Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2017 2:26:36 PM EDT
During the Irma evacuation there vehicles out of gas on the sides of the interstate. So my question is how can I safely carry some extra fuel ?
My vehicles;
Nissan Xterra Off Road,
Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition. Both have the stock roof racks.
For fuel cans I have 6 Scepter MFC's and 3 of the European made Jerry cans. Just need to carry 4-6 of the cans .
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I might look into a heavy capacity trailer hitch basket and/or invest in a roof basket. Both of those items and some ratchet straps and you should be able to do it. None of those are that expensive if you look around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
For the Nissan I would buy a roof rack from Garvin, then some high quality ties downs or cargo netting from a place like Front-Runner or Raingler nets.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
And wherever you carry it, cover/disguise it. It becomes like gold. If they don't know it's there, you don't have to defend it.

ETA If you use a roof rack, you can siphon into the tank without moving the can.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And wherever you carry it, cover/disguise it. It becomes like gold. If they don't know it's there, you don't have to defend it.

ETA If you use a roof rack, you can siphon into the tank without moving the can.
View Quote
Genius.  And you can probably do it pretty discretely.  Nice idea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
O.P do you have a utility trailer or small enclosed trailer?

If not a hitch mount rack with lockable plastic or aluminum toolbox or deck box. Keep can hidden inside. Hitch carriers are great. 6 MFC cans fit in mine. I ran two of the Kryptonite cables and locked cans to hitch rack and hitch locking pin. During a low fuel or no fuel hurricane I could see visible fuel cans as a target for armed confrontations. Keep it covered in a roof rack with a roof rack soft cover and it will look like luggage/household items.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
During the Irma evacuation there vehicles out of gas on the sides of the interstate. So my question is how can I safely carry some extra fuel ?
My vehicles;
Nissan Xterra Off Road,
Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition. Both have the stock roof racks.
For fuel cans I have 6 Scepter MFC's and 3 of the European made Jerry cans. Just need to carry 4-6 of the cans .
Thanks in advance.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Vehicle-evacuation-plan/5-2027322/#i67816391

^^^ clicky.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep five five gallon Jerry cans in a locked tool box in the truck. If my tank is full I can go a thousand miles give or take.
I would get a lockable tool box and fill it with cans and lock it to a hitch rack. Roof might work with a sturdy rack.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Like most things I suspect the cars that ran out of gas did not start with a full tank.
Just fill up your gas tanks before you leave and you can cut back on how much you need to carry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
You have to have the fuel on hand too. Rick Scott said in one of the briefings only fill your car and move on, do not take more than you need. The pictures of people in those lines and fighting was typical behavior of the unprepared.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:10:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a friend weld up a hitch mounted dual jerry can carrier a few years back.  It fits my wife's 2016 4runner without the need to relocate the license plate (it is visible even with two jerry cans on the carrier).

Works wonderfully.  I secure them using a single ratchet strap across the top of both cans.  Throw something like this on it to secure it, and you're good to go.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I like European metal jerry cans. (being in Europe they are kinda available) The ones from Lativa I believe it is, are well made.
I also keep a small 10L can, which is like your standard jerry can but 1/2 tall, in the car at all times. Given that its diesel and the car is 2.2L diesel engine, I can get another 120km or so from it.
This is in my Honda CRV year round, and there's been zero diesel smell in the car.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This seems to happen during every storm evacuation.
I would lash extra cans of gas to the roof, if there were no other external transport options like trailers or bumper mounts
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I did carried 2 full 5 gal. gas cans when I was in Houston TX  (Hurricane Harvey ). It came very handy when I drove to San Antonio, Austin and Georgetown. Because, most of the gas stations run out of gas or wait 2 or more hours in line just to fill up.

Don't drive if you don't have to.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#15]
You have a roof rack? What about a couple or three of the 6 gallon boat outboard motor tanks? Long enough fuel line/primer bulb to reach your fuel cap for easy refuel. Low profile, maybe paint for appearance of luggage carrier.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy or have someone fab up one of these:
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I made this and mounted it on my roof rack.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:07:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.catalograck.com/ImgVDHR/PRS/63152.jpg
View Quote
I have one of these that for my Jeep.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I have put the 5 Gal. European fuel cans in my truck tool box without it leaking at all as far as I can tell. They sometimes end up on there side and still no leaking that I can see. I don't drive all of the time with them because they swell up the cans with either the heat or the bouncing around while driving but for a trip where it may be an issue I load them up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://www.catalograck.com/ImgVDHR/PRS/63152.jpg
View Quote
Can anyone recommend WHICH one of these to purchase, there are a lot out there?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#23]
If you have to have a fuel container ASAP in an emergency and the shelves have been stripped bare...

Head on down to your bulk fuel supplier and get some similar to the picture below for abt $7. They may fill it too...

Call ahead w/ your CC #.

Displaying pretty red fuel cans on the road with folks insanely desperate for gas, is like walking thru the ghetto or Times Sq in NYC wearing a 18 kt diamond Rolex... Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#24]
You know those diamondplate truck boxes that sit behind the cab of the pickup? I moved it back a bit so the gas cans are flat against the cab of the pickup, sandwiched between the cab and the truck box. The guy in traffic behind me doesnt see it, and it's pretty discrete from the sides as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had a friend weld up a hitch mounted dual jerry can carrier a few years back.  It fits my wife's 2016 4runner without the need to relocate the license plate (it is visible even with two jerry cans on the carrier).

Works wonderfully.  I secure them using a single ratchet strap across the top of both cans.  Throw something like this on it to secure it, and you're good to go.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108939/IMAG0007-309482.JPG
View Quote
It seems like getting rear ended while carrying one of those full of gasoline would ruin your day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#26]
My neighbor evacuated out of S. FL. with his family when Irma was approaching in his Pathfinder.  He carried couple of 5gal cans on the hitch carrier which was hidden inside a "box" made of 1/2" plywood with a lid...a very basic construction.  The "box" had no bottom and was strapped to the carrier using 3 ratchet straps and a cable with lock.  It's sole purpose was to keep his gas hidden from prying eyes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Might be worth springing for a cheap-o Harbor Freight trailer.   Park it in your garage with your GO stuff stored beside it.

Can use it for Pick Up truck type hauling, and if you need to evacuate from your home, you can carry a large load on the trailer.

Just be sure to cover it all out of sight with a couple of HD tarps.   What they don't see, they don't covet...
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It seems like getting rear ended while carrying one of those full of gasoline would ruin your day.
View Quote
My thoughts as well. 
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You know those diamondplate truck boxes that sit behind the cab of the pickup? I moved it back a bit so the gas cans are flat against the cab of the pickup, sandwiched between the cab and the truck box. The guy in traffic behind me doesnt see it, and it's pretty discrete from the sides as well.
View Quote
Or, if you want to splurge, something like this?

Amazon Product
  • Aluminum Tank and Toolbox - NO RUSTING
  • Heavy-duty 0.125 ga. aluminum used for tank
  • Toolbox built using 0.058 ga. aluminum

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Having the gas you need is important, but we can get carried away.  If you have to leave a coastal or low lying area of Florida,  in all honesty,  you don't need to evac from Florida to Atlanta.    It is very unlikely that any of us would need 1000 miles of fuel.   If you feel that is important, and probable, by all means prepare for that.    My vehicle easily goes the 350 miles from Miami to Gainesville on 3/4 tank.  Even allowing for idling in heavy traffic, no more than one 5 gallon can would handle almost any contingency.
I have not heard a single instance of violence during the Irma evac.  Not really sure if worrying about protecting your gas  stash is worth worrying about.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Personally, I'm adding an Aux fuel tank (modified XJ takeoff tank assembly) in the spare tire slot to my Jeep Grand Cherokee for 40 gallons of diesel total. Out of sight fuel reserve with a flick of a switch is vastly superior to juggling around four gas cans.

There's even a bolt on 30 gallon unit available if your want to spend $2k!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I did carried 2 full 5 gal. gas cans when I was in Houston TX  (Hurricane Harvey ). It came very handy when I drove to San Antonio, Austin and Georgetown. Because, most of the gas stations run out of gas or wait 2 or more hours in line just to fill up.

Don't drive if you don't have to.
View Quote
I did this as well in my Land Cruiser with the VP Racing Performance Gas Jugs.

VP Racing Gas Jugs
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the idea of a on-board reserve tank protected by the chassis vs off the back even though I have one of those racks. I had my truck just stall and I was parked on the side of the road off the asphalt and was still rear ended by a k5 blazer doing about 70-80 and it bent my hitch to my rear axel of my suburban and turned my tank vertical and punched a hole in it. They said was a wonder it didn't explode.

These are interesting looking as they are flat easier to stack but would be heavy, though you could hook a hose on them if on top and gravity fill the tank at a stop.

Link
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Might be worth springing for a cheap-o Harbor Freight trailer.   Park it in your garage with your GO stuff stored beside it.

Can use it for Pick Up truck type hauling, and if you need to evacuate from your home, you can carry a large load on the trailer.

Just be sure to cover it all out of sight with a couple of HD tarps.   What they don't see, they don't covet...
View Quote
Some states like PA require trailers to have separate tags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Just a general note on gas cans...make sure you've tried your cans!  My old neighbor upgraded his gas cans from EPA something to metal cans.  He offered me his old ones.  I stashed them away.  We moved long distance and I filled several of the "cans" with gas.  Middle of nowhere it was time to add some gas from the cans.  Pain in the butt trying to hold the can, push in the button, hit the hole, keep from spilling gas all over the place.  Why do we love the EPA?  I was lucky the guy gave me a couple of extensions for the cans.  Once I figured out I needed to use one I managed to get gas into the truck.  Next trip I was ready and it went pretty well.

Try stuff you're going to need before you need it!  Some things that seem so simple aren't.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just a general note on gas cans...make sure you've tried your cans!  My old neighbor upgraded his gas cans from EPA something to metal cans.  He offered me his old ones.  I stashed them away.  We moved long distance and I filled several of the "cans" with gas.  Middle of nowhere it was time to add some gas from the cans.  Pain in the butt trying to hold the can, push in the button, hit the hole, keep from spilling gas all over the place.  Why do we love the EPA?  I was lucky the guy gave me a couple of extensions for the cans.  Once I figured out I needed to use one I managed to get gas into the truck.  Next trip I was ready and it went pretty well.

Try stuff you're going to need before you need it!  Some things that seem so simple aren't.
View Quote
Super Syphon makes it a lot easier than the trouble you have experienced.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#39]
I know the OP said he already has 5 gallon cans, but for those who haven't purchased cans, Rotopax is a great, although spendy, alternative.  We use these on our motorcycles when we know we'll be far away from the gas station.

Here they are on an xterra, much lower profile than the 5 gallon cans - 4 gallon rotopax shown in the pic.

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Displaying pretty red fuel cans on the road with folks insanely desperate for gas, is like walking thru the ghetto or Times Sq in NYC wearing a 18 kt diamond Rolex... Ask me how I know.
View Quote
Yes sir!  I know of two people who had to use a gun to keep prospective thieves from stealing gas out of their truck WHILE THEY WERE THERE.  Two separate incidents.  People get desperate and feel they have a right to your stuff.   There is no concern for law, or your needs, or the fact that they had just as much time to get ready as you did.  

I'm all for methods that keep it hidden.  Then, if you want to help someone, you are perfectly able.  

Doc
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#41]
A few decades ago while doing some security work in Mexico I had to wrestle my way to the pumps at a pemex with a gas can as there was there was no way to get to the pumps.
I paid some ridiculous price for a full carboy then had to battle my way back to my jeep and traveled to the middle of a field to refuel since I had no one to watch my back.

Lessons learned
Gas cans had to be hidden and crowds avoided. At every stop, a crowd was FFing everything to see what they could take.
And it was not a gun situation a cutdown shovel handle was sufficient to wack a wrist that grabbed at my carboy had I had to shoot someone down there it would have had unpleasant consequences.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes sir!  I know of two people who had to use a gun to keep prospective thieves from stealing gas out of their truck WHILE THEY WERE THERE.  Two separate incidents.  People get desperate and feel they have a right to your stuff.   There is no concern for law, or your needs, or the fact that they had just as much time to get ready as you did.  

I'm all for methods that keep it hidden.  Then, if you want to help someone, you are perfectly able.  

Doc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Doc
The emergency doesn't even have to be dire for people to lose their minds.  About a year ago, a water main in our town was contaminated with sewer water and tainted all water to everyone living on one of the hills in town that also has a college campus on it, so a lot of people in the relatively small town were effected.  

I had an infant at home and was working from the house, so I decided to load her up early on and head to Walmart to pick up extra water just incase the outage went on too long (ended up being about a week before municipal water was safe to drink - and another week before we were confident enough to drink it).  I had a modest reserve at the house, but wanted to make sure the baby and mom had plenty.

By the time I got some water in my cart (taking a couple of flats of bottled water and two one gallon jugs for formula supplement), the crowd started showing up.  I headed over to the produce area and was picking out some cilantro when I caught a woman reaching into my cart to grab the water - while my infant daughter was sitting in the seat!  I was within arms' reach of the cart and there was a baby in the cart, but the securely middle class neighborhood had poop in the pipes, so this woman acted like it was the opening scene of World War Z.  

Of course, I could have done my part to reduce the panic run on fresh water by being better stocked and avoiding the store for even a broken pipe, so I improved my stock.  God forbid eastern Washington/Northern Idaho gets hit by a hurricane.  We're just not built emotionally over here to handle panic runs on anything other than .22lr and monster elk.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly my thoughts. A chance of being 'rear-ended' goes way up in stop and go traffic. This is the kind of traffic you will experience during evacuation. Even a slow speed collision may cause the gas cans to rupture. You know what happens next.
It's best to keep some gas stored at the house and fill up the tank from the cans before evacuating. This will provide enough range to get way out of the area. Also, try to practice - 'half tank = empty tank" rule and always refill the tank when it gets half full (or even more). Even half tank will last enough to get out of the area.

Also, many mentioned the European style gas cans. Keep in mind that they tens to leak when the gasket gets old. Keep spare gaskets for them. A 1/4" thick piece of rubber (or similar material) may work in an emergency but many materials will swell when exposed to gasoline.
BTW, I used to carry gasoline with me all the time when I lived in a country where it was not available everywhere. We used 20 and 10 liter European cans. I carried gas cans in the trunk or on the roof rack. I never siphoned gas from the cans, unless it was absolutely necessary. A good funnel, shaped to stay in the fill opening of the gas tank, works the best. This way you don't need to hold it while filling the tank. I always put a piece of clean rag in the funnel to be able to see any contamination and to filter the gas. It takes about a minute to transfer gas from a 5 gallon can into a gas tank. I've done it at least 500 times. A properly shaped funnel worked better than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You have a roof rack? What about a couple or three of the 6 gallon boat outboard motor tanks? Long enough fuel line/primer bulb to reach your fuel cap for easy refuel. Low profile, maybe paint for appearance of luggage carrier.
View Quote
They also make larger versions, up to around 50 gallons.

This particular one (made by Moeller) is 15 gallons, and would strap in nicely on a roof rack:

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This particular one (made by Moeller) is 15 gallons, and would strap in nicely on a roof rack:

http://www.skibane.com/Moeller_15_Gal_Topside.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.skibane.com/Moeller_15_Gal_Topside.jpg
The genuine NATO Jerrycans are great, I had one In my car for a week with no fumes at all.  

That said, the Moeller idea is a great one.  A lot of them are inexpensive.  Paint it black, and it's low profile.  

The guys saying you only need one tank, are flat out Wrong, for those of us in S. Florida.  I saw it first hand during Irma.  The gas Panic started 5 days before landfall.    My family bugged out early,(3days before), and gas was already sold out of most places, all the way up into Georgia.  

Honestly, anywhere in the country,
People who value preparedness, should have fuel preps.  What's the first thing the herd does when they get spooked?    They stampede to the Gas Station.    It's a bizarre cultural phenomenon, but it's very deeply ingrained.   I noticed it first on 9-11-2001.     In STL MO. People were swarming the gas stations.          It made no sense, and that's why it made such a big impression on me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I've used  the hitch tray in the past, because it's what I had. I have 7 of the old style jerry cans that fit nicely. Strapped down with  the fill holes facing out, I can fill all of them quickly and easily. Loading and unloading is easy, too.  

For bugout, I'd use this method,  adding some items to the top of the cans to disguise the shape, and tarp it all.

I've thought about getting rearended hauling 35 gallons, which is about 2 feet behind the 42 gallons in the tank. I'd like to stiffen things up a bit.

I'm not a big fan of having fuel on top of my vehicle. It would be alot of weight and I'd be concerned about leaks. If it's going to get punctured, I'd rather it leak out on the ground behind me, not on top of me.

Also, at some point, I'd have to get the full cans up or down from the top. The idea of gravity flow to fill the tank is nice.

Lastly, I'd be using a roof rack, and hitch rack. I'd rather have my gear up top. It's easier to strap down. And the hitch rack always gets coated in mud, slush, and road spray. I'd rather  that be my tarped cans.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Keep the roof rack while driving weight limit in mind. My Gobi has a 300lbs weight limit while driving, which equates to about 37.5 gallons of fuel, at 40 pounds per 5 gallons that's 7.5 jerry cans. I would rather save the roof rack for larger and lighter gear and store the gas in a hitch mount.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Roof Rack.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I know the OP said he already has 5 gallon cans, but for those who haven't purchased cans, Rotopax is a great, although spendy, alternative.  We use these on our motorcycles when we know we'll be far away from the gas station.

Here they are on an xterra, much lower profile than the 5 gallon cans - 4 gallon rotopax shown in the pic.

http://photo.garyjean.com/img/s11/v35/p1054119764.jpg
View Quote
Are those just laying on the roof or is there some type of rack that they are on ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top