Quoted:
Well this post didn't age very well.
View Quote

It ripened just as it seemed it would.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's because fear mongers and the media made this worse! Also as I said we don't have a president that is a Democrat!

Notice if you look at facts that the Coronavirus has gone up a lot more since it's publicity! Why? People freaking out hoarding TP and other stuff! If social distancing and people only going out for essentials worked why are there so many cases? Everyone should be at home!

I work at a grocery store and see many of the same people each day hoarding food and water and TP! They don't need it they are just going out and buying what they can!

I also noticed that healthy ideas are always left behind! Have to get the sodium-rich meals! Yet if it's healthy we stay away! Our produce is awesome yet fewer people are buying fresh veggies! Yet they buy fresh meat and I'm guessing 95% of the people don't know how to preserve it!

So how many of you got time off work or got a check during the flu epidemic in 2017-2018 that killed 60,000 people? My guess is none!

"A person is smart but people are dumb, stupid and panicky!"

The more we restrict access to essential things for life the more we risk people getting this! Stores that limit hours! So now you have more people in a store with less time span!

Yet our government and companies that run grocery stores are only worried about the $$$! We have a system that will allow people to get what they need and not be in the store at all! Yet corporate will not pull the trigger and say it! Why because of $$$$!

Also thanks for showing your one of the FEAR MONGERS out there! I act like this is every day because I know that more people die of the flu each year then the Coronavirus! Again fact 2017-2018 60k people died in the US alone because of the common flu! Again you would have never head much about this flu if a Clinton or a Democrat was in office!

Yes I ask about weapons this is AR-15.com, right? To ask about weapons not fear mongers.com like you want it to be! Where you do not hear back in 2010 with the swine flu or bird flu before that? Fear mongers have made this worse with people hording and not staying at home!!

Not saying the flu is not real just saying it would not be as big if fear mongers did not take over!

View Quote

Quoting for posterity...

Tayous, what are your job responsibilities so we can understand what you are seeing?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoting for posterity...

Tayous, what are your job responsibilities so we can understand what you are seeing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's because fear mongers and the media made this worse! Also as I said we don't have a president that is a Democrat!

Notice if you look at facts that the Coronavirus has gone up a lot more since it's publicity! Why? People freaking out hoarding TP and other stuff! If social distancing and people only going out for essentials worked why are there so many cases? Everyone should be at home!

I work at a grocery store and see many of the same people each day hoarding food and water and TP! They don't need it they are just going out and buying what they can!

I also noticed that healthy ideas are always left behind! Have to get the sodium-rich meals! Yet if it's healthy we stay away! Our produce is awesome yet fewer people are buying fresh veggies! Yet they buy fresh meat and I'm guessing 95% of the people don't know how to preserve it!

So how many of you got time off work or got a check during the flu epidemic in 2017-2018 that killed 60,000 people? My guess is none!

The more we restrict access to essential things for life the more we risk people getting this! Stores that limit hours! So now you have more people in a store with less time span!

Yet our government and companies that run grocery stores are only worried about the $$$! We have a system that will allow people to get what they need and not be in the store at all! Yet corporate will not pull the trigger and say it! Why because of $$$$!

Also thanks for showing your one of the FEAR MONGERS out there! I act like this is every day because I know that more people die of the flu each year then the Coronavirus! Again fact 2017-2018 60k people died in the US alone because of the common flu! Again you would have never head much about this flu if a Clinton or a Democrat was in office!

Yes I ask about weapons this is AR-15.com, right? To ask about weapons not fear mongers.com like you want it to be! Where you do not hear back in 2010 with the swine flu or bird flu before that? Fear mongers have made this worse with people hording and not staying at home!!

Not saying the flu is not real just saying it would not be as big if fear mongers did not take over!

Quoting for posterity...

Paper or plastic sir?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Paper or plastic sir?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoting for posterity...

Paper or plastic sir?

I thought he was some type of LEO because I remember him looking for suggestions on how to make his own duty belt and associated gear so he didn't have to buy it himself?  Maybe he is retired LEO now but I would hope for more restraint and less out lashing towards our community here from someone who is entrusted with protecting and serving.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Anyone-here-build-there-own-gear-web-belts/18-690767/
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
We had people over today.

Muh quarantine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have said this before if we hit 10k people dead I will call this something to worry about! You have about 9,900 people to go with the warm weather coming!
View Quote

So, has your perspective changed with time?

Has the concept of exponential growth finally sunk in?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have said this before if we hit 10k people dead I will call this something to worry about! You have about 9,900 people to go with the warm weather coming!

The first quote was posted on 3/18 with a death count of 150.  

The US passed 10,000 dead 19 days later, on 4/6.

In the following 2 weeks, bringing us current to today 4/20, we added 30,000 more. For a total of just over 40,000 in right around 33 days.

Given what has happened in that time span, I feel than NONE of my reaction to this was overdone, or unwarranted.  I oddly feel like I did the right things at the right time.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Given what has happened in that time span, I feel than NONE of my reaction to this was overdone, or unwarranted.  I oddly feel like I did the right things at the right time.

View Quote

Yeah, someone said that if we overreact and take unnecessary measures right now, history will soon forget about it. But if we underreact and millions die, history will never forgive that lack of leadership.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The reality of it is that no one knows the future. Still today, no one knows the full real truth of the situation.

There is also two camps in this sort of thing. The first one is the deniers, some will hold true to that position even with bodies out in the street.

The other camp is those that take prudent steps ahead of time. Now you may have ramped up your preps because of the pandemic, you may have just checked a few things, topped off one or two items, dusted off some other preps, cleaned a few guns, locked the gate and that was it. It all depends on how you stood before things started happening.

The biggest thing is to get ACTION started. That doesn't mean "research" and writing "lists" and "lists of lists"- that Bullshit has made the new preppers lose too much ground over the last 10 years- it breeds INACTION. After a certain amount of time ACTION has to be taken. Whether it's realizing 12 rolls of Charmin isn't enough and going and stocking up, other whether it's realizing "hey NYC may not be the place to ride this out" and getting the heck out in early March.

View Quote
Per arfcom.
Your a doomer or a flubro.
No middle road of sensible preparation,  its feeding frenzy or denial.
Time will tell. As most things.
I giggle at the " its  a flu...30k A YEAR dead...nothing to worry about "
Yet 4 months in we are that far into it with covid 19....4 months from now, 8 months from now..will it still be " like the flu. .."
We will see..
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We had people over today.

Muh quarantine.
View Quote

Thanks for letting us know.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Per arfcom.
Yet 4 months in we are that far into it with covid 19....4 months from now, 8 months from now..will it still be " like the flu. .."
We will see..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reality of it is that no one knows the future. Still today, no one knows the full real truth of the situation.

There is also two camps in this sort of thing. The first one is the deniers, some will hold true to that position even with bodies out in the street.

The other camp is those that take prudent steps ahead of time. Now you may have ramped up your preps because of the pandemic, you may have just checked a few things, topped off one or two items, dusted off some other preps, cleaned a few guns, locked the gate and that was it. It all depends on how you stood before things started happening.

The biggest thing is to get ACTION started. That doesn't mean "research" and writing "lists" and "lists of lists"- that Bullshit has made the new preppers lose too much ground over the last 10 years- it breeds INACTION. After a certain amount of time ACTION has to be taken. Whether it's realizing 12 rolls of Charmin isn't enough and going and stocking up, other whether it's realizing "hey NYC may not be the place to ride this out" and getting the heck out in early March.

Per arfcom.
We will see..

But I like the middle of the road, stay informed don't jump to any conclusions and pilot the ship steady as she goes!!!  
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But I like the middle of the road, stay informed don't jump to any conclusions and pilot the ship steady as she goes!!!  
View Quote
Im more of a lt.dan strapped to the mast type at times....
Lol.

But like most things...gotta go with the flow.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im more of a lt.dan strapped to the mast type at times....
Lol.

But like most things...gotta go with the flow.

View Quote

COME ON!!!  YOU CALL THIS A STORM? BLOW, YOU SON OF A BITCH! BLOW!
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

STOP IT - this is ARFcom!  Reasonable opinions are NOT allowed.
View Quote
Plz dont send me the re-education facility....
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm still in the third camp; the skeptic camp.  I'm not denying the lethality of this pandemic, but there are several reports that deaths attributed to COVID-19 are not consistent and discount more lethal underlying conditions that would have caused death with or without the virus; yet COVID-19 is attributed as the cause of death only from symptoms, not verified testing (that came directly from CDC).  Additionally, "quarantine" as a countermeasure is proving to be less effective as studies come out of California where the death rate is much lower than NY, yet they implemented quarantine measure two days after NY...and now they are finding a larger percentage of the population with the antibodies which points to a very early and undetected outbreak much earlier than realized.  Some mortality rates are pointing to 0.1%; very similar to the flu.  I think the danger of this virus is how long it can persist on surfaces and in vapor.  

I know many are making projections, predictions, and extrapolations, but all the "expert" models have been grossly wrong and I still think the data is inaccurate and studies are coming out to highlight that, or at least with contradictory data.

So, despite my ongoing skepticism, I continue to see a ton of lessons-learned as we will have future pandemics, some less frightening and some far more lethal.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I have not been to the grocery in about a week or so. Just went today. HOLY SHIT.  Everyone had masks on. Some with goggles. Last time maybe 3 or 4 had masks. Now everyone but 3 or 4 had them. People are freaking the fuck out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have not been to the grocery in about a week or so. Just went today. HOLY SHIT.  Everyone had masks on. Some with goggles. Last time maybe 3 or 4 had masks. Now everyone but 3 or 4 had them. People are freaking the fuck out.
View Quote

Did you ever consider some folks don't want to become infected with this virus right now???

That some are at greater risk than others?

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did you ever consider some folks don't want to become infected with this virus right now???

That some are at greater risk than others?

View Quote

Exactly my logic, and also many of the folks around me agree.  Most feel they're just doing their part, and being safe.

I live in a relatively low populated city 200 miles north of Detroit, not a lot of Covid here at all. I wear a mask in the grocery store, both because I'm an asthmatic smoker, also because I don't want to be an unaware carrier if I can avoid it.  I consider it to be smart, curteous, and safe.

This is the reason I built a supply of masks over the last decade
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are there any intelligent people that AREN'T wearing masks in public?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are there any intelligent people that AREN'T wearing masks in public?
View Quote

Wearing a mask is no sign of intelligence, that's simply what you're being told.  While masks have their place, the biggest threat has been through the eyes (by suspended vapor), and hands to the face, mouth, nose, and eyes.  The mask is best for those that may already have symptoms and to keep THEM from spreading it; the common N95 or improvised cloth masks are not very effective protecting one from getting this virus.  

I trust my immune system and my personal health.  I almost wish to just get it and develop the antibodies and kind of wish I had it these past couple weeks while I've been home...although I won't be out licking door knobs and toilet seats to prove anything

If anything, I think the increased focus on personal hygiene and simply washing your damn hands after using a bathroom is a big bonus.  I don't like people in my personal space, so that's another bonus of this "social distancing".  Seeing people opening cough and sneeze without covering up has always pissed me off, maybe this will finally make people a little more conscious of being a vector for germs and viruses.

Like I said, there are a lot of positives, but many of these mitigating strategies are not very effective; however, social engineering has proved to be extremely effective on a compliant population...again, I'm just more of an open-minded skeptic than blindly believing one-sided data, all the "models" proven wrong, bureaucratic "experts", and MSM, and politicians.  I will concede, this is now a battle of personal safety and personal liberties...I'll just remain skeptical until more data from other sources provides a clearer picture to this whole pandemic fiasco.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#26]
OP hasn't aged well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP hasn't aged well.
View Quote

When it came time.....he chose poorly, and yelled it like gospel.

Rather than reacting in a sensible way, he chose to believe a line of shit and tell people they were wrong, rather than what bit of fact there was.  In other situations that could have been bad.

Regardless of whatever opinion you have on the virus itself, right from the onset we all should have seen the shitstorm that was heading our way.  

I never did fear the covid like some, not that I blew it off.  But you could easily see supply shortages coming, unemployment, potential lockdowns, things of that nature, and those still have me more concerned than the virus.

I got a similar reaction to a thread I started to discuss the lockdowns as they were happening.....basically treated like a paranoid fool.

Then most of the country got locked down.

When shit is just starting isn't the time to ignore possibilities, no matter how impossible you think they are.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Regardless of whatever opinion you have on the virus itself, right from the onset we all should have seen the shitstorm that was heading our way.  

I never did fear the covid like some, not that I blew it off.  But you could easily see supply shortages coming, unemployment, potential lockdowns, things of that nature, and those still have me more concerned than the virus.

I got a similar reaction to a thread I started to discuss the lockdowns as they were happening.....basically treated like a paranoid fool.

Then most of the country got locked down.

When shit is just starting isn't the time to ignore possibilities, no matter how impossible you think they are.
View Quote

Agreed.  I think there will be never ending debates and arguments over the threat and danger of this virus, but regardless of opinions or beliefs, the fallout impacted everyone.  It's a good reminder to keep your intel-ears open on a global scale as much as domestic.  Don't wait for politicians to declare emergencies...make your own decision matrix and take action before the masses.  Again, lots of lessons to be learned (and not forgotten).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The mask is best for those that may already have symptoms and to keep THEM from spreading it

View Quote

Exactly.  And only an idiot (or a sociopath) is out without a mask right now.

As for only doing it because you're told, that's lunacy.  We're doing it because it's the best option available to everyone right now.  

You and I have never seen a virus.  We're trusting other people to relay accurate information via textbooks, websites, news organizations, press briefings and scientific reports.  You and I have never seen a lot of things that we trust to be true.  There's a difference between trusting tons of evidence and scientific information that says the Earth is a sphere and just accepting by blind faith that it is.  Is it possible that things we "know" to be true will be disproven?  Yes.  Every day in the scientific community, there are people that are doing nothing but trying to disprove something.  That's what makes science superior to blind faith (and I'm not talking about religious/spiritual topics, although, well, that's another discussion).
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Exactly.  And only an idiot (or a sociopath) is out without a mask right now.

As for only doing it because you're told, that's lunacy.  We're doing it because it's the best option available to everyone right now.  

That's what makes science superior to blind faith.
View Quote

Only if you have blind faith that science is never politicized, biased, or research isn't tainted through monetary or other ulterior motives...science is just as fallible as blind faith.

I'm not saying that wearing a mask isn't a prudent measure, but there are a lot of people who think it's a panacea to protection, or they think it's some type of fashion statement.  Most are clueless as to the purpose and aspects of various rated masks...yet they forget about exposure to their eyes or they wear the same mask and gloves every day or they wear them under their nose.  Sorry, but there are simply a lot of idiots with masks out there right now that don't know what they're for, how to use them, never clean them and they think they're protected or protecting others.  It's a fallacy from that perspective.

Where was all the concern last year when we had almost 400,000 patients hospitalized from the flu?  What about the 800,000 from the previous year?  Again, all this social distancing and preventative measures were never pushed or practiced yet we have simply accepted a certain mortality rate for the flu; we'll end up doing the same with COVID-19.  We have less than 100,000 hospitalized and over 90% of those have at least one serious underlying condition.  The only idiots are those who are knowingly susceptible yet still out and about when there are far easier mitigating strategies. There are already reports that Chinese agents have hyped this virus to induce panic...again...distortion, inaccurate models, incomplete data, etc.  I'm a skeptic.  I'll wear a mask where directed, but it's less effective than just washing your hands.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Rock

Somewhere above you mention you want to get this and 'get it over with'.

A health, active friend of mine got it -> "that was absolutely the sickest I have been in my life".

I'll pass and wait for the vaccine.....

Social distancing -

In my teens and early 20's I spent a ton of time bumming the Sierra with a backpack - mostly solo. I noticed the only time I got sick was after interacting people that were sick. For YEARS I have been doing things that people would give funny looks about, like opening public doors by pushing on the top of door frame (I'm tall). For 40 yrs, my wife and I have not worn shoes in our house. We have "town clothes" that are changed immediately after getting home. We live on a hobby ranch with livestock and are FAR FAR from being neat or clean freaks. Outside dirt does not bother us.....

I can not remember being sick with a cold or flu.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Fear locks up the brain.  While Covid is dangerous, take safety precautions (gloves, mask, goggles), plenty of Vit C and continue with life.  Living in fear is not living at all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll wear a mask where directed, but it's less effective than just washing your hands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'll wear a mask where directed, but it's less effective than just washing your hands.

Just so you know, you can, and should, do both.

Quoted:
For YEARS I have been doing things that people would give funny looks about, like opening public doors by pushing on the top of door frame (I'm tall). For 40 yrs, my wife and I have not worn shoes in our house. We have "town clothes" that are changed immediately after getting home. We live on a hobby ranch with livestock and are FAR FAR from being neat or clean freaks. Outside dirt does not bother us.....

I do the same thing with doors.  On many doors you can see a layer of grime built up where people normally push on doors (bathroom doors, particularly).

I hope to one day start to do the other things you mention.  Very sensible.

Quoted:
Fear locks up the brain.  While Covid is dangerous, take safety precautions (gloves, mask, goggles), plenty of Vit C and continue with life.  Living in fear is not living at all.

Quoted for truth.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Rock

Somewhere above you mention you want to get this and 'get it over with'.

A health, active friend of mine got it -> "that was absolutely the sickest I have been in my life".

I'll pass and wait for the vaccine.....

Social distancing -

In my teens and early 20's I spent a ton of time bumming the Sierra with a backpack - mostly solo. I noticed the only time I got sick was after interacting people that were sick. For YEARS I have been doing things that people would give funny looks about, like opening public doors by pushing on the top of door frame (I'm tall). For 40 yrs, my wife and I have not worn shoes in our house. We have "town clothes" that are changed immediately after getting home. We live on a hobby ranch with livestock and are FAR FAR from being neat or clean freaks. Outside dirt does not bother us.....

I can not remember being sick with a cold or flu.

YMMV
View Quote

No, I understand.  While the mortality rate continues to fluctuate but is relatively high, what we are not hearing is that 98% of the people who contract COVID-19 recover 100%.  The top 10 world virologist from Sweden has an absolutely 180% point of view: no need for social distancing, protect the most vulnerable in the population, but don't close their country down...he's a believer in "herd-immunity".  Social distancing and all the other mitigating strategies are not to affect the mortality rate, it was meant to slow the spread and decrease the burden on our hospitals...there have been dozens of emergency hospitals set up and not even used; they're not "over-whelmed" except in a couple locations.  His belief is that you won't stop the spread and delaying it with impact on an economy are counterproductive for the long term.  Furthermore this same virologist was beside himself that the unverified study and model used for all the policy measures we've taken has not been peer reviewed...that's not saying COVID-19 isn't a dangerous viral pandemic, but policies were made from a single (and now proven inaccurate) model and study that was never published with a peer review.  That is more dangerous than the virus itself and shows that "science" and inaccurate data can be manipulated for government policies.

I'm kind of the opposite.  30-second rule for food on the ground, spent time in third-world countries in close proximity to locals; while I maintain good hygiene I haven't been overly anal about it.  My wife teaches at a petri-dish / middle school and she is likely always exposed. Neither of us have been sick in years unless it's a minor fever and flu-like symptoms for about 12-24 hours.  

My only beef isn't about taking this viral epidemic serious on a personal level, but pushing countermeasures that haven't proven very effective, and I'll include social distancing (explain the difference between CA and NY and a world-leading virologists opinion), and shutting businesses down which I think was absolutely unnecessary.  Add in we have the general population not using PPE properly but believing they are protected.  I do think reinforcing basic (again, common-sense) countermeasures such as not openly coughing, sneezing, getting into people's personal space, washing hands with soap often when working in an populated environment or bathroom, etc. are all positives.  Again, destroying our economy is nonsensical and I think time will show that to be the case...whereas those most at risk already have significant, underlying health problems, the underlying condition to the mortality of our economy has been the advice of "experts" who continue to be wrong and bureaucratical policies based on inaccurate models...not data, models. That will ruffle feathers...I'll just remain skeptical.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, some people were predicting that the death rate would keep on doubling every 4 days, that would put us at around 75,000 dead a day by now.

How much of it is because of the shutdowns and how much, if any, is because it’s not as bad as initially predicted?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well, some people were predicting that the death rate would keep on doubling every 4 days, that would put us at around 75,000 dead a day by now.

How much of it is because of the shutdowns and how much, if any, is because it’s not as bad as initially predicted?
View Quote

Who predicted that?  Link?

I think that 1.35 growth has been the line used as the tipping point for uncontrolled spread.  I've never heard anybody predicting a death rate like that.  And it's important to think of rates as they actually are.  Days that stay below a particular rate will affect future growth.  Think of it like interest on a loan.  If you pay it off early, it's not nearly as costly as if you pay the bare minimum payment.  Ignore it and put off paying it back and it could cost you many, many times what you borrowed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think that 1.35 growth has been the line used as the tipping point for uncontrolled spread.  I've never heard anybody predicting a death rate like that.  And it's important to think of rates as they actually are.  Days that stay below a particular rate will affect future growth.  Think of it like interest on a loan.  If you pay it off early, it's not nearly as costly as if you pay the bare minimum payment.  Ignore it and put off paying it back and it could cost you many, many times what you borrowed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I started reacting to this whole thing, there really wasn't a death rate prediction.  

I wasn't gonna wait around to find out either.  That could be a good way to get dead.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It wasn't doubling every four days, some models predicted doubling every six days (reported on 10 March)

We can expect a doubling of cases every six days, according to several epidemiological studies. Confirmed cases may appear to rise faster (or slower) in the short term as diagnostic capabilities are ramped up (or not), but this is how fast we can expect actual new cases to rise in the absence of substantial mitigation measures.
That means we are looking at about 1 million U.S. cases by the end of April; 2 million by May 7; 4 million by May 13; and so on.

Other initial predictions were extremely high:

"Fear of Covid-19 is based on its high estimated case fatality rate — 2% to 4% of people with confirmed Covid-19 have died, according to the World Health Organization and others," wrote Bendavid and Bhattacharya. "So if 100 million Americans ultimately get the disease, 2 million to 4 million could die. We believe that estimate is deeply flawed. The true fatality rate is the portion of those infected who die, not the deaths from identified positive cases."

Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massively downgraded projection of the potential deathtoll on Wednesday…but, Ferguson’s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States

Now, for the doomsayer "experts", they can't lose.  They over-estimate death tolls, and then support policies to mitigate and if the death tolls are vastly lower, they'll say their policy measures were a success...again my skepticism kicks in as Ferguson's model was the foundation for government policies and there was no peer review.  None of the initial models were remotely accurate.  Even the models where "mitigating strategies" were added into the calculation still are very far off.

My skepticism is more on government policy decisions and not specifically about the virus.  I just don't think the countermeasures are creating a 2-4 million difference in deaths and I don't think the exaggerated hype should have led to an national economic shutdown.  None of that adds up.  Thousands of people die every day from pneumonia, heart failure conditions, organ failure, etc...attributing those natural mortality rates just to COVID-19 because they exhibited symptoms (again, many were not tested but attributed to death by COVID-19, admitted to by Brix), or even conducting autopsies to identify the actual cause of death for those even testing positive for COVID-19.  Secondly, we have not been testing those who may be asymptomatic and the low denominator will always make the death rate seem much higher.  Lastly, little is said about those who have contracted the virus and fully recovered (more than 98%), and while it's reported that the predominant factor of those susceptible are older and with one or more underlying health conditions is ignored when people throw out death rates and predictions.  When all this is said and done, it may very well be viewed as slightly worse than a bad flu season (such as the 2018 season where more than 800,000 died and that's with a flu vaccine), which typically lasts about five months and we are now going into month three of this viral outbreak.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#39]

The experience in Sweden seems to be showing that shutting things down doesn't make that much difference compared to less extreme
voluntary measures.

The risk is heavily weighted to those over 60, so it seems reasonable to try and isolate that population while letting younger
healthy people go about their business.

On the other hand, 0.15% of the entire population of New York State is already dead from this (largely weighted towards the very old of course),
so unless everyone in the state is infected already, the  average infection fatality rate is at least a couple of times higher than that. You can argue about the counting of deaths, but it's just as likely they are being undercounted as over counted, when you read about the blood clotting issues causing stroke and heart attacks.

My guess is its an average of 0.5%, roughly 5-10x worse than the seasonal flu. And unlike the 1918 flu, which killed young healthy adults the most, covid-19 seems to be much worse for the elderly, so that is where we should be expending effort to shield them, i.e, testing
for caregivers, good PPE, social distancing, delivering their food, etc.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By hmm2014:

The experience in Sweden seems to be showing that shutting things down doesn't make that much difference compared to less extreme
voluntary measures. 

View Quote

My understanding is that they've got many more confirmed cases and deaths than their neighboring countries, but if immunity turns out to be a thing with this virus (it isn't always), then their strategy will pay off.

Unfortunately, with the stupidity of American mobs, and the unscientific methods our nation's leaders are pushing, I don't think their method of dealing with the coronavirus will work in our country.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes you are stirring
the pot!! How many did you read that the CDC f'ched up and contaminated several thousand of test?!

This comes from morticians and coroners who are told to say colvin 19 is the death! Yet it's not! It's all about Money!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don’t think the government is overreacting.  The actions you’re seeing being taken by the government aren’t just about the lethality of the virus, they’re also because of how contagious it is.  As we can all see, this thing spreads like wildfire.  The steeper the infection curve, the more likely it is that you’re going to overwhelm the existing medical facilities.  In other words, if the number of people that ultimately need serious medical care from this thing all need it in the first month, the hospitals will be overwhelmed and people will die simply because care wasn’t available when they needed it.  If we can spread that same number of cases out over a longer period, say 6 months, then the volume of people that need care per day drops to a level the hospitals can deal with.  Quarantining MAY stop some people from getting sick but it WILL slow the spread, and that’s a critical part of what’s currently going on.
View Quote

It's a huge overreaction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's a huge overreaction.
View Quote

Not only was it not an overreaction, it was the only decision they could have made.  In the moment, decisions are made with the information at hand.  In other words, you can only “go with what you know”.  And what did they know at the time?  Not the wild rumors, but the facts.  They knew there was a novel virus that was highly contagious.  They knew that there was a lethal component to it, although not the scope of the lethality.  They knew the Chinese were lying about it, talking down the seriousness to the rest of the world while taking unprecedented steps internally.  

A decision needed to be made.  They were never going to get it just right, there were too many variables and, in this case, too many unknown’s.  That means they really only had two choices, do too little or do too much.  Given that one of the few facts they had was that the virus was potentially lethal, the choice was made for them.

It wasn’t an overreaction.  They needed to buy time to better understand what they were dealing with and they needed to slow the spread so that our medical facilities weren’t overwhelmed (flatten the curve).  The shutdown accomplished both of those goals.  No, it wasn’t perfect.  It never will be.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not only was it not an overreaction, it was the only decision they could have made.  In the moment, decisions are made with the information at hand.  In other words, you can only “go with what you know”.  And what did they know at the time?  Not the wild rumors, but the facts.  They knew there was a novel virus that was highly contagious.  They knew that there was a lethal component to it, although not the scope of the lethality.  They knew the Chinese were lying about it, talking down the seriousness to the rest of the world while taking unprecedented steps internally.  

A decision needed to be made.  They were never going to get it just right, there were too many variables and, in this case, too many unknown’s.  That means they really only had two choices, do too little or do too much.  Given that one of the few facts they had was that the virus was potentially lethal, the choice was made for them.

It wasn’t an overreaction.  They needed to buy time to better understand what they were dealing with and they needed to slow the spread so that our medical facilities weren’t overwhelmed (flatten the curve).  The shutdown accomplished both of those goals.  No, it wasn’t perfect.  It never will be.  
View Quote

I don't just agree with this, but so does EVERY reasonable person I know.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You’re right. I don’t like restrictions either but when you are dealing with an unknown situation leaders MAKE DECISIONS. Decisions made with lack of knowledge are rarely perfect. Then, as more information becomes known, new decisions have to get made.

It’s easy to look at something with hindsight and criticize. It’s hard to be the one who gets to make the decision and have to deal with the criticism of idiots. I’d MUCH rather have leaders who make decisions and get it wrong occasionally than to have “leaders” who won’t commit to making a decision at all for fear of making the wrong decision.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is precisely correct.  

Another way to look at it is this:  Better to do too much and save lives, than to do too little and find out that the deadliest pandemic in history just wiped out our nation.   (I wish this logic would be applied to climate change and the green movement: what's the worst case scenario for going green?  It turns out to not be caused by humans, and we leave a beautiful, less-polluted world to future generations?  Anyway, that's another discussion.)

Things are still playing out, but I suspect that if history looks back on these pandemic hoax people at all, it will be to mock them as mental midgets.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is precisely correct.  

Another way to look at it is this:  Better to do too much and save lives, than to do too little and find out that the deadliest pandemic in history just wiped out our nation.   (I wish this logic would be applied to climate change and the green movement: what's the worst case scenario for going green?  It turns out to not be caused by humans, and we leave a beautiful, less-polluted world to future generations?  Anyway, that's another discussion.)

Things are still playing out, but I suspect that if history looks back on these pandemic hoax people at all, it will be to mock them as mental midgets.
View Quote

So fanatical doomers and climate change people overlap? Who'd a thought? Oh yeah, both use complete bullshit models based in nothing and then move the goalpost later.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So fanatical doomers and climate change people overlap? Who'd a thought? Oh yeah, both use complete bullshit models based in nothing and then move the goalpost later.
View Quote

Are you trying to be funny?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's sadly funny, but not a single climate change model (the Russian model was the closest...go figure) has been accurate in the past 50 years and every model of this pandemic have been widely inaccurate.  Models have and will continue to be politically and financially influenced.  All models are over-predictions which influence policies...they have become biased science, just like political polls.  

Dr. John Christy, professor of atmospheric science and director of the Earth System Science Center at the University of Alabama Huntsville (UAH), analyzed all 73 UN computer models.

It’s a very embarrassing result for the climate models used in the IPCC report.” “When 73 out of 73 [climate models] miss the point and predict temperatures that are significantly above the real world, they cannot be used as scientific tools, and definitely not for public policy decision-making,” he added.

You'll find the same findings with the COVID 19 models...you can buy the hype, just buy it at your own risk...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

you can buy the hype, just buy it at your own risk...

View Quote

My point is that the risk is horrible:  If all the models are completely wrong, we'll have a cleaner planet for our descendants.  Oh, noes!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top