Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 1:31:11 PM EDT
I have a few different fly rods but my lightest weight is a 9' 5 weight.  I have been giving strong consideration to picking up a 3 weight 7.5 ft (or so) soft-medium action rod for primarily dry flies (or single nymphs).

I have access to more small streams than large ones where a 20' cast is about all you can manage in the best of circumstances.  Naturally the streams are often overcast by low branches and other obstructions.  the fish are much more likely to be 1 foot or less in length than over a foot, but I don't want to admit that.

If you have a 3 weight (or something similar) do you often use it or is it a white elephant?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll preface this with, I was a fly fishing guide for many years on large western blue ribbon rivers and still am on the water a LOT, so I probably use my gear more than the average person.

That said, I have a 3 wt Redington Butterstick and I use it anytime I fish small dries.  I even use it when I'm fishing hoppers because I love how well it casts.  It's an absolute blast when you hook into a pig too, but I probably wouldn't fish for larger fish with it unless you have a boat and can "chase" down fish.  It just doesn't have the backbone to man-handle some large trout (14"+) from the bank or when wading.  If you have a boat though, you can run them all over the place.

As far as small creeks go, I wouldn't take anything OTHER than my 3 wt.  It's just too much fun and reminds me why I got into the sport.  If you have some specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll preface this with, I was a fly fishing guide for many years on large western blue ribbon rivers and still am on the water a LOT, so I probably use my gear more than the average person.

That said, I have a 3 wt Redington Butterstick and I use it anytime I fish small dries.  I even use it when I'm fishing hoppers because I love how well it casts.  It's an absolute blast when you hook into a pig too, but I probably wouldn't fish for larger fish with it unless you have a boat and can "chase" down fish.  It just doesn't have the backbone to man-handle some large trout (14"+) from the bank or when wading.  If you have a boat though, you can run them all over the place.

As far as small creeks go, I wouldn't take anything OTHER than my 3 wt.  It's just too much fun and reminds me why I got into the sport.  If you have some specific questions, feel free to PM me.
View Quote
Thanks!

Many of our streams have native brookies in them that are often 7-10".  They require bushwacking to get to and some ridiculous casts at times (one hand half-ass roll cast while hugging the boulder trying not to snag the overhanging branch but not sending it so far to snag it on the submerged log).

My casting is mediocre on a good day and I found that I can use a softer action rod much better than a fast action rod (the kind that seems to dominate the rod reviews).

I have had to learn to use midge flies that are usually 20-24 size in order to get any interest from the native brook trout.

If I hook a monster Brown trout with my 3 weight I will just have to cry about the one that got away I guess.  It will get bigger and bigger every time I tell the story about it, of course.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a fiberglass 3wt I use and also a 1wt that is awesome for some of the tiny creeks we have here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Built a nice little 7'6" 2 wt ( I went 2, 4, 6, and 8 wts)

It's a fun little rod.  I have not used it much though, never seem to have it handy when it would be time to use it.

My 4 wt is my go-to rod unless I'm fishing heavy weighted junk.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Many of our streams have native brookies in them that are often 7-10".  They require bushwacking to get to and some ridiculous casts at times (one hand half-ass roll cast while hugging the boulder trying not to snag the overhanging branch but not sending it so far to snag it on the submerged log).

My casting is mediocre on a good day and I found that I can use a softer action rod much better than a fast action rod (the kind that seems to dominate the rod reviews).

I have had to learn to use midge flies that are usually 20-24 size in order to get any interest from the native brook trout.

If I hook a monster Brown trout with my 3 weight I will just have to cry about the one that got away I guess.  It will get bigger and bigger every time I tell the story about it, of course.
View Quote
Many of my favorite streams are small native Brooke streams, a 10" fish is a really nice fish and a 14" brookie might be the trophy of the year or might never be encountered. Most are tight, with little casting room. If I'm fairly certain I'm only going to be using dry flies I use a 6'11" medium fast to fast 3wt. If I am unsure what the day will bring I use a 7'6" medium fast 4wt, which can handle small tungsten weighted nymps.

I have caught some pretty big trout on the 4wt on bigger water, and some 20"+ trout on a 9' 4wt on tailwaters or spring creeks, even using 6 or 7x tippet. It just takes a willingness to give and not to horse the fish, imo, and some luck with the weeds in spring creeks.

Back to the 3wt or 4wt small stream rods, they are a pleasure to use rather than a heavier line weight or longer rod. It is possible to be more accurate with a faster rod than a slower rod but a slower rod is easier to throw weighted nymphs with for a given wt line. So, medium to medium fast is a good middle ground, imo.

I would suggest trying size 16 and 18 Royal Wulffs and yellow and red Humpys for small stream brookies. I think the Royal Wulffs look like ants to fish and the Wulff hackles makes them float well and easy to see. I think the Humpys look like beetles to fish, and their heavy hackle and hair wings give them good floatations and visibility too. I use clippers to trim the bottom of the hackles on both the Royal Wulffs and Humpys so they ride upright better, with their bodies closer to or in the surface film.

Size 16 or 18 bead head cadis and Prince nymphs are my go to nupms for brookies.

I usually use 7x tippet for dries and usually 6x or 7x for nymphs for the most drag free floats and drifts. Learning to "puddle cast" where you don't finish the cast with a snap but bring the tip to the water so a pile of 7x lands near the fly helps gain a few moments of drag free diff in small pocket water where mending is tough.

Hope this helps,

JPK
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I fish several 3 weights. My primary fishing is the GSMNP and WNC. I fish medium to blueline sized streams.

My rods are:

Sage 389LL
Sage 379 VPS Light
Redington 386 CT
Orvis Superfine Carbon 376

The only caveat to fishing a 3 weight is the wind, but then again I am not making casts much longer than 20-25 feet or so, with most being in the 15 feet and closer. I also have several 4 weights but the 3 is my go to.

ETA: My primary flies used are dry/dropper combos. I adjust my flies to the season. OP, there should be be hatch charts for your area on the internet.

Also, all of my 3 weights are medium action rods. In the type of streams I fish they load better than a fast action rod and with the softer tip I don't break off as many as a fast action will with a trout set.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all,

I am looking forward to getting my 3wt rig.  I appreciate the recommendations for flies that you have found productive!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks all,

I am looking forward to getting my 3wt rig.  I appreciate the recommendations for flies that you have found productive!
View Quote
Fly choice will vary as to location and time of the year.

This may be of help as well.

http://www.perfectflystore.com/waters.html

A great forum with more traffic for fly fishing conversation is here:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fly choice will vary as to location and time of the year.

This may be of help as well.

http://www.perfectflystore.com/waters.html

A great forum with more traffic for fly fishing conversation is here:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php
View Quote
Thanks- I was only looking for more reasons to acquire more flies.  I have no idea how many I have already, but that three-legged Tarantula Hawk imitation with Maribou flash looks like a must have.  

I am new to fly tying as well.  I have all the equipment to tie flies, but so far my results don't match the intended form.  I would settle for a broad Impressionist result, but instead my flies are more Cubist or even outright Abstract.

I hope the trout like Jackson Pollock paintings.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the best rods you can find for the fishing you described would be a 6-6 1/2' 3 weight glass rod. If you are roll casting a lot load it with a 4wt and you will smile the whole time. My 2 favorite small stream rods are my 7'9" 2wt Winston and a now retired 6' 4wt Partridge Bamboo rod. I also use a 4wt Reddington glass rod for the stonefly hatch. A 3 wt glass rod would rock your situation.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One of the best rods you can find for the fishing you described would be a 6-6 1/2' 3 weight glass rod. If you are roll casting a lot load it with a 4wt and you will smile the whole time. My 2 favorite small stream rods are my 7'9" 2wt Winston and a now retired 6' 4wt Partridge Bamboo rod. I also use a 4wt Reddington glass rod for the stonefly hatch. A 3 wt glass rod would rock your situation.
View Quote
Cool- I have been looking at maps of small mountain ponds and streams in the White Mountains here in NH.  The Saco river along Route 302 has some of those beautiful pools with cold water that holds Brook trout even in the hottest time of the summer.

I have to figure out how to come down with a temporary case of Ebola so I can sneak out of work to set forward this evil plan.

When I was in Yellowstone last year some of the most fun I had was sneaking around on Gibbon Meadows and plopping in my line on wary (!) brown trout lurking in undercut banks.

I got busted a few times when the trout would start to rise on my fly and then spot me.  They gave me the classic fish eye and sank back down into their lairs.

Up close and personal is my favorite type of fishing I have done so far...even though I have had limited success at it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Fishing like that will help you build a much better understanding of what the trout want to see, and not see. Watch and learn and your catch rate will go up. You are right about how fun that is. More like bow hunting than rifle hunting, up close and personal.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fishing like that will help you build a much better understanding of what the trout want to see, and not see. Watch and learn and your catch rate will go up. You are right about how fun that is. More like bow hunting than rifle hunting, up close and personal.
View Quote
I wish we had more clear water streams in the Northeast. I hear there are some limestone streams/rivers in Pennsylvania.

Here the water is usually stained by tannin from leaves.  It is like fishing in ice tea.  I couldn't believe the crystal waters in Yellowstone/Wyoming.  

It is a real thrill to see the fish!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up a 3 wt rod and reel, but I have not used it yet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wish we had more clear water streams in the Northeast. I hear there are some limestone streams/rivers in Pennsylvania.

Here the water is usually stained by tannin from leaves.  It is like fishing in ice tea.  I couldn't believe the crystal waters in Yellowstone/Wyoming.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But remember, those fish see you also. I fish a lot in the Smokies and unless there's been a heavy rain, the water is gin clear. It makes it much tougher and stealth is the key. I can't tell you how many people I have seen or talked to who fish the Smokies and get skunked. Then again wading up the middle of a river wearing neon colors explains it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But remember, those fish see you also. I fish a lot in the Smokies and unless there's been a heavy rain, the water is gin clear. It makes it much tougher and stealth is the key. I can't tell you how many people I have seen or talked to who fish the Smokies and get skunked. Then again wading up the middle of a river wearing neon colors explains it.
View Quote
Yea, I can often tell when I have been made.  Usually from a ballerina-like move where I slide off a rock and splash into the pool.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yea, I can often tell when I have been made.  Usually from a ballerina-like move where I slide off a rock and splash into the pool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the Smokies it doesn't even take that much. A rod tip flashing over a rock or end of the pool, etc.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In the Smokies it doesn't even take that much. A rod tip flashing over a rock or end of the pool, etc.
View Quote
What part of the Smokies are you from?  I was born in Kingsport, TN.  We used to go up to the Smokies to camp back in the early 70s.  

For some reason, though, I never thought about fishing in the Smokies.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What part of the Smokies are you from?  I was born in Kingsport, TN.  We used to go up to the Smokies to camp back in the early 70s.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I say Smokies, I'm referring the GSMNP proper. I live about 40 minutes from the park.

My family had a cabin in Elkmont inside the GSMNP for many years. I grew up fishing there, that's where I learned. I still fish the park 60 or more days a year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I say Smokies, I'm referring the GSMNP proper. I live about 40 minutes from the park.

My family had a cabin in Elkmont inside the GSMNP for many years. I grew up fishing there, that's where I learned. I still fish the park 60 or more days a year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Neat.  

Any 3wt fly lines that float your boat?  I was considering the Royal Wulff triangle taper or perhaps a Rio Gold.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Neat.  

Any 3wt fly lines that float your boat?  I was considering the Royal Wulff triangle taper or perhaps a Rio Gold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neat.  

Not all lines fit all rods. The best fly line for your specific rod will vary from some other 3 weight rod most likely. Some rods prefer true to weight lines, some prefer lines that are a bit heavy from standard.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not all lines fit all rods. The best fly line for your specific rod will vary from some other 3 weight rod most likely. Some rods prefer true to weight lines, some prefer lines that are a bit heavy from standard.
View Quote
Ah, I see. The rod I am leaning towards now is the TFO Finesse.  I have read that the triangle taper line is good for roll casting, which I do a good deal of.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ah, I see. The rod I am leaning towards now is the TFO Finesse.  I have read that the triangle taper line is good for roll casting, which I do a good deal of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Finesse is a medium action rod, just about all of mine are as well. For my type of fishing and my casting style, a medium action is better for me.

That being said, Rio Gold should do well. However, my favorite is now AirFlo Super Dri Elite. I have several of theses lines and they are Super on these rods. I have both the WF and DT versions, but prefer the DT. I do a lot of roll casting and they do well.

Wulff lines are supposed to be really good lines, you just don't see many of them. They are harder to find.

I have a friend that has a lawn cast only TFO Finesse 3 weight for sale. His is the 8'9" length. If you're interested, he will make you a deal on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Finesse is a medium action rod, just about all of mine are as well. For my type of fishing and my casting style, a medium action is better for me.

That being said, Rio Gold should do well. However, my favorite is now AirFlo Super Dri Elite. I have several of theses lines and they are Super on these rods. I have both the WF and DT versions, but prefer the DT. I do a lot of roll casting and they do well.

Wulff lines are supposed to be really good lines, you just don't see many of them. They are harder to find.

I have a friend that has a lawn cast only TFO Finesse 3 weight for sale. His is the 8'9" length. If you're interested, he will make you a deal on it.
View Quote
Thanks for the offer, but I have my heart set on the shorter 7' 9" version.  

I will put the AirFLo lines on my list.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem.

On the AirFlo, make sure it is the Super Dri Elite. They make several other Super Dri lines and they are all different for different action rods.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I picked up a Sage Vantage 7'6" 3 wt a couple years back on EBay. It is great fun for fishing the stock tanks & bayous around here for small bass & perch. So long as you understand its limitations, you'll enjoy it. Of course, my wife landed a 7 lb largemouth with a 9' 3 wt last summer, so what do I know?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a couple three weights.  My first I got many years ago as my first "good" graphite rod, a loomis.  It cast really nice and was fun to fish, until a defect at the male ferrule (crack) showed up, after a season or two of fishing .  Loomis replaced it with a new rod, but it wasn't the same.  It seemed to do best with a double taper.
Later I got a Winston 3 piece and have used that on smaller streams.  Nice for packing in luggage too.    I like the way the old Winstons cast - the ones with the spigot ferrules.  I don't know about their newer ones, as I haven't bought a new fly rod in maybe 8 years at least.
I built a bamboo rod at a class at the fly fishing museum in Livingston NY about ten years ago.  It will cast a 3 to 5 weight line, but does best I think with a 4.  Its a 7.5' rod based on the old  Heddon black beauty taper.  It is by far my favorite rod now, unless I am fishing streams or rivers where there may be some big fish, or heavy nymphs and streamers will be the main flies.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Ive got a 7.5' 4 weight  carbon and just got a fiberglass 7' 4wt that I havent used yet.

Definitely for dry stuff and I fish small streams in general in western SD.  

I was out there last week and was fishing dry flies with my 6wt. Not much of a fight with small browns.  Wish I had my fiberglass rigged as it would have been way more fun.

Do it
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#30]
My small stream rod is a Scott F2 7'6 fiberglass 4wt. Great for tight quarters, small fish dry fly action.

J-
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks all for the responses!

I have been catching small brookies and random bass on my 3wt this summer so far.

The rod really works for what I wanted it for- popping in small dry flies under branches.

The fish have not been big so far but they have been numerous, which is A-OK in my book!

I found a 4 wt Greys GR10 at a yard sale (8ft) that I overloaded with a 5wt line and it has been a laser for me.  I lucked into a stonefly hatch (the big ones) up in the Magalloway River in Maine a few weeks ago that had me running back to the truck for more flies.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Just added a new rod to the stable.  9' 5 wt Loomis NRX.  I had a chance to use it a bit this past weekend, very nice.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just added a new rod to the stable.  9' 5 wt Loomis GRX.  I had a chance to use it a bit this past weekend, very nice.
View Quote
I bet you have some sweet rivers to choose from.

Here in New Hampshire the water is heating up to the point the trout get sluggish and start to go deep, find a spring hole, or just plain croak (Brookies if they get too warm- stocked fish).

The Browns and Rainbows do a lot better.  The best chances we have to find cool water are bottom release dams (hydro power), which means a lot of driving North.  I can also hike up to some ponds/streams in the White Mountains that hold trout year round.  

I have been catching smallmouth bass closer to home and they are fun and put up a good fight.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Our water temps are on the increase.  They will implement 'hoot owl' rules here shortly I'm afraid.   They ask you not fish if the temps hit 70, but they will close rivers and streams if they need to.

I was in the area of The Big Hole river last weekend - they have implemented hoot owl on the upper stretches - no fishing from 2 pm till midnight.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Our water temps are on the increase.  They will implement 'hoot owl' rules here shortly I'm afraid.   They ask you not fish if the temps hit 70, but they will close rivers and streams if they need to.

I was in the area of The Big Hole river last weekend - they have implemented hoot owl on the upper stretches - no fishing from 2 pm till midnight.
View Quote
That is really interesting.  I didn't know they would close rivers due to water temps.

The fishing regulations vary so much state to state that it is bewildering.  Maine gives you a list of rules that resembles a small phonebook.  NH restricts certain sections of rivers to fly fish only, closes fishing in October in some rivers, etc.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Fished the Blackfoot river yesterday with the new 5 wt.  It's awesome.

My reflexes however, not so much.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fished the Blackfoot river yesterday with the new 5 wt.  It's awesome.

My reflexes however, not so much.
View Quote
I am no ballerina.  I lost most of the ice racing screws I put into my wading boots, a fact I discovered by doing a face plant in the Androscoggin River in northern NH a few weeks ago.  I nailed the landing at least.  I got to my feet with a bit of water running down the front of my waders, then fell backwards and dunked the back.  My wife witnessed this, unfortunately.  She did not ask if I was ok, but instead yelled "DO IT AGAIN!".

As for my reflexes when it comes to hooking the fish at the right time and in the right direction it is a hit or miss affair.  When you get on a landlocked salmon here they do this acrobatic leap and twist movement that is like a PBR rodeo bull.

I land few of the landlocked salmon I hook.  I have been told you have to "bow to the king" and lower your rod tip when they do their leaping shenanigans.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#38]
If you really want to mess with you mind, do like I've done at times. Throw an 8 wt (or 10 wt) all day in saltwater and the next morning, pick up your 7'6" 3 wt to throw at bream and small bass!  I've done it more than a few times and it's always "entertaining".
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you really want to mess with you mind, do like I've done at times. Throw an 8 wt (or 10 wt) all day in saltwater and the next morning, pick up your 7'6" 3 wt to throw at bream and small bass!  I've done it more than a few times and it's always "entertaining".
View Quote
I just came back from Florida last week and was out with the 9wt all day everyday gen switched to my 6wt with hopper droppers this week on tight streams.

The trees collected their share
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I went up to the headwaters of the Connecticut river and there the 3wt really came into its own.  The trout were tiny (biggest I caught was a 10" brook) and the river (stream at that point) was choked with overhanging alders.

I had a hoot catching the wee trout!

I then caught a good Brown trout on a grasshopper imitation much lower in the river system (below the bottom release Murphy dam- 54 degree water).  August is often called "junk food season" around here as you just don't know what the trout want.  The water temps and oxygen levels lead to them going sluggish.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#41]
3wt is all you need for small dries. Glass gives a particularly accurate, soft presentation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've used a Sage SP 9' 3wt (with Laserline) almost exclusely for the past 15 years. I like 1-wt's for tiny (step over) streams, and 5 wt's for big rivers/lakes.

I'm also a big fan of 8x tippett and size 18-24 dries.
View Quote
I have had results with my size 20-24 midge imitations.  I don't know why anything would think that is worth the effort, though.

How many calories is in midge?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have had results with my size 20-24 midge imitations.  I don't know why anything would think that is worth the effort, though.

How many calories is in midge?
View Quote
If you ever clean a trout check the stomach contents. Something like 80% of what they eat is tiny stuff. Mainly because there are a 1,000 times more of them than the big meals. With that said, I am suffering from CSS, can't see shit, so I avoid the tiny stuff. Fortunately, for our fish tiny equals size 16. There is almost 0 chance I could land a 12 lb steelhead on a size 20 midge, thank god!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you ever clean a trout check the stomach contents. Something like 80% of what they eat is tiny stuff. Mainly because there are a 1,000 times more of them than the big meals. With that said, I am suffering from CSS, can't see shit, so I avoid the tiny stuff. Fortunately, for our fish tiny equals size 16. There is almost 0 chance I could land a 12 lb steelhead on a size 20 midge, thank god!
View Quote
I never thought of checking stomach contents- DOH.

I do check the craw of the grouse I shoot in the fall to see what they have been eating.  I will have to do more messing about with fish guts!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I do check the craw of the grouse I shoot in the fall to see what they have been eating.  I will have to do more messing about with fish guts!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is also a way to check stomach contents without killing the fish, for those wanting or having c&r regs.

https://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/fish-stomach-pump.html
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There is also a way to check stomach contents without killing the fish, for those wanting or having c&r regs.

https://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/fish-stomach-pump.html
View Quote

That is too cool.  My kid would totally be on board with this plan.

"Hold the trout.  We're gonna make him barf."

Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought an Echo-3 3wt this past Spring and it's an absolute delight to cast. Very well made rod for the money. One thing I haven't done is load it with my 4wt line to see how it roll-casts.. something I plan on trying a bit later this month. 
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Ahh,
the glorious 3 weight rod !

I have 4 of them for my area and creeks.
(Shenandoah National Park and Monongahela National Forest and George Washington National Forest)

1.Lamiglas Appalachian Trail 6'9" 3 pc.

2.G.Loomis Streamdance Metolius 7'0" 3 pc.

3.White River Classic IM7 6'6" 3pc.  (beater/let buddy use it rod)

4.Handmade by a buddy on BRFF a 6'0" 3pc. with a "fast tip" action for tight stuff.
Made from Spin rod blanks.
Gave me a reel spooled too,with a furled leader,and SA Stealth flyline.
Gratis.

Tight lines mates
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#50]
IF anyone here is interested I have in my possession a brand new St. Croix Imperial Graphite 2 piece "IF 7023" 25TH Anniversary rod/case. It`s a beauty that`s perfect for small stream fishing. I found it in Penn. at a "discovery" auction and would be willing to let it go. It has a great feel and has never had a reel mounted on it. PM me if interested otherwise off to EBAY it goes. I can send pics etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top