Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 2:12:09 PM EDT
I have a cavity on the right top molar.  My dentis won't drill and fix it, instead he wants me to go to his buddy who is an Oral surgeon to have it pulled.  Is there any home spun treatment I can use to clean the cavity myself?  I'm wondering Hydrogen Peroxide, etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
so youre going against the dentist's advice?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]
He said it could be drilled and filled but he would have a difficult time doing it, it would be easier if I just have it pulled. I have made an appointment with another dentist for a second opinion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
You're kidding right?
Go to the oral surgeon.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
jb weld.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I would get a second opinion, and have it taken care of properly
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would get a second opinion, and have it taken care of properly
View Quote
^This, even though the second opinion will probably be in agreement.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He said it could be drilled and filled but he would have a difficult time doing it, it would be easier if I just have it pulled. I have made an appointment with another dentist for a second opinion.
View Quote
What you should do ^^^

Also, on eBay, etc., there's an inexpensive effective Glass-Ionomer  based tooth filling material that may be useful for expedient repairs. It's in our preps.

Do some research on this--- My dentist uses it sometimes...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, I'll try to back into this one...

1) If the tooth had a "minor" cavity, he would drill & fill it...  The fact that he doesn't want to do that suggests that the problem isn't merely a "simple" cavity.  The cavity might be large, deep, or complicated that could make attempting a drill & fill "iffy" - i.e. prone to failure which would result in having to do something else...

2) Most teeth even with huge cavities and/or abscesses can be saved with a course of antibiotics followed by a root canal and crown.  The only reasons to not recommend this are - 1) drill & fill will work easily so there is no need for this (more complicated) option,  2) the tooth is so badly damaged that even this won't work,  - or -  3) CO$T.  The cost of a root canal and crown can easily approach $2,000!  

3) The only reasons to consider extraction are a tooth that is too badly damaged for (can't be saved by) #1 or #2 above or CO$T.  Extraction is cheap, quick, and easy compared to root canal & crown.  <An example of a tooth that can't be saved is a tooth with a deep longitudinal fracture (I had one of these - found out in the chair of the root canal doc - ended up extracting that tooth).>

For most dentists, extraction is the last choice - they always prefer to save the tooth if possible.

Best,
- R -
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've watched probably 12 hours worth of PFMs on YouTube. Lemme guess: 3M ESPE Rely-X Luting Plus? 
View Quote
Appears similar to what we got on eBay, the 3M product had the addition of fluoride and some other goodies it appears.

This item on Bay is ~$15 and claims to have a high fluoride release.

The 3M material is very expensive...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERMANENT-White-Dental-Teeth-Tooth-Filling-Kit-Repairs-Cure-Glass-Ionomer-/253165248706?hash=item3af1d320c2:g:1f0AAOSwm9tZwrSF
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]
In a survival situation, I might try something my oral surgeon did for a tooth I just had removed because of a benign infection that I and my family dentist buddy missed ----who I went to in the Spring and didn't detect the decay, there was a sensitivity we thought was receding gums for at least 6 months.

4 weeks ago I associated it with an infection in my cheek and some weird neurological sensations in my cheek.

I started Augmentin and Flagyl right away, got an appointment later in the week, family dentist filled one tooth #15 and prepped #14 for the surgeon to do a root canal, bone graft to build it up for a titanium stud, wrote a script for the same AB's, and got me in fast with the surgeon.

A few days later surgeon extracted the root, showed me a concoction of Augmentin and Flagyl  and cadaver bone powder he mixed and packed into where the root was.

Stitched it up, sent me home with a script for the same AB's ---and oxycodone I really didn't need.

Playing with the missing tooth spot and a loose stitch with my tongue now. The stitches have come loose a tiny bit two times and my SO clipped them. SO looked at this one this morning and said it was a loop and didn't want to clip it.

Have a second follow apt the end of this week. Will get it clipped.

Cost  LOL!  ~$400 for the family dentist, $2200 for the work done so far to do the root canal and bone transplant

Have to wait 5 months for the bone to be reinforced and heal.

Then--- ~$2000 for the titanium stud and THAT has to heal for 5 months.

Then back to my family dentist for a crown, about $1200.

Assuming no complications.

In a survival situation, I'd study -or get someone to- the cavity, clean it mechanically [Dremel or eBay tools] if the pain could be withstood, put in a tiny amt of clindamycin or Augmentin and fill it with the fluorinated glass ionomer.

LOL!!!!

Then have it fixed ASAP.

Read the book Where There Is No Dentist ---Free download.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Disregard.

I was asking for more details and saying you should get a second opinion from another dentist.

Maybe put an update in the OP?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#17]
It could be so much decay that simply pulling the tooth is the best option. My friend had that done. The cost to have the tooth pulled was about $300 (he's squimish so they used a conscious sedation, Versed or Vallium or something, which probably drove the price up), and I think it was $800 for an implant. Insurance would cover the tooth getting pulled, but not the implant. He was concerned about missing a molar, but says he didn't even notice it anymore after a month or so.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag for second opinion.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL, Dremel isn't the best option, creates heat. You need a way to cool it down while it's drilling IIRC, or the tooth gets all messed up.

It's too bad Dr. Tom in TN isn't still offering Field Dentistry classes, those were the shizzznet. He even had a drilling apparatus rigged up that could be used post SHTF. Great class, I took it twice. Would take it twice more...
View Quote
Prolly couldn't get a Dremel into the cavity,   of course squirt water on it if you could.

The Dremel or whatever would not be used to remove tooth material, just the soft 'rot'.

Dental tools might be more useful to remove the 'rot'.

Got some CBN lathe tool inserts a few months ago that cut wheel bearing outer race [any ball bearing material] like butter when I couldn't do much with carbide inserts.

Interestingly, my dental surgeon said he sat on a plane a couple weeks ago next to a dental instrument salesman who was selling dental drills of the same material and ordered samples.

[Cubic Boron Nitride]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top