Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2017 11:09:30 PM EDT
Looking for a set of FRS\GMRS handheld radios for the family.  Would like one that is:

Compatible with other FRS\GMRS radios (I have some Gen1 Talkabout radios)
Have and accessory adapter to use a mic.

Would prefer one that uses AA batteries or AAA batteries, but not drawing a hard line on that.

Anybody have any luck with these?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Major brand like Motorola, Cobra, Uniden, Midland.
I have always used Motorola.
Most all accept AA or AAA batteries.
All have about the same communication distance about 1/4 to 1/2 mile.
Some more expensive models may have weather channels.

I would go to a local big box store and see what they have in stock and compare to prices in Amazon.
Try and buy a package that has the accessories you want in the package.

Uniden has a submersible FRS radio that has rechargeable batteries/desk charger and ear bud/microphone that looks interesting for about $80 a pair.

Amazon.com" target="_blank">Link to Amazon.com

You can get radios much cheaper or more expensive depending on accessories and features.
Most features are not used but can sometimes come in handy like NOAA weather alert, scanning, CTCSS and DCS (way to ignore other people on same channel), Roger beep and more.

Ignore the claims of distance.  All will work about the same distance.

In the end all will work for 1/4 to 1/2 mile so buy what looks good to you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking for a set of FRS\GMRS handheld radios for the family.  Would like one that is:

Compatible with other FRS\GMRS radios (I have some Gen1 Talkabout radios)
Have and accessory adapter to use a mic.

Would prefer one that uses AA batteries or AAA batteries, but not drawing a hard line on that.

Anybody have any luck with these?
View Quote

Radio shack used to sell one that had a removeable antenna mount that ran on AA's-try to find some. With a directional antenna you can get really,really good county coverage. I have one, wish I had two..
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a /\/\otorola Talkabout Distance DPS that has a removable antenna.  I also have a mag-mount antenna that significantly boosts the range.  You can find them on ebay using the search term "talkabout DPS" or similar.  They are FRS\GMRS hybrid radio that make 2 watts.

Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a /\/\otorola Talkabout Distance DPS that has a removable antenna.  I also have a mag-mount antenna that significantly boosts the range.  You can find them on ebay using the search term "talkabout DPS" or similar.  They are FRS\GMRS hybrid radio that make 2 watts.

http://www.georgia-market.com/Dalton-/Electronics-/Used-motorola-uhf-talkabout-distance-dps-portable-radio-pics_image.jpg
View Quote

2 watts huh?   Are they compatible with other Talkabouts?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.georgia-market.com/Dalton-/Electronics-/Used-motorola-uhf-talkabout-distance-dps-portable-radio-pics_image.jpg

I believe they are.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would go to a local big box store and see what they have in stock and compare to prices in Amazon.

Uniden has a submersible FRS radio that has rechargeable batteries/desk charger and ear bud/microphone that looks interesting for about $80 a pair.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81ZUG8bwLyL._AC_UL115_.jpg
You can get radios much cheaper or more expensive depending on accessories and features.
Most features are not used but can sometimes come in handy like NOAA weather alert, scanning, CTCSS and DCS (way to ignore other people on same channel), Roger beep and more.

View Quote

1/2 mile?  I'm also looking for a GMRS radio to use for communication to home while snowmobiling.  There are a bunch on Amazon that say 30 miles.  Having never used one, is that malarky?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1/2 mile?  I'm also looking for a GMRS radio to use for communication to home while snowmobiling.  There are a bunch on Amazon that say 30 miles.  Having never used one, is that malarky?
View Quote
In real world conditions; complete malarkey.  Watts is a minor determinant of range, antenna height (and efficiency but that doesn't apply here) is far more important.  If you were on a 12,000' summit, and 30 miles away your home was on another 12,000' summit, then you might break the squelch on the home radio.  Whether anyone could understand your message is questionable.  

For 30 miles you'll need a VHF/UHF radio with a repeater (that are usually on summits) or a sat-phone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.  I have a few hand helds and a base station.  I guess I'll have to see if we have a local repeater.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go with a real part 90 Motorola, Icom, or Kenwood and have them programmed for GMRS and FRS. Obviously that can get expensive, but I am serious about having reliable communications and know what it takes to make that work. You are NOT doing it with bubble pack radios.

This is my Moto XPR7550e. I use it for Ham, GMRS, Business band, and FRS. FRS capability without all the restrictions that makes bubble pack radios suck.

Attachment Attached File

You can do the same with a cheaper radio like a Tytera MD-380/390.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would go with a real part 90 Motorola, Icom, or Kenwood and have them programmed for GMRS and FRS. Obviously that can get expensive, but I am serious about having reliable communications and know what it takes to make that work. You are NOT doing it with bubble pack radios.

This is my Moto XPR7550e. I use it for Ham, GMRS, Business band, and FRS. FRS capability without all the restrictions that makes bubble pack radios suck.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81988/IMG-20170224-173717-153210.JPG

You can do the same with a cheaper radio like a Tytera MD-380/390.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81988/IMG-20170224-174314-153212.JPG
View Quote

If those have removable antennas, then their operation on FRS is illegal.  GMRS operation would still require another license (independent from the amateur radio service).
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The first 7 FRS channels are shared with GMRS. With a GMRS license like I said above, you are not limited by FRS restrictions while staying compatible.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The first 7 FRS channels are shared with GMRS. With a GMRS license like I said above, you are not limited by FRS restrictions while staying compatible.
View Quote

So you're operating exclusively under GMRS rules on the shared frequencies?  Channels 8-14 are FRS exclusive, so detachable antenna is out.  1-7 would be out as well because of detachable antenna, but you can still operate under GMRS licensing (as you said).  That would mean that you are operating exactly zero channels under FRS rules.  I'm just trying to make sure we're on the same page here.

What I'm identifying here is that these freqs only work (legally) with a GMRS license.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So you're operating exclusively under GMRS rules on the shared frequencies?  Channels 8-14 are FRS exclusive, so detachable antenna is out.  1-7 would be out as well because of detachable antenna, but you can still operate under GMRS licensing (as you said).  That would mean that you are operating exactly zero channels under FRS rules.  I'm just trying to make sure we're on the same page here.

What I'm identifying here is that these freqs only work (legally) with a GMRS license.
View Quote

Yes, you need a GMRS license. If you don't have one, go get one. No test, a relatively inexpensive fee, covers everyone in your immediate family, and it lasts 5 years. You can communicate with FRS users on channel 1-7 with your GMRS radio.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, you need a GMRS license. If you don't have one, go get one. No test, a relatively inexpensive fee, covers everyone in your immediate family, and it lasts 5 years. You can communicate with FRS users on channel 1-7 with your GMRS radio.
View Quote
Agreed, simple to get, keeps you out of trouble. I have a GMRS repeater at my location that is run on a deep cycle battery and a trickle charger. The mast is up forty feet with a high gain dipole antenna and we get fair reception around the valley we are in. I have made a clean comm over 19 miles but I planned it as I knew I would be high and line of sight.

For the frs.gmrs side, We run baofengs, two types the bf-888s and the uv5r type when amateur spectrum is used along with the GMRS as far as programming/ I know these are cheap radios, the 888 I buy in lots of ten for 11 bucks a piece and program via chirp, I can write whatever channel needed fairly quick using chirp and distribute them for an event or get together. I do a bunch of volunteer security for private school events and use the admins (licensed)  freqs for some events or just use my private repeater if it;s close enough.

The uv5r type has more features out of the box than my Yaesu VX5r's had when new (pre mod). I've tested them in some critical situations and they performed well, even with a lot of TT

One thing I am going to try next time were out in the desert and canyons, is to hand program a few  440 repeaters that may be difficult to reach a 2m simplex channel then put the baofeng (not my vx5!!) in cross band mode and tie it to my DJI phantom drone and  hit 250 feet and give a shout to see if we can raise any repeaters that way. I'm really liking the drone thing LOL
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81ZUG8bwLyL._AC_UL115_.jpg

View Quote
I just got back from a turkey hunting trip in Alabama and used these exact radios.  Very disappointed. 1/2 mile tops range unless one of us was on top of a mountain, then a mile tops if there are no hills between us.  This on a hunt where it was routine for me to walk 2 miles before daylight.  Phones also only work if you are way up the hills.  
I'm looking for something better.....but i don't know if it exists.....

I have a couple of the Boefong uv5r radios but I don't have my HAM license yet so I haven't done any transmitting to test them out.  Will they do better?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just got back from a turkey hunting trip in Alabama and used these exact radios.  Very disappointed. 1/2 mile tops range unless one of us was on top of a mountain, then a mile tops if there are no hills between us.  This on a hunt where it was routine for me to walk 2 miles before daylight.  Phones also only work if you are way up the hills.  

I have a couple of the Boefong uv5r radios but I don't have my HAM license yet so I haven't done any transmitting to test them out.  Will they do better?
View Quote
Unless you have a repeater between them, doubtful. I have done maybe a mile and a half with minimal interference between two baofengs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unless you have a repeater between them, doubtful. I have done maybe a mile and a half with minimal interference between two baofengs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1~5 watts from a rubber ducky will always be 1~5 from a rubber ducky.  That's how hand held radios work...  
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This has been my experience as well, with nicer HTs also.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get a better antenna, will help tremendously. Genuine Hypario HPA-771 (Updated) sma Female 15.5" Dual Band Antenna.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top