BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This has been brought up a few times in this thread, outside of movies I’ve never seen a semi auto effectively engage an aircraft...especially if it’s flying at say 3k AGL which is gonna be at the max effect range of about anything even if your right in the flight path. Getting shot down would be the least of my worries.
View Quote
I would still take the shot.

Accountant
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I would still take the shot.

Accountant
View Quote
I wouldn't waste ammo and bring attention to my location. What would be the objective, other than emotional satifaction?

The target box of the orthographic view of a light aircraft with few systems, has proportionally few vulnerabilities, even if one were lucky enough to put a round into it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This has been brought up a few times in this thread, outside of movies I’ve never seen a semi auto effectively engage an aircraft...especially if it’s flying at say 3k AGL which is gonna be at the max effect range of about anything even if your right in the flight path. Getting shot down would be the least of my worries.
View Quote
Out of curiosity, how many times have you seen an aircraft get engaged by a semi auto other than movies?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, how many times have you seen an aircraft get engaged by a semi auto other than movies?
View Quote
Never with a semi auto but I've been in one that got engaged by what I'd assume was a PKM, seen a couple others engaged by other belt feds.  Generally, it ends really poorly for the guys on the ground...but we're not talking about general aviation.

@Accountant

Why would you shoot at a small plane?  To get something from it? Try to scare it off? Just curious why waste the time/resources to randomly shoot at something that isn't having a direct impact on your SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to say if it was TEOTEAWKI low flying plans could be scouting your place.
Not sure if I have the skills to take out a plane with my 10/22.
I guess I need to source a SAM... Is that a form 1 kind of thing?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of you dudes just have no sense for imagining the possible ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnrJoV2mZg
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some of you dudes just have no sense for imagining the possible ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnrJoV2mZg
View Quote
Well, it WAS a 1911...good against Nazi tanks, good against choppers...where is your Glock god now?

Nick
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Short memories. 9/11/2001, the American airspace was shut down TO ALL but government sanctioned operations within the first hour for the next two weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Short memories. 9/11/2001, the American airspace was shut down TO ALL but government sanctioned operations within the first hour for the next two weeks.
True, in the sense that at 9:25 am on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 the U.S. Department of Transportation, via the FAA, ordered the U.S. National Airspace System (NAS) closed to all civil flights at its 460 controlled and 15,000+ nontower airports. Directed from the Air Traffic Control System Command Center (ATCSCC) at Washington Dulles, the FAA’s 17,500 controllers directed the landing of some 4,300 tracked airborne targets and ordered the diversion to Canada of 120 inbound overseas flights.

But there is a large gap between 460 controlled plus 15k nontower airports and ALL personal aircraft and landing strips.  A very large gap.

Detected violators were intercepted and I'm unaware of any violations being dished out but none the less, ops were not allowed. Bugging out by aircraft might leave you stranded at the airport.
I know for a fact that all small private aircraft were NOT intercepted.  I do not know how many were seen and not successfully intercepted vs seen and not attempted for intercept vs not seen.

I also believe based on briefings I've received that our ability to intercept aircraft domestically in 2018 is unfortunately actually less than it was in 2001.  I do not, however, personally know that to be a fact.

Your point is a very valid one though- especially if one intended to keep a bugout aircraft at an airport of any kind. My point is simply that not all personal aircraft spend all of their days parked on an airport and some of those aircraft did make successful flights on and after 9/11 while others could not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Why would you shoot at a small plane?  To get something from it? Try to scare it off? Just curious why waste the time/resources to randomly shoot at something that isn't having a direct impact on your SHTF scenario.
View Quote
I would not be worried about effective incoming fire either, really.  In the setup I've got experience with, I'd be more concerned with an intruder putting a log in the middle of the airstrip to deny aerial access to us.  In the terrain of my region, planes really cannot just set down anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Been a pilot for the last 17 years. I also have an ATP with a few type ratings and my instructor licenses. So I know things.

Several thoughts.

1) It really depends on your AO. Desert southwest, certain parts of the south and Midwest are all good to base and launch an airplane from. Also the GA fields are usually in rural parts. Northeast fuck no.

2) Your looking at something like a Cessna 170B or 180. Cheap, reliable, easy to fix. Payload is 2 people and 360lbs of gear or 3 people and 180lbs of gear. Anything bigger and your getting into mechanical complexity issues when you REALLY don’t want to be grounded. Also the Cessna 170 mechanically is about as complex as a VW bug. Anything bigger and the thing becomes like fixing a Prius. I also used to fix aircraft.

3) If you get a private pilots license you need to get an instrument license. That’s about 15k. And you need to keep yourself current flying every weekend.

4) The only jack asses who will be shooting at you are confirmed thug life retards with hi point 9mm. Your adverage Ferguson  
Dezien. Ask me how I know....... Bright side though is you can take the doors off the 170 and get yourself something drum or belt fed to help with that.

5) If you do bug out the airplane route you will effectively cut out all the bullshit in reaching your destination as long as the fuel and weather hold out.

6) Interesting note. IFR flying can be accomplished in what is considered war time conditions. It’s what the Army Air Force did during the invasions of France and Germany. Where ground based navigation stations were......unaccomadating. Thing is you need to understand your terrain so you don’t hit anything in the clouds. And you need a way of getting down. That could either be your field is clear and your getting out of the weather. Or some type of GPS approach. If you do it expect war time casualty rates though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As soon as I move to the desert, it will be a high priority to get one...
View Quote
+1 always have a plan
Actually having a small boat isn't a bad idea; because stuff happens. (even in the desert)

Having access to a plane would be a nice option for escape;
even in a 9/11 type grounding, if your family was in imminent danger you wouldn't do some tree topping to get out of Dodge?  
Looks like from this thread that a practical BOP would need to be larger and expensive; at least as big as a DH Beaver or Twin Otter
or preferably a C-2A Greyhound, C-123, or slightly used C-130? with floats?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dude, seriously?  

Apparently you never saw the movie, Road Warrior.

The 'Gyro captain' character in that same type of craft got shot down by a bad guy with a handgun  - IIRC, it was a S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think a Gyrocopter is an interesting option.
Dude, seriously?  

Apparently you never saw the movie, Road Warrior.

The 'Gyro captain' character in that same type of craft got shot down by a bad guy with a handgun  - IIRC, it was a S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum.
No, he was shot down by the "Compressed Air Gun Arrows" fired from multi-launcher in the back of "The Viper" Red Ford Pick Up...

Somebody needs to go back and watch their "Road Warrior" again...
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#13]
See You and Raise You...

2 crew + 12 passengers...

I don't want to leave my Harem behind just because of "The End Of Civilization"...

It will take prodigious breeding to restore our "Brave New World"...

Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like the AN-2 is the winner.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like the AN-2 is the winner.
View Quote
Whatever you have is the winner...  

Shirt on your back comes to mind...
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I can certainly see the utility in it. Having read both Patriots and One Second Later, those have good uses for planes. Recon would be priceless once bug out complete.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Another advantage of the Gyrocopter - apparently very hard to pick up on radar. A few years back a guy flew one right into DC and landed in front of the Capital as a political protest, wasn't detected until he was within eyeball range.

Combined with the minimal takeofff and landing area required, it's an ideal 'stealth' escapecraft, so long as you don't need to haul much onboard.

Here's a model made in Germany, for $66k brand new - about the cost of a nice car:

L x B x H: 5.1 m x 1.9 m (1.6) x 2.7 m
Rotor diameter: 8.0 or 8.4 m
Cruising speed: 160 km/h (86kts, 100mph)
Permissible maximum speed 185 km/h (100kts, 115mph)
Climb rate: 4 m/s (780fpm)
Range: approx 500 km (310 miles)
Max. take off mass 450 kg

A maximum of 120 meters distance is needed for take-off and only 20 meters for landing.

"A gyroplane, however, will provide 90% of the capability of the helicopter for 1/10th the price. The gyroplane's simplicity makes it as easy to maintain as a motorcycle. Combine non-stall design with extraordinary maneuverability, near-hover slow flight, unmatched stability, good speed and low cost, and you can see why those who have discovered gyroplanes are smitten."

--> Can bugout up to 310 miles @ 100mph.

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/gyroplanes-buyers-guide-2015/#.WyoSYxJKhE4
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#18]
What license is needed for gyroplane?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another advantage of the Gyrocopter - apparently very hard to pick up on radar. A few years back a guy flew one right into DC and landed in front of the Capital as a political protest, wasn't detected until he was within eyeball range.

https://static.politico.com/dims4/default/0f708a2/2147483647/resize/1160x/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3-origin-images.politico.com%2F2015%2F05%2F20%2F150520_gyrocopter_gty_629.jpg

Combined with the minimal takeofff and landing area required, it's an ideal 'stealth' escapecraft, so long as you don't need to haul much onboard.

Here's a model made in Germany, for $66k brand new - about the cost of a nice car:

L x B x H: 5.1 m x 1.9 m (1.6) x 2.7 m
Rotor diameter: 8.0 or 8.4 m
Cruising speed: 160 km/h (86kts, 100mph)
Permissible maximum speed 185 km/h (100kts, 115mph)
Climb rate: 4 m/s (780fpm)
Range: approx 500 km (310 miles)
Max. take off mass 450 kg

A maximum of 120 meters distance is needed for take-off and only 20 meters for landing.

"A gyroplane, however, will provide 90% of the capability of the helicopter for 1/10th the price. The gyroplane's simplicity makes it as easy to maintain as a motorcycle. Combine non-stall design with extraordinary maneuverability, near-hover slow flight, unmatched stability, good speed and low cost, and you can see why those who have discovered gyroplanes are smitten."

--> Can bugout up to 310 miles @ 100mph.

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/gyroplanes-buyers-guide-2015/#.WyoSYxJKhE4
View Quote
Interesting info, ... but it seems like a Gyrocopter/plane thingy would make an even easier target for a gangbanger with a stolen Barret .50-cal than the small conventional "bush" planes suggested earlier in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Interesting info, ... but it seems like a Gyrocopter/plane thingy would make an even easier target for a gangbanger with a stolen Barret .50-cal than the small conventional "bush" planes suggested earlier in this thread.
View Quote
Not sure if serious.

But, assuming you were:
-There is 0 reason for anyone to be shooting at your Bugout plane; unlike a roadblock, where you can kill the occupants and steal their supplies/women, shooting down a plane just destroys everything.

-The vast majority of the population sucks at shooting. The # of people who can hit a small flying aircraft 1000'-4000' feet in the air that is traveling 60-100mph is extremely low. And those folks are unlikely to be shooting down small gyrocopters.

-Even if a gyrocopter were to be shot in the engine, the design will automatically AutoRotate back to the ground safely - a much safer situation then attempting the land a plane or helicopter without power.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
-Even if a gyrocopter were to be shot in the engine, the design will automatically AutoRotate back to the ground safely - a much safer situation then attempting the land a plane or helicopter without power.
View Quote
You know about glide ratios in planes and auto rotation in helicopters?

Nothing about falling out of the sky to make contact with the ground is “automatically” done
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nothing about falling out of the sky to make contact with the ground is “automatically” done
View Quote
You're right, "automatically" may be a stretch, but they do seem to land quite easily without power.

Here's the video of one cutting it's engine and autogyrating down to earth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVRtNzvp-3A
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Semantics...
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're right, "automatically" may be a stretch, but they do seem to land quite easily without power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unconvincing ...  Nope, not gonna make myself an easily-seen flying target silhouetted against blue sky.

I'll take my chances with Max's V-8 Interceptor.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm taking the one that ain't in the shop and will start.
View Quote
Somehow I picture you requiring nothing less than a DC3 to carry all your stuff in a bug out situation
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#28]
You could always borrow the right plane if you had the knowledge and expertise
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm taking the one that ain't in the shop and will start.
View Quote
Well, that plan does have both merit and precendence:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#31]
The only thing stopping you is money, and a plan for food rotation.

Just like the military, projection of your forces requires logistics.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Here you go OP.

Saw this and thought of you sir....

The float plane and house have your name all over it. (#5 at 4:45 in the video)

10 Most Innovative Houseboats and Future Floating Homes
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#33]
House boats are still boats   ... and boats can be made to sink.

Lots of spendy needed there just to float in style.

It's $$$ better spent elsewhere, no?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"Most people have this fetish with vehicles"

No.  Most people just actually own one.
View Quote
This.

I have access to a truck.

I cannot afford a plane.

I work with the tools I have.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This.

I cannot afford a plane.

View Quote
One of the most common sense posts in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This.
I cannot afford a plane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Most people have this fetish with vehicles.

No.  Most people just actually own one.
This.
I cannot afford a plane.
Righteously said, ... right there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Meh, Ill take my chances out at sea.  I think a weeklong fishing trip would be more enjoyable than flying to another airport that could be experiencing the same issues as your hometown or worse, not to mention the possibility of not being able to refuel.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Who is in on an ARFcom group buy?

You all know you dream of bugging out like this.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Who is in on an ARFcom group buy?
https://i.imgur.com/I8dfQai.gif
You all know you dream of bugging out like this.
https://i.imgur.com/hyKW74L.gif
View Quote
Yeah, right.   Major air target right there. Hover low and make it easy ...

Dey gonna be chutin' at ya!
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah, right.   Major air target right there. Hover low and make it easy ...

Dey gonna be chutin' at ya!
View Quote
Don’t be scared. Chinook’s are the A10 of Helos.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#42]
For a solo prepper, the Black Fly might be the way to go. Ultralight, no pilots license, easy to fly, 25 mile range. Plan a hopping point or two, and you could decently get out of dodge. While fuels might be high on everyone’s immediate scavenger list, they just might overlook proprietary batteries that look unfamiliar.

Edit: Just saw this thing is solar power chargeable too. Might not even need to stash batteries on your route to your BOL n fantasyland.

Black Fly

Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For a solo prepper, the Black Fly might be the way to go. Ultralight, no pilots license, easy to fly, 25 mile range. Plan a hopping point or two, and you could decently get out of dodge. While fuels might be high on everyone’s immediate scavenger list, they just might overlook proprietary batteries that look unfamiliar.

Edit: Just saw this thing is solar power chargeable too. Might not even need to stash batteries on your route to your BOL n fantasyland.

Black Fly

https://i.imgur.com/8JsYH2q.jpg
View Quote
There's limited video of it flying and wonder about the marketing hype veracity.

I would consider getting one of these [or a similar vehicle, after a year of significant owner feedback] if they perform as advertised and adequate performance at altitude.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm already a pilot and know the weight limits of aircraft.

I also know all about the "high security" at GA airport.

I also know about how complex locks are on GA aircraft.

I'm not worried about owning one for SHTF
View Quote
I see what you did there.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I think I would rather have a Honda Ruckus and a few one gallon cans than a plane.

A powered paraglider sounds fun though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm already a pilot and know the weight limits of aircraft.

I also know all about the "high security" at GA airport.

I also know about how complex locks are on GA aircraft.

I'm not worried about owning one for SHTF
Whatever he did, he's poorly analyzed the potential scenario.

So many think they are way smarter than others it's laughable...

Maybe if he ACTUALLY OWNED a plane, he'd also be smart enough to think this through a lot better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

See You and Raise You...

2 crew + 12 passengers...

I don't want to leave my Harem behind just because of "The End Of Civilization"...

It will take prodigious breeding to restore our "Brave New World"...

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/3510/99344284.56/0_114361_ba7aa53f_orig
View Quote
3 gph..... OIL CONSUMPTION!
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I own a 182, which is a true 4 place aircraft.  Six place planes are a LOT pricier.

That said, bad plan.  First, you have to get to the airport, unless you live in an air park.  Next your ability to carry supplies with all 4 seats filled is limited.  Finally, what’s to say the place you are bugging out to is any safer?

Now if you have a backyard grass strip and a STOL capable taildragger...maybe it’s an OK plan.  If the weather cooperates on bugout day.  Yeah, weather matters with flying...like a lot.  What if there is convection that day?  Or icing?  Of low IFR conditions?

Cost is relative.  Figure a good 10k for training to PPL, not including an instrument rating (which I have).  Figure about 50k for an airworthy but older bird (mine is a 1962 model year).  That kind of coin can buy a lot of other prep options.  Aviation is NOT cheap...worth it, but not cheap.

I like what you’re selling, but not sure I’m buying.
View Quote
And to add to this: upkeep. Planes are expensive to maintain.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top