Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2016 11:58:57 PM EDT
I'm looking for a backpack I can carry a broken down AR in.  The Largest compartment needs to be at least 24.5"/25"-26" for my upper receiver to fit into.  

It should not have MOLLE straps, velcro or any of that other tactical stuff.  Preferably it would not be a backpack that is "narrow" as that, to me, is a dead giveaway that there might be a rifle in it.   It should be as wide as a normal backpack.  

It should also NOT be so big that I can pack all sorts of camping stuff in it.  I don't want to look like I'm camping.  I just want a backpack that can fit that thing inside of it if necessary and not scream "guns in here," while also being useful for every day carry of whatever.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Kelty Redwing 44 for my 11.5" AR Pistol with LAW folder. If the Redwing 44 isn't tall enough for you, then I'm sure the Redwing 50 would be.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out mystery ranch close outs right now. They have several that are very metro looking that I'm considering picking up that are all less than $100-125.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a backpack I can carry a broken down AR in.  The Largest compartment needs to be at least 24.5"/25"-26" for my upper receiver to fit into.  

It should not have MOLLE straps, velcro or any of that other tactical stuff.  Preferably it would not be a backpack that is "narrow" as that, to me, is a dead giveaway that there might be a rifle in it.   It should be as wide as a normal backpack.  

It should also NOT be so big that I can pack all sorts of camping stuff in it.  I don't want to look like I'm camping.  I just want a backpack that can fit that thing inside of it if necessary and not scream "guns in here," while also being useful for every day carry of whatever.
View Quote

I don't know of any state that allows everyday conceal carry of a rifle?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Troy_V

Are you running that backpack with the hip belt?  I have the same setup but vant make my mind up about the belt.  Also,  have you noticed wear on the internal fabric of the bag?  It seems kinda thin, but I understand it equals light weight.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I conceal what I want to conceal, when I want to conceal it. Shall not be infringed, bro.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I conceal what I want to conceal, when I want to conceal it. Shall not be infringed, bro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont use your one phone call to tell someone that. Call a lawyer instead.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
In Tennessee I don't believe this constitutes concealed carry.  I could be wrong but you need two separate actions to prevent conceled carry.  Action 1 taking off the back pack, unloading rifle from backpack, loading rifle with magazine,and then charging the rifle. Also, there are the actions of engaging the law folder if used, and even bigger is if the upper and lower are separated.  In my case with an SBR I am required to have control and protect it from unauthorized access which I use a TSA approved luggage lock.  I am of the mindset that All of these actions constitute as in transport and not on my person as a conceled carry.  

I would love to hear knowledgable opinions, specifically folks who know TN law.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Troy_V

Are you running that backpack with the hip belt?  I have the same setup but vant make my mind up about the belt.  Also,  have you noticed wear on the internal fabric of the bag?  It seems kinda thin, but I understand it equals light weight.
View Quote

I definitely run it with the hip belt. The hip belt greatly helps distribute the pack weight and provide stability to the pack.

I've only been running this setup for about 2 months, but I've had the AR pistol in and out dozens of times. There's not been any wear thus far. I think it'll hold up pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Tory_v,

Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity where do you carry your bag?  I'm looks by to use it on an almost daily basis, like an EDC, not just a range or bugout bag.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tory_v,

Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity where do you carry your bag?  I'm looks by to use it on an almost daily basis, like an EDC, not just a range or bugout bag.
View Quote

As loaded in the photos, its purpose is a get home bag. I basically transfer it between whichever vehicle I'm using that day. Without the AR pistol and GHB contents, I've used the backpack for airline travel and on vacations (mostly out of the country lately).
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Neat pack Troy. Cool setup overall.  Your Law Folder reminds me I need to ask my brother in law about his next time I visit.

Quoted:

View Quote

Iowa does.  No SBRs though, so you'd need a bigger pack here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

And that is why mine is an AR pistol
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Neat pack Troy. Cool setup overall.  Your Law Folder reminds me I need to ask my brother in law about his next time I visit.

View Quote

I have mixed feelings about the LAW folder. Mine is the latest Gen 3 version. It's pricey, and it's heavy. It's a bit wiggly also - not a completely solid lock-up. However, it's the only thing out there that allows me to do what I want to do with this pistol setup.

If you talk to your BIL, be sure you find out which version of the LAW folder he has. I understand there's quite a few improvements between the 3 generations.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm thinking about buying this pack.  Either the 44 or the 50.  Could you perhaps take a picture of yourself wearing that?  I want to see what it looks like in use.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Was that the OP's question?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I wanted something thats somewhat under the radar. Not much out there imo. At least that doesn't look like a gun case. This Blackhawk tennis/gun case seems about as good as it gets. 29" total in length. This 10.5" is 28" as shown and fits easy. I've read at 28.5" it get pretty tight.

Might have to slide the blade in for this 11.5" upper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm running an 8.5in with a flaming pig in a T.A.D lightspeed. It goes everywhere and is holding up just as I've come to expect from triple aught design.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#19]
This is not the most hi tech,
but it's simple, affordable
& effective for transporting
a rifle, carbine or a pistol.

I have had a local sewing lady
modify a small bag with a velcro
rip open seam down the length
of the bag, add some internal
tie down straps & reinforce the
shoulder strap for one of my
AR pistols.

Just my .02.

John

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw a guy carrying one of these collapsable chair bags walking around Tanger Mall in Pigeon Forge TN.  I knew exactly what it was when I saw it, and for the life of me I wondered how many people actually thought he was craying a chair around.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
You do have carry it in character
for you immediate AO. I can't
pull off a tennis racket no matter
where I go. 6' 1-1/2" and upper
200's just don't quite jive.

I was in PF Monday & I swear
that wasn't me! That was a
Glock Model 22 kind of day
for me!  

John

Quoted:
I saw a guy carrying one of these collapsable chair bags walking around Tanger Mall in Pigeon Forge TN.  I knew exactly what it was when I saw it, and for the life of me I wondered how many people actually thought he was craying a chair around.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could have stopped at "I don't know. "

ETA:  thought I was in GD.  The OP asks a question and you indicate it is illegal.  I know it is legal where I live.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#23]
In Alabama you can carry a rifle concealed or open. I run a keltec plr16 in a backpack no buffer tube.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm thinking about buying this pack.  Either the 44 or the 50.  Could you perhaps take a picture of yourself wearing that?  I want to see what it looks like in use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pro tip...watch woot for deals.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#25]
gee that funny I hav e done exactly that after checking the law fror exactly
probably 10-12

not counting the commie 1's which I wont go to anyway.

better ck the facts

ohio
tenn
nev
TEXAS
ariz
mo.
Idaho
montana
wy
la
miss
n.c.
s.c
ala.

probably a few more I cant ,  remember
used a tennis racket cs till I found a sneaky bag.
mp-5 or a 11.5"  d,.d. ar, with a law folder.

these I have PERSONALLY CKD  or had our lawyers do so.

1texan.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#26]
my 10.5" gun fits very nicely broken down inside of my Vertx Gamut Plus.  I'll provide pictures if you'd be interested in seeing it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.countycomm.com/satcom.html

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
gee that funny I hav e done exactly that after checking the law fror exactly
probably 10-12

not counting the commie 1's which I wont go to anyway.

better ck the facts

ohio
tenn
nev
TEXAS
ariz
mo.
Idaho
montana
wy
la
miss
n.c.
s.c
ala.

probably a few more I cant ,  remember
used a tennis racket cs till I found a sneaky bag.
mp-5 or a 11.5"  d,.d. ar, with a law folder.

these I have PERSONALLY CKD  or had our lawyers do so.

1texan.

View Quote

Not to be a dick, but I didn't understand not one bit of this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Double tennis racket bag from Dicks, $45.  Easily fits an assembled 12.5" SBR.  Wisconsin law does not allow concealed long guns in a vehicle.  But as a pistol and with a CCW license it's GTG.

10.5" AR pistol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top