Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/31/2017 2:07:58 PM EDT
For construction reasons (we are moving in a new house on the property), it looks like we will be off-grid from Tuesday morning until Thursday evening/Friday...ish...

Going to be running on generator power, using my champion duel fuel 9000 watt generator, running on propane.

Will make notes of what works, what doesn't, etc.

For those who are interested, we are an all electric house. Electric cooking, electric heat/AC, electric hot water, etc. 

There is a SLIGHT, and I mean SLIGHT, chance that I am actually ahead of schedule come Tuesday (and the electric permit comes on time before the holiday weekend) and I can have the power back on Tuesday night, otherwise we run a few days on genny power.

Feel free to post anything specific you may be interested in, and I will see if I can provide the data. Will be powering the entire property using a freshly installed outdoor main 200 amp panel, generator interlock, and dedicated input terminal.

UPDATE: Week 3 update on page 2

UPDATE: Week 4 (Final) update on page 2
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
How big is your propane tank?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 3 100# cylinders ready.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If you haven't already done some testing, I'd play around to just see how much the generator can handle.  Turn on the A/C and bunch of other stuff, to see how it handles high loads.

Curious if there would be any difference in power output between gasoline and propane.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on the generator the output with propane can be up to about 10% less.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
We only have a couple 5k btu window A/C units. They will run fine if needed, although its supposed to only be in the 60's.

Our biggest questions are:
Electric water heater-maybe, should work in theory. Each element is 2000 watts IIRC
Electric oven- have serious doubts
Electric stove top- small burner only?
Electric dryer- run on low heat?

This will be the first time we are on generator power in a whole-house setup. Before it was always extension cords everywhere to things like fridge/freezer/TV. Never had the option for any 240VAC appliances to be used.

What WILL be running simultaneously (or at least these all stay plugged in):
4 chest freezers. All modern, very little power requirements.
3 refrigerator/freezers (may cut down to 2 or 1 if I can manage)
internet/phone system
up to 2 5k btu window A/C units 
at least 1 laptop
LAN networking equipment (I have a home office)
flat screen TV and DVD player. minimal power needed, may use our little 12v TV/DVD that is for the camper. Draws next to nothing. Special needs toddler, so its a must.

If we run a few days, I may run some gasoline just to see if the extra power makes any difference in the above high load items. 

I have 2 other 3500 watt generators if needed, both of those only produce 120VAC current. One runs propane only, other is gasoline only. 
ETA: The propane 3500 watt generator is basically dedicated for the camper, as it is just large enough to run the central A/C in it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We only have a couple 5k btu window A/C units. They will run fine if needed, although its supposed to only be in the 60's.

Our biggest questions are:
Electric water heater-maybe, should work in theory. Each element is 2000 watts IIRC
Electric oven- have serious doubts
Electric stove top- small burner only?
Electric dryer- run on low heat?

This will be the first time we are on generator power in a whole-house setup. Before it was always extension cords everywhere to things like fridge/freezer/TV. Never had the option for any 240VAC appliances to be used.

What WILL be running simultaneously (or at least these all stay plugged in):
4 chest freezers. All modern, very little power requirements.
3 refrigerator/freezers (may cut down to 2 or 1 if I can manage)
internet/phone system
up to 2 5k btu window A/C units 
at least 1 laptop
LAN networking equipment (I have a home office)
flat screen TV and DVD player. minimal power needed, may use our little 12v TV/DVD that is for the camper. Draws next to nothing. Special needs toddler, so its a must.

If we run a few days, I may run some gasoline just to see if the extra power makes any difference in the above high load items. 

I have 2 other 3500 watt generators if needed, both of those only produce 120VAC current. One runs propane only, other is gasoline only. 
ETA: The propane 3500 watt generator is basically dedicated for the camper, as it is just large enough to run the central A/C in it.
View Quote
If 9K is the sustained you should be able to run everything. Even 7500 sustained should be ok.  Stove, water heater, etc are all direct load and not inductive (no motor) so no startup.  So the rated usage is the max it will use.  Just don't run all your direct heating elements at the same time (don't cook and take a shower and dry clothes at the same time.  You should be ok with any one of the direct heat elements and all the others together in their normal usage.

Most freezers are normally under 500W, 2x startup induction load (so 1000W worse case, 8A on 110).  Fridges or fridge/freezer combos usually have less insulation so tend to be 800W +induction load. The biggest item that people run into is big deep water well pumps.  Pulling up heavy water uses way more than most  central ACs.

Edit - One thing I should note your direct (220V) will be pulling across two phases and 110 will be pulling one phase, so you may run into issues depending on the load configuration within your panel....if you produce in 3 phase and are wired as such.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The 120VAC generators are only for things like the camper or powering the well pump, or other individual 120VAC needs. Would not try to power through my whole house setup.

Its only a 1/2 hp well pump, 120VAC. My little 3500 watt generators (surge wattage) doesn't even notice the well pump kicking on. 
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you done the load calculations and the propane you have? A small 250-300 gallon propane tank would definitely be on my to do list ifI where you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally I would check your owners manual for oil change intervals. Those small generators are really only meant for standby use.. I seem to recall the recommended oil change for something similar being only like 100 hours or so. If you are running 12 hours a day or even 24/7 obviously you will get to that point in only a few days. Same goes for even the bigger stationary propane genny's.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Have not done load calculations or anything. Far too busy to even bother. I know I can run 3 campers with A/C going with that generator, and doing so sucks fuel.

Anything other than 100 pound cylinders are not an option at this time, but I refill them for wholesale cost.

Oil changes will be done on schedule per owner's manual. I've run this generator for 3 days before (when I powered all 3 campers) and it did just fine. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the same Champion 9000 watt dual fuel genset, our home is all electric except for the water heater and furnace. Last outage this summer we ran the entire panel through the interlock switch / breaker and it never missed a beat when loaded up, aside from the loads that cycle themselves on and off as needed like the well pump, fridge, deep freeze etc. we were running all of that plus the mini split AC and baking in the oven all at the same time with lights and electronics on as well.

The cadence of the engine hardly changed when it was working hard and I kept an eye on the volts and hertz with a kilowatt meter and that generator makes very clean consistent power.

Champion really makes a good product, I never expected that to be as capable as it is. I've only run it during outages on gas so far but I have a couple 100 pound LP tanks stored away just in case.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
NO chance of getting things done "early", so we are confirmed to be off-grid from Tuesday morning until at least Thursday afternoon.

Assuming we pass inspection the first time  
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Personally I would check your owners manual for oil change intervals. Those small generators are really only meant for standby use.. I seem to recall the recommended oil change for something similar being only like 100 hours or so. If you are running 12 hours a day or even 24/7 obviously you will get to that point in only a few days. Same goes for even the bigger stationary propane genny's.
View Quote
I think a lot of people forget about oil changes. I have 6 of the big jugs of oil stashed away for my 3500 champion. You can get to that 100 hours pretty quick and run out of good oil before you run out of fuel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#14]
So far, so good.

Interlock on the outdoor main panel, or the outdoor main panel for that matter, are not done. I made an extension cord out of 10/3 outdoor wire, drove a grounding rod, and hooked the generator directly to the main feeds to the panel. It's just a very temporary situation until I get the new outdoor main installed.

Generator running everything we are using except the water heater. Since the water heater is on an off Peak meter, apparently when you are on generator power the interrupter won't turn on the water heater relays. I'll call the co-op tomorrow and ask if I'm missing something.

Otherwise there toaster oven all 3 refrigerators, 4 be chest freezers, all lights, be well pump, and etc. All working as normal, no cycling circuits or anything. Haven't tried the oven yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Last night was uneventful. Left the water heater circuit on, and it started working in about 5 minutes. So we now have electric hot water as well. 

Still not cycling any circuits.

Will be trying the clothes washer and dryer today along with the dish washer and oven. It ran one of the small flat top burners on high last night just fine though.

Today I'll change the oil.

Started on a fresh 100 pound cylinder last night about 8:30. I'll make note when it dies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I hope OP has the forethought to store 87 jerry cans of gas.

Not that it will help in this situation but seems to be the catch all solution in many a thread these days.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#17]
This is almost boring, which is a good thing.

So I'm not sure the water heater was ever running. The Mrs said the water got hotter after a while of the breaker being on, but now there is no hot water this morning. 

Did an oil change (was 5 hours over, but I run synthetic), and the oil still seemed serviceable by rule of thumb. Seems synthetic is holding up very well.

We are able to use the dishwasher, oven (electric), stove top (electric), clothes dryer (electric), and I'm sure the water heater would work if the breaker would let it. All lights and whatnot are fully functional. All 3 refrigerators and 4 freezers are running as normal.

One oddity is that the clock on the oven is slow. It was an hour slow this morning. Kind of odd, but the only thing I can figure is that the clock in the oven uses the line hertz instead of having its own oscillator for clock function. Oh well.

The wife HIGHLY enjoys having everything running as usual. No extension cords all over, no moving lamps or anything. I asked her if she is enjoying that I spent the extra $150 or whatever and got the bigger generator (she thought it was a waste of money at the time). She sheepishly said "maybe" 

Still running on the original 100 pound propane cylinder. Judging by the ice line on the tank this morning, we are at about 20% or so left. Probably get us until late afternoon/evening depending on how much laundry the Mrs does today and if I fire up my 3D printer.

The generator itself has been boringly reliable. Loud, but reliable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#18]
That seems to be a typical experience with this unit, nothing but rock solid performance from mine and just about everyone I know has bought the same model from Costco over the last few years.

I recall readings accounts when I was shopping for one in some of the off grid homesteading forums from owners of the Champion dual fuel 9k units that claim obscene amounts of total operating hours (5K plus) running them on 5-30 full synthetics.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, had the first issue.

Running the dryer is plenty doable, but something else kicked on the same time (wasn't the water heater, that circuit was off) and while the generator tried, she died after about 5-8 seconds of trying. Didn't blow the breaker, it killed the engine. Perhaps a fridge or a couple freezers kicked in the same time as the well pump? I have no way of knowing at this point.

Thoughts on that:
I don't know what kicked in. Probably the well pump is my guess, but I have no idea.
Since it ALMOST was able to do it, had I been running on gasoline (give more power), she may have been doable. Since I don't know what kicked in, I can't recreate it while on gasoline.

Operational notes: when drying clothes, turn off all circuits to pumps/compressors. Lights/internet/TV staying on are fine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh, we are now off-grid until at least Tuesday, making this at least a 7 day outage. Didn't have time to finish up the electrical yesterday with the house being moved, so Tuesday is the earliest I can be inspected so the CO-OP will turn the juice on.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged. Want to see what other issues you run into over the next few days.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd be willing to bet the load that killed it on propane wouldn't have been an issue running gasoline, it makes way more HP at the crank on gas.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd be willing to bet the load that killed it on propane wouldn't have been an issue running gasoline, it makes way more HP at the crank on gas.
View Quote
Maybe and true.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Thoughts I'm having:

Its easier/better to have smaller loads than bigger generator. I've always preached this anyway, but it is little things like the downstairs clothes dryer will be gas, the downstairs oven will be gas. 

Since I'm basically building a house from scratch right now, I'm looking at these issues and making adjustments accordingly.

Another is consolidation of refrigerators. I'm considering getting a large chest freezer and turning one of my smaller freezers into a fridge. This will let me ditch the two extra refrigerators which will save money on running costs and generator needs. The fresh food lifestyle (at least our version of it) relies heavily on refrigeration, but that doesn't mean it can't be efficient.

When you are providing ALL of your own energy needs like this, it does allow you to more easily focus on waste.

Again, like I've preached before, this is something EVERYBODY should do. Run your backups for a few days. See what you never knew you were forgetting. We will have 7 days (or more if I fail first inspection) off-grid. Already changes I want to make and its only day 2.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thoughts I'm having:

Its easier/better to have smaller loads than bigger generator. I've always preached this anyway, but it is little things like the downstairs clothes dryer will be gas, the downstairs oven will be gas. 

Since I'm basically building a house from scratch right now, I'm looking at these issues and making adjustments accordingly.

Another is consolidation of refrigerators. I'm considering getting a large chest freezer and turning one of my smaller freezers into a fridge. This will let me ditch the two extra refrigerators which will save money on running costs and generator needs. The fresh food lifestyle (at least our version of it) relies heavily on refrigeration, but that doesn't mean it can't be efficient.

When you are providing ALL of your own energy needs like this, it does allow you to more easily focus on waste.

Again, like I've preached before, this is something EVERYBODY should do. Run your backups for a few days. See what you never knew you were forgetting. We will have 7 days (or more if I fail first inspection) off-grid. Already changes I want to make and its only day 2.
View Quote
Pix of house not loading...
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#26]
This my current set up, I run a two generator plan for fuel efficiency and it works really well for running the panel when some big loads can be eliminated in the evening and overnight hours and still allows for the well pump to start. I bought the Champion 4K unit a few years back that has a 240V Nema L14 plug to hook into the 30 amp generator supply inlet to the panel and added the 9k unit this year.

I'm considering taking it one step further and buying the Champion inverter 3500 watt duel fuel unit, it has a 120V 30 amp RV output that would allow adding an RV 30 amp power inlet box on an outside wall that supplies a double box with dual outlets on the inside wall totally separated from the panel. I could run the basics and a wall AC this way with drop cords and be way out in front with fuel consumption over longer periods of time versus the old school 6.5hp 4K unit.

This is how I keep them fueled, I run gasoline as my primary fuel source and keep several 100 pound cylinders of propane in reserve for real emergency use.

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I am curious to see how much fuel you burn per hour once you get it all worked out. I have a much larger mil surp diesel gen and at full load it is rated to burn about a gallon of diesel an hour. I keep about 100 hours of fuel on hand. I have never had to use it for extended periods. Mostly just run it on the load bank for a few hours. Do you find you are running it 24/7 or just 8-10 hours a day?

It would also be interesting to see how much fuel you go through per hour on propane vs gasoline since obviously gasoline has more energy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OK, had the first issue.

Running the dryer is plenty doable, but something else kicked on the same time (wasn't the water heater, that circuit was off) and while the generator tried, she died after about 5-8 seconds of trying. Didn't blow the breaker, it killed the engine. Perhaps a fridge or a couple freezers kicked in the same time as the well pump? I have no way of knowing at this point.

Thoughts on that:
I don't know what kicked in. Probably the well pump is my guess, but I have no idea.
Since it ALMOST was able to do it, had I been running on gasoline (give more power), she may have been doable. Since I don't know what kicked in, I can't recreate it while on gasoline.

Operational notes: when drying clothes, turn off all circuits to pumps/compressors. Lights/internet/TV staying on are fine.
View Quote
well pumps suck power (especially deep well), far more than compressors and the small fans in refrig/freezers in most cases.  starting them has the normal inductive load, but as you can imaging, water is heavy and lifting that is serious work.  I'd bet that, though multiple compressors would do it in the lower output mode of LP operation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Pix of house not loading...
View Quote
See my thread in homestead farm and garden section

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Switched to the little Briggs generator for the evening.

The little adapter I have to power both legs is working nicely.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Got through the night just fine.

The little briggs ran all the fridges, freezers, well pump (if it ever kicked in I don't know), lights, etc.

It was only hooked up to a 30 pound tank, used about 3/4th of it. That was about 11-12 hours of running.

Once I switch to the next 100 pound tank on the 9k unit, I'll write down the hours on the big generator so I can calculate fuel usage/hour. I kind of forgot to do that when I started . The big generator WILL run out the first 100 pound tank today, probably around mid day. There isn't much left in there..
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am curious to see how much fuel you burn per hour once you get it all worked out. I have a much larger mil surp diesel gen and at full load it is rated to burn about a gallon of diesel an hour. I keep about 100 hours of fuel on hand. I have never had to use it for extended periods. Mostly just run it on the load bank for a few hours. Do you find you are running it 24/7 or just 8-10 hours a day?

It would also be interesting to see how much fuel you go through per hour on propane vs gasoline since obviously gasoline has more energy.
View Quote
Forgot to answer your questions, sorry.

We run generators pretty much 24/7. We did shut them down yesterday evening for about 4 hours when we did a run to Menards to pick out and buy carpet and electrical stuff. We have a 3 year old son with sensory disorder, so he needs his fans all night to sleep, which are a milkhouse heater on fan mode and a window A/C on fan mode simultaniously. Most other types of fans vibrate the floor (and thus his bed) too much and wake him up.

Not sure I will do any runs on gasoline. I can refill my propane bottles for wholesale cost (about 40 cents per gallon) VS $3 per gallon for 91 octane gasoline, so I'd rather not spend the money. Actually, I can't run gasoline in the briggs unless I take the propane snorkel out. The 9k Champion runs fine on gasoline if I happen to run out.

I'm liking that little adapter so much, I may use it with my little 2 stroke HF model (with a proper adapter), using it to JUST run the fans and a few lights in the middle of the night, turning off all other breakers. Probably won't do this with the old house as it is wired like a Christmas tree, but I may run a special outlet in the bedroom for the new house that has its own breaker just for this purpose. 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Just swapped the 100 pound cylinder.

Generator has 165 hours on it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#34]
This could be an issue...Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I could take it apart put in paracord or just make the Rope shorter but quite frankly I'm too tired today. I just keep running the champion till I fix the smaller Briggs & Stratton generator
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I could take it apart put in paracord or just make the Rope shorter but quite frankly I'm too tired today. I just keep running the champion till I fix the smaller Briggs & Stratton generator
View Quote
Can't say for sure about the recoil assembly on the Briggs engine, but if that happens on any Champion generator product all you have to do is pop off the recoil housing to expose the hub attached to the flywheel and wrap a rope around it and pull to start it in emergency's.

I'd be willing to bet the Briggs has a similar feature, there's two slots on the Champion to tie a knot in a rope and secure it to wrap it around.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#37]
On fuel usage, by tomorrow morning, I will have used 2)100 pound cylinders and almost a full 30 pound cylinder.

We have been down since Tuesday morning, about 110 hours of generator time, most of it on the larger 9k champion.

We are not doing anything to limit fuel usage other than last night and tonight running the smaller 3.5k generator and shut it all down when we go to town, about 8 hours total. Using the dishwasher, all freezers, electric oven and dryer. Can't get the water heater to work, the fault of the interrupter switch not letting it run.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Doing the math, we are burning about 10.5 gallons per 24 hours, on average.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Because I get my propane bottles filled at wholesale, it costs me about $5.60/day to produce electricity based on the last 5 days.

That's cheap actually...
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#40]
A small 3100/3000 inverter generator with a 30 RV plug, and jump L1&L2 to power all 120V loads. Just turn off 240V breakers. Did that for years with my Honda EU3000IS. Very good on Fuel and very quiet. You can have extended runs with low fuel consumption if your managing loads.

Also 4-5 hand trucks and 4-5 100# bottles makes you have a long run time and transportable. Also a manifold with a common feed and valves to each tank. Did you not say a large tank was not an option?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I think I'm going to be going involuntarily "off grid" in the next 48 hours or so, maybe I should say that the grid is going off grid thanks to Irma.  Predictions are 50% of FL will be without power when she leaves, local co-op saying one week minimum outage for planning purposes, state capital of Tallahassee had outages of 18 days after a minimal CAT 1 storm last year. Lots and lots of trees on west coast and panhandle portion of FL.

I have a portable 23k surge17,5k constant 33hp genset running via a 250 gallon bulk tank that was topped off Friday afternoon.  250 bulk tank holds about 200 gallons so will be interesting to see fuel usage, I converted it to propane as storing that much gas was a pain and no issues with gunked up carbs/stale fuel.  

I've run the whole house for half day here and there we'll see how it goes...
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A small 3100/3000 inverter generator with a 30 RV plug, and jump L1&L2 to power all 120V loads. Just turn off 240V breakers. Did that for years with my Honda EU3000IS. Very good on Fuel and very quiet. You can have extended runs with low fuel consumption if your managing loads.

Also 4-5 hand trucks and 4-5 100# bottles makes you have a long run time and transportable. Also a manifold with a common feed and valves to each tank. Did you not say a large tank was not an option?
View Quote
At least now, no large tank as an option. I may run as propane line to my generator pad when I run lines for the new house, but I pay full retail delivered price for having a big tank filled vs bulk wholesale price on transportable bottles.

Could build a manifold I suppose, would eliminate running out in the night and minimize moving the hose.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to be going involuntarily "off grid" in the next 48 hours or so, maybe I should say that the grid is going off grid thanks to Irma.  Predictions are 50% of FL will be without power when she leaves, local co-op saying one week minimum outage for planning purposes, state capital of Tallahassee had outages of 18 days after a minimal CAT 1 storm last year. Lots and lots of trees on west coast and panhandle portion of FL.

I have a portable 23k surge17,5k constant 33hp genset running via a 250 gallon bulk tank that was topped off Friday afternoon.  250 bulk tank holds about 200 gallons so will be interesting to see fuel usage, I converted it to propane as storing that much gas was a pain and no issues with gunked up carbs/stale fuel.  

I've run the whole house for half day here and there we'll see how it goes...
View Quote
Oofta, she will suck fuel. Letting that run nonstop, bet you burn 20+ gallons per day. I would certainly ration running that beast, at least until you have a solid resupply line for propane.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Comparing to a similar sized pad mount genset fuel chart shows 4 gal/hour at 100% rated power, 2 gal/hour at 50% which is probably pretty close to my genset.

Not a 24 hour thing for storm of this size for sure but will keep the fridges/freezer cold and well pump running as needed and I can cool the house down as needed to be bearable, will be running a smaller genset at my office but no AC use there, its 3 phase so lights/computers and fans, will be miserable but functional.

Last CAT 1 storm I was only out about 12 hours... average was 3 days because our co-op is aggressive with right of way clearing.  

My propane supplier has lots of large ag accounts so they should be able to resupply pretty quickly after storm clears if I need it.  Propane gensets are few and far between here so not a lot of demand, folks on regular gas will be hurting as its all been used up by the evacuees and most people have 1 or 2 5 gallon cans at most.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Older water heaters will work, though not as efficiently as on 220vac, on 110vac.

Give yours some time and you might find that you will get hot water but much slower.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#46]
So apparently when I'm running the dryer and the well kicks in and a refrigerator or two kicks in it's too much for the big generator on propane and kills it. I started it back up on gasoline and it's able to power through.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Well Irma paid us a visit last night/this morning lost power at about 2am already asleep with some 12 volt backup for needed items so fire up the generator.  It was all hooked up with nothing to do but turn the supply valve and hit start.  

Lots of trees down and powerlines pulled down, ran it 12 hours running submersible pump, 2 refrigerators, 1 chest freezer, water heater etc.  no real attempt to manage load as I knew it would handle it from prior experience.  

I started out with a full 250 gal bulk tank (80%= 200 gal of LP) topped off Friday, when I shut the generator down it read about 72% so a little less than 20 gallons over 12 hours of probably 60-75% load.  Hard to be more specific without them topping it off again to see actual use and then subtracting gas grill use over the weekend.  

Generator ran flawlessly, I put a small valve and vent on the supply line fitting near the regulator on the genset to purge air from the rubber supply hose I use,  sure made cranking easier.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#48]
By a long shot, the largest load is the electric clothes dryer. I'm thinking that "low" heat and "high" heat settings draw the same amps, just different duration. I have to unplug the well/freezers to run on gasoline, and pretty much everything but a couple lights to run on propane. The dryer is taking all of the 30 amps the generator can produce...

This morning, I had the dryer running and the generator on gasoline for a little extra power. While the dryer was running, I switched on the well/freezers. Started to kill, didn't have the surge capacity to handle it all. That won't work.

Inspector will be out in a few hours, so this experience either comes to an end tonight/tomorrow morning or it goes until Thursday/Friday if I need to "fix" something I did.

Estimated usage thus far:
2x 100 pound cylinders
2x 30 pound cylinders
about 8 gallons of gas (one stretch was about 5 hours on gasoline)
I'm down about 1/2 of another 100 pound cylinder at this time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh, I do have the generator running on the regular interlock now. Its nice... Will now be able to power the entire property from the pole 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, what the inspector and I talked about a week ago about a temporary solution ended up not being OK. Since he can't be sure the service will be changed later, it all has to be upgraded. 

This means a new run of wire from the new service to the old house, or just adding a neutral (the neutral is connected kind of funky on to of the pole) and leaving overhead wires. I don't want overhead wires..

It also means a new panel in the old house. Was planning on that anyway, but now its a here and now thing.

If I haul ass, I MAY, and I mean MAY be able to get it all done tonight/tomorrow, but I highly doubt it.

I guess we see what 2 weeks on generator time is like!

I will be rewiring the old panel IMMEDIATELY to give the Mrs hot water in the house...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top