Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2016 8:52:37 PM EDT
Last year I fished with a guy that is a big fan of tippet rings.    I've never used them, but like the idea of reducing cuts and reties on the leader. However,  I am cautious about adding a metal ring although the ones he had were pretty small.  

I am typically using 5x leader in small NC rivers with 5 or 6x tippet.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you learn to tie a surgeons knot you won't be asking this question.

There are a dozen ways to loose a fish and knots are at the top of the list. One surgeons is far superior to 2 of any other knots. Each knot you tie increases likelihood of failure.

JMHO after 35 years of trying everything...
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#2]
For the last 2 years I have gone to furled leaders with a tippet ring. I use tippet of 5x, 6x and even 6.5x and have no problems whatsoever. The tippet rings I use are 2 mm in size.

I was going through several leader packs a season as I fish 70-80 days a year. I was using a surgeons knot but I was also getting many more wind knots until I went to furled leaders and I am spending less.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, what areas do you fish in NC?

I am in TN, but fish quite a bit in WNC. Pisgah NF, Smokies, etc.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  

I can do the surgeons knot...I seem to be retying a lot since I am relatively new to fly fishing and tend to make a mess in wind or tight cover.  Now I get how my son must feel when I take him bass fishing and we spend half our time retying and getting unstuck.  

I was hoping using the ring might reduce the frequency of replacing the leader.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The Mitchell River and a tributary to the South Fork of the New River in Ashe County.  As mentioned above....I am relatively new to fly fishing.   I tend to bass fish more since it's what I know and is close by....typically on the Yadkin river lakes.

I am digging fly fishing....primarily the lack of a need for a boat and the quiet!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  

I can do the surgeons knot...I seem to be retying a lot since I am relatively new to fly fishing and tend to make a mess in wind or tight cover.  Now I get how my son must feel when I take him bass fishing and we spend half our time retying and getting unstuck.  

I was hoping using the ring might reduce the frequency of replacing the leader.
View Quote

Checkout going to furled leaders. The last very long and all you need is tippet.

Cutthroat and Streamside are two I use. They also float better as you can add payette paste to them. The rings float as well, contrary to popular belief.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Mitchell River and a tributary to the South Fork of the New River in Ashe County.  As mentioned above....I am relatively new to fly fishing.   I tend to bass fish more since it's what I know and is close by....typically on the Yadkin river lakes.

I am digging fly fishing....primarily the lack of a need for a boat and the quiet!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You fish a bit further north than I do. I am mostly in Haywood, Swain, Transylvania and McDowell counties.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You fish a bit further north than I do. I am mostly in Haywood, Swain, Transylvania and McDowell counties.
View Quote

Awesome area....I have done a bit of camping and hiking over that way, but no fishing thus far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top