Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
375 Ruger here shooting 300 grain flat points. No such thing as cover.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 300 winmag, but I didn't buy it as a prep. I bought it as a hunting rifle.
View Quote

I second this ---    It doesnt hurt to have a "big rifle" around and perhaps 200 loaded rounds of ammo  --   I have had a .300 Weatherby Mag and am shopping for another one as i have ample brass to keep it running -- but its just not a gun i would normally shoot more than 10 or 15x a year (round count)   unless i was trying to dial it in for a big hunt

I only got through the first page and had to shake my head at things like breaking down engine blocks and the like ---    

If i have to engage in shooting multiple targets at distances beyond what my AR's or M1A can handle --- well, that sounds more like being on the offensive rather than defensive , unless im shooting at an elk or moose at 500 yards or so --  (not likely in Oklahoma , but who knows )

The setup i am looking for (weatherby Vanguard with perhaps a Nikon or Vari-x 2 optic ) should cost me less than a thousand bucks total.    Ammo prices for big magnums is scary though - hence the reason i am looking for something i already have brass and primers for
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That telephone pole as cover? Bwa HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think it is a good idea living rural, personally. What are your thoughts?
View Quote

Define "heavy magnum rifle."  

I have a .350 Rem. Magnum M600 carbine, a 300 H&H Ruger #1,  a 375 H&H BRNO 602, and a CZ 550 in .404 Jeffrey.

Is that the class of "heavy magnum" rifles you're asking about?

I do live rural but I purchased these for hunting, not strictly for "prepping."
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in a rural area as well. I do have some magnum rifles however hunting and long range shooting are two hobbies of mine. I didn’t buy the rifles with the intent of them being a deliberate prep however since I own them and capabilities to use them if the situation were to arise that they are needed i have them. I think they fall into the nice to have not need to have category and I would only consider them if you have some practical use for them that will encourage you to train with them. If you’re going to buy a 300win mag and stick it in the safe unfired and think you will grab it in the time of need and magically be transformed into an instant sniper you’re mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The mentality of some here is pretty far out there in left field. Unless you are planning to carry a heavy magnum in lieu of your main rifle in a shtf scenario which I'm assuming is societal collapse, buying it specifically for engine blocks is about as useless as buying a tank to use as a daily driver today. It'll be left behind when going about your daily activities.

And when going about your daily activities like going into town to barter for goods or to get news, will you tell a vehicle to slow down while you run on home to get it? Or will you have it on you to use as a daily driver for anything that pops off compromising your ability to move and fire multiple rounds like you could from a platform that is more suited for general combat?

Armies from around the world equipn their soldiers with general issue rifles of smaller calibers for a reason.

And if it's a checkpoint that you are manning coming into town behind barriers, you are still better served with a regular rifle specifically designed for general combat since you aren't going to be the only one there.

View Quote
Sometimes you want to buy something "just because", and you need to think of a reason to justify the purchase.  I think this thread is one of those times.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I went with 6.5 CM. So i dont think that counts but it will do everything i need
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
375 H&H here , I had and opportunity to try it on bullet resistant glass. The glass would stop a 12 gauge. 375 H&H, lol .
Can you say death by blunt force trauma.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Define "heavy magnum rifle."  

I have a .350 Rem. Magnum M600 carbine, a 300 H&H Ruger #1,  a 375 H&H BRNO 602, and a CZ 550 in .404 Jeffrey.

Is that the class of "heavy magnum" rifles you're asking about?

I do live rural but I purchased these for hunting, not strictly for "prepping."
View Quote

I think all of those "qualify" ---  the original post seems kinda' vague

But a .350 Mag in a M600? --  Ouch !    
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
. If you’re going to buy a 300win mag and stick it in the safe unfired and think you will grab it in the time of need and magically be transformed into an instant sniper you’re mistaken.
View Quote

Thats a big no shit --- i mentioned looking for a .300 Weatherby.    I anticipate its going to take me more than a few rounds to get up to speed on recoil management again before i would even feel comfortable shooting at,  say- a deer with a vitals area of around 9 inches -- at 200 yards
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OP was meant to stir up a conversation, bringing in all sorts of view points.
View Quote

Which we need in this forum right now.  I has been slow as fuck here for a long while.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think it is a good idea living rural, personally. What are your thoughts?
View Quote

I've  got them.    Not quite sure what I'd use them for in SHTF.   300 Win Mag, 376 Steyr, and 458 Win Mag plus a poodle shooter or two should work for anything that walks the earth.

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

300 WM is what I settled on for now.

50 some day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A good rifle at least 30-06 or higher is a good idea. 300 Win Mag would be a good start.

300 WM is what I settled on for now.

50 some day.

.50 can be handy when the rangefinder says the gate is 806yds from the door, and you ever see a need to stop a vehicle that smashed through a gate that was chained/padlocked to keep people/vehicles out.

I wonder if regular visible posts with range markings/wind flags and anchoring a metal Keep Out sign with .50 holes coming out the front and a big white 'X' on the back might help get the message across if some kind of deterrent were ever needed in Minecraft?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Texas National Guard proved M855A1 does the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  For those who don't see the need, have you thought about anti-material? Being able to disable an engine from a ways out seems valuable in certain Maxian scenarios.

Texas National Guard proved M855A1 does the job.

Ooo... link, please?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Threads like this always make me wonder how many of us live in a gun room with all types of weapons racked and ready go.

If things got bad I am much more likely to have my nightstand pistol at hand and most everything else in a vault.  If it's gotten so bad that I am staying awake watching roving bands of baddies, then I shoulda probably left the house for my parents farm.

Don't picture me having time to calmly pick just the right firearm to fit the need.  "Hmmm, what round for the F250 charging up my street packed full of looters?".

Doesn't stop me from buying stuff, like the deal someone posted on PSA 12 ga. slugs.  But in reality most of what I buy will gather dust then go to my son's someday.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think all of those "qualify" ---  the original post seems kinda' vague

But a .350 Mag in a M600? --  Ouch !    
View Quote

300 win mag, 7mm, 300 ultra mag, 338 lapua or win mag, and 50bmg are probably going to be the most common magnum rifle rounds out there.  Some people have big game rifles with massive power, but I can't imagine those being very useful outside of hunting.

For the sake of argument, I'd say 300 win mag and up should cover the definition of magnum rifles for this thread.  You're talking about 3500 and up in ft/lbs of energy.  That's a lot of power.  That's going to defeat most body armor or at least hospitalize any bad guy whose plate takes a round.  All but heavy and thick cover is going to be questionable for stopping rounds like this.  Vehicles are likely to be damaged or stopped if hit in the engine.  Any game outside of elephants and cape buffalo should be able to be hunted with these rounds.  

For the purposes of prepping, the above listed rounds (or similar ones I've missed) are going to be the most useful.  There is some availability in sporting goods stores.  Most of them are bolt guns with magazines that can probably hold at least 5 rounds.  Many will also have rails or have the ability to run a decent optic.  Muzzle breaks or flash hiders will exist on some of them.  

I run a 300 win mag bolt action with an 8 round magazine and a 24 inch barrel.  It has a break, a variable power optic, and has a bottom rail for a bipod.  If I need a long range, high powered rifle for any prepping scenario, this should check all the boxes.  

Then again, if you want power and practicality for prepping, an AR-10 pattern rifle is probably your best bet.  A high powered bolt gun is going to be useful for some narrow situations at best.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Any game outside of elephants and cape buffalo should be able to be hunted with these rounds.
View Quote

https://chuckhawks.com/bell_elephants.htm

He killed 800 of his 1011 elephants with a 275 rigby and ball military Ammo.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I would love a 338 or even a 6.5 CM. all I have is a wimpy 6mmBr.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Oops
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anybody remember the nut job from Zanesville OH that released all the exotic animals?  I doubt anyone in Ohio had lions and tigers and bears oh my running loose on a Tuesday on their bingo card.
That little issue required more horsepower than 223 or 308 so OP has a valid question.
View Quote

I talked to one of the deputies involved in that safari. They used what they had IIRC.  223 and 12 gauge. If someone let's all the animals put of the zoo, I'm stuck with a 12 gauge, M1 rifle, and AR15 with 40rd mags.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:10:46 AM EDT
[#23]
A few on hand with associated reloading components:
.338 Win Mag
.340 Weatherby
.416 Rigby
.444 Marlin
.45-70

That pretty much scratches the itch until I get closer to .50 BMG
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Everyone has AR15s now, left, right, gang bangers, nutjobs, etc...  Many people also has armor.  People can choose to armor themselves with equivalent weapons in a SHTF scenario, or you could be smart and look for an advantage.  50s provide a huge step change in your ability to defend against marauding bad guys.  And AP ammo is plentiful.  Even ball is steel core and will do a lot against cover.
View Quote

On this point one does not want parity with an adversary. If you’re a wrestler going into a fight with a boxer you don’t try to out box him.

You want to be able to take advantage of the attributes of both the area and the adversary. If they are coming with AR’s then it would be better to catch them in open terrain at further engagement distances where the effectiveness of .556 drops off.

Conversely if they have long range rifles you want to try to engage them in close quarters with more capacity and faster followups.

So I don’t think necessarily a magnum rifle but at least a scoped hunting rifle and practice at longer ranges has its place. This might actually be your go too if you live in wide open country.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Since reading more through this thread after the above post and seeing the topic hang up on vehicles look at it this way.

As previously described a shot on a moving vehicle with a bolt or lever gun hoping to disable it is a difficult proposition.

One poster pointed out there’s a reason for belt feds. Since we don’t have that option what provides a similar effect?

Multiple semi auto’s firing on the same vehicle. So I’d argue that sticking with an AR and sticking together is a better option than reaching for or always carrying a magnum rifle. And because in SHTF numbers is consistently the best force multiplier multiple AR’s might be more important than a magnum rifle if disabling vehicles is going to be a concern.

Ideally you aren’t out in the boonies alone. Rather in a rural area with enough male population to facilitate armed patrols. You can’t post guard and till your garden at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Multiple semi auto’s firing on the same vehicle. So I’d argue that sticking with an AR and sticking together is a better option than reaching for or always carrying a magnum rifle. And because in SHTF numbers is consistently the best force multiplier multiple AR’s might be more important than a magnum rifle if disabling vehicles is going to be a concern.
View Quote

Agree.

Multiple .308/7.62 AR10-types working in a group could inflict more damage faster and cumulatively than a “heavy magnum rifle” which invariably would be a heavy-recoiling, slow-to-cycle bolt rig intended for hunting Big Game or African game.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Watching things unfold in Ukraine, I can definitely see the reason why keeping a magnum in the locker a good idea, especially thermal or NV capable.

It would be better to have your main AR, a backup, and a long range magnum than half a dozen even well equipped ARs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Since reading more through this thread after the above post and seeing the topic hang up on vehicles look at it this way.

As previously described a shot on a moving vehicle with a bolt or lever gun hoping to disable it is a difficult proposition.

e.
View Quote

Yes

Even if you take the shot ---  a vehicle can run for a little while with no coolant ---  and can probably make it a mile with a ruptured oil pan as well.

And i'm sure many of us have seen these police helicopter videos of squirrels in small cars attempting to evade the cops with all 4 tires blown from tack strips and body panels hanging loose from being rammed

Now imagine instead of a Toyota Tercel, that same mental case was driving an F250 or Suburban
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Does a .45-70 count?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does a .45-70 count?
View Quote

Hell yes!       Sentimental favorite for sure !

And in reality, if you can handload, you can load it to within a few whiskers of .458 Win Mag performance IF (and a big IF ) you have the right action to support a load like that ------    I know a Ruger No 1 will,  maybe a TC Encore       ---- probably wouldnt trust a load that hot in a lever action though
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Uggghhhhhhh

This thread just cost me a few hundred bucks     ---   I won a GB auction for a Vanguard in .300 Weatherby Mag   -- now i can go load all that brass i have laying around
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Just as an aside:
A 50bmg with M33 ball will not defeat 3/8” AR500 plate @100yds.

It will dent it. But not pass through.

This was surprising to me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And in reality, if you can handload, you can load it to within a few whiskers of .458 Win Mag performance IF (and a big IF ) you have the right action to support a load like that ------    I know a Ruger No 1 will,  maybe a TC Encore       ---- probably wouldnt trust a load that hot in a lever action though
View Quote

Yup, the .45-70 can be loaded from mild to wild.  I was really amazed to read about it being used for dangerous game in Africa!

Here's my survival .45-70 setup. I call it the "Heavy Scout".

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Does a m1 count ! 30/06
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yup, the .45-70 can be loaded from mild to wild.  I was really amazed to read about it being used for dangerous game in Africa!

https://i.imgur.com/Kpp0agJ.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Kpp0agJ.jpg

That is sweet!
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Nothing in my AO my 06, .308 or 6.5 won't handle.

I'd like to have something bigger, but that's a want vs need.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Does a m1 count ! 30/06
View Quote

Ammo fort full of these?  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Agree.

Multiple .308/7.62 AR10-types working in a group could inflict more damage faster and cumulatively than a “heavy magnum rifle” which invariably would be a heavy-recoiling, slow-to-cycle bolt rig intended for hunting Big Game or African game.
View Quote

So... 3 Garands shooting black tip?

Or better off with 2 45/70, shooting 405 lead at about 1600 fps?

I'll say the lever actions are certainly lighter...
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

LOL!  ... Love my 45-70 SBL for deer & hog hunting.  But in any real-world humanoid fire-fight, they quickly become junk. Name one nation whose military issues lever-guns.

Three M1s shooting '06 AP ammo sounds great if that's all you have. .... Maybe multiple .30-cal ARs shooting 7.62 AP is better?  Or at least the standard M80 stuff.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Historically, heavy sporting rifles start above 375H&H.

My heavies are 416 Rigby, 458 WM, and 470 NE.

Skyfall proved the need for a heavy double rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Does an old Mosin (7.62x54r) count?  It's certainly got a little more power than a .223.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Used to have 7 mag
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone make an AP .338 LM bullet?
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does anyone make an AP .338 LM bullet?
View Quote

Yup but I don't think I've ever seen them for sale. They make all kinds of cool projectiles for the Lapua.

https://www.swiss-p.com/en/Products/338-Lapua-Mag-SWISS-P-Armour-Piercing-Incendiary-171-g-263-gr
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
.45-70 master race checking in. It stays loaded and accessible for that day the neighbor starts screaming "OMG a bear is eating Trystan!"
View Quote

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking I should keep mine bedside for just that reason! Load it up with some Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game Magnum loads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What kind of engine? Just about any rifle pistol or shotgun round would do damage enough. Radiators and piles of plastic make for easy targets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those who don't see the need, have you thought about anti-material? Being able to disable an engine from a ways out seems valuable in certain Maxian scenarios.

What kind of engine? Just about any rifle pistol or shotgun round would do damage enough. Radiators and piles of plastic make for easy targets.

There was a video posted years ago of 249 lighting up a car crashing through some barricades and it didn't do shit to stop the car.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lighten up Francis
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can take any available lane in my neighborhood w/ .223.  Quit defining everyones' battle space as yer own.

I don't need a .338 or .375 to take down rampaging gender fluid hambeasts, I just don't wash my hands before serving them artisan Guatemalan tacos my non-existent Guatemalan grandmother taught me to make before I didn't swim the alligator infested Rio Grande.

Lighten up Francis

I'd only want to use 223 if I lived in an apartment complex too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A Constitutional crisis involving competing chains of commands issuing orders to the Armed Forces and state National Guards.  Will certain urban centers end up in combat?  Possibly.  Will YOUR urban center end up in combat?  99% chance - no.  So while you can feel free to have LARPing fantasies about Syria, most of Syria at any given time isn't involved in combat, and a single .50 BMG rifle isn't going to save your neighborhood if combat does come to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  a .50 BMG rifle is not a particularly useful defensive weapon other than in no holds barred urban warfare.

What do you think SHTF is?

A Constitutional crisis involving competing chains of commands issuing orders to the Armed Forces and state National Guards.  Will certain urban centers end up in combat?  Possibly.  Will YOUR urban center end up in combat?  99% chance - no.  So while you can feel free to have LARPing fantasies about Syria, most of Syria at any given time isn't involved in combat, and a single .50 BMG rifle isn't going to save your neighborhood if combat does come to it.

@MODS, can we please move this to GD?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top