Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nah...I just don't see the need in North America for anything beyond 308 or 12 ga slugs, but then again, it's your choice to go super heavy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm good.

9.3x62 Mauser with 286 grain solid bullets will disable an engine and take out assholes behind most barriers and not beat me to death in the process.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Heaviest I have is 30-06 or 7.5 Swiss. I have a bunch of M2 AP 30-06 if that counts for anything.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, can't say I see the need but to each their own. I do have some AP and API for the Garand if it really came to that but you'd be pretty surprised at how difficult a "instakill" is on a vehicle.
View Quote

last I looked into this I was advised that the easiest way to stop a non-armored vehicle is to stop the driver?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a 300 winmag, but I didn't buy it as a prep. I bought it as a hunting rifle.
View Quote

This but I went with 7mm Mag.  I also have 30-06 as an option.  Their main purpose for me is as various hunting rifles but they could fill other roles if needed.  I keep ammo on hand for all of the above.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Sure.

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I built a 300 PRC for 1000 yard shoots at my range.  I suppose it has other uses.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a 12 gauge shotgun for just about everything but have 5.56, 7.62, and .30-06 in the odd event I need a long range firearm.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm one of the few people on this website who isn't a millionaire.  With that in mind, I think it's better to spend the money on what I can afford to stock ammo for, and spend money on other things that might realistically be needed.  I'm at the point in my life where if a gun doesn't have a practical use (hunting, CCW, etc.), I'm not interested in it.  I suppose there are situations where what the OP is talking about that could happen where I wish I had something with some more oomph, but I'm betting on most likely scenarios.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
No. There's nothing in lower Michigan that would require as much power to make go away. If I need a bigger bullet, a shotgun slug will solve my problem.

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have .338 and 30-06
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

last I looked into this I was advised that the easiest way to stop a non-armored vehicle is to stop the driver?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, can't say I see the need but to each their own. I do have some AP and API for the Garand if it really came to that but you'd be pretty surprised at how difficult a "instakill" is on a vehicle.

100%, unless you've gotten your hands on big stuff. I hear you can pick up a Javlin for less than a new car in places.

But then comes the challenge of hitting said man in a moving vehicle (at presumably a good distance) given the topic of really HP rifles
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

100%, unless you've gotten your hands on big stuff. I hear you can pick up a Javlin for less than a new car in places.

But then comes the challenge of hitting said man in a moving vehicle (at presumably a good distance) given the topic of really HP rifles
View Quote

@Blind_Squirrel really seems to me like a couple of guys putting rounds of any rifle caliber towards the engine/windshield would eventually get the job done or at least get them to change their mind.

I see SHTF defense as more privative makes more sense. Drop a 40" pine, other cars to make a slalom,  dig a foot wide/deep ditch in the road, etc, would all be better at keeping vehicles out. The driving stuff I'd be worried about defeating those are likely impervious to small arms
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Does .358 Win count...?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does .358 Win count...?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone has 12ga, but I make sure to keep slugs and 00 Buck around.

7mm Rem Mag with 160gr Nosler Partitions is pretty stout. 150's will take any mule deer in my region.

Oh, I just got a Henry .45-70 as well. Need to get some hardcast for grizzly bears and engine blocks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm one of the few people on this website who isn't a millionaire.  With that in mind, I think it's better to spend the money on what I can afford to stock ammo for, and spend money on other things that might realistically be needed.  I'm at the point in my life where if a gun doesn't have a practical use (hunting, CCW, etc.), I'm not interested in it.  I suppose there are situations where what the OP is talking about that could happen where I wish I had something with some more oomph, but I'm betting on most likely scenarios.
View Quote

+1

My only play gun is an old surplus Chinese SKS (my go to semi due to NY laws.)

Everything else other than my collection of 22LR is or was something I use for more than just the range.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can confirm from personal experience, that is correct. Even have pictures to prove it.

That said, the only RELIABLE way to immediately stop a vehicle involves explosives…..preferably explosives propelled by rockets. Small caliber ammo can disable a vehicle pretty easily….but it won’t stop quickly. An engine can run surprisingly long with a hole in the oil pan, or a hole in the radiator, or even a hole in the block.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#19]
.30-06 is about it for me. There isn't anything I can't do with small calibers in the Appalachias. I don't rely on rifles to stop vehicles if a gang was heading my way and I knew about it. If I didn't know about it how would I even have time to switch from my primary to a magnum caliber?

I am all about justifying some far reaching items for SHTF, but this just isn't one of them for me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does .358 Win count...?
Yes.

How? Not a magnum and not going to do anything 308 can’t do on a vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How? Not a magnum and not going to do anything 308 can’t do on a vehicle.
View Quote
I didn't say a 308 doesn't count.  As a matter of fact, I specifically said that a 308 does count. So you're looking at a .308 caliber
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:26:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Other than a rifle in .22 mag I don't own any in rifle calibers ending in magnum.  I do have some magnum pistol calibers in long guns.  In my almost 70 years on this rock I haven't found anything that a non magnum won't kill.  My large animal hunting started with a .243 which killed anything I had a license for.  When I got a bit bigger I went to it's parent the 30-06.  Again, it's killed everything I wanted dead. If I need something dead that I don't think the 30-06 can handle then this will suffice.  The cartridge had killed anything that walks on this rock.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
here in north Florida, I just don't have any  need for a heavy magnum rifle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
here in north Florida, I just don't have any  need for a heavy magnum rifle.
View Quote

Imagine the impact on all of Florida Man's fellow meth buddies when their pal got removed by a round from an African game rifle.
700 NITRO vs ZOMBIE TORSO ??\u200d?? (World’s Biggest Elephant Gun)
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I hunt and enjoy shooting them. So yeah.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#28]
30-06 scoped bolt gun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

300 WM is what I settled on for now.

50 some day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A good rifle at least 30-06 or higher is a good idea. 300 Win Mag would be a good start.

300 WM is what I settled on for now.

50 some day.
Got my deposit down on an RN50 earlier this year, but lead time is at 24 months+
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've got 50's so I guess yes. Honestly I think an AR is going to handle just about anything I'll ever need to deal with.
View Quote
Ha! I (before the boating accident) Had an AR in  50 Beowulf, that is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
223 and 308 can do everything
View Quote

this

My USMC sniper clone sits in my safe and I have a retirement plan on M118LR (just saw what it was selling for)

I use my 5.56 SPR all the time or my 10/22 with thermal
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#32]
assuming you're prepping for something consistent with the spirit of the 2nd Amendment, a magnum long range rifle would probably come in pretty handy.

as a defensive weapon, probably not so much.   attempting to stop a vehicle with a rifle is going to be pretty challenging, unless you've engineered some sort of approach to give you a shot.  Most folks put high magnification scopes on long range rifles, and those would be quite a disadvantage in the case of a target traversing right to left at say, 30 mph.   the reality of a small FOV at high mag (and even low mag), combined with FFP windage marks being extremely fine at the lowest mag, and most scopes simply not having that much horizontal hashes in the first place, mean the typical long range scopes are ill suited to this task.   e.g. my NF 7-35x ATACR only has a 17' or so FOV at 100 yards, so I can't even see both my truck bumpers at the same time.  and I'd need about 14 mil lead at 30mph and don't have nearly that and honestly, i couldn't see the marks at 7x well anyways.   and are you going to track the target or ambush it?  if you're going to ambush, you'd better have good reflexes, because at 30mph the front bumper will move through your FOV in less than half a second.   and if you're going to track it, you'd prob want to skip prone and use a nice tripod with head that lets you pan easily.

this is probably one reason that scenes like the one in blackhawk down where the guy stops adid shooting from a helicopter start with the helicopter matching speed with the vehicle. hmm...

actually, it's probably an easier shot to take from 500 yards than from 100.  but scenarios that justify shooting vehicles that far away seem pretty far fetched.  
of course, if the vehicle is approaching straight at you, it's a much easier shot, but you better set your range card up ahead of time and figure out your hold over fast. 30mph is 15 yards per second.  if it takes you 5 seconds to go from your range card to your dope card and back on scope, it's already moved 75 yards.   Prob around 15" of drop.  How big is the vital zone on a vehicle? I have no idea, but there's a reason why they make belt feds.

but in either case, something like a 4x ACOG would probably be a better choice
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#33]
.308 is plenty enough for the animals that I will be shooting if needed.

I am playing on the other end of the energy spectrum with a PCP .22 air rifle and I'm impressed with its 100 foot accuracy.

With less than 20 ft.pds of energy I think they'd take squirrels and crows but I think the adult bunnies might be too much but I can stalk them within 40 feet or so. I took rats and opossums in California with it.

There's currently no big game in my neighborhood outside the bears that raid the trashcans/bird feeders and feed off the dead dear and other wildlife. Moose are found north of me about an hour. I'm 400 miles from Detroit, more than a gas tank in most vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I guess think truck V8 or so.

I've shot running cars with pistols and ARs, they run for a LONG time (for an event where you want that engine DRT) w/o a working radiator and sensors fucked up, unless you get lucky and cut a necessary wire or fuel line.

So I'm thinking physically damaging the block enough to prevent operation nearly immediately.
View Quote

There are lots of shot-to-shit vehicles out in the deserts of SoCal/NV/AZ that survive the weather but not the onslaught of firepower.

There's not a lot that's cover to a .308 on a modern car, more so on the older ones from the 40s-60s say.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For those who don't see the need, have you thought about anti-material? Being able to disable an engine from a ways out seems valuable in certain Maxian scenarios.
View Quote

Only reason I have blacktip for my Garand.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#36]
My planning includes avoiding situations where I would need heavy medicine. So no, no heavy magnums in the line up and no plans to add any although I do think a 45-70 would be fun "just because".
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Here in the flat part of Gods country
I could see use for a 7mm mag or 300 wm
Maybe if you stretch it a bit, maybe a 338 lapua

But the 7 mm mag or 300 would be as big as
I would ever need. I’m think a 6.5 creedmore
Would be a better idea
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Heaviest currently is 35 rem 220s at 2000 aren’t bad. Shouldn’t have parted with my 375 H&H and I’m looking hard at 416/458s not for preps but because I like to pretend I’m on safari.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here in the flat part of Gods country
I could see use for a 7mm mag or 300 wm
Maybe if you stretch it a bit, maybe a 338 lapua

But the 7 mm mag or 300 would be as big as
I would ever need. I’m think a 6.5 creedmore
Would be a better idea
View Quote

+1.  7mm mag or 300 is more than most of us would ever need in a SHTF situation.  Better application as actually using it for big game hunting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same.  

I have a .30-06, but only b/c my Dad passed it down.  Where I currently live, in town, it will likely not be worth much, but at the house we're trying to buy out in the country, it might be useful.  Oh and we did have a bear in the neighborhood a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure the '06 would have done much good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I think the category of magnum needs to be split into 3 sub-categories based on usage.

1) Big bore hunting magnum (.375H&H)- throw enough lead at a large and angry animal trying to put you on the menu or under the dirt. Do you have large dangerous game in your area?

2) Big semi-autos (.50BMG in a semi)- put enough magnum rounds into a flying or grounded vehicle to make it stop being a problem. Do you foresee having to fight against a mechanized enemy?

3) Long Range Precision (.375CT)- throw a relatively heavy, high BC pill over an obscenely long distance against a specific HVT, or antagonize an enemy unit across a vast territory. Do you either live in a wide open plain or see a need to hit HVTs from extreme distances?

Personally, I don’t own anything bigger than a .308win. But if we are talking actual civil war combat, I can see both 2 and 3 being useful if you have some people backing you up. But you better have $10-15k to get going.

The real question is: what will be more useful? $15 grand in preps from bug out trailers to NODs or a single .375CT with optic, can, and a supply of ammunition? Just depends on the goal.

My pass/fail is: am I most likely going to be trying to get my family to safety or fighting against organized forces for God and Country? In SHTF (cringy term), I’m getting family to safety and ensuring they stay that way before I worry about anyone else. I’ll take the other preps or better yet; assets to use to hedge against economic issues.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#42]
If a semi auto 30/06 or .308 with either AP or SP/HP's and a .454 revolver with 350 grain + solid lead flat's don't work, well, prayers are next.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#43]
3 30.06's.
Garand, rem 76 pump and a noreen, mag fed semi with thermal.

M70 in 300wsm with Swarovski glass.

.270 laying around too.

My homestead has at least 1000 yards line of site in all directiins. I'd add a .338 or .50 if I could feed the damn things.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#44]
 I have a nice 300 win mag bolt gun, but its not really practical for most prepping scenarios.  There are probably a few narrow scenarios where it would be preferable to something more reasonable like an AR-10 pattern rifle.  I would feel more comfortable shooting at some kind of threat at an extended distance (maybe 500 meters or so) with that rifle.  300wm does shoot flatter and is more forgiving at long ranges than a 308.  Perhaps some kind of threat with armor or with heavy cover (commercial building, multiple walls, multiple panes of glass, heavy vehicle).  Most armor would have trouble with a 300 win mag or if the round was stopped, the sheer energy of the round would cause injuries to the bad guy.  Maybe if you're part of a group it would be a good rifle for a member in an overwatch or observation post type situation.  Most big boy rifles are fitted with high magnification optics (I do the same) and that can come in handy.  

I wouldn't go this route if you're looking for money well spent for weapons.  I'd consider stacking some money and buying night vision and some kind of suppressed rifle.  That will give you a real advantage.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have a nice 300 win mag bolt gun, but its not really practical for most prepping scenarios.  There are probably a few narrow scenarios where it would be preferable to something more reasonable like an AR-10 pattern rifle.  I would feel more comfortable shooting at some kind of threat at an extended distance (maybe 500 meters or so) with that rifle.  300wm does shoot flatter and is more forgiving at long ranges than a 308.  Perhaps some kind of threat with armor or with heavy cover (commercial building, multiple walls, multiple panes of glass, heavy vehicle).  Most armor would have trouble with a 300 win mag or if the round was stopped, the sheer energy of the round would cause injuries to the bad guy.  Maybe if you're part of a group it would be a good rifle for a member in an overwatch or observation post type situation.  Most big boy rifles are fitted with high magnification optics (I do the same) and that can come in handy.  

I wouldn't go this route if you're looking for money well spent for weapons.  I'd consider stacking some money and buying night vision and some kind of suppressed rifle.  That will give you a real advantage.
View Quote

Good points.  My 7mm mag primarily serves me as a large game hunting rifle (elk) but could serve what you described above.  But in reality, the uses in my AO are slim to none, short of some long standoff involving barriers.  In reality for me and the real situations I can envision it is mostly fantasy.  Still never hurts to have one especially if it serves other purposes for the user year to year.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#46]
lol.. if .50 API cant do it, i aint paying for a 20mm to get it done.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Good points.  My 7mm mag primarily serves me as a large game hunting rifle (elk) but could serve what you described above.  But in reality, the uses in my AO are slim to none, short of some long standoff involving barriers.  In reality for me and the real situations I can envision it is mostly fantasy.  Still never hurts to have one especially if it serves other purposes for the user year to year.
View Quote

No shortage of power or range there.  Maybe some dudes who live in wide open areas could use it as a standoff rifle.  Outrange your enemies and such.  Still cool as a hunting or target shooting rifle though.  Just a bummer ammo gets pricey.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:17:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That said, the only RELIABLE way to immediately stop a vehicle involves explosives…..preferably explosives propelled by rockets.
View Quote

You beat me to it. An RPG would do a much better job than a magnum rifle.
Also, not many shooters have much experience at shooting moving targets. For most scenarios an AR15 will do just fine, in my opinion. Get a magnum rifle if you think you need one but I would rather spend money on quality night vision and an IR laser/illuminator sight (if I didn't already have it). Maybe a thermal monocular or a scope as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For those who don't see the need, have you thought about anti-material? Being able to disable an engine from a ways out seems valuable in certain Maxian scenarios.
View Quote

Having shot a few cars at various shooting events. Here is my impressions. A 12 gauge slug punches large holes in car doors and radiators. shooting large iron engine parts with a .308 or smaller round is a matter of luck if you do any real damages beyond cracks and chips in the metal.  If you think you need to shoot a car or truck for whatever reason. The radiator is fragile as is the transmission.  The stuff on top of the engine, electronics, injection, and ignition components, etc are much more fragile than the block itself.  Shooting the gas tank usually just spills gas and makes a mess.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#50]
The mentality of some here is pretty far out there in left field. Unless you are planning to carry a heavy magnum in lieu of your main rifle in a shtf scenario which I’m assuming is societal collapse, buying it specifically for engine blocks is about as useless as buying a tank to use as a daily driver today. It’ll be left behind when going about your daily activities.

And when going about your daily activities like going into town to barter for goods or to get news, will you tell a vehicle to slow down while you run on home to get it? Or will you have it on you to use as a daily driver for anything that pops off compromising your ability to move and fire multiple rounds like you could from a platform that is more suited for general combat?

Armies from around the world equipn their soldiers with general issue rifles of smaller calibers for a reason.

And if it’s a checkpoint that you are manning coming into town behind barriers, you are still better served with a regular rifle specifically designed for general combat since you aren’t going to be the only one there.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top