Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2012 9:58:54 AM EDT
My wife found a recommendation for these in a prepping essentials catalog and wants to know if they are any good.

We're just getting started and water storage is one of our largest weaknesses.

Link Posted: 4/11/2012 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#1]
No offense, but buying water is retardedly expensive and wasteful - especially if you're just getting started.  Just buy decent water containers and start storing water.  It's not hard.  

Stay away from milk jugs and any water container made of the same looking material as milk jugs.  Cheap water containers include used juice and soda 2 and 3- liter containers, used syrup barrels from your local Coke or Pepsi bottler and Aquatainers from your local Walmart.  The quintessential water container is the MWC, about $25 each from buylci.com.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No offense, but buying water is retardedly expensive and wasteful - especially if you're just getting started.  Just buy decent water containers and start storing water.  It's not hard.  

Stay away from milk jugs and any water container made of the same looking material as milk jugs.  Cheap water containers include used juice and soda 2 and 3- liter containers, used syrup barrels from your local Coke or Pepsi bottler and Aquatainers from your local Walmart.  The quintessential water container is the MWC, about $25 each from buylci.com.

Good luck.

These are kits to store water, not water itself.

When the emergency requires you to evacuate, this basic 25 gallon boxed water kit possibly is, besides your family, the most important item to take with you. After filling, each water box weighs approximately 40 lbs. The basic 25 gallon boxed water kit includes five heavy-duty (stackable up to three high to save space) box each with its own metalized five-gallon water storage bag with pour spout. In an emergency, the heavy-duty boxes can be converted to portable toilets, making the basic 25 gallon boxed water kit even more useful. Value $40.00
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No offense, but buying water kits is retardedly expensive and wasteful - especially if you're just getting started.  Just buy decent water containers and start storing water.  It's not hard.  

Good luck.

When the emergency requires you to evacuate, this basic 25 gallon boxed water kit possibly is, besides your family, the most important item to take with you. After filling, each water box weighs approximately 40 lbs. The basic 25 gallon boxed water kit includes five heavy-duty (stackable up to three high to save space) box each with its own metalized five-gallon water storage bag with pour spout. In an emergency, the heavy-duty boxes can be converted to portable toilets, making the basic 25 gallon boxed water kit even more useful. Value $40.00

See edit above.  Still not smart:  $35 for some boxes and mylar bags.  You can do pretty much the same thing by reusing boxed wine containers.  You can do it even cheaper and with far more robust containers, as stated in my original post.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No offense, but buying water kits is retardedly expensive and wasteful - especially if you're just getting started.  Just buy decent water containers and start storing water.  It's not hard.  

Good luck.

See edit above.  Still not smart:  $35 for some boxes and mylar bags.  You can do pretty much the same thing by reusing boxed wine containers.  You can do it even cheaper and with far more robust containers, as stated in my original post.

Good luck.

I went to buylci.com and searched on water, but didn't find anything.  Should I look for "MWC"?
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Good luck.

I went to buylci.com and searched on water, but didn't find anything.  Should I look for "MWC"?

Here you go:

Military Water Can
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Good luck.

Here you go:

Military Water Can

That holds 5 gallons for $25.  What I linked holds 25 gallons for $35.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
They might work ok.  The thought of that much water in a mylar bag doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies though.  I bought 14 of the LCI cans, and they are bomb proof just like the ones we used in the military.  I also save and refill two liter bottles that we stack in the black plastic flats they use in the stores.

If cost were a major concern and they weren't going to be stored filled, I guess the mylar ones would definitely be better than nothing.  If a full one pops you'd have a mess.LOL  My Murphy's law imagination envisions a stack of filled boxes with one on top leaking and soaking the cardboard boxes under it with an ensuing cascade of bladders bouncing out onto the floor...   Probably not though.

You probably won't be doing this, but one thing to remember with regard to durability––-  You can throw a full LCI MWC out of the back of a deuce onto concrete, gravel, whatever, and it'll just get a scuff.  Other water containers?  Nah, don't think I'll try it.  

It'll all depend on what your storage scenario and environment are like to determine if the mylar is potentially worthwhile or not.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#8]
OP you're in GA. Water falls out of the sky all the time.

I'd get some decent robust water containers, consider sprayer tanks from any farm supply, a means to collect from your roof and a decent means to filter what you collect.

I've found nice used 15 gallon barrels on ebay and shipping wasn't much.

I wouldn't put water in mylar unless it was a PET labeled bottle or jug.

5 gallon PET water jugs are plentiful.

Key thought, appropriate filter, robust containers.

Link Posted: 4/11/2012 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They might work ok.  The thought of that much water in a mylar bag doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies though.  I bought 14 of the LCI cans, and they are bomb proof just like the ones we used in the military.  I also save and refill two liter bottles that we stack in the black plastic flats they use in the stores.

If cost were a major concern and they weren't going to be stored filled, I guess the mylar ones would definitely be better than nothing.  If a full one pops you'd have a mess.LOL  My Murphy's law imagination envisions a stack of filled boxes with one on top leaking and soaking the cardboard boxes under it with an ensuing cascade of bladders bouncing out onto the floor...   Probably not though.

You probably won't be doing this, but one thing to remember with regard to durability––-  You can throw a full LCI MWC out of the back of a deuce onto concrete, gravel, whatever, and it'll just get a scuff.  Other water containers?  Nah, don't think I'll try it.  

It'll all depend on what your storage scenario and environment are like to determine if the mylar is potentially worthwhile or not.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I like the MWC (have one to go on the truck), but I was thinking mass local storage. Say, 100-120 gallons in the basement.

Quoted:
OP you're in GA. Water falls out of the sky all the time.

I'd get some decent robust water containers, consider sprayer tanks from any farm supply, a means to collect from your roof and a decent means to filter what you collect.

I've found nice used 15 gallon barrels on ebay and shipping wasn't much.

I wouldn't put water in mylar unless it was a PET labeled bottle or jug.

5 gallon PET water jugs are plentiful.

Key thought, appropriate filter, robust containers.

I've thought about rainwater collection, but not until pollen season has passed. I had planned on this as a primary water storage solution at our BOL in the mountains (if we ever find land to buy).
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Instead of storing water... buy something that can filter water.... Sawyer makes a good filter that's good for 1 million gallons....  Carrying a filter is a lot less weight then carrying water...
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My wife found a recommendation for these in a prepping essentials catalog and wants to know if they are any good.

http://beprepared.com/images/500/KW-S100.jpg

You need a minimum of 1GA/person/day.  For a family of 4 it is about 30 Ga/wk and 120 Ga/Mo, and that's the minimum just for consumption!  In my opinion one needs a few months of emergency water in storage.  In addition to saving water you will need the means for collecting and filtering water.

I have bought 50 Ga plastic drums from costco (Sams has them cheaper) and complemented it with the 7 Ga reliance containers (more portable) at walmart along with 1 GA juice jugs and water bottles (most portable).

I also have a well in the back yard, but depending on the emergency it may be unusable.  I am working on a good/reasonably priced water filtering system.

In my opinion water preparation (just like food, first aid, tools, security, etc) should fit into YOUR larger emergency plan.  e.g. if bugging in, Large drums may be acceptable, bugging out - you will need portable containers and have water stored at your destination.  The right answer is probably a right mix of two.

Mylar water bags may have a place in your preps, but I don't see it!  Their primary problem is that they are not resilient enough.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need a minimum of 1GA/person/day.  For a family of 4 it is about 30 Ga/wk and 120 Ga/Mo, and that's the minimum just for consumption!  In my opinion one needs a few months of emergency water in storage.  In addition to saving water you will need the means for collecting and filtering water.

I have bought 50 Ga plastic drums from costco (Sams has them cheaper) and complemented it with the 7 Ga reliance containers (more portable) at walmart along with 1 GA juice jugs and water bottles (most portable).

I also have a well in the back yard, but depending on the emergency it may be unusable.  I am working on a good/reasonably priced water filtering system.

In my opinion water preparation (just like food, first aid, tools, security, etc) should fit into YOUR larger emergency plan.  e.g. if bugging in, Large drums may be acceptable, bugging out - you will need portable containers and have water stored at your destination.  The right answer is probably a right mix of two.

Mylar water bags may have a place in your preps, but I don't see it!  Their primary problem is that they are not resilient enough.

Good response, thanks.  My plan is to get ~120 gallons at the house in case we bug in.  Get ~120 gallons at the BOL.  And then get ~5-20 gallons for transit to the BOL.  Initial need is the 120 gallons at home.  There is no BOL yet (other than my parents who have a river), and mobile water for 1 day is as easy as grabbing a crate of bottled water from the garage.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good response, thanks.  My plan is to get ~120 gallons at the house in case we bug in.  Get ~120 gallons at the BOL.  And then get ~5-20 gallons for transit to the BOL.  Initial need is the 120 gallons at home.  There is no BOL yet (other than my parents who have a river), and mobile water for 1 day is as easy as grabbing a crate of bottled water from the garage.

Water Bob probably has a place in your preps as well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, I had not seen that.  We could store 300 gallons with that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can not have water sit in those for months.  I guess if you have an extra tub and you treat the water it should be fine, but generally It's just a last minute (before storm,  tornado in the area, etc. ) prep.

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can not have water sit in those for months.  I guess if you have an extra tub and you treat the water it should be fine, but generally It's just a last minute (before storm,  tornado in the area, etc. ) prep.

Yep, understood.  Getting 300 gallons would let us share with others.  We'd never use it all ourselves.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 3:37:33 AM EDT
[#17]
imho i plan for 2 gallons per day per person ( but thats down here where its hotter than balls)

my get up is as such-

blitz 6 gallon jerry cans ( stronger and better than aquatainers which everyone i have had failed)

15 gallon water barrels.

store bought flats of water

secondary storage- about 100 nalgenes and USGI canteens and bladders.

filtration-

survival straws

katadyn pocket filter

kayadyn mini

katadyn hiker

katadyn ceradyn drip

bleach

i have the means to have water while bugged in,  and on the go- either on foot or in a BOV.

the other means linked water BOBs, mylar boxes etc,are a "temporary" means imho. The blitz and aqutainers ( even though they suck) and even soda bottles are better since they can be used over and over and are a tad sturdier

ymmv

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I find the best way to store water is to dehydrate it. I have over 500 gallons of dehydrated water in a one gallon can and it hasn't even put a dent in it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I find the best way to store water is to dehydrate it. I have over 500 gallons of dehydrated water in a one gallon can and it hasn't even put a dent in it.

Do you treat it first or after it's dehydrated?

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 4:29:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you treat it first or after it's dehydrated?

I find that the dehydrated water is thirst provoking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Storing water in cardboard boxes?

I'll pass.

Yeah, I know the water is in a mylar bag, but water drips, leaks, etc, etc and that will take a toll on the boxes over time. Not to mention humidity.

MWC are 4-5X more, but will last literally decades and are pretty much indestructible.  Water is heavy and moving heavy cardboard boxes will cause them to fail over time.  Good luck trying to take any water by vehicle if you have to bug out if you water is in those things.  My MWC have been moved 3X, taken on many hunting trips,  and are as sound aesthetically and structurally as  the day they were bought.

Maybe I'm wrong, but OP seems more intent on having his choice validated than honest opinions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm wrong, but OP seems more intent on having his choice validated than honest opinions.

Isn't that what most of us want after we have made a mediocre choice on something?

I think there is nothing inherently "wrong" with this choice, especially if the water is just going to sit in the basement and never be moved. I am not sure how you rotate your water supply with this system.

Given that Walmart sells 6 gallon Aquatainers for <$10, I am not sure this option even saves you all that much money.

For bulk storage this does not save you any money over used 55 gallon plastic barrels. For storage of water that might need to be moved, it is only marginally less expensive. I am not sure just how robust this solution is for stored water that might need to be carried somewhere, like in a car on a BO.

BTW, for those of you who have not considered it, you can often acquire the plastic polycarbonate 5 gallon water bottles for water coolers pretty cheap. <$10.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You are wrong.  I was only seeking open minded opinions.  I find that a lot of time, people don't actually read the first post and respond based on key words, the title, etc.

Just want to make sure I understand all my options - I have ruled this one out based on feedback.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#24]
One gallon of water per person per day is most like inadequate. In an emergency, such has heavy exertion etc, you will use 3-4 gallons per day easily. And factor in warm/hot weather that could be more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top