BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gshellen:
This thread rocks. Thanks OP. Made my first batch this morning (garlic, jalapeño, smoked sausage with peppercorns).

My contribution,

How to easily peel eggs:

You need to steam them, not boil them. I use a vegetable steaming basket in the bottom of a large pot. Add water up too the bottom of the basket. When the water boils, fill with room temp eggs and cover. Wait 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and place the eggs in cold water. Peeling is as easy as lightly cracking the egg, then rolling (crushing lightly) between the counter and your palm. The shell falls off and your left with a perfectly formed egg. Bonus item: You don't need to age the eggs first!
View Quote

can you tell me a bit more about the sausage? Store bought smoked you just threw in with the eggs?

Made 11 jars the other day. Usual hot sauces and peppers. One jar I did sambal chili sauce and soy sauce. Interested to see how that turns out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mdguy90:

can you tell me a bit more about the sausage? Store bought smoked you just threw in with the eggs?

Made 11 jars the other day. Usual hot sauces and peppers. One jar I did sambal chili sauce and soy sauce. Interested to see how that turns out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
This thread rocks. Thanks OP. Made my first batch this morning (garlic, jalapeño, smoked sausage with peppercorns).

My contribution,

How to easily peel eggs:

You need to steam them, not boil them. I use a vegetable steaming basket in the bottom of a large pot. Add water up too the bottom of the basket. When the water boils, fill with room temp eggs and cover. Wait 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and place the eggs in cold water. Peeling is as easy as lightly cracking the egg, then rolling (crushing lightly) between the counter and your palm. The shell falls off and your left with a perfectly formed egg. Bonus item: You don't need to age the eggs first!

I used store bought double smoked  and just tossed them in. Came from Staropolskie Delikatesy in Hamilton, Ontario.

There stuff is the best.

-Gary
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

My contribution,

How to easily peel eggs:

Any word on how the chili sauce/ soy sauce eggs turned out? I'm making a batch of pickled eggs with a couple recipes this weekend and that actually sounds kinda interesting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By gomulego:

Any word on how the chili sauce/ soy sauce eggs turned out? I'm making a batch of pickled eggs with a couple recipes this weekend and that actually sounds kinda interesting.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gomulego:

My contribution,

How to easily peel eggs:

Have not tried them yet! They are next on the list. Right now I'm working through my habaneros garlic jar and the jar with dill and garlic. I try not to open all of them at once. I'll make it next on the list though, but sorry if it doesn't help.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Six more dozen today!    

With the past few batches I've used dried Arbol peppers, peppercorns, diced garlic, salt, and dill seed.   That seems to be a good mix.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Just want to pop in this thread with an idea or two.  I looked into pickling but realized they aren't good for very long (<1yr?).  It was a challenge to find healthy fats for long term storage to complement meat and veggies.  

Nuts, oils, etc don't last long as far as I know.  Ended up going with the dehydrated eggs from Auguson Farms.

Anyway, went with this so it could be put up 10+ys without any fuss.  Expensive but convenient.  Also allowed me to put a lot more up that I would ever be able to rotate through with pickled eggs.

Will try this for taste and fun sometime though, thanks OP
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RINO_Hunter:
Just want to pop in this thread with an idea or two.  I looked into pickling but realized they aren't good for very long (<1yr?).  It was a challenge to find healthy fats for long term storage to complement meat and veggies.  

Nuts, oils, etc don't last long as far as I know.  Ended up going with the dehydrated eggs from Auguson Farms.

Anyway, went with this so it could be put up 10+ys without any fuss.  Expensive but convenient.  Also allowed me to put a lot more up that I would ever be able to rotate through with pickled eggs.

View Quote

I sell pretty much all my pickled quail eggs
but I kept a few jars to the 3 to 4 year mark just to see
and found no issue with them
long term dehydrated eggs would last longer im sure though
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RINO_Hunter:

View Quote

If you like them as much as I do, there will be no problem with rotation!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this set not to archive?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Who's been making pickled eggs lately? I've got a batch in the fridge right now. Only another week to go.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I finally get around to accumulating the supplies needed for this and Photobucket has disappeared all of OPs pics. Feels bad man. Going to try a Jamaican jerk batch for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I really need to make some more.

OP's pics are gone now and it looks like he hasn't logged in since 2015?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Looking for the shelf stable recipe, any different than the online ones that list refrigeration
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:21:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fives] [#14]
Did a batch and tested the
out after 5 months. Still tasted good
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#15]
As an FYI, get this. I will never boil water again to get hard boiled eggs. Even fresh eggs peel easy, poke a hole in the fat end, steam 'em.  It also does soft boiled and poached. I don’t have the patience to age eggs 2-3 weeks to even get started then another month pickling them. 

Elite Cuisine EGC-007 Maxi-Matic Egg Poacher & Egg Cooker with 7 Egg Capacity, White

It will do 7 large eggs at a time, 5 or so jumbos. It takes about 15 minutes per batch.

It is about the size of a cantaloupe. 

Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Using the above widget this afternoon, I bought, hardened, peeled, and started pickling a gallon of eggs. Total time was about 3 hours (with beer breaks to reload the gadget). You have to chill them to peel otherwise they are not firm enough.

Started with 4 dozen AA. I fumbled one and another had a bit of a soft shell and crunched when I went to take it from the carton so I ended up with 42 (6 batches of 7). I kept the four for other uses.

Attachment Attached File

This pic is the eggs hardboiled. Close is the pinhole in the fat end (goes up in the machine), next is the bottom (discoloring is the sulfur burning a bit), the third is a peeled one.

EASY LIKE PIE.

Attachment Attached File

I like a Louisiana style myself. Threw in some diced green chiles, garlic, and some pepper with the Crystal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Anything new?

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I love that this thread is still alive.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:24:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sergtjim] [#20]
Oops.  Double post
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:13:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sergtjim] [#21]
This thread actually got me started pickling eggs.  I have no idea how many jars I've done over the years, but it's lots.

The best way to hard boil eggs is - the instant pot.  For me and my eight quart instant pot the 5 minute cook and 5 minute natural release works best for jumbo eggs but slightly overcooks large or extra large eggs.  Four and four works best for anything smaller than Jumbos.  I cool the eggs in ice water for ten minutes or so.  It's not critical.  They just need to be cool so you don't burn your fingers.  The shells just fall off.

My favorite recipe uses Harvard beets, pickled beets, garlic, a slice of red onion and a couple squirts of Slap 'ya Mama.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Great thread since I keep chickens!
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#23]
This jar has 50 in it. I bought the 5 dozen flat from Costco, didn't cook 4, and had 6 that didn't peel well and were rejected for the batch.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The gallon jar fits vertically, but horizontally makes it easier to turn each time I am back in the fridge.

Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#24]
So, we have a jar that’s been in the refrigerator for several years.  The date is unreadable but I’m thinking 3-4.

Still good, or toss them out?
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally got around to making some. 30 eggs and 8 spicy sausages. Now, to wait for them to pickle.

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I like them spicy!
Peppercorns, coriander seeds, bay leaf, pearl onions, Trappeys yellow hot peppers,Serranos, Jalapeños, Arbols, Pequins, garlic.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I made Deviled Eggs and egg salad with the pickled eggs and both were delicious!  The Louisiana Hot Links taste exactly like the pickled sausages that I used to get as a kid too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone know if there are any ill effects from using pre cooked hard boiled eggs intended for food service use? I have a bucket of hard boiled eggs on the way I am thinking of how to preserve them. They already do contain a preservative and come in a liquid bath. It's more eggs than I can reasonably eat in the next couple weeks so this might be a good option to try.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Haoleb:
Does anyone know if there are any ill effects from using pre cooked hard boiled eggs intended for food service use? I have a bucket of hard boiled eggs on the way I am thinking of how to preserve them. They already do contain a preservative and come in a liquid bath. It's more eggs than I can reasonably eat in the next couple weeks so this might be a good option to try.
View Quote

Shouldn't be a problem. My last batch I boiled the eggs a few days ahead of time and they turned out fine.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Keeping this awesome thread alive.

I couldn't find any canning jars locally ( let's go BRANDON!) And all I had was the small 4oz jars so I reused pickles jars.

I haven't made a batch in probably 2 years anyway here's my contribution.

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RockRash:
Keeping this awesome thread alive.

I couldn't find any canning jars locally ( let's go BRANDON!) And all I had was the small 4oz jars so I reused pickles jars.

I haven't made a batch in probably 2 years anyway here's my contribution.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188534/20211110_222236-2162730.jpg
View Quote

I would destroy those.
Finding the tops have been tough here. Been having to order online in bulk for 2 years. All of a sudden everyone wants to prep.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Made these about a week ago, will try them in another week. Beet stems, green onion, garlic, jalapeno, and ginger.

Instapot makes PERFECT hard boiled eggs. 18 at a time, only one cracked shell out of the pot and not bad enough to goof it up for use here. But I ate it anyhow, because fresh hard boiled eggs are delicious.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Tanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Great post! We have canned “pickled“ eggs twice now. They have turned out wonderfully! And thanks for the ride up
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks good, so do the jars seal w/o heating them up, or do you just put them in the fridge?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:54:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stonia] [#37]
Found this thread about a month ago and finally got around to canning some.  Only did 18 to try it out. Never had a pickled egg before.

Attachment Attached File

Originally Posted By LAWRENCETHOMPSON:
Looks good, so do the jars seal w/o heating them up, or do you just put them in the fridge?
View Quote

Like making pickles, the jars seal as the hot water/vinegar cools.  Really simple poccess, then just make sure the rings are dry and snug them down.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I can barely stomach plain hard boiled eggs anymore.  Trying some of these ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By sergtjim:
This thread actually got me started pickling eggs.  I have no idea how many jars I've done over the years, but it's lots.

The best way to hard boil eggs is - the instant pot.  For me and my eight quart instant pot the 5 minute cook and 5 minute natural release works best for jumbo eggs but slightly overcooks large or extra large eggs.  Four and four works best for anything smaller than Jumbos.  I cool the eggs in ice water for ten minutes or so.  It's not critical.  They just need to be cool so you don't burn your fingers.  The shells just fall off.

My favorite recipe uses Harvard beets, pickled beets, garlic, a slice of red onion and a couple squirts of Slap 'ya Mama.
View Quote

Agreed on the IP.  I used to use a steamer and that worked well too, but the IP is very easy and I get great results but like you said anything smaller than jumbo will be overcooked at 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Almost every egg out of 3 dozen had a place on it where I could see the yolk through a thin transparent layer of white, Some even had a small spot with no cover over the yolk. Is this something I should be concerned about with pickling eggs? These eggs are about 3 weeks old and have been refridgerated since collected.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Good write-up op. Many many years ago when I bartended, gallon jars of pickled eggs and pickled sausage were staples at the local taverns. Went well with a cold beer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By my65pan:
I like them spicy!
Peppercorns, coriander seeds, bay leaf, pearl onions, Trappeys yellow hot peppers,Serranos, Jalapeños, Arbols, Pequins, garlic.
https://i.postimg.cc/NFS9bfbw/FB9-B3917-4-B4-E-48-D7-94-AF-AD255267-DDC3.jpg
View Quote

These look good!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Got 10 chickens earlier this year and we are absolutely swimming in eggs since we're a family of 3....  Remembered this thread from forever ago. I second the idea of the egg cooker and a hole poked in the bottom of the egg, it's almost cheating with how easy it is to peel the eggs.

Beets with jalapenos, hot sauce with onions, and a weird Asian one with the leftovers.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks good.
Gotta try and do some of these.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Ok. I'm in.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't like pickled anything.

We waterglass a couple hundred at a time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Undaunted:

View Quote

I've never tried that. What kind of lime do you use?
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Did some more this weekend. The ones we did a couple weeks ago are like crack, what a healthy filling snack.

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CatskillDraht:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CatskillDraht:
Originally Posted By Undaunted:

It's very easy and when you want to eat the eggs, have them way you want.  

Attachment Attached File

We use 5 gal buckets.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top