Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 6:09:28 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone is into bow fishing. I just bought a reel mount to put a closed face reel on my old compound bow. I really only get a chance to hunt gun season so I figured I'd put the bow to use down here. I know I still need an arrow, arrow rest, and some other stuff. What do you guys use for sights? Standard pin sights?

The bow is an old Buckmaster I got on Craigslist for like $60 years ago and learned to shoot on.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an AMS Fish Hawk kit.  I don't use sights.  I've just got a feel for it.  Water has variables you don't deal with just shooting through the air.  Depth, clarity, angle will all affect the amount of refraction you need to compensate for.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I take my bow when I go to the beach and have shot several stingrays.  They are a blast to shoot and can put up a really good fight.  I don't use sights.  After you shoot a bit, you really get the feel of it and just pull and release without even aiming.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
You eat stingrays?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You eat stingrays?
View Quote

I don't. I cut them up and use them for shark bait. It's like candy for sharks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#5]
So I got the reel mounted, but I still need to spool it and get an arrow.

My buddy showed me a couple bows he has but never used. A recurve, a kids bow with finger tabs. Damn I wish I had that instead. Oh well.

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Forget the salt water. if you want lots of action and practice go and walk the canals. Tilapia and Gar everywhere.  I used to keep my bow in my backseat and when work was slow I'd just pick a canal and shoot the fuck out of the Gar. 

Lots of invasive fish to shoot as well. I used to shoot a ton of cichlids and Plecostomus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top