Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not finished yet but mine will be upright on the bottom row of a shelf.  I have six of the 15-gal drums and basically the shelf will be nothing more then a homemade skid type shelf deep enough for two drums to fit next to each other front to back.  My LCI water cans will be sotored on the second shelf above the drums and they will be stored upright too.  Our smaller water bottles (8 and 16oz) are with our normal pantry items as we rotate through those as part of daily life.  I would not be uncomfortable storting the 15s on their side as they seal very well but upright keeps the cap as high as possible in case the basement would ever flood - not that we have ever had any water in the basement.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
well... I can kind of cheat... I've got them on pallets with pallet jacks. I've also got a forklift...

i got mine for $10 a piece, but $20 aint bad. How many can you fit on a pallet, four? Trying to think of a good way to keep them off the ground.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Just ordered mine.  Will give an AAR when they get here
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link and coupon code

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I finally got mine in.  Outside was well used on a few.  The inside was nasty on 2.  Looks like the syrup fermented!!!!!!!!!!

Have them soaking for now,  don't know if the "Flavor" will come out?????
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I finally got mine in. Outside was well used on a few. The inside was nasty on 2. Looks like the syrup fermented!!!!!!!!!!

Have them soaking for now, don't know if the "Flavor" will come out?????

Flavor comes out fine...  I drank water out of mine after it was cleaned and I could not taste the Dr Pepper.  Now, I don't know if I will taste it after a few months again but I also added bleach so I doubt it would be the Dr Pepper I taste.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I finally got mine in. Outside was well used on a few. The inside was nasty on 2. Looks like the syrup fermented!!!!!!!!!!

Have them soaking for now, don't know if the "Flavor" will come out?????

Flavor comes out fine... I drank water out of mine after it was cleaned and I could not taste the Dr Pepper. Now, I don't know if I will taste it after a few months again but I also added bleach so I doubt it would be the Dr Pepper I taste.

Bleach.......that's what I need to add. I have mine soaking in soapy water now.
5sub

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Only one of the two small bung hole caps came with a gasket
http://www.quarterbore.com/images/shtf/water/30gal-water-005.jpg

There are at least two different bung styles.  The two small bungs shown in your photo are different syles.  The style on the left has a "flare" on the mating suface that compresses and forms a seal.  I believe it is a gasketless design.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only one of the two small bung hole caps came with a gasket

There are at least two different bung styles. The two small bungs shown in your photo are different syles. The style on the left has a "flare" on the mating suface that compresses and forms a seal. I believe it is a gasketless design.

Is it collectable? Want to trade for a bung with a gasket

Honestly, it really looked to be the same as the other one just missing the gasket but I am no expert. I did figure out if it was tightened down with the wrench that it didn't leak but I do want to get a gasket to be safe. I'll have to look at it more now that you say this however.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are not confident in the gasketless design, I think an o-ring would probably work better than a flat gasket.  If you shave the flare down I suspect a flat gasket would be fine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quarterbore, thank for the find and others for the discount and bung wrench info.  I ordered 4 of the drums and two wrenches.  I will have to store them in the basement because of the danger of freezing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#12]
+1

I just ordered a couple myself.  Cheers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I got 2 of the 4 I ordered so far.  

Harbor Freight sent me a back-order notice on the bung hole openers.  I ordered two.  I may give them a call tomorrow so see when they're coming in if I have time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]
damn you internet!  thanks to the lure of a discount coupon, i just ordered 5 of these 15 ga soda pop barrels.  and now i wait.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top