Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2012 5:10:05 PM EDT

the only thing that matters is that my wife likes it!  

Sandy resulted in a windfall of firewood, and i decided to build a rack for at least a portion of the proceeds.
i may build another just like it -- as it's simple and so far so good.  the terrain where is sitting is not optimal,
hence the cap blocks for leveling.  material is PT 2x6 (GC-rated) and deck slats.  there are some shingles
and tar paper between the 2x6's and the cap blocks, to prevent moisture from wicking up into the wood.

ETA
you should consider the end-product weight before building such a monstrosity in your garage.  it will be
more practical to build-in-place so you don't have to call two friends, plus your brother-in-law, and get the
tractor out in order to move it about 100 yards...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you post a hires pic of #5?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

the rule is "you have to post a pic" not "you have to post a hi-res pic".  did i miss a rule change?  

ar-jedi

eta:
here is the best i will do for you:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/423124_.html
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Am I gay because I clicked this thread?

Am I gay because I'm jealous of your wood?  

Nice work!
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
like I said in a prior thread.............you have entirely to much spare time.......

nice wood rack by the way....
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]
hey there is nothing wrong with a nice rack to get your wood off the ground...

all word play aside looks nice. wish i had the space...
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
That is overkill at its finest! Looks like a section of the Ark.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you worried about the wood in the frame rotting at the same rate or faster than the wood stored on it? That's be my only concern.

Otherwise, looks good but overkill.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Structurally that is going to put some serious stresses on those flared ends. I'd reinforce them a bit more, maybe some more bones to the frame, especially on the load-bearing ends.

Perhaps your wife could assist you in boning up your erection a bit? Never hurts to have an extra hand on a project like that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Great rack! Nice wood!

In before Jimmeh?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are you worried about the wood in the frame rotting at the same rate or faster than the wood stored on it? That's be my only concern.

it's ground-contact rated pressure treated lumber(*).  it's not actually in contact with the ground, and is buffered from any moisture in the cap blocks. so things should be good for at least 10 or 15 years.

ar-jedi

(*) it's F'in heavy when it's new!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Structurally that is going to put some serious stresses on those flared ends. I'd reinforce them a bit more, maybe some more bones to the frame, especially on the load-bearing ends.

i did do some stacking tonight (though it was too dark to take pics when i faded), and actually the "side loading" on the uprights is not nearly as bad as i imagined it could be.  i have a lot more stacking to go -- the top course will probably be above my head level -- so the outward (spreading) pressure will increase but based on what is going on with the firewood halfway up i can't see a problem down the road.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great rack! Nice wood!

my wife and i accept your compliments.  
Quoted:
In before Jimmeh?

i hope you are not referring to Mr Hendrix's unceremonious discharge from the army...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Pics of wife not loading.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

i disagree.  scroll up.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i disagree.  scroll up.

ar-jedi

I see what you did there. I am viewing from my phone so the pictures are ultra small.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]
How long do you think it'll last?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]
'
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great rack! Nice wood!

my wife and i accept your compliments.  
Quoted:
In before Jimmeh?

i hope you are not referring to Mr Hendrix's unceremonious discharge from the army...

ar-jedi

Lol! Jimmeh is an arfcommer that related a fascinating tale of his significant other's TSA patdown. A significant other that had, ahem, "the best of both worlds", Thai ladyboy style. The female TSO didn't expect what she inadvertently put her hand on.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the rule is "you have to post a pic" not "you have to post a hi-res pic".  did i miss a rule change?  

ar-jedi

eta:
here is the best i will do for you:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/423124_.html

Your jedi mind trick must be good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i did do some stacking tonight (though it was too dark to take pics when i faded), and actually the "side loading" on the uprights is not nearly as bad as i imagined it could be.  i have a lot more stacking to go -- the top course will probably be above my head level -- so the outward (spreading) pressure will increase but based on what is going on with the firewood halfway up i can't see a problem down the road.

ar-jedi

If it does become a problem, a couple of stringers run between the top corners of the uprights would keep them from pulling away from each other.  Could even use aircraft cable or something.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:05:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Should have used marine grade/ treated lumber.  That's going to rot, especiallly when the logs right above it start rotting.  Those logs never get used and get moist and fungus covered.  Not to mention termites.

ETA;  didnt see the PT, part.  
Looks good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:09:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:26:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks good but why the flared ends?  Seems like you'd get more wood on the same foot print if the ends were vertical.  Understand that vertical ends wouldn't have the same support but cables from each top corner would aleviate that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#24]
In before this thread goes down hill.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:57:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In before this thread goes limp.

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My erection is considerably longer than yours but it probably won't last as long.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/firewood2010/IMG_0203.jpg

wow.  the last time i saw that much wood was on a VHS tape.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 4:11:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looks good but why the flared ends?  Seems like you'd get more wood on the same foot print if the ends were vertical.

once i got "El Monstrosity" positioned i got the idea to remove the angled braces that i installed initially to prevent any racking during transport.  with the angled slats out, i can then "deck" the areas at the two ends of the rack --  effectively making a pair of areas (admittedly somewhat vertically constrained) to put more wood.   i think the end areas will be good for kindling and other small pieces of firewood.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#28]
needs moar beaver sitting on top

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks good but.....

Whatever happened to freestacking?
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Sorry Jedi, but my wife has a MUCH better rack than that- it has a nice tin roof to keep those big rounds dry!
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My erection is considerably longer than yours but it probably won't last as long.

Oh, My, sailor. It certainly is!!!  
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is how I do it... free pallets plus fence-posts at the ends.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Am I gay because I clicked this thread?

Am I gay because I'm jealous of your wood?  

Nice work!

Just remembered a clean cajun joke:

Boudreaux and Thibodeaux ran into each other the other day, and Thibodeaux remarked, "Boudreaux, where you been ? I ain't seen you in months." Boudreaux told him, "Mais, I been at college gettin' me some educate." Thib says, "Aw, dat's nice. What you learned in college ?" Boudreaux tells him, "I been studying sumting called 'Logic'."
Naturally, Thibodeaux asks, "Mais, what dat is, dat 'Logic' ?" So Boudreaux says, "Well, it's easier for me to gives you an example, den to try to explain it. Do you have a dog ?" Thib tells him, "Mais, yeh, you knows I got old Blue." Boud goes on, "And if you gots a dog, dat means you mus' have a yard to keep dat dog in." Thib says, "Yeh." Boud says, "And if you gots a yard, you mus' have a fence around dat yard to keep old Blue in." Thib says, "Yeh." Boud says, "And if you gots a yard and a fence, den you mus' have a house, too." Thib says, "Yeh." "And if you gots a yard and a house, you mus' be married." Thib tells him, "Mais Boudreaux, you knows dat me and Clotile been married for thirty years." Boudreaux says, "Mais dat's 'Logic'."
Thibodeaux is all excited, now that he understands what "Logic' is, and the next day he runs into Hebert at the feed store. They get to talking and Hebert asks him about Boudreaux. Thib tells him, "You knows, I saw him yesterday, an' he told me he been at college studying "Logic'." Hebert asks, "What dat is, dat "Logic' ?" Thibodeaux says, "Well, let me gives you an example. Do you got a dog ?" Hebert says, "No, I don't gots no dog." Thibodeaux tells him, "Mais, den you mus' be gay !"

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Feral, I like the idea of using the pallets on end over T posts fro your ends.  I shall have to borrow that idea.  Thanks sir!

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sorry Jedi, but my wife has a MUCH better rack than that- it has a nice tin roof to keep those big rounds dry!

i'm going to put an old plastic tarp over the rack when i finally get it stacked (it's pouring right now and i have no ambition to stand in the cold rain and stack wood today).  i can't really put a "hard roof" of any sort up unless it's really pitched -- too much potential snow load.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#38]
You didn't build that.  (Somebody had to say it)

Now you just need to build a covered walkway from the house so you don't have to trudge through the snow to get to it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#39]
How has this thread went 2pgs with no reply from TRG, I figured he's be the first one in here with erection in the title
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#40]
I always put protection over my wood, before I use it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I always put protection over my wood, before I use it.
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo319/loghomedude/69c20bdb6b3bde869e0c4f3f6195092a.jpg

i bow to you, sir.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Looks to me like your erection is going to last more than four hours.  Job well done.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks to me like your erection is going to last more than four hours.  Job well done.

and it looks like it's going to be full of wood too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#44]

+

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Old age is hell isn't it!  

Good job OP.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just, um, pre-emptively before someone bitches that this thread should be in GD: The world needs a little humor today and the SF is no exception.

That's what makes the SF forum great, the mods actually have a sense of humor, and don't rule with a iron fist

**No mod ass kissing intended, hell they know me anyways**
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just, um, pre-emptively before someone bitches that this thread should be in GD: The world needs a little humor today and the SF is no exception.

That's what makes the SF forum great, the mods actually have a sense of humor, and don't rule with a iron fist

feral,
i think he saw your wood and wanted to strike up a conversation with you...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

feral,
i think he saw your wood and wanted to strike up a conversation with you...

ar-jedi

I know feral in real life, he makes my back hurt when he splits his wood
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top