Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 3:24:02 PM EDT
So I'm new to the precision rifle game and I'm having issues getting under 1 moa. The rifle is a Savage 12 lrp in 6.5 Creedmoor, I'm using Hornady 140 grain eld match ammo. I'm not new to rifle shooting,but this is my first bolt action. All of my groups are just over an inch or right at an inch at 100 yards. My question is how do I know if it's my technique or something is off with the rifle? I'm leaning toward my technique being the issue.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't have good results with any of the Hornady ammo. My worst reloads so far were twice as good as any flavor I tried. I am shooting a Tikka.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Every gun seems to have their own personality so you should shoot a few different brands and bullet weights and go from there. Everyone brags on how good Prime is especially in the aftermarket barrels but it shot the worst in mine. Federal American Eagle shoots the best. Both the 120 and 140 ELD Hornady were somewhere in the middle. You just have to experiment.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Factory ammo?  Usually pretty good if you can get close to an inch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
What about having someone else try shooting your rifle with that ammo? Or maybe try something like a lead sled? Take "you" out of the equation.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Gotta try more ammo.  Every rifle likes what it likes.  For me the Hornady Black 6.5CM 140gr BTHP shots as good or slightly better than the more expensive 140gr ELD-Match ammo.  Hovering around 1" with a factory gun and factory ammo is pretty good though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all...I guess my expectations were a little high..Hornady is really the only 6.5 CM ammo that the stores around here sell. I'll have to find a source for some other stuff until  I start reloading
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I spend about 6 hours a week at different ranges in the area. I see lots of LRP's. You are the first person I have heard of or seen that does not get good performance from their LRP. There is always a chance that something is wrong with the rifle or scope. Did you call Savage?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:50:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#9]
Like the others said.  Try some different ammo first.  A couple different kinds.  Match ammo.  And then try a different shooter.  

Really, 1 MOA and a little above, not the worst in the world for factory ammo, but it could probably do better with the right ammo.  

And then there is technique.  Could be something you're doing.  Or something you're not.  What type of rest are you using?  

Then there are other factors.  Has it been real windy?  How much magnification are you using?  Etc etc.  Would be nice if you knew someone in your area that you could take with to diagnose if you're stumped.  

But you may find it's just the ammo.   I would not trust the performance of just 1 kind of ammo to be the final say on how a rifle shoots.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The best I could muster was about 3/4 MOA 5-shot groups with Hornady 140gr ELD Match. All other weights of Hornady factory shot 1MOA or just over.

My handloads destroy Hornady factory ammo. Easily under 1/2 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards.

Savage 10FP with 24" 1:8" Shilen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't be quick to blame the rifle.  If it's your first bolt gun and you're new to precision rifle shooting, you should work on technique and try different types of ammo.  You're probably like me in that I was reading all of these forum posts where guys were shooting little tiny groups and wondering why I couldn't pick up a rifle and do the same thing.  I slowly came to realize that most of these guys have been shooting for awhile and it's a skill that has to be developed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
With Prime 130 grain and Hornady Precision Hunter 143grain ELDX, I'm getting dime sized groups at 100yards with the LRP. Great rifle.
May have to send it in for a check. Either that or have a friend shoot a 5 round group.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Went to the range today tried some different ammo with a little better results. I'm thinking that it's me. Best I got was 3/4 inch center to center with Hornady 147 grain ELD match. All others were right at an inch. They are getting smaller with each trip out so I'm ok with that.

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Good group.  You're heading in the right direction!  That's about as good as I've ever done, so.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like you are on the right track but I wanted to throw this out there. I ran across this and think I may go this route once I finally decide on my first "legit" bolt gun.  Not exactly cheap but it may help you bring down your great up size.

http://coppercreekammo.com/product/6-5-creedmoor-load-development-one/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top