Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
wash your drawers (Page 3 of 8)
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been using the stuff I made for the past several weeks. It's working great, the clothes smell fresh, and it's cheap.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Mrs. Raven.

I just made my 1st batch.  Had a helluva time finding the A & H.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
As a side note you can use the 20 mule team borax as a welding and low/high temp soldering flux too!
Thats all I use when torch welding or low/high temp soldering
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 9:16:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#4]
Thank the Mrs. for us!
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 11:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigRedDog] [#5]
Originally Posted By lumper:
Originally Posted By CommanderBooyah:
Is the homemade soap safe for the high efficiency (HE) washers?

I would think it should be, the High Efficiency soap is just formulated not to get as bubbly as regular soap.  The one poster said this will not be as sudsy as regular soap so it should be ok.  We have a HE front loader, and the HE soap has not been on sale at a "good" price for a while around here.

Has anyone used this in a HE machine?  What needs to be changed or adjusted?  

If I mess up her new machine I will be the BigDeadDog

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 11:41:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mustangracer] [#6]
If you have sensitive skin like my wife does, you can do what we do.  We finely grate a bar of castile soap and mix it with a cup with washing soda.  use 1 TBS per load.  Castile soap is much much more mild than fels-naptha on the skin.  We also use vinegar as a fabric softener/soap booster and it works quite well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mustangracer:
We also use vinegar as a fabric softener/soap booster and it works quite well.

What, like .5 cup / load?

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#8]
we use a bar of ivory soap instead of fels naptha, and have been for many years - never had any problem and it cleans our clothes extremely well -
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info. Need to update the shopping list.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I found all the supplies at ACE Hardware here in Florida.  I even found a cheese grater at a thrift store.

This will be next weekend's project!  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Than you for posting this Raven.

One can only hope we can gather all this good information before we need it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Originally Posted By mustangracer:
We also use vinegar as a fabric softener/soap booster and it works quite well.

What, like .5 cup / load?

meh, prolly about a cup.  I don't really know, I just pour
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Vinegar has helped our towels smell better. We wash them after each and every use, we have good water her, then we line dry or if we do put them in dryer we use fabric sheet but they still end up stinking. Put in vinegar every few washes and so much better.

I've not tried this as I can only find Borax and A/H. I'll try with just ivory soap and see how it works for us.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#14]
bump for HE machine experiences
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]

The powered recipie seems so simple and easy to use.

Why would one go through all the trouble to make the liquid ?

Going to the store and making the power tomorrow !!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I finally gave up on searching locally: RusyRooster, how did you do looking locally? I ordered online from soaps of yesterday, or whatever that link is above.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ArmedFF:

The powered recipie seems so simple and easy to use.

Why would one go through all the trouble to make the liquid ?

Going to the store and making the power tomorrow !!!

with settling of particles, how do you know you have correct ratios of particles in eveyr teaspoon?  with liquid, once you shake it up, it is a more even mixture.  This really is a question for a chemist, hope we have one here...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#18]

AAR, to heck with the liquid recipe. Use straight powder.

Done it and it works great. SUPER SIMPLE. Took just min. to blend up.

Found all the ingredients at the Kroger right down the street from the house.

I used an old coffee grinder to create the Fels Naptha power, just took a few min.

Modified the blend just a bit based on some other blends I have seen.

(1) Fels Naptha bar
(1) Cup Washing Soda
(1) cup Borax

1 to 3 tablespoons per load depending on the size and degree of dirt.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Powder vs. liquid can depend on your machine and habits.

Whenever I used powder in the past I would go ahead and put it in some hot water to dissolve it because I had an old left over washer that sucked at getting things done the same way every time.  Part of my issue was also hot water I guess, never gave it much thought since disolving the soap in hot water allowed me to just wash in cold water and not worry about finding any clumps of powder detergent anywhere.

Liquid is not much of a worry if it is really liquid.  Some people don't really like to dissolve stuff completely before adding it and I have seen this clump up like a powder would.  Kind of like dumping creamer in your coffee and not stirring it up and then wondering why you have a clump of creamer in the bottom of the coffee cup.

As far as high efficiency washers go I thought an earlier post said to cut things in half?

I would probably go with about a 1/3 of the normal amount recomended for a high efficiency and then watch to see how it goes.  If you get too many suds you need to shut it down and remove some water and suds and start over with a lesser amount.

I don't currently own a washer and dryer but one of my aunts recently got a high efficiency washer and dryer and I was somewhat threatened with death if I even thought about using anything other than the soap and fabric softener she stocks for her machines.  So I won't be testing it out anytime soon since I have a lot of normal liquid detergent to use up.

Actually I guess a trip to the laundery mat and their high efficiency washers might be in order.

To help explain some of the above, I rarely read directions and for years did not know you were supposed to put the soap in first and then the clothes.  And on a lot of powder detergents they want you to put the detergent in and then turn the washer on so the water can disolve the detergent and then you can put clothes in the washer.

So depending on how you do things there may be a better choice for you than for someone else.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BigRedDog:
bump for HE machine experiences

We have an HE washer.  Been using the liquid recipe for about a week.  No issues.

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Got all excited about this, and I never even wash clothes.  I told my wife she could try it all on my clothes first.  I went to 5 different stores today, and found nothing but the Borax (which happened to be at almost every store).  I hate to order this stuff and pay $.79 for a bar of soap, and $5+ for shipping.  I guess I'll have to order by the case to save money.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Eight:
Got all excited about this, and I never even wash clothes.  I told my wife she could try it all on my clothes first.  I went to 5 different stores today, and found nothing but the Borax (which happened to be at almost every store).  I hate to order this stuff and pay $.79 for a bar of soap, and $5+ for shipping.  I guess I'll have to order by the case to save money.

Have you tried supermarkets?   None of the discount-type stores around here had any of it.  Also, if you have any True Value or Ace hardware stores left, they might carry some of it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Eight:

Have you tried supermarkets?   None of the discount-type stores around here had any of it.  Also, if you have any True Value or Ace hardware stores left, they might carry some of it.

I tried Winn Dixie and an old supermarket called Oaktree.  Oaktree is where all the old people shop aroud here.  I thought for sure they would have some of it.  I'm going to try Publix today, since someone here said they had it all.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ken_mays] [#24]
Also, Zote soap is another commonly used laundry soap that can be substituted for Fels-Naptha in this recipe.  I picked up some Zote today at Big Lots, and I've seen it at Wal-Mart in other states.

http://www.zote.com.mx/english/english.htm
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#25]
that's bad ass... I might just have to try it.

My mom is allergic to a lot of the perfumey-additives in soaps (mildly, just an annoyance)... I will pass this info on.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, Publix had it all.  I was surprised.  I plan on making some this weekend.  Thanks for the instructions, OP.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I followed the instructions to the letter, except I did not boil the soap, just heated it enough to dissolve.  It set up like jello, guess I need to reheat and thin.  Works good though.  Cost me right at $.50 a gallon to make!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ThePatriot556:
I followed the instructions to the letter, except I did not boil the soap, just heated it enough to dissolve.  It set up like jello, guess I need to reheat and thin.  Works good though.  Cost me right at $.50 a gallon to make!

Try shaking the jug first; usually it sets up firmly but a few shakes will re-liquefy it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ThePatriot556:

Try shaking the jug first; usually it sets up firmly but a few shakes will re-liquefy it.

Thanks, but I did shake the heck out of it.  It's so thick it will only dissolve in the washer when used with HOT water.

For those looking for the ingredients, I looked EVERYWHERE, found them in a Winco grocery store.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Update:  I made a couple batches of this stuff with Zote over the weekend.

The Zote bar is at least twice as big as the Fels-Naptha bar, and of a softer texture.  I decided to use 1/4 of the bar for my 1 gallon batch.

It set up far more solidly than my Fels-Naptha batches.   Like other posters have said, it's about the texture of Jello.   I use a 1-gal fabric softener jug, and I had to kind of squeeze this stuff out.    When I get a little more space in the jug, I'll add some water in hopes that it will loosen things up.   Now I can see why they recommend using a bucket for this stuff, it's easier to dip in and grab a cup of it that way.

For the next batch, I'll use about 1/8 a bar of Zote.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Like other posters have said, it's about the texture of Jello.

Just make sure no one tries to eat it...

I'm glad to hear you guys are having success!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I made a 2nd 5 gallon batch last week. In my earlier post I mentioned how my wife was doubtful that it would work as well as store bought stuff, well she is fully on board with it now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Have been using the OPs recipe for about three weeks now. The Wife loves how the clothes smell.

THANKS Raven_Fire
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Anybody know what to use as a dish washing detergent.  I am talking about the kind to go into a dishwasher.  That stuff is expensive!
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By okiehunter39:
Anybody know what to use as a dish washing detergent.  I am talking about the kind to go into a dishwasher.  That stuff is expensive!

Never tried it but Im going too soon.
Linky

"Detergent:

1 Tablespoon 20 Mule Team Borax ($3.29 for a 4 lb. box @ Publix)
1 Tablespoon Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda ($2.29 for a 3 lb. box @ Publix)
––-both can be found on the laundry aisle––-

Rinse Aid:

White Vinegar

Using a spoon, mix the Borax and washing soda together. Add this mixture to your dishwasher's detergent compartment. Run dishwasher as usual.

Use the white vinegar instead of Jet Dry in the rinse dispenser.

These ingredients are also all-natural:

Washing soda is simply sodium carbonate. It is similar to baking soda, but it has just been processed differently: it is much more alkaline.

Borax is a natural mineral compound. It was discovered over 4000 years ago. Borax is usually found deep within the ground, although it has been mined near the surface in Death Valley, California since the 1800s.

Even though these ingredients are "natural" ––-keep them out of the reach of children (they are dangerous if ingested) and wear gloves (they can cause burns on the skin)."

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I made some following the original directions.  All items found at the local Kroger grocery store.  After cooling it was becoming jello, but I scooped some out and did a few loads.  After letting it set for the last few days it was pretty well set up as a loose jello consistancy. I put the top back on and shook the hell out of it which re-liquified it.  I then poured it into a left over Tide container w/ an easy pour spout (press a button and it comes out), and I'm doing a load now.  

Thanks for the post!

K
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Anybody know what effect this stuff has on septic systems after long term use?
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 7:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kar98k] [#38]
Originally Posted By mw365:
Anybody know what effect this stuff has on septic systems after long term use?

I can't really say for sure from experience, but based on the ingredients it shouldn't be any worse than the commercially available detergents.  

Sodium Percarbonate Bleach (so-called Oxygen Bleach) is supposed to be good for septic systems.  Personally, I can't say one way or the other.

The best things you can do for your septic system from the washing machine are to use a discharge filter, and don't wash so many loads at a time that you flood your system which can put solids in the drain fields...  definitely not a good thing.

Oh, and you want the washer to discharge into the regular septic system, not it's own system.  The biologicals which break down waste can't live on dirty soapy water alone and actually require waste products or the system can fail.

Dedicated properly designed grey water systems are a different story, and I know very little about them... so somebody else kindly tell us about those and detergents if you please.

As always, YMMV.

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Great info

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/21/2009 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By XM15Carbine:
Never tried it but Im going too soon.
Linky
"Detergent:
1 Tablespoon 20 Mule Team Borax ($3.29 for a 4 lb. box @ Publix)
1 Tablespoon Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda ($2.29 for a 3 lb. box @ Publix)
––-both can be found on the laundry aisle––-
Rinse Aid:
White Vinegar
Using a spoon, mix the Borax and washing soda together. Add this mixture to your dishwasher's detergent compartment. Run dishwasher as usual.
Use the white vinegar instead of Jet Dry in the rinse dispenser.
These ingredients are also all-natural:
Washing soda is simply sodium carbonate. It is similar to baking soda, but it has just been processed differently: it is much more alkaline.
Borax is a natural mineral compound. It was discovered over 4000 years ago. Borax is usually found deep within the ground, although it has been mined near the surface in Death Valley, California since the 1800s.
Even though these ingredients are "natural" ––-keep them out of the reach of children (they are dangerous if ingested) and wear gloves (they can cause burns on the skin)."

Since we already had the Super Washing Soda and the Borax, I've been using the above for the last couple of days and don't see a difference between the Cascade we had been using and this formula.  Still using Jet-Dry, but we've got a big bottle of it and there's no point in throwing that out.

Checking the label on a box of Cascade,  the active ingredients are  Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Silicate, and Enzymes.  The listed ingredients of other powdered dishwasher detergents at the grocery store revealed that they all had about the same thing in them.  Borax is actually Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate.

This Borax and Super Washing Soda DW detergent seems to be a good replacement for the commercial stuff and costs less.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 6/21/2009 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Been using the OP formula for 3 months now.  Works excellent, even on my automotive work clothes.  Just got done mixing up another match earlier today.  So the original 10 gallon mixture lasted us the three months.  At around $2.50 for 10 gallons, I love it.

Gonna try out the vinegar fabric softener next.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I spent a couple of trips looking for the ingredients.  Here's a rundown to save fellow SFers some time and trouble.

Wal-Mart had the Borax stuff, FYI.

No Washing Powder or Fels Naptha.

Target, Farm & Fleet, Lowes didn't have them either.

Finally, at Schnucks, I found the washing powder and naptha stuff (and they had the Borax stuff as well).

It's not at all expensive.  I'll probably mix up a batch when my current container of laundry soap runs dry.

Hope this helps.

John
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Walmart, Big Lots, Brookshire's, USA Drug and such around here don't have the washing soda or Fel's.

I found Pink Zote and Octagon soap. I have some Ivory but it's rather soft and I'm wanting to make powder soap, don't care for liquid as it's harder to clean up when spilled. The search continues I guess....
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I had to really go looking for the ingredients.
I found the Fels at Kroger.
The 20 mule Team Borax was at K-Mart/Big K.
I had to order the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda from Soaps Gone Buy.

We hope to do laundry this weekend using the recipe.

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Picked up all 3 ingrediants at Schnucks.  They were all within arms reach of each other.

I think I screwed up and bought too much.  I've now 2 boxes of Borax 2 of Arm and Hammer and 4 bars of Soap.

Will be making both liquid and powder soon and will be taking copious pictures.  Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:32:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SgtAwesome] [#46]
Haven't tried it (or even pursued the ingredients) but I love the fact a pistol keeps showing up in pics as do a couple of knives.

Definitely tactical laundry detergent!  
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Update: my wife states that the Zote mix is unsat for use.   It is gelled up into an unusable mass.  I melted it down, added 1 gallon of water to my 1 gallon of mix, and it still re-gelled into a semi-solid state.  This worked out to 1/8 a Zote bar per 1 gallon water, 1/2 cup washing soda, 1/2 cup borax.

Only Fels-Naptha from now on.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Update: my wife states that the Zote mix is unsat for use.   It is gelled up into an unusable mass.  I melted it down, added 1 gallon of water to my 1 gallon of mix, and it still re-gelled into a semi-solid state.  This worked out to 1/8 a Zote bar per 1 gallon water, 1/2 cup washing soda, 1/2 cup borax.

Only Fels-Naptha from now on.

I had this with my last batch too.  I re-heated, added a gallon of water, 1/2 cup each of Borax and A&H.

Let it sit overnight, and had jello again.  Re-heated, added another 1/2 gallon of water.  It's still pretty thick.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#49]
How is the smell in the house while you are making it? Should I do it outside on the Coleman Stove?
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:
How is the smell in the house while you are making it? Should I do it outside on the Coleman Stove?

Not bad at all.  Open some windows and you'll be good to go.

RE: gelling.  I used the OP's recipe and it will gel up, but nothing that a good shake of the bottle prior to using won't cure.

K

Page / 8
wash your drawers (Page 3 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top