bag from Walmart for about a year.  Keep my iPad for work in it, keys, phone, lunch and have carried my laptop as well on occasion.  
If you are going to hump a bag around, banging it and dragging it, the heavier bags will be better.  If it's main carry is from house to car to plane and back, the Outdoor Products will work. It's got a fair amount of padding tho.   Mine is a 27L bag I think.    
Not all tactical but it works.  Been durable enough.  

Good luck with your search!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top