Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2017 11:07:56 PM EDT
How important is it to run your generator at, or near FULL capacity?  For instance, I run my Champion 4000 (max) watt generator every month or so, and I use a 1500 watt space heater set to cycle off and on... Should I be running 2 heaters (and other items) to approach the Champion's rated output, or is it ok to just keep on cycling it at about half the rated output?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never bothered to exercise them with more than a space heater or to myself.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I typically run around 50%. If it runs and generates a decent amount of power, you're in good shape.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:44:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How important is it to run your generator at, or near FULL capacity?
View Quote
Not very.

50 percent of rated load is plenty to give it a good workout.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
not diesel. don't worry about it
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#5]
All I use is an old 100 watt light bulb on all my gens when I exercise them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is a gasoline engine, you don't need to work it hard.  As a matter of fact, you don't need to apply a load at all if all you want to do is be sure the engine fires up and runs smoothly.  Having said that, I always apply a load to each arm (120 volts) of the 240 volts.  I use a dead load which draws 900 watts (a coffee pot).  I also meter the generator output for voltage and frequency (Hz) with a Kill-a-watt meter ($19 @ Amazon).  I meter the output with and without a load to be sure that the generator puts out reasonably usable power.

I live in SE Florida so my 12 year old generator (used it in Hurricane Wilma - 2005) just finished a 38 continuous hour workout.  It ran perfectly and did its job faithfully.  Did metering during the outage and the old girl still has what it takes...  Output voltage was 120 ± 3 volts and output frequency was 60.5 ± 1 Hz depending on load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top