Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Management pays for:
Weapons
Training
Ammo
All CCW licensing
for employees he deems intelligent enough not to shoot management.
Office is a maze and has cameras on entrees and lobbies.

Management

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Management pays for:
Weapons
Training
Ammo
All CCW licensing

Management

View Quote

You should install trap doors and cages that release bears when you hit an emergency button.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
So when 2-4 terrorists enter your offices armed with rifles, explosives and wearing rifle plates are you going to worry about job policies and rules??  

My employer (currently) does not allow guns, but it's not against the law to carry at my office.  I love my job but I can easily find another one.  I'd much rather have at least a fighting chance against these assholes!  My life and my family come first!  Now it hasn't happened in the years I've been there but if, for some reason, they find out I've got multiple guns on/with me and it gets their dander up, fine, I'll answer for it or leave.  

My concern now is figuring out their tactics, gear, and how best to kill them should they pop up.  My office sits the floor directly above where the prime spot would be for an attack...the cafeteria and a huge lobby/lounge.  So being able to respond quickly and effectively is what I'd like to be able to do.  Again, they don't stop until they are dead so sitting tight and hoping for the best is no longer the way to go in my opinion.

Let's assume you know you'll be faced with an attack at your job tomorrow...what are you putting in your bag/brief case/etc. to put up the best fight?  Now's the time to put it there.  

Up until this point it's been my LCP in my pocket and G19 in my bag.  I think adding a G26 to the mix is an improvement but ultimately something that can pierce through plates would be preferable.  Maybe a Draco with AP ammo?  

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You should install trap doors and cages that release bears when you hit an emergency button.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Management pays for:
Weapons
Training
Ammo
All CCW licensing

Management

I would be afraid the bears would distract the lions.......
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
after the Columbine tragedy I was the gun person on my school's committee to re evaluate our emergency management plan...some of which might be of help if you have a multiple room facility...

school wide recommendations that were implemented

increase the amount of trauma supplies oriented to gunshot wounds....compression bandages and petroleum gauze for thoracic wounds.... and stored in multiple locations... we had a full time RN in the building
lock boxes on the exterior of the building were installed with master keys and floor diagrams
improved discrete communication with the front office in case a teacher suspected a student in possession of weapon (IM if you are an educator)
addition of more portable radios, especially for building evacuations
my recommendation of a portable handset for our classroom phones was not approved... Siemens had a model that would allow each teacher to have access to a handset with 1/2 mile advertised range and "all call" capability... which would be especially useful for long term building evacuations
blackout screens for the wire reinforced windows on our exterior doors
video of hallway and classroom locations from each exterior door .... supplied to the local PD and SO for their training... we were in the city but school resource officer was SO

for my classroom

I cut two sets of door wedges for all of the interior doors... stored in a dedicated location with a hammer
for the exterior doors, a 2x2 that would extend across the door frame, and attach to the door handle with 550 cord loops to secure it
chem lights, high intensity 6P SureFire...couple of Israeli dressings and petroleum gauze....

View Quote

I liked the idea of a fire extinguisher in each room + heavy objects for students to throw
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Jestertoo... I had 10 sets of slotted brass mass weights and 10 regular sets... a meter stick driven in the slot of a 500g( 1.1#) brass cylinder thrown with the added leverage of a meter stick x 10 plus 10 hand thrown simultaneously  would I hoped be disorienting enough to overpower the shooter... the dry chemical extinguisher was for the final rush...
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
EMT1581... I think I would look at improving my hit quality, especcially at longer ranges.. with upgraded sights to the pistols, and possibly longer barreled pistols ... something like an RMR or Fastfire.... ultimately an AR style pistol that could be shouldered... one of the KAK buffer tubes for the Sig brace with or without the Sig brace puts my nose to charging handle... without the brace there is no "re purposing" of the firearm...

I would add pelvic girdle area and head shots to my practice routine
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So when 2-4 terrorists enter your offices armed with rifles, explosives and wearing rifle plates are you going to worry about job policies and rules??  

My employer (currently) does not allow guns, but it's not against the law to carry at my office.  I love my job but I can easily find another one.  I'd much rather have at least a fighting chance against these assholes!  My life and my family come first!  Now it hasn't happened in the years I've been there but if, for some reason, they find out I've got multiple guns on/with me and it gets their dander up, fine, I'll answer for it or leave.  

My concern now is figuring out their tactics, gear, and how best to kill them should they pop up.  My office sits the floor directly above where the prime spot would be for an attack...the cafeteria and a huge lobby/lounge.  So being able to respond quickly and effectively is what I'd like to be able to do.  Again, they don't stop until they are dead so sitting tight and hoping for the best is no longer the way to go in my opinion.

Let's assume you know you'll be faced with an attack at your job tomorrow...what are you putting in your bag/brief case/etc. to put up the best fight?  Now's the time to put it there.  

Up until this point it's been my LCP in my pocket and G19 in my bag.  I think adding a G26 to the mix is an improvement but ultimately something that can pierce through plates would be preferable.  Maybe a Draco with AP ammo?  

-Emt1581

View Quote

In TX,  an employee handbook or other verbal form of no-firearms becomes implied notice of trespassing and can be arrested. Yeah, usually you are fired/walked, but they can press charges.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In TX,  an employee handbook or other verbal form of no-firearms becomes implied notice of trespassing and can be arrested. Yeah, usually you are fired/walked, but they can press charges.
View Quote

Kinda sounds similar to PA.  Guns really have nothing to do with it.  It's more about the owner of the property just not wanting you to be there.  I don't want you here because you look funny, you offended me....you have a gun...doesn't really matter.  They ask you to leave.  Failure to do so is defiant trespass (misdemeanor), you come back after the fact (maybe with some sort of criminal intent)...now it's criminal trespass.  

Knowing this, my position still doesn't change.  I'm going to do whatever I have to do to give me the greatest chance of survival and/or killing the enemy.  Concealed weapons are the best compromise.  Allows me to put up a fight but doesn't ruffle any feathers until they are implemented.  Nice thing about a subcompact/compact Glock is they can literally be hidden until a second or two before the trigger is pulled.  So if what sounds like gunfire turns out to be a jackass with firecrackers or a cart full of chairs toppling over....no harm done, just walk back to the office and carry on.  If it's the real deal, try to find cover, draw, take aim and start shooting.  

Again, rules can't be the barrier to preparing.  And if laws are...your choice where you continue to follow them and/or live where you do.

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Have you done this test yourself?  

If your company/office says no pepper spray etc. then are you going to spray them with your drinking water bottle?
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If your company/office says no pepper spray etc. then are you going to spray them with your drinking water bottle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would choose bear spray.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
single ar500 plate in laptop bag.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have time,  wire stretched across the doorway --several passes.

Wet the floor. Throw water on perp when he comes in.

This will scare him to go away and leave you alone.

Maybe...  
View Quote

So... would a super soaker be even better!        
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Let's assume you know you'll be faced with an attack at your job tomorrow
...what are you putting in your bag/brief case/etc. to put up the best fight?  Now's the time to put it there.

View Quote
I stay home .

Since terrorists use rifles, soft armor is worthless. Hard plate in briefcase/backpack was already mentioned, and a good idea.

Pistol and a reload, and the element of surprise is all you've realistically got.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#15]
as a former classroom teacher, I was prohibited by law from carrying, and had to use other options... for the early part of my career, a Surefire 6P with incandescent bulb was my choice for visual distraction... today there are better options with an upgraded LED module....a light with an XM L2 emitter (or better) and a deep smooth reflector would be my choice today... the M3 head on the Solarforce is a flame thrower, and truncheon

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Anyone have gear specifically devoted to their office in case of an active shooter?  What is it?  

If responding, please also share the type of office/setting you work in as different settings might help explain different setups.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

I just found this thread.

My wife works for the University of California as an administrator and guest lecturer.  When she was working on her PhD and teaching, I put together an "Active Shooter Bag" for her to take with her from her office to her classroom.  I started by going to her work and doing an assessment of the administrative office, starting with the building perimeter, the floor that her office is on, and he specific office.  Things I looked for were building access (open to public or secured by key or key card), type of locking device for doors (push bar, door handle, door closer), and durability of door in the building.  I then did the same thing for her classroom.  Based on that, I put together a kit that could be used to protect or slow down an active shooter in her buildings.

I started with a black military mechanics bag:

Added cheap, heavy duty gardening gloves:

A hand held glass cutter:

Some flex cuff from work along with wire cutters:

Some nylon straps:

And some door wedges:

I also added a small LED flashlight, large marker, orange towel.

The plan is that in the event of an active shooter, she can lock down her officer or classroom.  I made the kit small enough that she can take it anywhere and usually just keeps it in the bottom of her file dolly.  

There are several different door locking mechanisms used in the building, so I included straps for the door closers:

Flexcuffs for the push doors

Door jams for doors that face inward.  I also got the glass cutter and gloves so that she can get her class out of the room instead of sheltering in place in the event that she can hear the gunshots inside the building or getting closer.  I bought extra large gloves and told her to find the biggest guy in the room, have him etch/cut the glass, and use a chair or other tool to smash the window.  He can use the gloves to clear broken glass and hopefully get people out of the room.

I've shown her how to use the stuff in the bag and gone over what she should do in the event of a shooting.  I think just having a plan is half the battle.

I hope this helps.  I have added/changed the contents of the kit over the past 4-5 years.  Hopefully she never has to use it and I hope this gives you some ideas.

John

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have time,  wire stretched across the doorway --several passes.

Wet the floor. Throw water on perp when he comes in.

This will scare him to go away and leave you alone.

Maybe...  

Better yet -hooked to a furnace transformer with salty water...

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I stay home .  

Since terrorists use rifles, soft armor is worthless. Hard plate in briefcase/backpack was already mentioned, and a good idea.

Pistol and a reload, and the element of surprise is all you've realistically got.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's assume you know you'll be faced with an attack at your job tomorrow
...what are you putting in your bag/brief case/etc. to put up the best fight?  Now's the time to put it there.
I stay home .  

No you have excluded ---

Creativity

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My wife works for the University of California as an administrator and guest lecturer.  When she was working on her PhD and teaching, I put together an "Active Shooter Bag" for her to take with her from her office to her classroom.  I started by going to her work and doing an assessment of the administrative office, starting with the building perimeter, the floor that her office is on, and he specific office.  Things I looked for were building access (open to public or secured by key or key card), type of locking device for doors (push bar, door handle, door closer), and durability of door in the building.  I then did the same thing for her classroom.  Based on that, I put together a kit that could be used to protect or slow down an active shooter in her buildings.

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/prodimages/large/fo-40-61.jpg

https://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/images/products/large/Gardening-Gloves.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-c4lT-gZKqdg/UJta52tQNMI/AAAAAAAAAOc/7UeCmhC-mHc/s1600/glass_cutter.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312AhsmRImL._SY300_.jpg

Some nylon straps:

http://tracgear.com/product/rc4wd/custom/lockStraps/g1/1.jpg

And some door wedges:

http://www.bigcountrysupply.com/images/products/detail/ChockIt_DoorStop_1005.png

The plan is that in the event of an active shooter, she can lock down her officer or classroom.  I made the kit small enough that she can take it anywhere and usually just keeps it in the bottom of her file dolly.  

There are several different door locking mechanisms used in the building, so I included straps for the door closers:

http://static.hardwarestore.com/media/product/610205_front500.jpg

http://www.doorstuff.co.uk/images/panichardware/briton/briton-376-8-2-point-double-door-push-bar.jpg

Door jams for doors that face inward.  I also got the glass cutter and gloves so that she can get her class out of the room instead of sheltering in place in the event that she can hear the gunshots inside the building or getting closer.  I bought extra large gloves and told her to find the biggest guy in the room, have him etch/cut the glass, and use a chair or other tool to smash the window.  He can use the gloves to clear broken glass and hopefully get people out of the room.

I've shown her how to use the stuff in the bag and gone over what she should do in the event of a shooting.  I think just having a plan is half the battle.

I hope this helps.  I have added/changed the contents of the kit over the past 4-5 years.  Hopefully she never has to use it and I hope this gives you some ideas.

John

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone have gear specifically devoted to their office in case of an active shooter?  What is it?  

If responding, please also share the type of office/setting you work in as different settings might help explain different setups.

Thanks

-Emt1581

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/prodimages/large/fo-40-61.jpg

https://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/images/products/large/Gardening-Gloves.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-c4lT-gZKqdg/UJta52tQNMI/AAAAAAAAAOc/7UeCmhC-mHc/s1600/glass_cutter.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312AhsmRImL._SY300_.jpg

Some nylon straps:

http://tracgear.com/product/rc4wd/custom/lockStraps/g1/1.jpg

And some door wedges:

http://www.bigcountrysupply.com/images/products/detail/ChockIt_DoorStop_1005.png

http://static.hardwarestore.com/media/product/610205_front500.jpg

http://www.doorstuff.co.uk/images/panichardware/briton/briton-376-8-2-point-double-door-push-bar.jpg

John

This is very well thought out. Good ideas.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#20]
For the workplace...

rifles, sidearm, armor, and other gear.

But if instead I worked at something like a hospital... I'd invent a taint holster if I had to.

ETA: But my sister does work in a hospital... hmmmm. Might have to look a lot closer at the flexcuffs and wirecutter idea.

Something to note... the Virginia Tech shooter chained the doors. Might be worth hiding a pair of bolt cutters somewhere if possible.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's a pix of the decent system...

Parts, pieces, and entire packages are often on ebay cheap.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top