Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2017 11:10:48 AM EDT
If your outboard has a tilt and trim unit exercise the release valve periodically. Just trim motor up and flip down the storage latch and back out the release valve a couple/3 turns then tighten it back up. That's it, done. I would do this every 6 months.

I just totally rebuilt my 14 year old T@T unit on one of my rigs. Getting the release valve out was a job because it was never "Exercised" . What a PITA, I had to drill into it and use a EZout, kroll and a torch to get it out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What type/brand/hp is your motor?

To be honest, I don't know where the release valve is on my 90hp four stroke Yamaha.

I will have to do some research to find it and see if I can loosen and tighten it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What type/brand/hp is your motor?

To be honest, I don't know where the release valve is on my 90hp four stroke Yamaha.

I will have to do some research to find it and see if I can loosen and tighten it.
View Quote

Engine? '03 J50PLSTD Johnson.

Look in the hole on the port motor mount. See the cir-clip and slot for a screwdriver? That's it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I say leave it alone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I say exercise it yearly at least. If mine had been it would not have been stuck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Saltwater?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top