Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2014 4:55:11 AM EDT
Looking to start storing some more water other than just bottled water from the store.  Are these any good?  
SKILCRAFT water can

If not those, what would you guys suggest?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen those around.

I don't remember them being as much as $25 but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got 10 of those LCI cans. They are the best in my opinion. The only downside is price
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#5]
i own a bunch and they seem fine.

they have gone up a bit in price but i think they are still low enough for what they do for me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The MWC are great.  I've also had good luck with the blue sceptre cans (ordered mine through pepboys).  I also like the 55 gal drums (augason farms?) through Sams, but I recently found out that you really need to plan out how to use the drums as they are heavy.  After struggling with various cheap pumps and siphons I finally gave up and got an electric pump at Lowes for $87 that drains a drum in about 20 minutes.  I rotate stored water about once a year.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't remember what I paid, was too long ago. But I think they used to give free shipping on them if you bought 3-4 back then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen those around.

I don't remember what I paid, was too long ago. But I think they used to give free shipping on them if you bought 3-4 back then.

That's when I got mine as well. They were about $15 or $16 each and free shipping over $50. I remember I had to as some other small thing like a rite in the rain notebook to get to the $50 free shipping
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#8]
They were a bargain at $16.  I got eight at that price.  If I needed more MWCs right now, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $25 for them.  LCI should also have spare/replacement caps for them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#9]
From LCI they were $25 each and free shipping at $99 when I ordered . They are the same as a fuel jug according to a previous thread on the subject
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#10]
This is what I did as well.  They are very durable.  One of mine survived a drop from my pickup, while pulling out of a turnout.

Quoted:

That's when I got mine as well. They were about $15 or $16 each and free shipping over $50. I remember I had to as some other small thing like a rite in the rain notebook to get to the $50 free shipping
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen those around.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
From LCI they were $25 each and free shipping at $99 when I ordered . They are the same as a fuel jug according to a previous thread on the subject
View Quote

I have both the LCI MWC's and real MFC's. They are NOT the same, not even close. MFC is much thicker material, has a built in vent for the pour spout, and has different handles.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]

You do realize that LCI received a military contract for x amount of water 'cans don't you? They are in fact manufactured to USGI spec's...

I wouldn't hesitate in purchaseing the LCI containers OP. A little on the pricey side yes, but they'll last you a lifetime.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there a reason you don't just buy and store the 5 gallon drinkng water refills from the grocery store? There's low chance of algae if stored indoors. I can understand having a few of the posted water containers for travel etc, but using them as primary storage seems unnecessarily expensive.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They were a bargain at $16.  I got eight at that price.  If I needed more MWCs right now, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $25 for them.  LCI should also have spare/replacement caps for them.
View Quote

They sell spare caps on the site i linked for $5.99, I think.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I pretended to order 2 each total $51 and change.

I qualified for free shipping,

I have several they work good
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered six last week. Free shipping. I have never ordered from them before, I don't know what to expect but I haven't seen any shipping notices yet.

How do you guys clean these out before you store water in them?

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is there a reason you don't just buy and store the 5 gallon drinkng water refills from the grocery store? There's low chance of algae if stored indoors. I can understand having a few of the posted water containers for travel etc, but using them as primary storage seems unnecessarily expensive.
View Quote

That's a good idea!

The caps on them are not sealed well though.

You can take a 2" plumbing test plug [the red ones with wing nut from HD] make a slight mod to it and they work great to seal the jugs.

Also, look for triangle 1 -not triangle 7, jugs. The triangle 1 is Mylar/PET. Triangle 7 is recycled pampers, medicine bottles, plastic scrap, auto salvage plastic, fly swatters, plastic syringes, etc... The same stuff drink bottles are made from.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Money well spent.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome water cans.  Period.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, Great cans for storage.

I'd looked at something to make them more useful to actually use, but haven't bought anything yet.

ETA: To pour from, wash hands, etc. That's a place the Aquatainer has them beat. But Aquatainers are fragile.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
throw one in the back of your truck or try and carry 4 at a time, and then get back to us .

They are not just for storage, they are for transport/camping/the beach/bol/heavy use.

They work for all of the above, not just sitting in the corner.

BTW they work extremely well for bulk food storage. I have 7 that I keep bulk sugar/pasta/flour/rice/legumes to refill the smaller gallon everyday use containers.

buy a bag of rice, pour into mwc=airtight bug proof storage that will never break.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Great cans! You only have to buy them once, unlike the El Cheapos
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah, Great cans for storage.
I'd looked at something to make them more useful to actually use, but haven't bought anything yet.
ETA: To pour from, wash hands, etc. That's a place the Aquatainer has them beat. But Aquatainers are fragile.
View Quote

I can't find it now, but there's been a topic here several years ago showing how a person installed an RV spout of some kind on an MWC cap.

There's some premade spouts and other useful stuff at JAGMTE
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Throw one in the back of your truck or try and carry 4 at a time, and then get back to us.

They are not just for storage, they are for transport/camping/the beach/bol/heavy use.

BTW they work extremely well for bulk food storage. I have 7 that I keep bulk sugar/pasta/flour/rice/legumes to refill the smaller gallon everyday use containers.

buy a bag of rice, pour into mwc=airtight bug proof storage that will never break.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw one in the back of your truck or try and carry 4 at a time, and then get back to us.

This.  People who have never used a MWC just don't appreciate the toughness and robustness of the design.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I ordered six last week. Free shipping. I have never ordered from them before, I don't know what to expect but I haven't seen any shipping notices yet.

How do you guys clean these out before you store water in them?

View Quote

Mine showed up packed 2 to a box a couple of days apart , packed by color . I don't remember if I got a ship notice . They were fairly quick about shipping
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#27]
The shipping is on the account you made at buyLCI.com...I'm never got a shipping notice.  I ordered one of each color, and they shipped from different places.  I got one on Friday, and the other should be here today.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine showed up all together. 2 boxes of 3. Hopefully I'll get home early enough tomorrow to scrub them out and fill them up
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought 15 of them years about 8 years ago. A FEDEX freight semi showed up at my house with a pallet of cans. The guy asked if I wanted the pallet. I told him to keep it. The cans were all nice. I need some more now. I will mostly likely buy 10 or so more.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I could use about 10 more myself.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn, now I regret not buying them from the LCI store on Ft. Drum when I could have for the cheap price.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Awesome water cans.  Period.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Dammittt!  I just bought one of these on eGay for 40 bux plus 9 shipping!  Looks like I'm picking up some more.  Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Is there a reason not to store water in the 4-5 gallon water cooler bottles? You can get them nowadays for $5 - $10 or so full and I suspect that they see a lot of abuse. I understand there are tasks that require a smaller lighter bottle but the concept of storing a handful of $25 bottles vs 5 times as much water in factory sealed containers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top