Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2017 8:33:03 PM EDT
Post your simple and inexpensive tips related to camping & outdoors...

Here is one I came up with today...
I have a Cabela's Pot and love it but the one problem is that the handle gets very hot, especially if used over a fire or gas stove.

The idea I came up with today was to use some silicone tape that I use to water proof HAM Radio antenna connections.
Its specs say it will withstand up to 500 Degrees.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSXAH06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wrapped it around the handle and it works great. Only gets warm and easier to pickup too...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!

I am always trying to simplify more and more when we car camp..  

Some people like to bring a whole store aisles worth of cooking gear.. and then have to clean it all after breakfast and dinner.. screw that.  I go camping to relax, not run a restaurant.  We usually go with a cold breakfast or one you pour hot water into, cold cut sandwhices for lunch, and do single pot(dutch oven), single pan, or foil pouch on coals dinner.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Crack 2-3 eggs into a zip-lock bag. Add what ever omelet ingredients you like. Smoosh it all together and get all the air possible out of the bag.
Make one of these for each person per day for breakfast.
When you put coffee water on to boil add your "scromelets" to the pot, bag & all.
When the coffee's ready so are the eggs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Put on fresh clothes before going to bed!

Thick handkerchiefs make useful pot holders and much more!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Use sand socks for camp shoes. They weigh nothing, can ball up into a tiny pack space, have enough tread to protect your feet, and cost $9 on Amazon.

If you're backpacking with a group, someone should bite the bullet and bring a 6x8 or larger "community tarp." It's nice to have a dry spot for the group to hang out if it's rainy.

Wear lightweight gaiters and soak them in permethrin. Keeps the crap out of your shoes and ticks off of you. Dirt cheap on Amazon.

Always use a lid and wind guard when boiling water, even if it's just heavy tin foil. Those 2 items make the biggest difference in stove efficiency.

Attach a small carabiner to your bear bag line, and tie a small loop in both ends of the line. Clip one end to your belt loop when you're tossing your line over a branch. No chance of it getting hung up out of your reach, and you can just clip the loops together when it's not in use so it can't fall out of the tree.

Carry something to sit on, like a square of plastic or old foam pad.

Put a stripe of bright paint on small, neutral colored items (sporks, cups, knives, binoc cases, etc.). They have a tendency to vanish when they hit the ground otherwise.

It's easy to rig up a gravity-feed water filtration system that can feed back directly into your camelbak's drinking tube. Sawyer mini, evernew bag, a bit of hose, and an adapter kit from camelbak. You can refill your bag without taking it out of your pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top