Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

More nitwit drivel...
View Quote
Not really, he's right and you're in this thread acting like your god's gift to hunting animals. Mountain Lions are thin skinned, medium sized (at best) game that lack the same bone density as Hogs or black bears. As with killing anything, penetration is key. 10mm 220 grain hard cast loads from BB or Underwood shot halfway decently into a mountain lion will wreck it's fucking world, and that's an overly stout round for a cat IMO. I'd prolly go with a 200 grain bonded JHP.

While the Mighty Ten is a bit light for Black/Brown Bears it's got a major following in Brown Bear country for a reason; 15 rounds, easier to shoot than big bore magnums, and it DOES possess enough ass to do the job. If Alaskan guides carry it for bears, it'll dispatch a mountain lion far easier.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Lionslayer doesn't want to hear it. He's made his mind up on what works and what doesn't. Despite others on here providing input. I've known people who've personally shot mountain lions and none had a issue killing the animals with less then 10mm calibers. Bear are tough for lots of calibers but again, I've known people who've killed them with less as well. I would prefer larger for bear, but 15 rounds of 10mm does have a legit amount of stopping power even for tough bears.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
To slightly sidetrack...

What's y'alls opinion on 40S&W vs feral hogs?

In my area feral hogs are the biggest 4-legged threat I'd be worried about. I've got a lot of experience carrying an M&P9c and competing with an M&P9, so picking up a M&P40c for camping is rather attractive.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To slightly sidetrack...

In my area feral hogs are the biggest 4-legged threat I'd be worried about. I've got a lot of experience carrying an M&P9c and competing with an M&P9, so picking up a M&P40c for camping is rather attractive.
View Quote
I'd carry a good bonded bullet and use it defensively only. I've shot pigs with .45's and had good luck with Winchester Ranger Bonded. .40 will likely perform very similar with it's better sectional density.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not really, he's right and you're in this thread acting like your god's gift to hunting animals. Mountain Lions are thin skinned, medium sized (at best) game that lack the same bone density as Hogs or black bears. As with killing anything, penetration is key. 10mm 220 grain hard cast loads from BB or Underwood shot halfway decently into a mountain lion will wreck it's fucking world, and that's an overly stout round for a cat IMO. I'd prolly go with a 200 grain bonded JHP.

While the Mighty Ten is a bit light for Black/Brown Bears it's got a major following in Brown Bear country for a reason; 15 rounds, easier to shoot than big bore magnums, and it DOES possess enough ass to do the job. If Alaskan guides carry it for bears, it'll dispatch a mountain lion far easier.
View Quote
As yet, we've heard only hearsay and speculation from "armchair experts", as best I can tell. Have any respondents got any actual experience of mountain lions killed with 10mm pistols? I'd even appreciate hearing the experience of those "hunters" who dispatch "trophies" bayed by hounds, at close range.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd carry a good bonded bullet and use it defensively only. I've shot pigs with .45's and had good luck with Winchester Ranger Bonded. .40 will likely perform very similar with it's better sectional density.
View Quote
180 and 230gr bullets have the same SD.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Do I win a prize for seeing two shot and killed in 2015 with a stock G20 and a G20 with a 6" LWD conversion or was I misled by my own eyes?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do I win a prize for seeing two shot and killed in 2015 with a stock G20 and a G20 with a 6" LWD conversion or was I misled by my own eyes?
View Quote
Two bears or two mountain lions?

What kind of ammo was used?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As yet, we've heard only hearsay and speculation from "armchair experts", as best I can tell. Have any respondents got any actual experience of mountain lions killed with 10mm pistols? I'd even appreciate hearing the experience of those "hunters" who dispatch "trophies" bayed by hounds, at close range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about YOU posting some proof to verify YOUR expertise as you demand others do? Or are you another armchair expert with a fancy screen name?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I would feel "adequately" armed with a .40s&w loaded with tough 180gr JHPs.

I've never shot a bear or cat but I have taken several deer and big hogs with .40 and 10mm. Anyone that says they are not suitable with proper bullets is a fool.

Really there's not that much difference between .40 and 10mm in killing power using JHPs. Were the 10mm shines is with heavy (200gr+) hardcast and full metal jacket.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Of the pistols you have I would go with the .45 ACP with a 230gr FMJ. For bear you will want penetration. Cats are easy to kill.
Check out the video below. Skip to the end of this video to watch Paul test some rounds for performance.
Click here...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Of the pistols you have I would go with the .45 ACP with a 230gr FMJ. For bear you will want penetration. Cats are easy to kill.
Check out the video below. Skip to the end of this video to watch Paul test some rounds for performance.
Click here...
View Quote
Had a buddy few years ago kill a big black bear. The bear was hit 3 times. twice with his 30-06 and once with a 300 Remington Ultra Mag of his hunting partner. When he walked up to check the bear, it charged him and he ended up dumping his 1911 into it. When all was said and done, he said he found a few of the 45 bullets had barely even penetrated the skin and were just under the fur. He said he has no idea how it didn't maul him seeing how poorly the 45 performed on the hide. He's still not sure what finished it off. Bear are much more durable and hardy then a cat or pig. Also have a much stronger will to live IMHO. I would use as much gun as I could handle with the stoutest louds the gun/I could handle when dealing with bear.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To slightly sidetrack...

View Quote
.40 works fine if you do your part.  One of my nuttier acquaintances used to hunt them by baiting them in then charging the herd with his G23.  I don't remember what ammo he was using at the time but he always killed multiple hogs.  He wore Chippewa snake boots but that was his only protective gear.  He moved on to close range spearing and knifing them after about a year of handgunning them.    I haven't talked to him in a few years so no idea if he still does it.  I've shot them with .357 before (from tree stands and while walking through the swamp), never any issues there either.  

As for the OP's question, I'd say he needs to hit the hunting forums, not GD for advice on hunting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I am in Florida. I feel fine with my glock 21 and 13 rounds of hard ball with me for blackie and kitty.  Southern extreme range of the species they are smaller.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Two mtn lions. Honestly no idea what either were shooting in terms of ammo.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top