Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2017 12:51:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: foreman2000]
Looking to replace my factory savage hog hunter barrel.
I have a chance to buy a used savage 20" 5r with 200 to 250 rounds down it. Would it be worth 100.00 ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No. But I wouldn't be in the market for a pencil profile used barrel.

The big question becomes, why didn't they leave it on the rifle if it only had 200 rounds down the tube? Hunting rifles never have really high round counts anyways, but pulling a basically new barrel tells me that it was a disappointment to someone.

If you have an extra action laying around and just want to throw a hunting rig together than it may work for you. Don't be surprised if it's not a tack driver.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you missed the question.
I have a guy who shoots PRS he replaced his 20" factory 5r with a better stainless 24" the factory 5r has 200 to 250 rounds and was properly broke in.
I bought it today for 100.00 the replace my factory hog hunter barrel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never pulled a barrel unless it was disappointing me in some way or another. The fact that it has that number of rounds down it means he tried to get it to work, then gave up on it and replaced it.

Unless he documented the accuracy on it with a 5x5 group target, I would not expect great accuracy out of it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Your barrel is probably worth 50-75 dollars based on what I have seen in the classifieds on accurateshooter.com
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Im assuming he is like me and wont leave things alone. Mine shoots 1/4 moa @ 100 but i dont like it. i dont like the profile or the holes from the iron sights.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
I've never pulled a barrel unless it was disappointing me in some way or another. The fact that it has that number of rounds down it means he tried to get it to work, then gave up on it and replaced it.

Unless he documented the accuracy on it with a 5x5 group target, I would not expect great accuracy out of it.
View Quote
He is getting 1/4 moa with current bbl, shouldn't be a problem with the take-off bbl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top