BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is a link to an electronics manufacturing forum thread that has some good insight and info.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/

I think that what is going on with manufacturers is significant, as *all* electronics are either directly sourced from (manufactured and assembled) in China, or at least the vast majority of components come from China.

If this virus gets out of hand over there, the ripple effects on goods availability could be, shall we say, interesting.

A quote from that link by a poster that I think is fair and accurate:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Here is a link to an electronics manufacturing forum thread that has some good insight and info.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/

I think that what is going on with manufacturers is significant, as *all* electronics are either directly sourced from (manufactured and assembled) in China, or at least the vast majority of components come from China.

If this virus gets out of hand over there, the ripple effects on goods availability could be, shall we say, interesting.

A quote from that link by a poster that I think is fair and accurate:
I see the globalized economy like a long train of nations with two locomotives: In the front, there is the US pulling the train, with most of the world's demand (by a single country, one can argue that the whole EU is a larger market). On the rear, there is another locomotive, China, pushing the world's supply. Either one of those locomotives stops, and the whole train (the whole world) will stop. If not completely, at least to a crawl.
Demand issues are far larger then supply issues.  Supply issues tend to be solved quickly (think a quarter or two).  Yes there will be hurt but I think you guys are making a much bigger deal out of a supply issue then it is.

The analogy also isnt accurate as China only supplies about 15% of our imports.  So it more like a single car on a 10 car train slows down so the engine has to work a little harder.  It wont stop the whole train.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had a prototype PCB order in China as well. Cancelled it (for store credit, I'll use it later) and switched to a South Korean manufacturer. Price was about the same per board, but I had to order twice as many (20) at a time. Higher quality boards though, so maybe a net positive as they *should* be production ready (final confirming prototype).

I had the order with PCBWay (sounds like you used JLC?), and they are 500 miles from Wuhan. They are closed until the 10th, maybe longer. The backlog will be significant.
View Quote
Your posting is why I mentioned it and did the update last week -- I figured it was worth updating again given how much worse the situation has become.

Yes, JLC. JLC is in Shenzen and 550 miles by air from Wuhan as well.

I think the big news is that the dates are sliding out and there's outright closures now.

DHL stopping business is also huge, and I've not seen any real coverage about that.

Which SK supplier? I got US quotes and they're all 10 times or more the price as China.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Demand issues are far larger then supply issues.  Supply issues tend to be solved quickly (think a quarter or two).  Yes there will be hurt but I think you guys are making a much bigger deal out of a supply issue then it is.

The analogy also isnt accurate as China only supplies about 15% of our imports.  So it more like a single car on a 10 car train slows down so the engine has to work a little harder.  It wont stop the whole train.
View Quote
The issue isn't the percentage of imports, it's the critical path. You can build something (a plane for example) where 99% of the parts are sourced elsewhere but a critical component is sourced from China -- no part, no plane. Obviously one will try to source that elsewhere, and if it takes two quarters to do that, the impacts are huge.

I don't think supply is a huge issue yet, but it's headed that way. A couple weeks can be managed, but a month or more and it's a big deal.

The timing of this aligning with chinese new year was incredibly lucky, as most in industry already plan for short-term supply shut down during CNY.

ETA:
This just came across a news site I follow:
Hyundai, Kia suspend some production lines amid coronavirus-triggered crunch
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Regardless on HOW disrupted the supply chain gets, the bottom line is many if not most companies are not going to be in a position to INCREASE profits, so they will not meet expectations and the markets are going to go down.

How far down and for how long is anybody's guess, but for most sectors it is not a business environment better than last quarter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#8]
the high end PCB supply was already tenuous due to Typhoon Hagibis affecting Panasonic's Japan plant, the result of which all but cut off the availability of Megtron6 and 7.  these are staples of the networking industry.  now we see leadtimes at practically every PCB house in china extended for one of three reasons: 1) they don't have their staff back yet, 2) they are anticipating shortage of raw materials because those sub-suppliers don't have their staff back, and 3) the vendors that are geographically disparate from the loci of the virus are getting overbooked.

my company is looking at every aspect of the supply chain and even with all that attention i'm sure there will be surprises -- some critical part is going to be unavailable simply because the plant that makes the epoxy that houses the die has half their staff out.   we are seeing it already with sheet metal parts out of china, it's the little things that are going to kill you.

incidentally while some china businesses have their staff back now, a lot of "state-level" government employees continue to be told to stay home until ~Feb 9.  this, in turn, is making it very difficult to get any sort of import/export paperwork done and materials shipped, much less expedited.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
We started the thread a month ago when they were only reporting 56 infected.  We are now up to about 30,000 infected.

Good summary page

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/4fdc0d03d3a34aa485de1fb0d2650ee0

Infectious disease experts do not yet know exactly how contagious or deadly the Wuhan coronavirus is. Compared to SARS and MERS, the Wuhan coronavirus has spread strikingly fast: While the MERS outbreak took about two and a half years to infect 1,000 people, and SARS took roughly four months, the novel coronavirus reached that figure in just 48 days.

However, current figures indicate that the Wuhan coronavirus is significantly less deadly than its relatives. Although the current outbreak has led to over 300 deaths, mostly in China, its fatality rate is around 2 percent; in comparison, the fatality rate for SARS was around 10 percent, and the rate for MERS was around 35 percent.

Experts believe that the Wuhan coronavirus is most contagious during its incubation period, which lasts up to two weeks. The virus can be transmitted between humans before symptoms appear, rendering detection and containment much more difficult.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Chinese company Tancent may have leaked possible true numbers of coronavirus casualties in China.

I would take it with a grain of salt, but the numbers could be MUCH higher than the offical Chinese reporting.  If the 'leaked' numbers are correct...
~154k infected
~25k deaed
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761044

This link was posted in the Virus Thread.

Reading thru it now, and it may provide some treatment answers.

Quote from one of the sections:

Most patients received antiviral therapy (oseltamivir, 124 [89.9%]), and many received antibacterial therapy (moxifloxacin, 89 [64.4%]; ceftriaxone, 34 [24.6%]; azithromycin, 25 [18.1%]) and glucocorticoid therapy (62 [44.9%]). Thirty-six patients (26.1%) were transferred to the intensive care unit (ICU) because of complications, including acute respiratory distress syndrome (22 [61.1%]), arrhythmia (16 [44.4%]), and shock (11 [30.6%]). The median time from first symptom to dyspnea was 5.0 days, to hospital admission was 7.0 days, and to ARDS was 8.0 days.

Patients treated in the ICU (n?=?36), compared with patients not treated in the ICU (n?=?102), were older (median age, 66 years vs 51 years), were more likely to have underlying comorbidities (26 [72.2%] vs 38 [37.3%]), and were more likely to have dyspnea (23 [63.9%] vs 20 [19.6%]), and anorexia (24 [66.7%] vs 31 [30.4%]). Of the 36 cases in the ICU, 4 (11.1%) received high-flow oxygen and 15 (44.4%) received noninvasive ventilation. Invasive mechanical ventilation was required in 17 patients (47.2%), 4 of whom received extracorporeal membrane oxygenation as rescue therapy. A total of 13 patients received vasopressors, and 2 patients received kidney replacement therapy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Kidney replacement therapy??
View Quote
Kidney's are plentiful in China....
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kidney replacement therapy??
View Quote
I'm guessing that's a bad translation for dialysis.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm guessing that's a bad translation for dialysis.
View Quote
This^^^
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761044

This link was posted in the Virus Thread.

Reading thru it now, and it may provide some treatment answers.

Quote from one of the sections:

Most patients received antiviral therapy (oseltamivir, 124 [89.9%]), and many received antibacterial therapy (moxifloxacin, 89 [64.4%]; ceftriaxone, 34 [24.6%]; azithromycin, 25 [18.1%]) and glucocorticoid therapy (62 [44.9%]). Thirty-six patients (26.1%) were transferred to the intensive care unit (ICU) because of complications, including acute respiratory distress syndrome (22 [61.1%]), arrhythmia (16 [44.4%]), and shock (11 [30.6%]). The median time from first symptom to dyspnea was 5.0 days, to hospital admission was 7.0 days, and to ARDS was 8.0 days.

Patients treated in the ICU (n?=?36), compared with patients not treated in the ICU (n?=?102), were older (median age, 66 years vs 51 years), were more likely to have underlying comorbidities (26 [72.2%] vs 38 [37.3%]), and were more likely to have dyspnea (23 [63.9%] vs 20 [19.6%]), and anorexia (24 [66.7%] vs 31 [30.4%]). Of the 36 cases in the ICU, 4 (11.1%) received high-flow oxygen and 15 (44.4%) received noninvasive ventilation. Invasive mechanical ventilation was required in 17 patients (47.2%), 4 of whom received extracorporeal membrane oxygenation as rescue therapy. A total of 13 patients received vasopressors, and 2 patients received kidney replacement therapy.
View Quote
Thank you for posting this.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Chinese company Tancent may have leaked possible true numbers of coronavirus casualties in China.

I would take it with a grain of salt, but the numbers could be MUCH higher than the offical Chinese reporting.  If the 'leaked' numbers are correct...
~154k infected
~25k deaed
View Quote
There seem to be a number of "experts" that are actually supporting those numbers.  Neil Ferguson, an "Infectious disease modeler/epidemiologist at Imperial College London" said that he believes that there are actually 50k new cases per day.  At 1:41 in the video below.  Of course, it's modeling and the real numbers may not match perfectly.

Professor Neil Ferguson on the current 2019-nCoV coronavirus outbreak (05-02-2020)
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Pandemic response kit howto:
Attachment Attached File

Pandemic Preparedness Kit #Coronavirus
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is it OK with you guys if I point the prep questions in Massive GD Thread here (Noting it is a tech forum with stricter rules)?

Have a Stats Thread in GD already, Then the huge Main Kung Flu thread.   I figure I can link to this one for prep questions.

Is that good?

Also hello, haven't talked to you guys in a while!
View Quote
I thought about suggesting that in the GD thread but didn't feel like fending off all the "you're not the boss of me"'s  
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is it OK with you guys if I point the prep questions in Massive GD Thread here (Noting it is a tech forum with stricter rules)?

@Brass

I'll go ahead and start it, and if not appropriate, Mods, please alter or delete.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#22]
New Research Suggests The Coronavirus May Be Far Worse Than We Thought
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Not-so-hypothetical question: A person is planning to fly from Taiwan to visit family. Someone from that family is coming to visit us within two weeks from then. Thoughts, strategies, concerns?

We, those of us in the States, are approaching the need to make decisions on social interactions. I’ve been watching this from the beginning and despite the utter insanity happening in China and surround countries, we haven’t seen much of anything to worry about in the US. Yes, I’m aware they are suppressing information even here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not-so-hypothetical question: A person is planning to fly from Taiwan to visit family. Someone from that family is coming to visit us within two weeks from then. Thoughts, strategies, concerns?

We, those of us in the States, are approaching the need to make decisions on social interactions. I’ve been watching this from the beginning and despite the utter insanity happening in China and surround countries, we haven’t seen much of anything to worry about in the US. Yes, I’m aware they are suppressing information even here.
View Quote
Cancel their visit with you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#25]
PSA: Posted here instead of in the MegaThread in GD-

Just got back from CostCo. Fairly light traffic in store. Got a few items, thought I'd list for you.

• SoftSoap Hand Sanitizer    2 X 80 oz.   $8.99

• Isopropyl Alchohol    32 fl. oz.  $3.49

• Hydrogen Peroxide  32 fl. oz.  $1.99

• Duracell Blister Pack Batteries (all sizes) $12.99 (14 count "C", "D")

• Dawn Platinum Dish Washing Liquid Soap  90 fl. oz.  $7.89

They had pallets and pallets of everything. No one seemed to care about these items.

I also stopped at the Dollar Store this morning. All they had were really small bottles of Isopropyl and Hydrogen Peroxide and Hand Sanitizer. Costco was a much better deal, and quantities I could use.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
PSA: Posted here instead of in the MegaThread in GD-

Just got back from CostCo. Fairly light traffic in store. Got a few items, thought I'd list for you.

• SoftSoap Hand Sanitizer    2 X 80 oz.   $8.99

• Isopropyl Alchohol    32 fl. oz.  $3.49

• Hydrogen Peroxide  32 fl. oz.  $1.99

• Duracell Blister Pack Batteries (all sizes) $12.99 (14 count "C", "D")

• Dawn Platinum Dish Washing Liquid Soap  90 fl. oz.  $7.89

They had pallets and pallets of everything. No one seemed to care about these items.

I also stopped at the Dollar Store this morning. All they had were really small bottles of Isopropyl and Hydrogen Peroxide and Hand Sanitizer. Costco was a much better deal, and quantities I could use.
View Quote
buy at Costco or sams club the large bottles and buy a couple of the small travel size bottles for carry and refill them from the large jugs!
I have been doing this for years!!

the bad thing is some of this we did to our selves by over doing antibiotics for every cold...
now there are bugs from heck that we have no defense from..
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

buy at Costco or sams club the large bottles and buy a couple of the small travel size bottles for carry and refill them from the large jugs!
I have been doing this for years!!

the bad thing is some of this we did to our selves by over doing antibiotics for every cold...
now there are bugs from heck that we have no defense from..
View Quote
While your statement isn't incorrect, Coronavirus is a virus and anitbiotics don't do anything to it. Yes, maybe antibiotics could have helped with secondary infections, but what's done is done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

While your statement isn't incorrect, Coronavirus is a virus and anitbiotics don't do anything to it. Yes, maybe antibiotics could have helped with secondary infections, but what's done is done.
View Quote
I think the point that he was making is that the rampant use of antibiotics for simple things, like the common cold, have led to superbugs.  He wasn't saying that antibiotics would help with the corona virus.  At least that's how I read his comment.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been thinking about foods preps much more than PPE preps.
I'm actually not going crazy trying to figure out PPE...I have the same stash of Tyvek stuff and n95's that I've had for many years...always kept a healthy cache of that kinda thing. Still, if things are so bad that going out in public is going to require suiting up....I just wont go out into public areas.

Thing is....the whole supply chain thing gets me concerned. I always had my usual MREs and freeze dried stuff...but with something imminent I am thinking more along the lines of dry goods (rice, beans, etc) and some canned stuff (soups, chili, etc)

I figure if things fizzle out...I'll make up some soups and casseroles and go through stuff over the next few seasons. And if things get hot, I can get weeks/months of food with very little storage space.

Frankly...my bigger concern is water...but I dont have a realistic solution for that yet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Frankly...my bigger concern is water...but I dont have a realistic solution for that yet.
View Quote
Do you have space for drums?  If not, 5 gallon hedpack bottles from brewing supply vendors will work.  Stabilize with unscented, non-gelled bleach or buy a dropper bottle of water stabilizer (which is just 5.25% sodium hypochlorite anyway).

A more expensive option are water bricks.  I ordered a bunch, but they are solid.  You can order screw-on spigots for them.

The most cost-effective option will be drums.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about foods preps much more than PPE preps.
I'm actually not going crazy trying to figure out PPE...I have the same stash of Tyvek stuff and n95's that I've had for many years...always kept a healthy cache of that kinda thing. Still, if things are so bad that going out in public is going to require suiting up....I just wont go out into public areas.

Thing is....the whole supply chain thing gets me concerned. I always had my usual MREs and freeze dried stuff...but with something imminent I am thinking more along the lines of dry goods (rice, beans, etc) and some canned stuff (soups, chili, etc)

I figure if things fizzle out...I'll make up some soups and casseroles and go through stuff over the next few seasons. And if things get hot, I can get weeks/months of food with very little storage space.

View Quote
walmart sells 5 gallon thick plastic empty water jugs with handles meant for a water cooler for $7 and they have screw on caps

they are much easier to move than 50 gallon drums and  10 are about the same price as a new 50 gallon drum
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#33]
>Frankly...my bigger concern is water...but I dont have a realistic solution for that yet.

Do you have a bathtub?

If so buy one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emergency-Container-Drinking-Hurricane/dp/B001AXLUX2/ref=pd_sbs_229_t_0/131-1159683-6701861?_encoding=UTF8&;pd_rd_i=B001AXLUX2&pd_rd_r=c46a238a-6ec8-40c9-86a0-76830e0e89b3&pd_rd_w=S5NA7&pd_rd_wg=9RYjy&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=1KHEQD4WNQPSP2NGVBAT&psc=1&refRID=1KHEQD4WNQPSP2NGVBAT

WaterBob: Emergency Bathtub Drinking Water Container

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#35]
A new study from Los Alamos Lab link provides some pretty alarming numbers.  The study is pre-peer reviewed.  Here's the abstract:

The novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a recently emerged human pathogen that has spread widely since January 2020. Initially, the basic reproductive number, R0, was estimated to be 2.2 to 2.7. Here we provide a new estimate of this quantity. We collected extensive individual case reports and estimated key epidemiology parameters, including the incubation period. Integrating these estimates and high-resolution real-time human travel and infection data with mathematical models, we estimated that the number of infected individuals during early epidemic double every 2.4 days, and the R0 value is likely to be between 4.7 and 6.6. We further show that quarantine and contact tracing of symptomatic individuals alone may not be effective and early, strong control measures are needed to stop transmission of the virus.
View Quote
Key Points from the paper:

Initial R0 was 2.2-2.7, they estimate it to be 4.7-6.6.

The doubling of the number of infections occurs every 2.4 days.

China's extreme lockdown has had an effect, but not enough.  The lockdown reduced the R0 from 4.7-6.6 to 2.3-3.0.  So a complete and utter shutdown did not fix the problem.

The situation on the Princess Cruises' Diamond Princess cruise ship, docked in Japan, is turning into a complete cluster.  3700 people on board.  218 confirmed cases w/ at least 20 Americans, the total count went up 44 since yesterday.  They have not even tested all of the people, the last count I read was about 400 people tested.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Manufactured crisis.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Manufactured crisis.
View Quote
A manufactured crisis and a natural crisis have something in common. They are both a crisis.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Sadly I believe our own press reports as much as I believe the Chinese state run media.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Manufactured crisis.
View Quote
Stupid.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Stupid.
View Quote
A reminder that this is a moderated technical forum
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A reminder that this is a moderated technical forum
View Quote
It was a pretty moderated response.  Had this been GD, the response likely would have been, "f*ckin' stupid".
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It was a pretty moderated response.  Had this been GD, the response likely would have been, "f*ckin' stupid".
View Quote
Let's not turn this into GD. Thank you.

I stand by my statement. Look at the facts.

all information is coming from China state run news directly to our state run news.
Neither is credible

China will not allow the CDC experts to help.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/health/cdc-coronavirus-china.html

15 cases in the US and it appears it doesn't spread as easily as it does in China ( could be the Chinese are germaphobes) and their immune systems are garbage.

If you want to freak out about something then look at the number of deaths from the flu.
https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/the-fear-of-the-corona-virus-and-the-reality-of-the-flu

The flu no longer gives ratings in the news.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Not sure of anyone has touched on any of these points, but I thought it might be of interest to some.

At work I deal with international traffic. I had a very enlightening conversation with a young lady who is originally from Wuhan, but has lived in Canada for the past 8years. Her parents are still in Wuhan, and more to the point their residence is directly across the street from one of the hospitals. Basically, she said the numbers being released are utter nonsense. She talks to her parents daily, all day bodies being taken out the back of the hospital and loaded into trucks or piled up to be loaded later. The government is constantly asking for "volunteers" to move the bodies, offering to pay them the equivalent of $150hr to do so. Once every 3 days a single family member goes to the store to buy supplies and then goes home. Private individuals are not allowed to use any type of motorized conveyance in city limits. The Chinese government added 3 channels to the TV to keep people entertained and keep them inside (even though they aren't supposed to go outside for leisure). She was in the process of picking up a bunch of PPE to send to her family overseas as well as keep a stash for her family over here.

Sorry it's just the cliff notes of the conversation, it was brief but rather interesting to me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

all information is coming from China state run news directly to our state run news.
Neither is credible

15 cases in the US and it appears it doesn't spread as easily as it does in China ( could be the Chinese are germaphobes) and their immune systems are garbage.

If you want to freak out about something then look at the number of deaths from the flu.
https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/the-fear-of-the-corona-virus-and-the-reality-of-the-flu

View Quote
Its lot easier to track, monitor, and quarantine all contacts of each infected individual when they number in the single digits. Not so easy when there are thousands. It's no surprise that it has a much, much higher transmission rate in China and is out of control. The US got the heads up on the problem before it became a problem. China didn't bc it was ground zero.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not sure of anyone has touched on any of these points, but I thought it might be of interest to some.

At work I deal with international traffic. I had a very enlightening conversation with a young lady who is originally from Wuhan, but has lived in Canada for the past 8years. Her parents are still in Wuhan, and more to the point their residence is directly across the street from one of the hospitals. Basically, she said the numbers being released are utter nonsense. She talks to her parents daily, all day bodies being taken out the back of the hospital and loaded into trucks or piled up to be loaded later. The government is constantly asking for "volunteers" to move the bodies, offering to pay them the equivalent of $150hr to do so. Once every 3 days a single family member goes to the store to buy supplies and then goes home. Private individuals are not allowed to use any type of motorized conveyance in city limits. The Chinese government added 3 channels to the TV to keep people entertained and keep them inside (even though they aren't supposed to go outside for leisure). She was in the process of picking up a bunch of PPE to send to her family overseas as well as keep a stash for her family over here.

Sorry it's just the cliff notes of the conversation, it was brief but rather interesting to me.
View Quote
We have heard that sending PPE over there is futile, as the packages never reach the intended families. Intercepted and contents given to PLA and PAP for their use. Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Neither is credible

View Quote
So are you saying that China is not on lock down and that they really aren't having an epidemic sweep through their country?  Honestly, I'm not sure how your post supports your assumption that this is manufactured.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We have heard that sending PPE over there is futile, as the packages never reach the intended families. Intercepted and contents given to PLA and PAP for their use. Sorry.
View Quote
Oh I wouldn't doubt it, and frankly I can't blame her for trying to get something to them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So are you saying that China is not on lock down and that they really aren't having an epidemic sweep through their country?  Honestly, I'm not sure how your post supports your assumption that this is manufactured.
View Quote
I’m saying it sure got the protesters off the streets.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top