Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I am bumping this thread because:

During the October parking lot sale you *may* be able to pick up this kit for $119

Above is the flyer, the kit is listed for $149.99 and this is without a coupon, bring a 20% off coupon with you and you can pick it up for $119. If the teenage cashier give you shit, demand the manager give him shit, and he will sell it to you for $119. It has worked for me in the past with other stuff.

I plan on doing this and will report back, but of course not till October.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I am running to HF today to try using the coupon with the parking lot sale price. I called and the girl on the phone seemed to think it would be okay. It better be since I have to drive 45 mins to get there.

I really do need more output than the single system if I am going to run the occasional microwave, rice cooker, and bread maker. Its all about how quickly I can replace the amp hours I use up. I will buy a better system later, but this one is a great learning tool for not a lot of money. I might only be able to run a larger appliance every few days for a few hours, but its worth the trouble to save gas.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 10:56:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ljh824] [#3]
They let me use the 20% coupon WITH the sale price.  Final price was $119.  Picked it up yesterday and they had two pallets worth here in Orlando.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By ljh824:

They let me use the 20% coupon WITH the sale price.  Price was $119.  Picked up up yesterday and they had two pallets worth here in Orlando.

That is a great deal.

I am up to my eyeballs in solar panels right now, otherwise I would pick up a few of those kits at that price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
They let me use the 20% coupon WITH the sale price.  Price was $119.  Picked up up yesterday and they had two pallets worth here in Orlando.

I had no problems using the coupon with the sale price in Austintown Ohio. They only had 3 left outside, but they may have more in back.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By capnrob97:

That is a great deal.  

I am up to my eyeballs in solar panels right now, otherwise I would pick up a few of those kits at that price.

I know, I wish I could have picked up a few of them, but have a few other priorities right now.  I have two kits which I'm hoping to link together at some point.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of people have cried about the cost per watt being to high.

But seems if you catch these things at the right time, these units are very competitively priced. $119 is $2.64 per watt, which is pretty good.

I almost picked up a second set of panels, when I was at harbor freight today buying the two 800 watt generators. But I had to make a choice, two generators, or one set of panels (due to financial constraints) I went with the generators (for Christmas gifts). Wish I could have bought these at $119, cause if i recall correctly, the set I picked up almost two years ago was $159 (which I thought was a steal)

Congrats to those of you that got these for $119.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw them at the parking lot sale for 249 today and thought that was a decent deal. Then I read this thread and see them for 119! Wow..
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys check this site out it has all your calculations and info on solar and batteries.

http://www.solar4power.com/solar-power-basics.html

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:36:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kstanton] [#10]
They let me use the 20% coupon WITH the sale price.  Final price was $119.  Picked it up yesterday and they had two pallets worth here in Orlando.

Where is this coupon?

ETA: Nevermind
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#11]
for the greater good, and to promote this fantastic thread....I searched for 20 minutes to find it, just to give it a 2011 bump

Any updates?

My set is still holding out just fine (2 yrs +, on top of a camper!). Although I did not opt to purchase a second set. Recently bought a 25 watt Polycrystalline panel on the cheap, and a micro 30 watt wind turbine (also on the cheap) and have been playing with this new setup.

For some reason this thread died. Lets keep it going, before its archived!
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple sets still chugging away in the side yard.  I need to check the battery, last I checked it a few months ago it was still topped off.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, the two I originally installed are still working with the one charge controller.
I still have not gotten around to swapping our the charge controller.

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone successfully used the Harbor Freight panels to power a well pump?  I'm looking for info using them to make a well pump for my dad's cattle.  I found a link once that talked about using them on the internet but can't find it now.  If you  have what DC well pump are you using?  I would need something with about 80 foot head, with a little as 1/2 to 1 gpm.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#15]
harbor freight has these on sale again on there website, list for $159.99 but if you use the code EBATES10 it will give you 10% off, bringing it down $143.99 . Only down side is that you pay $13 shipping.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I pick one of these, at last, this weekend at the store. They didn't let me use the 20% off.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By airborne89:
I pick one of these, at last, this weekend at the store. They didn't let me use the 20% off.

You did not argue enough.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

this plus 1, the manager always caves when there is a group of people waiting to check out. Put your shame aside and stir some shit up, I almost feel bad for that poor SOB that has to take shit from everyone for $15 bucks an hour.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:

this plus 1, the manager always caves when there is a group of people waiting to check out. Put your shame aside and stir some shit up, I almost feel bad for that poor SOB that has to take shit from everyone for $15 bucks an hour.

I have never had to argue that much.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I threw away the frame it came with.....

Tripod is now anchored to a concrete pad.....got a storage pipe mounted to the wall in the shed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Echo2:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1319/5170164708_ce23b84e96.jpg

Tripod is now anchored to a concrete pad.....got a storage pipe mounted to the wall in the shed.

Nice!

That looks like a portable satellite dish mount tripod. right? might want to hang a cinder block from a rope from the center of the base. It keeps the wind from moving it around.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#22]

I did talk to the manager, but I was about the only one in the store and had no one wanting to check out behind me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Echo2:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1319/5170164708_ce23b84e96.jpg

Nice!

That looks like a portable satellite dish mount tripod. right? might want to hang a cinder block from a rope from the center of the base. It keeps the wind from moving it around.

The tripod is mounted to a concrete patio for now.....the whole upper assembly can be moved inside for storage.....but the tripod stays put.

The back is from a small sat dish....

probably going to replace the tripod with a pipe mounted in the patio.....and use the tripod for comm antenna.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#24]
So glad I seen this post. Glad you kept it out of archive. Thanks for the info folks, picked up 2 kits today.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I scored 2 kits for $140 off Craigslist.  I was going to get a kit with the coupon for $150 then decided to check Craigslist before I headed out.  Seller was even closer to me than the HF store and I now have 6 panels!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slanky] [#27]
Probably going to pick one of these kits up today using one of the $149.99 coupons.  Too bad I can't combine it with the 20% coupon that I also have

ETA: Got one - testing the first panel as the sun went down:

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#28]
bump.

Recent wind storm knocked down some 1 inch limps from a tree the camper is parked under, hit the panels....no damage. Panels were covered in bird shit, so I cleaned them up. Working great.

I want more panels, but I am running out of roof space on my camper:

See prior pic I posted awhile back:

So in an effort to revive this dead thread, what is the Team's overall consensus on the panels? Find space or buy better, smaller panels?

Looking at these two:

http://www.solarblvd.com/p2461/Solarland-35-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

http://www.solarblvd.com/p2462/Solarland-45-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: capnrob97] [#29]
I have several of these kits, but as they wear out (these types of panels are going to only last 5 years or so in FL sun), I am replacing with monocrystaline ones.
I just put two 110 watt ones up to keep 4 golf cart batteries charged.
I got the panels, and a Morningstar MPPT controller for $500 last year.  These panels should last 20 years or so.

These are the panels:

Batteries:

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:20:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#30]
bump.

Recent wind storm knocked down some 1 inch limps from a tree the camper is parked under, hit the panels....no damage. Panels were covered in bird shit, so I cleaned them up. Working great.

I want more panels, but I am running out of roof space on my camper:

See prior pic I posted awhile back:

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/100_1374-solar.jpg

So in an effort to revive this dead thread, what is the Team's overall consensus on the panels? Find space or buy better, smaller panels?

Looking at these two:

http://www.solarblvd.com/p2461/Solarland-35-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

http://www.solarblvd.com/p2462/Solarland-45-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

RE HF...

Take too much space/area per watt vs more modern panels at similar cost.

Good convenient way to get ones feet wet with solar.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:34:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#31]
Never-mind! (I may have answered my own question - and stumbled into a super, UPS set-up!)  
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#32]
field and stream has coupons for $140- limit 5. coupon number-22202436
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By posifour11:

thanks for the heads up. I put the code in online and it worked

1 (x) $199.99
coupon code: 22202436 Discount: -$60.00
$139.99

Can I buy field and stream at a local news stand? like walgreens? I have never read the magazine.
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#34]

1 (x) $199.99
$139.99

Can I buy field and stream at a local news stand? like walgreens? I have never read the magazine.

i would assume so. i know walmart has them. if you buy online, you just need the code. but, if you are going in to the store, you'd need the coupon.

Link Posted: 4/5/2011 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#35]

1 (x) $199.99
$139.99

i would assume so. i know walmart has them. if you buy online, you just need the code. but, if you are going in to the store, you'd need the coupon.

thanks, I will check out wally world.

I don't want to buy online because of the $28 dollar shipping fee, which kinda kills the deal.

Link Posted: 4/5/2011 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Not to derail the thread, but it seemed closely related enough that maybe I could slip it in here.  If there's another more appropriate place, somebody feel free to point me there.

Does anyone have any input on the Sunforce 60w kit that is kinda similar to the HF unit?  I picked one of those up on sale at Menard's a couple of weeks ago and would love to hear other's experiences with it, if any.  I know the inverter is pretty much crap, but the panels seem to be well-constructed.  Just picked up a battery this last weekend so I haven't really done any fiddling with it yet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By midmo:
Not to derail the thread, but it seemed closely related enough that maybe I could slip it in here.  If there's another more appropriate place, somebody feel free to point me there.

Does anyone have any input on the Sunforce 60w kit that is kinda similar to the HF unit?  I picked one of those up on sale at Menard's a couple of weeks ago and would love to hear other's experiences with it, if any.  I know the inverter is pretty much crap, but the panels seem to be well-constructed.  Just picked up a battery this last weekend so I haven't really done any fiddling with it yet.

My parents bought that kit for RV camping. They just got it but really seem to like it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Thankfully I set this topic in my "subscribe" folder. I just set mine up and realized AFTER looking in here again that the switch had to be on to charge the batts. Plus a bump for the new folks for great info.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#41]
That's the price for the Genny.

The solar kit is $149.  At least here....
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Friendly bump
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:47:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smithy] [#44]
Originally Posted By capnrob97:
I have several of these kits, but as they wear out (these types of panels are going to only last 5 years or so in FL sun), I am replacing with monocrystaline ones.

I just put two 110 watt ones up to keep 4 golf cart batteries charged.

I got the panels, and a Morningstar MPPT controller for $500 last year.  These panels should last 20 years or so.

These are the panels:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/DSC_1688.jpg

Batteries:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/DSC_1689.jpg

what kind of panels are those? link?

I am wanting to build a cheap set up that will charge 2 deep cycle batteries during the day and plan on using the batteries for small things like laptops, a few lights and maybe a TV, and a fan for a power out scenario. Nothing fancy but im trying to keep my budget below $300 and i want some panels that will last at least ten years if taken care of. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry if this is like "what AR should I buy?" questions, But I have NO experience with solar, or electricity besides jump starting a car

Requirements: Power source to charge phone or laptop and for powering a hotplate in the event of a power disruption. Not looking to power a fridge or anything like that. I would store the kit and battery in my garage disconnected until needed.

It looks like I will need the Kit, something called a "Maxx 29/ 125AH battery" an a inverter of unknown wattage, and an heavy duty extension cord. I suppose I will also need to build a box of some sort to protect the battery and inverter from the elements.

does it sound like this will meet my needs? How should I store the battery? charged, empty? Inverter recommendations? One or two batteries?

I hope I didn't dumb down this thread!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#46]
Originally Posted By ROTCatCU:
Sorry if this is like "what AR should I buy?" questions, But I have NO experience with solar, or electricity besides jump starting a car

Requirements: Power source to charge phone or laptop and for powering a hotplate in the event of a power disruption. Not looking to power a fridge or anything like that. I would store the kit and battery in my garage disconnected until needed.

It looks like I will need the Kit, something called a "Maxx 29/ 125AH battery" an a inverter of unknown wattage, and an heavy duty extension cord. I suppose I will also need to build a box of some sort to protect the battery and inverter from the elements.

does it sound like this will meet my needs? How should I store the battery? charged, empty? Inverter recommendations? One or two batteries?

I hope I didn't dumb down this thread!

If you are planning to power a hotplate, I doubt if this will do the trick.

Why not get a single burner Coleman stove?

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I would prefer not to stockpile fuel for a Coleman stove. Wouldn't I simply need to buy a hotplate with output less than the inverter? Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:22:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ROTCatCU:
I would prefer not to stockpile fuel for a Coleman stove. Wouldn't I simply need to buy a hotplate with output less than the inverter? Thanks for the reply

What batteries are you going to run the inverter with and how will you charge them up?

What are your fuel storage concerns?

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#49]
The hotplate is a real deal killer. Find another way to heat your food.

Small systems like this really don't work well on inverters, either. There is a loss of energy when you convert to AC.  A system this size is good for keeping electronics topped off with 12V, USB adapters or charging AA batteries.  You could have an inverter on hand for emergencies, but If you try to run it on a regular basis your batteries will likely be chronically under charged.  

I'd also recommend having the system out and using it, at least to keep the battery topped off.

Finally, I'll mention you could also put together a 100W+ plus system with quality name brand components for about $500.00, if budget allows.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#50]
For Us NON Solar people can any one tell me can those 149.00 kits run anything besides just charging batteries?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top