Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey B-M,  maybe the smell in your heaters is from rodent droppings and body fluids?

Who have you been talking too?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
My Dyna Glo took 2 hours to raise the temps from 67 to 80 degrees in the main part of the house. The back bedrooms are at 70 degrees. This thing can easily heat the entire house if I can run it without bad smells and headache inducing fumes. There is no reason to run it more than 2 hours at a time for supplemental heat.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Personally, I think you've got bad/old (contaminated) wicks if you're having a smell problem (other than when you're lighting or shutting them off).

http://www.milesstair.com/Kero_Heater_wicks.html

goto this site, its great. #1- get a C02 detector and smoke alarm!!!!!  ive been using a dura-heat, almost new, $75, that is 23K BTU throws tons of heat.   and a Kogy 100 that was bought off craigslist for $40. i had to break them both in by burning outside and then cleaning the wicks. light and shut down these things outside, or they will stink the place up, crack a window, and dont let the flame go more than 1/2" around the burner. i use K-1 low sulfer from the local speedway and the odor trick for me is a product called "kero-kleen" cinnamon scent,  i picked up at the local home depot. its in a 8oz bottle, and one oz treats like 10 gallons. $4 abottle and its worth it. the kogy is 15000 btu, and is far easier to regulate. heats the upper 1/2 of my home, 900sq ft to 72 when zero outside! also runs 14 hours off a 1.9 gallon fill. another thing that i got off that site is a 1/2 tsp full of rubbing alcohol in the tank makes any water in the K-1 burn out instead of making the flame flicker. i sent for the platinum screen  too,(miles stair, like $6) i read the reviews and seems to burn far cleaner. all in all, im having great results with these heaters. i guess pre WWII 80% of the USA cooked and heated with kerosene, and most of japan still does. i run mine 8 hours at night and thats like $3 a day. no gas-no electricity. the real issue is finding k-1 less than $4 a gallon.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I think you've got bad/old (contaminated) wicks if you're having a smell problem (other than when you're lighting or shutting them off).

goto this site, its great. #1- get a C02 detector and smoke alarm!!!!!  ive been using a dura-heat, almost new, $75, that is 23K BTU throws tons of heat.   and a Kogy 100 that was bought off craigslist for $40. i had to break them both in by burning outside and then cleaning the wicks. light and shut down these things outside, or they will stink the place up, crack a window, and dont let the flame go more than 1/2" around the burner. i use K-1 low sulfer from the local speedway and the odor trick for me is a product called "kero-kleen" cinnamon scent,  i picked up at the local home depot. its in a 8oz bottle, and one oz treats like 10 gallons. $4 abottle and its worth it. the kogy is 15000 btu, and is far easier to regulate. heats the upper 1/2 of my home, 900sq ft to 72 when zero outside! also runs 14 hours off a 1.9 gallon fill. another thing that i got off that site is a 1/2 tsp full of rubbing alcohol in the tank makes any water in the K-1 burn out instead of making the flame flicker. i sent for the platinum screen  too,(miles stair, like $6) i read the reviews and seems to burn far cleaner. all in all, im having great results with these heaters. i guess pre WWII 80% of the USA cooked and heated with kerosene, and most of japan still does. i run mine 8 hours at night and thats like $3 a day. no gas-no electricity. the real issue is finding k-1 less than $4 a gallon.

That guy advocates burning low odor mineral spirits in his kerosene heaters as well. He says absolutely not in flat wick type lanterns and lamps.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does ULS diesel have any formulation that would make it undesirable to use in a wick type heater? I am really trying to find something to run a convection heater on that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. My gas furnace is old and I want some standby heat. My main concern is that there are additives that would be harmful to breathe in the house.

why not get a coal stove?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does ULS diesel have any formulation that would make it undesirable to use in a wick type heater? I am really trying to find something to run a convection heater on that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. My gas furnace is old and I want some standby heat. My main concern is that there are additives that would be harmful to breathe in the house.

why not get a coal stove?

What's coal?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#7]
www.stpaulmercantile.com is great too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

goto this site, its great. #1- get a C02 detector and smoke alarm!!!!!  ive been using a dura-heat, almost new, $75, that is 23K BTU throws tons of heat.   and a Kogy 100 that was bought off craigslist for $40. i had to break them both in by burning outside and then cleaning the wicks. light and shut down these things outside, or they will stink the place up, crack a window, and dont let the flame go more than 1/2" around the burner. i use K-1 low sulfer from the local speedway and the odor trick for me is a product called "kero-klean" cinnamon scent,  i picked up at the local home depot. its in a 8oz bottle, and one oz treats like 10 gallons. $4 abottle and its worth it. the kogy is 15000 btu, and is far easier to regulate. heats the upper 1/2 of my home, 900sq ft to 72 when zero outside! also runs 14 hours off a 1.9 gallon fill. another thing that i got off that site is a 1/2 tsp full of rubbing alcohol in the tank makes any water in the K-1 burn out instead of making the flame flicker. i sent for the platinum screen  too,(miles stair, like $6) i read the reviews and seems to burn far cleaner. all in all, im having great results with these heaters. i guess pre WWII 80% of the USA cooked and heated with kerosene, and most of japan still does. i run mine 8 hours at night and thats like $3 a day. no gas-no electricity. the real issue is finding k-1 less than $4 a gallon.

That guy advocates burning low odor mineral spirits in his kerosene heaters as well. He says absolutely not in flat wick type lanterns and lamps.

theres gotta be a dif in the K-1 quality across the map. the stuff im getting is pretty clean burning.also use that "kero-klean" , it works for me. im also looking for LOMS if its less expensive. id be intersted to know if a less quality kerosene or high grade diesel can be cut with it, to work without creating a 39lb fire bomb.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

goto this site, its great. #1- get a C02 detector and smoke alarm!!!!!  ive been using a dura-heat, almost new, $75, that is 23K BTU throws tons of heat.   and a Kogy 100 that was bought off craigslist for $40. i had to break them both in by burning outside and then cleaning the wicks. light and shut down these things outside, or they will stink the place up, crack a window, and dont let the flame go more than 1/2" around the burner. i use K-1 low sulfer from the local speedway and the odor trick for me is a product called "kero-klean" cinnamon scent,  i picked up at the local home depot. its in a 8oz bottle, and one oz treats like 10 gallons. $4 abottle and its worth it. the kogy is 15000 btu, and is far easier to regulate. heats the upper 1/2 of my home, 900sq ft to 72 when zero outside! also runs 14 hours off a 1.9 gallon fill. another thing that i got off that site is a 1/2 tsp full of rubbing alcohol in the tank makes any water in the K-1 burn out instead of making the flame flicker. i sent for the platinum screen  too,(miles stair, like $6) i read the reviews and seems to burn far cleaner. all in all, im having great results with these heaters. i guess pre WWII 80% of the USA cooked and heated with kerosene, and most of japan still does. i run mine 8 hours at night and thats like $3 a day. no gas-no electricity. the real issue is finding k-1 less than $4 a gallon.

theres gotta be a dif in the K-1 quality across the map. the stuff im getting is pretty clean burning.also use that "kero-klean" , it works for me. im also looking for LOMS if its less expensive. id be intersted to know if a less quality kerosene or high grade diesel can be cut with it, to work without creating a 39lb fire bomb.

I am very comfortable with this stuff in my kerosene heater. The wick in this heater is pretty snug. There is no room for significant amounts of vapor to flow through anyplace other than the wick. Right now I am at 50/50 with super clean K1. Tomorrow evening or Sunday I will have 50/50 with pump kerosene.

I just bought 5 gallons of K1 from across the boarder in PA. I poured some of it into an empty lamp oil jug to see how it looked. Both the stuff I bought here and over there is clear, but it has a major yellow tint to it. The stuff I bought today is from a big gas station that moves lots and lots of product, so its not left over from last year.

The mineral spirits are more expensive by a long shot at $5 a gallon. I paid $3.50 for K1 tonight.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
have a no stink update, took the top lid off my kogy , and hung the platinum screen catalytic filter sent from miles stair.com, and fired it up with no additives. now it burns so clean that i can have the knob at the lowest setting. its hotter too, with zero fumes.the way its running, im guessing ill get 18 hours or more out of a tank.(1.9 gal) this little inexpensive mod to a kero heater may be the trick to gain no fumes combustion, from any K-1 in any heater.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
have a no stink update, took the top lid off my kogy , and hung the platinum screen catalytic filter sent from miles stair.com, and fired it up with no additives. now it burns so clean that i can have the knob at the lowest setting. its hotter too, with zero fumes.the way its running, im guessing ill get 18 hours or more out of a tank.(1.9 gal) this little inexpensive mod to a kero heater may be the trick to gain no fumes combustion, from any K-1 in any heater.

It may be a scam, but I am up for trying anything. I have one on the way. Hope to be trying it some time late next week.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#12]
im pretty leary, and for $11 to my door im impressed. should have gotten 2. ill be suprised if you dont see a real difference. how long the thing will last may be another story tho. im all of 3 hours into this review, and after a tank or 2 ill really know. far more high tech than a 1800's perfection heater.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I bought some of those 'platinum' screens a few years ago. Never tested them but in theory, I thought they might work.

Your info is encouraging!

Is the screen glowing bright red?

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
shippings fast, had it to me in less than 3 days.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I want to try one in an Aladdin lamp.

I wonder if Aladdin ever thought of embedding platinum in their mantles?

Is your's glowing red?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought some of those 'platinum' screens a few years ago. Never tested them but in theory, I thought they might work.

Your info is encouraging!

Is the screen glowing bright red?

its bright inside the heater, im sure if the wick is put out fast its hot enough to see in the dark. i can tell by how the heaters acting that its afterburning to a positive effect. like i said, ive got the thing turned way down and its throwing great heat with no fumes. without this screen in there, cant run it that low. itll choke me out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is your's glowing red?

could set it on top i guess. im sure that will make it turn red!
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is your's glowing red?

Figured I'd cut out a 2 1/2 inch circle and mount it above the mantle.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is your's glowing red?

if fire is below this screen that i have, it will get hot. wether or not the aladdin is made to get that hot idk. whats it look like?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is your's glowing red?

if fire is below this screen that i have, it will get hot. wether or not the aladdin is made to get that hot idk. whats it look like?

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]
may get too hot and crack it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#22]
still on the same tank. from 5pm start-up last night, central time, no smell. 15 last night and 72 in here.1/4 tank to go!
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Klean-Heat from Home Depot burns very clean with no smell.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have no doubt, but at $11 a gallon, it will only get used in the oil lamps. $1.75 per hour to run instead of $0.67 for a 50/50 mix of pump k1 and MS.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I just switched over to half pump K1 and half Mineral spirits. Its only been burning for the last 15 mins and there is already a difference. Its not a lot right now, but its as obvious as the nose on my face.

I will let it run for the next few hours and see how it works. I am somewhat let down that the smell is still so distinct. It actually may be okay. The only way to tell is time and if I get headaches or not.

I would drive a long damn way to pick up a few 55 gallon drums of good quality K1 to bring back home. How do I go about researching this so I can find what I am looking for?
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes - it is 100% mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is, then it has a high flash point for mineral spirits. 145 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#28]
miles stair platinum cat update. 21 hours on 1.9 gallons and was still going strong! had to shut it down, had to go out for a bit.  was getting 14hrs before, but couldnt turn it down b/c of fumes. i think this is working.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry I was thinking of Klean-Strip "Kerosene" and not Klean-Strip "Klean-Heat"  Both are misleading due to there names.  Klean-Strip "Kerosene" is 100% mineral spirits with a flash point of 101 degrees F.  The KS "Kerosene"  is listed as "safe for all lanterns' lamps and heaters"  even though it has a lower flash point.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you see that?.....Never mind thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Weird update.  

I have very good news on the kerosene front.

Yesterday, when I switched to the 50/50 K1/mineral spirits mix. I never turned off the heater. I added 1/2 tank of mineral spirits and then added 1/2 tank of kerosene.

Within 5 minutes of adding the kerosene, it started smelling like kerosene. It never had the chance to burn during lighting or shutting down. It just smelled from straight up burning. Both my mom and I were not liking it one bit and shut it down after 1 hour.

Today, after the two fuels have had time to mix, it is burning as scent free as ever. No kerosene smell at all.

My conclusion, even if it may not be quite right, is that the kerosene must have wicked really quickly as that was what was on top, before it had time to mix. There is no way all the K1 burned off in the hour it was running. Now I am going to have to try this experiment again in the next few days and put the mineral spirits in last. Then I will give the two fuels time to mix before firing up the heater.

If this works out I will have to premix the two fuels so they combine before putting them into my heater.

This whole experiment is a big deal for many reasons.

This combination of fuels costs $0.67 per hour to run. Two hours of running keeps the furnace from running for 4 to 6 hours and heats the house up much warmer than we do with the furnace to save money. Running 2 hours in the morning makes a difference all day.

The second factor is the emergency heat aspect. Enough said. It heats the whole house from one end.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry I was thinking of Klean-Strip "Kerosene" and not Klean-Strip "Klean-Heat"  Both are misleading due to there names.  Klean-Strip "Kerosene" is 100% mineral spirits with a flash point of 101 degrees F.  The KS "Kerosene"  is listed as "safe for all lanterns' lamps and heaters"  even though it has a lower flash point.

http://www.msiwix.com/Dale%20Pictures/Klean-Heat2a.jpg

I can confirm that Klean Heat Kerosene is actually mineral spirits.

klean heat kerosene msds

From the MSDS sheet:

3. Composition/Information on Ingredients
Hazardous Components (Chemical Name)
Stoddard solvent {Mineral spirits; Aliphatic
Petroleum Distillates; White spirits}
8052-41-3
CAS #
95.0 -100.0 %
Concentration

Again:

9. Physical and Chemical Properties
Physical States: [ ] Gas [ X ] Liquid [ ] Solid
Melting Point: No data.
Boiling Point: 300.00 F (148.9 C) - 425.00 F (218.3 C)
Autoignition Pt: 446.00 F (230.0 C)
Flash Pt: > 101.00 F (38.3 C) Method Used: Setaflash Closed Cup (Rapid Setaflash)
Explosive Limits: LEL: 0.5 UEL: 6
Specific Gravity (Water = 1): 0.78

This product has a slightly lower flash point than the stuff I bought. I am going to stick to Klean Heat and lamp oil for my oil lamps. Kerosene will most likely work, but safety is a big concern.

I am convinced that the mineral spirits I bought will be fine in my kerosene heaters. If I can cut it with kerosene to make it cheaper, all the better.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

klean heat kerosene msds

From the MSDS sheet:

8052-41-3
CAS #
95.0 -100.0 %
Concentration

Again:

Flash Pt: > 101.00 F (38.3 C) Method Used: Setaflash Closed Cup (Rapid Setaflash)

This product has a slightly lower flash point than the stuff I bought. I am going to stick to Klean Heat and lamp oil for my oil lamps. Kerosene will most likely work, but safety is a big concern.

I am convinced that the mineral spirits I bought will be fine in my kerosene heaters. If I can cut it with kerosene to make it cheaper, all the better.

B_M....Thanks for doing all this research.....I've been in the same boat with the Mrs not liking the fumes.

I may have to give this a try....I primarily heat with wood....but have a K-1 heater that was purchased a  couple years ago ( I got the heater...3 extra wicks.....two 5 gal cans painted blue.....and a 30 gal dedicated portable tank).....I ran it dry after the wife said that it caused headaches.

I'll let you know what she thinks....may not be til next year.......but thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

klean heat kerosene msds

From the MSDS sheet:

8052-41-3
CAS #
95.0 -100.0 %
Concentration

Again:

B_M....Thanks for doing all this research.....I've been in the same boat with the Mrs not liking the fumes.

I may have to give this a try....I primarily heat with wood....but have a K-1 heater that was purchased a  couple years ago ( I got the heater...3 extra wicks.....two 5 gal cans painted blue.....and a 30 gal dedicated portable tank).....I ran it dry after the wife said that it caused headaches.

I'll let you know what she thinks....may not be til next year.......but thanks again.

No problem. If you want to get what I am burning right now, pick up some Klean Strip Kerosene and some regular pump grade K1. Mix 50/50 and burn and see how she likes it. Then you are not spending the big bucks to try it out. Make sure to light it outside and let if warm up for 5 mins and kill it outside as well.

I am going to purchase a 55 gallon drum of the mineral spirits next month. The fact that KleanStrip is selling MS commercially for Kerosene fuel puts it over the top for me. It just performs too good not to.

I will keep playing with the ratio of real K1 to MS as I use it. Pre-mixing is a must for no smell.

I am extremely happy with how this entire experience has worked out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Weird update.  

I have very good news on the kerosene front.

Yesterday, when I switched to the 50/50 K1/mineral spirits mix. I never turned off the heater. I added 1/2 tank of mineral spirits and then added 1/2 tank of kerosene.

Within 5 minutes of adding the kerosene, it started smelling like kerosene. It never had the chance to burn during lighting or shutting down. It just smelled from straight up burning. Both my mom and I were not liking it one bit and shut it down after 1 hour.

Today, after the two fuels have had time to mix, it is burning as scent free as ever. No kerosene smell at all.

My conclusion, even if it may not be quite right, is that the kerosene must have wicked really quickly as that was what was on top, before it had time to mix. There is no way all the K1 burned off in the hour it was running. Now I am going to have to try this experiment again in the next few days and put the mineral spirits in last. Then I will give the two fuels time to mix before firing up the heater.

If this works out I will have to premix the two fuels so they combine before putting them into my heater.

This whole experiment is a big deal for many reasons.

This combination of fuels costs $0.67 per hour to run. Two hours of running keeps the furnace from running for 4 to 6 hours and heats the house up much warmer than we do with the furnace to save money. Running 2 hours in the morning makes a difference all day.

The second factor is the emergency heat aspect. Enough said. It heats the whole house from one end.

it wasnt mixed, sounds like youve got it now tho. as for the $per hour, thats where im at. i think im heating for like $0.40  an hr with the 15k btu unit. thats less than running the furnace. its all about the $$$ per day for me, and last night i had the place to myself so i only heated mt 1 room with a small ceramic heater and let the rest of the house go cold.( was 5-8 last nite here) in the AM it was 40 in the LR, fired up the kogy and in 2 hrs its almost 60 again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#36]
in hindsight, i dont like the house to chill so much, but it was a simulation. for the $3 it cost to run this heater on low over night, its not bad. i know 1 thing for sure, if i have kerosene, im warm no matter what.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I feel comfortable enough with the fuel selection to purchase a smaller, more efficient heater that will fit our small house better. Now that I know that it won't give me massive head aches and make me sick, I would like a heater that I can move around the house and not blast us out.

I just ordered this heater from the recommendations from the Miles Stair  Wick Shop website.

radiant kerosene heater for $99
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#38]
BM, I was looking at the pic on the link you posted.
It looks like the cage is taller, and more narrow than the two "half size" heaters I have.

I imagine that would help with more completely re burning the combustion by products.
I would bet that odor would not be much of an issue with this design.

Let us know how this heater works out for you, would you?
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
BM, I was looking at the pic on the link you posted.
It looks like the cage is taller, and more narrow than the two "half size" heaters I have.

I imagine that would help with more completely re burning the combustion by products.
I would bet that odor would not be much of an issue with this design.

Let us know how this heater works out for you, would you?

That is what that Miles Stair fellow said as well. The fact that the gases have to travel so far up the red hot metal column burns away more of the fumes. I like the concept and that is why I went for it. I hope it works out well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I have the msds for this brand of mineral spirits. Do know where I can get one for kerosene?  Also, is there a resource that goes further into what is released by burning either one?

Specifications for K1 would be great as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I mounted up the platinum catalytic filter screen today.

When I did I noticed that the wick needed a little cleaning. Last year I ran a few tanks of regular crap kerosene through it so it was a little crudded up.

I siphoned out most of the fuel and burn it until the flame went down to the point that it was hard to see, but you can hear it still flaring and flickering 3.5 hours later. This is excruciating since I want to clean it before I go to bed. It just wont quit burning!!!

I just have to wait it out and do the relight and get it right. Hopefully it will clean up nice and soft so it will wick well.  I want to refuel it and get it running again before I turn in for the night. Patience has never been my virtue. Especially since its still somewhat chilly outside.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#44]
This thread prompted me to get my heater in order.

Thanks to sksAL I ordered the platinum catalytic screen from Miles Stair and finally ordered some wicks that I never got around to getting.  That was Saturday and I received them today. Installed the new wick (never did that before), installed the screen and fired it up.

WOW!  I it's burning much hotter with a nice even flame.  This is crappy red dyed Kerosene with a little K1 mixed in it.   I'm probably not the best judge of odor ("grew up" in a automotive body shop) but I'm not smelling anything offensive.

Thanks to all for wringing this subject out and pointing out some good options.  

I'm a happy and warm miser.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Following directions works really really well. Go figure!

When it finally stopped burning after nearly 4.5 hours from the time when it looked like it stopped, I re-lit it. Then it started burning pretty well again and I was worried I would be at it in the morning!

It went back out about 30 mins later and I finally got a chance to go at it with the brush. Only one problem. Nothing left of the build up but white ash. It was nearly perfect. I just brushed away the ash and the wick felt as soft as cotton. I re-fueled it and now its warming up on the porch. I hope to see an improvement in not only the burn, but the smell as well with the catalytic screen. The mixture I have right now is slightly heavier on the pump kerosene so I should know as soon as I bring it in.

Now I know I have to go do the two crappy heaters at the machine shop so I don't end up replacing the wicks again this year.

ETA: The heater is running great. I would say its around 2/3 pump grade K1 and its working fine. No smell at all. I will most likely try a limited amount of 1:4 ratio to see if I can get away with a little more pump crap. I am still buying a 55 gallon drum of mineral spirits, but it would be great if it meant that I could mix that with 150 gallons of K1 and get an acceptable result.

ETA2: I can smell a very low grade odor coming from the 2/3 mix. Its not bad, but still there. I am thinking that 1:2 ratio is going to work okay for me. Not the best, but cheaper than 1:1.  1:3 is out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#46]
the "dry burn" seems to get the tar and crud right off, i think its only a method to be used with a fiberglass wick though. glad to hear the positive feedback on the platinum screens! at least im not alone, my Kogy 100 is getting 20+ hours per 1.9 gallons. was only getting 14 tops before.im gonna order another for my 23k dura-heat, at $11 these things pay for itself fast. as of now i have an unlimited source of real clean burning low sulfer K-1 @ $3.99 a gallon (was $3.65 2 weeks ago). the home depot stuff is 5 gals @ $32 + tax, other than using it to cut lower grade kerosene its too expensive for daily use for me.stay warm, and toss up any good info!
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I've been struggling with what I want to do for a Kero heater and fuel... I'm thinking of getting one from Home Depot once they go on clearance for 50% off.

For fuel I'm either going to pick up 5 more MWC's and gaskets and find a local source of clear K-1, or pick up the overpriced Kleen-Strip K1 from Home Depot.

The way I look at it, initially the price is almost the same ($19/MWC + ~$3.50/gallon = $36.50 and that's excluding vitron gaskets I already have) vs $38/5 gallon from Home Depot.

Thoughts?

ETA: I can probably re-use the Kleen-Strip containers if I ever go though the K-1 I end up buying and re-fill with whatever I can find at the pump if/when the time comes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 4:54:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've been struggling with what I want to do for a Kero heater and fuel... I'm thinking of getting one from Home Depot once they go on clearance for 50% off.

For fuel I'm either going to pick up 5 more MWC's and gaskets and find a local source of clear K-1, or pick up the overpriced Kleen-Strip K1 from Home Depot.

The way I look at it, initially the price is almost the same ($19/MWC + ~$3.50/gallon = $36.50 and that's excluding vitron gaskets I already have) vs $38/5 gallon from Home Depot.

Thoughts?

ETA: I can probably re-use the Kleen-Strip containers if I ever go though the K-1 I end up buying and re-fill with whatever I can find at the pump if/when the time comes.

That over priced kleanstrip K1 is the same kind of mineral spirits we have been talking about. I am mixing it with the pump K1 to get a cleaner burn. If the smell doesn't bother you then I would stick with the pump crap. Once you have the can your refills go down to $17.5.

Don't just buy a kerosene heater to let it sit on a shelf. Use it. You need to learn the ins and outs and have opportunities to stink up the house so you can learn how best to care for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't go for the smell, so maybe a mix of both would be the best bet?
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't go for the smell, so maybe a mix of both would be the best bet?

for me, 50/50 worked very well without any smell at all. I do start it outside and shut it down outside. If you do either of these inside it will take hours for the smell to go away. Start it up and get it nice and warm before bringing it in.

Just make sure you fire it up for the first time outside and let it burn for at least an hour to get all the metal and lubricant smells out of it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top