User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can remove the child safety thingy on the Bics with needle nose pliers in about a minute. I do so on mine.
View Quote
Yeah, but I never remember to do that before it's too late. I need to swap out my old gerber multi-tool for one with more narrow tip pliers. I've still done it, just a lot more hassle so I try to avoid them when I can. Seems like when it comes time to head out I always just grab another out of the pack and toss it in the bag I'm using... I should just open the packs, rip them all off then reclose the pack enough to keep them in one place, or toss them in a ziplock or something.  *shrug* it's never been a real issue, just something I look for when buying.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
magnifying glass. Limited to daytime use.

Also, flint firestarters and cotton balls. People sometimes dip the cotton in something to make it fire up easier.
View Quote
I always carry a Bic lighter, plus my outdoor kit has a Fresnel lens (waaaaay more efficient than an ordinary magnifying lens) and a ferro rod and striker. Tinder is in plentiful supply anywhere in this state, so fire starting need not be more involved than those preparations.

Rolling cotton balls in petroleum jelly or some kind of grease and storing a bunch in a plastic bag is a cheap and convenient firestarter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
A Zippo would not be my first choice for SHTF deal.  Things are heavy maintenance and heavy compared to small disposables. They dry out

I'd just buy a small crate of BICs. That and a good knowledge of how to make friction fires and just call it good.

They can last incredibly long if you are not a smoker. I have always valued portable fire, so I always carry a mini BIC in my pocket. If I don't lose it, I buy a mini once a year. Still might be OK, but I chunk them after 12 months and get a new one.  I have a full size BIC I bought to leave in my tool box at work. I burn rope ends or light the occasional torch with it. It is 14 years old. It was an older one I retired from my get out of Dodge bag. Best guess is the thing is at least 15 years old and it still sounds like it's half full of fuel.

If things did not eventually take an upswing after a SHTF crash, I doubt I'll even survive a dozen BICs, even if I use them every day to light cook fires.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Cotton balls soaked in melted Vaseline plus one of these brass sparkers:

Amazon Product
  • Ultra-lightweight, reliable fire starter generates sparks in any weather conditions; easy one-handed use
  • Made of high-quality brass; designed to spark hundreds of times
  • Includes compact, waterproof storage tube with 3 replacement flints

I keep a bunch of the cotton balls and a sparkler in a soda preform along with a piece of wire with a hook bent on the end to dig them out.

Amazon Product
  • Weatherproof, Airtight; Will withstand submersion, overpressure, underpressure (within reason)
  • Cache Tubes' Compact Dimensions of 5-1/8 in. long by 1-1/4 in. diameter allow it to fit easily in pockets, backpacks, purses, first aid kits, survival kits, glove compartments, and more.
  • Impact Resistant, Food-safe PET construction with a capacity of 1.5 fl oz (3 tbsp; 45mL) mean it's ideal for holding spices, water purification tablets, compact fishing kits, fire starting kits, .22 lr ammunition, folded documents, currency, gold dust, medication, and so much more.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top