Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2018 11:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452]
This may be a little out of place as my use is for hunting and more casual target shooting, but...

I've always been a Leupold guy, currently have Leupolds on most of the bolt guns that I actually use. Last month on a trip I stopped into a store intent on buying some binoculars in a bit of a hurry. I knew Vortex binos were popular. Compared just about every set of binos on the rack and in my opinion the set of Vortex Diamondback 10x42s I got blew the Leupolds (and most others) out of the water.

Now I'm wondering if I should be looking at Vortex offerings for my rifle scopes instead of Leupold as well. I see Vortex seems pretty popular here in the Precision forum, hardly any mentions of Leupold compared to Vortex. However most commentary also seems to be about scopes outside of my typical price range. If I'm looking at glass sub-$700, how do the Vortex offerings stack up against Leupold?

My use is for hunting and target shooting, most typically within 200 yards, rarely even out to 300 yards. Currently I spend the most time with my 6.5 Grendel bolt gun and more recently my new .300 BLK bolt gun.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:55:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jmo371] [#1]
as long as you compare apples to apples, Vortex makes very nice glass.  Viper series+ imho is whats worth the money for optics, and the PST at 800-1k is excellent.

edit: for that short of range the Viper HS/ HS-T would be excellent....right around 500$
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:04:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robpiat] [#3]
Leupold is overpriced for the glass quality and vortex is a lot of bang for the buck. Vortex is quick to update and innovate and as a result I have seen a decent amount of people sending them in for warranty.

If I was shooting for a living or to save people’s lives it would be a nightforce.

I don’t shoot for a living, don’t have a dangerous, job, and really appreciate bang for the buck so I have a sightron s-tac collection. I believe they are a sleeper if you don’t need ffp.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Since you're already a Leupold guy I would look at the VX-5 HD. Retail is $899 but it can be had for under $800.
I was ready to pull the trigger on a Vortex Viper HS-LR until a friend said I should look at the new Leupolds.
Tom
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to say leupold. There's a lot of guys on rifle forums on their 2nd and 3rd return to vortex.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

And plenty with none. If you think Leupold doesn't get plenty of scopes back you would be mistaken. Sent them back myself.
View Quote
Possible. You don’t see it near as much though. Seems like there’s a resin they mention their warranty so much. Your more likely to need it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Snaps:
I have to say leupold. There's a lot of guys on rifle forums on their 2nd and 3rd return to vortex.
View Quote
Over approximately a 12-13 year period I have sent back both of my leupolds..a 3.5x10x40 once for fogging, and a 4.5x14x50 mildot twice for the turret falling apart....meh..both are damn fine scopes..I also own 4 vortex scopes, 2 spotting scopes and 2 rifle scopes..one spotting scope went back for a cleaning...still worked fine, just felt after all these years it needed a good cleaning and purge...my latest scope buy(actually a gift from my son) is a gen 2 razor..4.5x27x56...but I haven't even gotten to shoot it yet...I think either brand is a good buy if the price is right...
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:08:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#10]
If the primary use is hunting, Leupold scopes are optimized for that role.  Hunting rifles are often carried significant distances in the field.  They are typically lighter than their Vortex counterpart, often waaaay lighter.  They also have hunting-specific lens coatings, designed to produce better contrast in the low light conditions of dawn and dusk when game are most active.  Leupold also offers a wide variety of reticles designed to work well for hunters, including their motion-activated Firedot reticles, among them the Firedot4, an illuminated version of the German #4, very popular world-wide for low light shooting and shooting at running game.

Vortex makes good scopes.  Their better ones tend to be tactical oriented.  They are heavy and tend to emphasize front focal plane reticle position and design (not good for typical hunting) and not optimized for hunting conditions.  A good argument can be made that Vortex tactical scopes are preferable to comparable Leupold scopes.  But, not so where deer/antelope/elk or other big game hunting is the mission.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:07:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Generally Vortex is gonna beat Leupold in terms of feature set in a dollar to dollar comparison.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies everyone. Starting to give that Razor some real thought.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
If vortex is so great why did cameraland drop them?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By johnnydog72:
If vortex is so great why did cameraland drop them?
View Quote
No idea. Nor would I ever base my optic decisions off what a camera store keeps in stock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Leupold seems to be dropping in quality while Vortex seems to be improving.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PA452:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Starting to give that Razor some real thought.
View Quote
I just got the 4.5-27x56 gen2 for x-mas..absolutely love it..sweet scope.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Own a few Leupolds, But my shooting buddy's Vortex is as good or better.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By airsix:
View Quote
Not according to reports I've seen on the Mark 5 HD lineup, a recent release...
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:52:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
If hunting then look at the Vortex hunting scopes. The Razor HD LH line. They are designed as a hunting scope.

http://vortexoptics.com/category/razor_hd_lh_riflescope

3-15x on sale at SWFA now. https://swfa.com/vortex-3-15x42-razor-hd-lh-rifle-scope-3.html
View Quote
Decided to give this scope a shot since it was on sale. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#23]
Originally Posted By airsix:
View Quote
Seems?  Quite a generalization.  Each company has many different product lines, price ranges, optical quality levels, intended purposes and features.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top