Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2017 12:16:13 PM EDT
I've used Silva compasses as a kid in Boy Scouts.  I hear they moved manufacturing to Indonesia and they aren't as good as they once were.

Never owned a Suunto but I've heard good things.  Made in Finland.

Anybody used Suunto compass before?  Can you comment on quality?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
All my underwater compasses for scuba diving are made by Suunto and I've never had an issue with them.

I have 1 Suunto land nav compass and 2 Silvas- I don't see a dime's worth of difference in them, but I have to admit, the Silvas are least 15 years old.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used Silvas as a kid. I currently have two Suuntos: one baseplate and one clip-on wrist compass that I wear every day. I don't see much difference between the two with regard to quality, but Suunto has all my needs covered, so I see no reason to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]

I have a Suunto KB-20 that I keep with my GPS unit.  It is a lot easy to take sightings with the compass than a Map Compass.  I also have an old Silva map compass for when I need a map compass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
My Suunto MC2G has proven to be a quality item.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered a Silva Polaris high-viz and a Suunto M3 universal Northern hemisphere.  

The Silva is basic but reliable, just like I remember from 1980s Boy Scouts.  Bright yellow bearing dial is easy for older eyes to see.  Manual declination scale is good to have.

The Suunto is BIG.  Built tough.  I like the adjustable declination scale.  Plus it has the phosphorescent dots for use at night.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I just came here to post a thread looking for a compass.  So suunto is good to go then, nice.

I don't even have to wait for someone to reply to my post

Eta after reading here I ordered a suunto M3 as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just came here to post a thread looking for a compass.  So suunto is good to go then, nice.

I don't even have to wait for someone to reply to my post
View Quote

Before you buy, find the compass you want on Suunto's website, copy the model number down, and make sure the one you buy has that exact number.  I found a number of confusing item descriptions on Amazon where item description was incorrect. You dont want to end up with a Southern Hemisphere compass by accident.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Before you buy, find the compass you want on Suunto's website, copy the model number down, and make sure the one you buy has that exact number.  I found a number of confusing item descriptions on Amazon where item description was incorrect. You dont want to end up with a Southern Hemisphere compass by accident.
View Quote

Thanks

I've got a universal northern sitting in my cart. Hoping to pick up a few other things before checkout now
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:52:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I have and use Silva.  Been using them for decades.  I have some older models and current ones.  They all point to magnetic north.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Suunto mounted on my motorcycle.  The vibrations of the bike rattle the compass off it's true heading but it always resets the moment I stop.  Good stuff.

...but for camping, get thyself a Cammenga.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Suunto mounted on my motorcycle.  The vibrations of the bike rattle the compass off it's true heading but it always resets the moment I stop.  Good stuff.

...but for camping, get thyself a Cammenga.
View Quote

I love the form and function of my Cammenga, but I think the compass is a bit off.  Always seems very wobbly and takes forever for the compass to stop rotating.  I probably need to get a new one.  I don't even know how to use another type of compass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Suunto for both diving (wife and I each have one) and for land nav when hunting. Solid equipment.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used Suunto since the early 1990s at least and still have my original one.  They are good to go.  You can still get real Silva compasses overseas too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several of each. I even have a Silva from my Boy Scout days - fifty years ago. No complaints with either.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Silva Ranger or Suunto equivalent.

Mirror sighting compass is what you want, with adjustable declination.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Silva Ranger or Suunto equivalent.

Mirror sighting compass is what you want, with adjustable declination.
View Quote

I got a Suunto with adjustable declination.  That feature is the cat's ass! I like it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't know about the first, but I've had a suunto for about 25 years.   I used it back when I used to jet ski across the bay and look for inlets to cruise around in.  Mine got wet and banged around all the time and I still have it and it's fine.  I got the yellow rubber cover for it which I'm sure helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top