Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2017 7:20:58 AM EDT
After taking her for an afternoon bath in the river, we were walking home when I noticed a 2 foot long snake on the road.  Scanning for the tail, I determined it was a bull snake.  After walking past it, I called the dog over to me and she trotted right over it, ignorant of its presence.  This is not the first time I've seen her totally oblivious to a snake's presence.  Thankfully we've never come across any rattlers and I did see one just the other day.  She does have her rattler shot from the vet so she should be OK if she is ever bitten.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
My dog is in the same boat.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

This pup is happy and puppy fat.   Could be a blessing he ignored the bull snake.  I had a adult golden go down to sniff on one and received a nip from the snake.  Didn't even break the skin.  I hope they would not do that to a rattler, but they are so rare on the western slope I have yet to see one in 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have to prod mine when we trail run lately.
She used to run my ragged.
Could just be the heat.....(Aussie shepherd).
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
A happy dog makes for a happy home!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My last Beagle had a nose for snakes and turtles
Didn't like either.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Time to walk the dog.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a rattler shot??!

Holy cow, I want to get that for my dog now just to be on the safe side. I suppose that only covers rattlesnake venom, though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, count your blessings. I have two pups that are absolutely retarded. Nature will weed them out before the year is up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Vet can give your dog anti-rattlesnake venom shots.  It starts with two shots (30 days apart) for the first year and then a booster thereafter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top