Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2011 6:55:05 PM EDT
Can they be driven clutchless like one would drive a triaxle or a big rig?

Do they all have a PTO even if they dont have a winch?

Is there any highway speed increase over 10wheel , singles with 6 wheels and a bobbed deuce with 4 singles?
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can they be driven clutchless like one would drive a triaxle or a big rig?  Not easy they are made to be clutched

Do they all have a PTO even if they dont have a winch? yes

Is there any highway speed increase over 10wheel , singles with 6 wheels and a bobbed deuce with 4 singles? no if anything the 10 wheeled a2 is slightly faster but it is 1-4 mph

I have friends with both versions of A2 and my brother has an a3  the 6.50 gear limits you
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
steelsoldiers.com
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the fast response Whiskerz!

They driven double clutch? I havent double clutched a truck in over a decade lol

Anything left in them for increased performance while running diesel? Can they handle going up on the pump at all?  Is pump adjustment simple like on older macks or is it a nightmare? Dont have hopes for a rocket ship but 60-65 wouldnt suck too bad

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure about shifting clutchless or "floating."  The duce and 1/2s that I was appeared stiff, but the poge units that I was in may not have had the Mario Andretti of duce and 1/2 drivers either.  They do have a bit of a different shift pattern though.  I never got to drive one when I was active.  Later in another life I drove concrete trucks I floated the gears in the concrete trucks.  One of the concrete trucks had a shift pattern like the duce and 1/2.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive seen some funky shift patterns. Mack had a few weird ones for their "Mack transmissions" in the construction trucks from the 80s. Whats the pattern? Im guessing there isnt a split in each gear? IE low and high for each gear selection.

Whats its just shift the pattern then split down to 1 and repeat?

ETA I learned to drive HD trucks on a 79 mack with a 2 stick and used to split gears with it. So as long as there is a pretty picture it shouldnt be too bad.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Deuce and as far as I can tell, you cannot "float" shift it.

Not all of them have the PTO for the winch.  Mine has a winch and also has a front and a rear PTO for other attachments.

The 9.00x20 NDT tires keep the Deuce limited to about 56 mph.  It is my understanding that 11.00x20 will get you up into the early 60's.  Taller tires (you will need to replace the stock rims, most likely) can get you around 70 mph.

As another poster suggested, go to SteelSoldiers.com.  Lots of info there.  You have to register to post, but there are tons of threads with particulars about what you are asking.  Plenty of the members do not yet have MV's, but they have "the bug" like you do.

LC
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Its not really a bug up my ya know for one....But ofcourse I like them they are cool as can be!

It was more sitting in the race shop when someone ... Possibly me Said we should build a bobbed deuce! ..... Now its well if you want the thing you are the one going to pick it up lol
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its not really a bug up my ya know for one....But ofcourse I like them they are cool as can be!

It was more sitting in the race shop when someone ... Possibly me Said we should build a bobbed deuce! ..... Now its well if you want the thing you are the one going to pick it up lol

Bobbed Deuces are a big topic there too.  Pro and con.  

I like the look of them, some of the purists think it's a sin to cut up a fairly rare military vehicle, but it's certain that the military has cut up more of these trucks than anyone else ever could.

If I had the money, I'd prolly buy several and bob at least one.

LC
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Some friends and I had a discussion about surplus military trucks this weekend, and it reminded me of this story.

http://www.lonestar-mvpa.org/events/2005/05_Katrina.htm

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some friends and I had a discussion about surplus military trucks this weekend, and it reminded me of this story.

wow
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got two of them.
No need to double-clutch or split shift.
The shift pattern is a lil different.

All the way up left is R
down left is 1st
up in the middle is 2nd
down in the middle is 3rd
down on the right is 4th
up right is 5th

Basically like driving a big pick-up. Really simple

They do not all have the PTO, I'd say the vast majority do not.
Turning the fuel up is not hard.

One of mine tops out at about 62mph on 9.00-20s.
It goes very well.
The other one is a bit slower.

Probably the main thing to be aware of are brake problems.
Very old technology. But simple.

They are certainly not for everyone, but I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 2:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can they be driven clutchless like one would drive a triaxle or a big rig?  Not easy they are made to be clutched

Do they all have a PTO even if they dont have a winch? yes

Is there any highway speed increase over 10wheel , singles with 6 wheels and a bobbed deuce with 4 singles? no if anything the 10 wheeled a2 is slightly faster but it is 1-4 mph

I have friends with both versions of A2 and my brother has an a3  the 6.50 gear limits you

The gear in the rockwell axle is 6.72 not 6.5

The trans has a pto spot but will have a cover plat installed if nothing was bolted there.

Decreasing the number of tires wont net any speed increases but might net a increase in fuel economy.

As others have stated changing tire size will get some speed but the speedo wont show it.

Edit your exsisting truck might have a pto spot.

even  my 1986 zuk could have had a pto

And I HAve 2 pto ports on my new trany in my zuk

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 3:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Very cool. Thanks for all the info guys!
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey Badlatitude,

First dallasfromdallas(sp) has a bobbed duce...he posted it here...he let my kids climb all over it when we went by there last year.

Second You know that the .mil is getting a new duce that is a forward control 4x4.  Might be fun to put together a reasonable copy of the new duce using an Isuzu NPR truck cab and one ton components.

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 3:43:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

wow .. kinda dusty in here this morning

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 3:46:31 AM EDT
[#16]
PA... After owning a Duramax for 7 years I wouldnt buy and Isuzu if it was the last truck on the planet. If we dont pick up a Deuce I will continue my hunt for a decent B-61
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

PA... After owning a Duramax for 7 years I wouldnt buy and Isuzu if it was the last truck on the planet. If we dont pick up a Deuce I will continue my hunt for a decent B-61

never buy the early year motors...

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

never buy the early year motors...

12 times back to chevrolet and it still wasnt fixed. Loses fuel prime. They decided one time to test the injectors. Told me its some crazy amount of hrs to do the job. Dropped the truck off at 9am at 10:30 they called me saying they were fine. I said well while its apart ill pay full part cost for new injectors ... Oh its already back together

So I have a truck with bad a bad fuel system that was never right , out of warrienty sitting in my driveway. yay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top