User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Question––-

So maybe I misunderstood someone else, but are these kinda one time use after you catch an animal?

It kind of depends.  I have re-used snares many times, but it can and does happen that cable gets kinked or frayed, metal parts get mangled/bent, etc.  It also depends on what you make your snares out of.  When I was in elementary school, my cousins and I made snares out of several strands of copper wire twisted together, and they definitely had a short life span (hey, we were kids, and it was available).  We did catch a lot of critters, though.  Monofilament line snares (I've caught stuff with them, but honestly haven't had much luck) degrade from UV exposure, kink, fray, and otherwise weaken quickly as well.  Good metal cable snares like the ones mentioned above (as I said) can have parts fail, can weaken and break as well, but are a hell of a lot more durable (which is why this type is used by a lot of people effectively... I consider the other types mostly improvised/field-expedient).

It's been a while since I did a lot of snaring/trapping, so others here will probably be along shortly to provide better insight, but that is my experience.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Some great information here.

Definitely seems like trapping is a trial and error learning process.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Great info.

Thanks for posting the tutorial and pictures!
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Snares are designed to be one time use but as TRB said it can depend on how mangled your wire is. That is the difference between survival snaring and trapping. Trapping snares are one time use but you can salvage your snare lock , dispatch spring and washer for reuse. 1x19 cable is the strongest cable out there but it is also prone to kinking. That is the trade off for stronger cable = small diameter so less refusals. I owe you guys an explanation of modern aircraft cable used in snaring today.

Copied from a trapper site:

Step 2: Cable Selection - There are many different types, sizes, constructions and lengths of cable to choose from.
Type of Cable: There are many different types of cable out there, all with different qualities, characters, and uses. When the Old Timers were first exploring the land they used whatever was available to them; vines, horse hair, etc, but times have changed and there are a lot better options out there for the trappers of the new century!
Galvanized Aircraft Cable - This is a steel cable that has been galvanized. Galvanized is a process that puts a thin layer of protecting zinc on the cable, this zinc retards the rusting process and give the cable a sort of shiny appearance. Galvanized Aircraft Cable (GAC) is the most popular type of cable used in the snaring industry today
Stainless Steel Cable – This is what it says, stainless steel cable. This cable will not rust, and is stronger than GAC, but not completely chew resistant. It is a lighter shade of gray than the GAC, and is normally used in maritime regions that deal with salt water.
Stealth Black Cable – This is GAC that has been powder coated black. It has the same characteristics as the GAC, but tends to be a little stiffer. Its flat black color makes it a lot less visible, especially in the dark in switch grass. The powder coating process removes oils and scents.

Cable Construction: How cable is constructed affects almost every characteristic about the cable. It will determine flexibility, smoothness, strength, weight, etc. Cable construction should be chosen with diameter of cable, different construction may allow you to choose a smaller diameter cable, etc.
7x7 – Made for use when extreme flexibility is not necessary. It can be used in aircraft and automotive controls, agriculture applications, etc. In snaring, this cable is the most popular. Trappers use it for snares, extension cables, drowners, to connect earth anchors, etc.
7x19 – Made for extreme flexibility, it’s the strongest of the three constructions we have available, and is not as prone to kinks. Common uses for this cable include; rigging in sail boats, winches, exercise equipment, garage doors, etc. In snaring this cable is usually used for large animal foot snares (bear, hog), drowners, and extensions. It is usually not used for neck snares because its flexibility forms a tear-drop loop.
1x19 – This is a stiff, smooth cable and is strong, it tends to kink somewhat easily. It can be used for standing rigging, guying applications, etc. In snaring this cable is used mainly for dispatch snares, and is very fast when “loaded”. The stronger cable will allow you to choose a smaller diameter cable and still be able to hold the bigger animals.

Cable Diameter: The diameter of the cable can be determined by your target animal and construction of cable.
1/32” – Squirrel, Pine Marten, etc
3/64” – Mink, Squirrel, Rabbit, etc
1/16” – Bobcat, Fox, Rabbit, Ground Hog, Opossum, etc (Some trappers will use a 1x19 1/16” cable for coyotes with a dispatch spring and kill pole)
5/64” – Bobcat, Fox, Raccoon, Coyote (1x19), etc
3/32”    - Raccoon, Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Badger, Wolf (1x19)
           - Most popular size for snaring, very versatile
           - Also used for drowners, earth anchors, extensions, etc
7/64” – Coyote, Bear Cub, Small Alligator, Wild Hog, Wolf
1/8”      - Coyote, Bear, Alligator, Wild Hog, Wolf          
           - Earth anchors, drowners
5/32” – Bear, Alligator, Wild Hog
3/16”    - Large Bear
           - Foot Snares

Here is a visual of the inner workings of a cable so you can see what people are talking about the differences between 1x19, 7x7, etc  

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Snares are designed to be one time use but as TRB said it can depend on how mangled your wire is. That is the difference between survival snaring and trapping. Trapping snares are one time use but you can salvage your snare lock , dispatch spring and washer for reuse. 1x19 cable is the strongest cable out there but it is also prone to kinking. That is the trade off for stronger cable = small diameter so less refusals. I owe you guys an explanation of modern aircraft cable used in snaring today.

Copied from a trapper site:

Step 2: Cable Selection - There are many different types, sizes, constructions and lengths of cable to choose from.
Type of Cable: There are many different types of cable out there, all with different qualities, characters, and uses. When the Old Timers were first exploring the land they used whatever was available to them; vines, horse hair, etc, but times have changed and there are a lot better options out there for the trappers of the new century!
Galvanized Aircraft Cable - This is a steel cable that has been galvanized. Galvanized is a process that puts a thin layer of protecting zinc on the cable, this zinc retards the rusting process and give the cable a sort of shiny appearance. Galvanized Aircraft Cable (GAC) is the most popular type of cable used in the snaring industry today
Stainless Steel Cable – This is what it says, stainless steel cable. This cable will not rust, and is stronger than GAC, but not completely chew resistant. It is a lighter shade of gray than the GAC, and is normally used in maritime regions that deal with salt water.
Stealth Black Cable – This is GAC that has been powder coated black. It has the same characteristics as the GAC, but tends to be a little stiffer. Its flat black color makes it a lot less visible, especially in the dark in switch grass. The powder coating process removes oils and scents.

Cable Construction: How cable is constructed affects almost every characteristic about the cable. It will determine flexibility, smoothness, strength, weight, etc. Cable construction should be chosen with diameter of cable, different construction may allow you to choose a smaller diameter cable, etc.
7x7 – Made for use when extreme flexibility is not necessary. It can be used in aircraft and automotive controls, agriculture applications, etc. In snaring, this cable is the most popular. Trappers use it for snares, extension cables, drowners, to connect earth anchors, etc.
7x19 – Made for extreme flexibility, it’s the strongest of the three constructions we have available, and is not as prone to kinks. Common uses for this cable include; rigging in sail boats, winches, exercise equipment, garage doors, etc. In snaring this cable is usually used for large animal foot snares (bear, hog), drowners, and extensions. It is usually not used for neck snares because its flexibility forms a tear-drop loop.
1x19 – This is a stiff, smooth cable and is strong, it tends to kink somewhat easily. It can be used for standing rigging, guying applications, etc. In snaring this cable is used mainly for dispatch snares, and is very fast when “loaded”. The stronger cable will allow you to choose a smaller diameter cable and still be able to hold the bigger animals.

Cable Diameter: The diameter of the cable can be determined by your target animal and construction of cable.
1/32” – Squirrel, Pine Marten, etc
3/64” – Mink, Squirrel, Rabbit, etc
1/16” – Bobcat, Fox, Rabbit, Ground Hog, Opossum, etc (Some trappers will use a 1x19 1/16” cable for coyotes with a dispatch spring and kill pole)
5/64” – Bobcat, Fox, Raccoon, Coyote (1x19), etc
3/32”    - Raccoon, Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Badger, Wolf (1x19)
           - Most popular size for snaring, very versatile
           - Also used for drowners, earth anchors, extensions, etc
7/64” – Coyote, Bear Cub, Small Alligator, Wild Hog, Wolf
1/8”      - Coyote, Bear, Alligator, Wild Hog, Wolf          
           - Earth anchors, drowners
5/32” – Bear, Alligator, Wild Hog
3/16”    - Large Bear
           - Foot Snares

Here is a visual of the inner workings of a cable so you can see what people are talking about the differences between 1x19, 7x7, etc  

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii54/littlbigd/Snaring%20Guide/ar1032.gif

Dadgummit, this post is friggin' beautiful.  Well done.

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree. Well done. I wanted to get some snares a long time ago but forgot. You have an order of 6 on the way.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
This would be a great PDF
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks OP for posting this, and all who contribute.

Roy
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting thing (to me anyway)... I always heard that if you prop a stick against a tree that squirrels would generally choose to run up the inclined stick rather than the vertical tree trunk (thereby making a great place to set snares).  I didn't grow up in squirrel country, so never had the chance to put it to the test.  A few weeks ago, I was visiting a friend of mine (lives on about 4-5 acres out in the country, infested with squirrels.  I leaned a branch against a trunk to test the hypothesis and watched it all morning to see what the critters would do.  Sadly, almost all  of the tree rats went up the trunk instead of taking the branch, so I'm about ready to call that a myth....

I wasn't snaring, however, to appease the female of the house, just doing some research (at least until it's a "boys weekend" and nobody else is around).
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This would be a great PDF

Hint..HInt
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top