Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2008 3:12:59 PM EDT
Does it last longer if you freeze it?Do some brands last longer?I was thinking this would probably last quite a bit longer than cigarettes,but I'm not sure.I figure adding a log or 2 of dip to the barter pile might be a good deal,and I dip every now and then,so I might be able to rotate through it.What do you guys think?I know there's an SF guy who can tell me all the ins and outs of this.Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was in college, my roommate would take the leftover funds from his student loan and purchase 4-5 logs, since it would probably be the last time he had any money.  He would put them all in the freezer and pull them out when ever needed.  He never bitched or complained when he would pull one out months later.  I don't dip, but I will say that his can of dip still smelled like fresh piss after he would defrost it, so I would venture to say it kept it pretty fresh.  Hopefully some dippers will chime in too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never used snuff or dip,but I still on occassion use chewing tobacco. I usually buy the plug at the grocery store and it will last me a weekend of outdoor festivities. I've put one in my fridge(in the butter compart.) and it lasted-oh say- about a year.
Now,I don't normally chew the stuff,so I don't have much experience with cold storage. Just my personal obsevation. Good luck.

Ray
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that Copenhagen dries out after bout a month ath the most,nvr tried freezing it though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I quit 7 years ago, but before that I had dipped for almost 20 years. Copenhagen would keep in the freezer pretty good, pretty much indefinitely.

however, to put 'pretty good' and 'indefinitely' in perspective... when broke and out, I've gone as far as cleaning the house and car just to find a few empty cans, most of them were dry as dust and only had a pinch left. but when you need a dip, you aint all that proud.

don't worry too much about people who dip being all that picky. go with Copenhagen in the freezer, move it to a ziplock if the power is gonna be out for an extended time. even if it's all dry and nasty don't throw it out, someone will still want it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to bring Cope across the border at Hyder Alaska  (before Canada Customs started stopping vehicles) and keep it in the freezer for up to six months with no change in taste (or smell) not info on storing it longer than that. I chew redman now but at almost 17 bucks canadian for a pouch ( small compared to US size) I don't store too much
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I quit 7 years ago, but before that I had dipped for almost 20 years. Copenhagen would keep in the freezer pretty good, pretty much indefinitely.

however, to put 'pretty good' and 'indefinitely' in perspective... when broke and out, I've gone as far as cleaning the house and car just to find a few empty cans, most of them were dry as dust and only had a pinch left. but when you need a dip, you aint all that proud.

don't worry too much about people who dip being all that picky. go with Copenhagen in the freezer, move it to a ziplock if the power is gonna be out for an extended time. even if it's all dry and nasty don't throw it out, someone will still want it.

I know from personal experience that this is true

I've never tried cold storing logs of snuff, I go through them too fast.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
We had US Tobacco sponsor a party back in college.  Since I organized it, I walked away with a case (90 cans).  I kept them in the freezer.  Dipping about 3 cans/week the last can was still as fresh as the first, roughly 30 weeks later.

Link Posted: 7/8/2008 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We had US Tobacco sponsor a party back in college.  Since I organized it, I walked away with a case (90 cans).  I kept them in the freezer.  Dipping about 3 cans/week the last can was still as fresh as the first, roughly 30 weeks later.

I wish I could cut back to that
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#9]
As i previously posted, in a SHTF situation when the Cope Runs out I might as well be a gonner.
I keep a roll on hand always, but think how much youd dip if it was a true SHTF situaton, a could use up a roll in a matter of days if stressed.

I remeber seeing copenhagen ( snuff ) in plastic cans way back when in Hawaii and Mexico, I wish theyd put the snuff in a plastic cans here too , it would keep so much longer than the regular tin!

I might try that plastic bag idea.

Oh and when desperate, a little H20 rehydrates Cope nicely as im sure most of you know!
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
As i previously posted, in a SHTF situation when the Cope Runs out I might as well be a gonner.
I keep a roll on hand always, but think how much youd dip if it was a true SHTF situaton, a could use up a roll in a matter of days if stressed.

I remeber seeing copenhagen ( snuff ) in plastic cans way back when in Hawaii and Mexico, I wish theyd put the snuff in a plastic cans here too , it would keep so much longer than the regular tin!

Oh and when desperate, a little H20 rehydrates Cope nicely as im sure most of you know!
i use Silverado and it comes in plastic cans but its a pouch type.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I like to use a little Rye Whiskey to hydrate Dry RedMan
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]

I like to use a little Rye Whiskey to hydrate Dry RedMan

Now that might be just damed clever.I would never have thought of that.I don't chew or dip enough for it to make a poll.It is what it is. Jim
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Cut leaf tobacco like Red Man lasts a couple of years, even after being opened.  I usually have a pouch left over in my 4 wheeler or snow machine and it's always good.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a friend who used to go through quite a bit of the crap. He would buy 15-20 logs at a time and freeze them. he hated cope because of the container made it too easy to dry up. He would get something in a solid plastic case like Kodiak or something similar. He said it wouldnt dry out and lasted much longer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info guys.I think I'm going to buy 1 can of cope,1 of kodiak,1 of skoal,and 1 redman for the freezer,and for ziploc bags.In true arfcom fashion,I'll give them all a 6 month taste test and pass my findings on to you guys.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a few tins of cope in my freezer for about three years and it was still good but that could be cause it was Formeldhagon!! It was the dip that we could buy in Iraq and we where told that it had formaldehyde in it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I chew skoal longcut now since I hate the cans that cope come in.

About the freezing though, I accidently left a can of skoal in our freezer at work and took it out a month later and it was still good even after being opened.

If I do get cope I put it in a skoal can so it stays fresh longer. A couple drops of Bourbon does work pretty good to give it moisture and taste pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I dont know but I smoked Vietnam era c ration cigarettes in the late 80's
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#19]
The cancer it causes lasts forever...

AC
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I've kept tins in "cigar jars" for years and they were fine.  These are those air-tight kitchen jars but have a humidifier (sponge) in them.

Alternatively, why not seal the logs in mylar bags?
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I have stored many types of dip in the freezer and they were all fine but my experience was typically a month or so.  Let the Cope warm to room temp before snapping the can or you will bust up the wax.  It has been ten years since I have dipped, it is still in wax lined cardboard cans right?

When I was deployed to Saudi I played roller hockey with a dentist that showed me some pics of mouth cancer, I quit that day.  Every time I find someones new cancer I thank the good dentist for turning me straight.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Yup its still in the cardboard and wax tins.

Congrats for quiting. I've been cutitng back drastically since last month and hope to quit by this month.
Top Top