Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2017 9:54:35 PM EDT
I'm looking at a 1989 19' Bayliner Capri with a 125 Force inboard motor in it. I've searched the googles and only found a few post online saying they are expensive to get parts for. Can anyone provide me more info on this engine? The boat is in great shape from what I have seen on the pictures, is under $3k, but  has been for sale for almost a month. Is this motor just that carptastic?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
19' bayliner with a direct drive?...wtf?

eta: i think of force Outboards as cheap mercs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
It's a outboard motor, but mounted as an inboard/outboard set up. From what I have found, it's called an L-drive.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking at a 1989 19' Bayliner Capri with a 125 Force inboard motor in it. I've searched the googles and only found a few post online saying they are expensive to get parts for. Can anyone provide me more info on this engine? The boat is in great shape from what I have seen on the pictures, is under $3k, but  has been for sale for almost a month. Is this motor just that carptastic?
View Quote

I was a Mercury dealer for 13 years. Don't. The Force became a decent basic motor, it started out as a Chrysler. Mercury beefed up the ignition because the Chrysler ignition was point and condenser stuff, they made it solid state. That's it ! No other technology upgrades, those went to Mercury/Mariner.

The L drive was an attempt to build a cheap, lite weight Mercruiser with a two stroke.

Bayliners are cheaply built mass produced boats. I would look for a reputable builder with outboard power.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was a Mercury dealer for 13 years. Don't. The Force became a decent basic motor, it started out as a Chrysler. Mercury beefed up the ignition because the Chrysler ignition was point and condenser stuff, they made it solid state. That's it ! No other technology upgrades, those went to Mercury/Mariner.

The L drive was an attempt to build a cheap, lite weight Mercruiser with a two stroke.

Bayliners are cheaply built mass produced boats. I would look for a reputable builder with outboard power.
View Quote
this.  always outboard unless you need a tow boat....then V-Drive, or Direct Drive if you only Ski
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Do not buy an "L" drive. If a Force outboard isn't bad enough, don't punish yourself with an L drive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't buy a Force motor if you have a swear jar, unless you want to fill it up quickly.

I had the misfortune of stupidly buying a boat with a Force 125 on it.  Think of a 1980 Chrysler K car 4 cylinder engine that has been put in water.  The only way it could have been worse is if Lucas was allowed to do the wiring.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna pass and just spend a little more money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top