Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2016 4:40:26 PM EDT
I bought a used LMT MWS a few years back, and it's been sitting until now. I finally decided to make it somewhat of a precision AR. Yes I know there are more accurate rifles out there, but it's what I've decided to work with.

Here's what is done so far:

Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm scope
Nightforce 20moa unimount
AADMOUNT scope rings

Here's what is next to come:

Geissele SSA-E
Ballistics data profile for my particular rifle/scope via gunsmith
Atlas BT46-LW17 PRS Bipod

Here's what else I am considering:

LMT DMR .308 stock
No iron sights so KAC offset iron sights

Thoughts on anything I should change or add? The rifle came with an 18" stainless steel barrel with roughly 300 rounds through it. I believe it is an LMT barrel. Any input? Thanks all.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:40:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blake-b] [#1]
I have one with a Bartlein 6.5CM barrel (SSA-E in mine as well along with an Atlas bipod). Just got it Saturday and haven't had a chance to put any rounds through it. It sports a Bushnell DMR in ARC rings.

I will add I looked at the LMT DMR Stock and it looks suspiciously like a Magpul PRS. I think you can save yourself some money by getting the Magpul.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Considering that the UK MoD chose the MWS as their DMR rifle (L129A1), you probably don't have to do much to make it accurate.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By blake-b:
I have one with a Bartlein 6.5CM barrel (SSA-E in mine as well along with an Atlas bipod). Just got it Saturday and haven't had a chance to put any rounds through it. It sports a Bushnell DMR in ARC rings.

I will add I looked at the LMT DMR Stock and it looks suspiciously like a Magpul PRS. I think you can save yourself some money by getting the Magpul.

View Quote

Do tell about the 6.5CM barrel - very interested to hear reports on it...
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
what the hell is a Ballistics Data Profile?

Dude, your gunsmith trying to sell you something? Download a ballistics app that lets you true your ammo to actual results and roll out.

I like the UBR on my LMT, I've messed with the PRS stocks and was never a fan, maybe the DMR stock is better.

SSA is the trigger I have, I might look at the flat bow G-trigger, SDC? I think.

The Atlas bipod is awesome, good choice.

the 18in SS barrel should shoot, I've had very good results with FGGM and reloads out of my CL 16in barrel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:36:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blake-b] [#5]
Originally Posted By Spooky130:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Will do. 22" barrel with Surefire brake. All barrel work done by GAP.

I won't get to shoot it until Mar 4. The guy I bought the whole rig from also has an OBR. He said the LMT is more accurate. I have a variety of various weight ammunition coming in to try out. After I acquire a good stock of brass, I'll begin reloading for it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:57:22 AM EDT
[#6]

I won't get to shoot it until Mar 4. The guy I bought the whole rig from also has an OBR. He said the LMT is more accurate. I have a variety of various weight ammunition coming in to try out. After I acquire a good stock of brass, I'll begin reloading for it.
View All Quotes

Cool...  Did you send a donor barrel to GAP for the conversion?  I've thought about this path but it gets pretty expensive so I'll love to hear what happens with it!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Cool...  Did you send a donor barrel to GAP for the conversion?  I've thought about this path but it gets pretty expensive so I'll love to hear what happens with it!
View All Quotes

I bought it already done. The guy I bought it from said it took 4 months for the work at GAP to be done. I'm not sure if he sent the whole gun or just the barrel.  I have three different ammo types coming in to try out in it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:33:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JonLSU] [#8]
I've pretty much got that setup except I went with the 16in SS barrel. SSA-E Trigger, same NF scope, but larue mount.  Right now I'm pending a Tranquillo suppressor for it.  Also I dont have buis.  Trying to cut weight down, also use a ctr stock.

Overall it shoots awesome.  There isnt much more you need except maybe reload to get the most out of it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]

http://i.imgur.com/nHicig1.jpg
View Quote

I recall hearing the DMR stock is a bit more robust and offers more positions than the PRS but I'll have to revisit and see.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mr2143:
I bought a used LMT MWS a few years back, and it's been sitting until now. I finally decided to make it somewhat of a precision AR. Yes I know there are more accurate rifles out there, but it's what I've decided to work with.

AADMOUNT scope rings

Geissele SSA-E

LMT DMR .308 stock

Thoughts on anything I should change or add? The rifle came with an 18" stainless steel barrel with roughly 300 rounds through it. I believe it is an LMT barrel. Any input? Thanks all.
View Quote

WTF!!!
Run from that dude!

Just download a ballistic app program.

Otherwise good plan. Post pics when you can of the rifle and grouping.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry this might be a thread jack, but I just acquired a SS 16" barrel for my LMT MWS. Do I need to check the head space when changing to the new barrel or just swap and go?
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GrtSaint72:
Sorry this might be a thread jack, but I just acquired a SS 16" barrel for my LMT MWS. Do I need to check the head space when changing to the new barrel or just swap and go?
View Quote

Just change it and shoot it. I figured it was made for it, so it is within specs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 2:47:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]

AADMOUNT scope rings

Geissele SSA-E

LMT DMR .308 stock

View Quote

Judging from what I've got out of my MWSE I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Have any of you replaced the buffer spring system with a CAR-10 or Slash or whatever else is out there? Someone told me there is quite a reduction in felt recoil.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Have any of you replaced the buffer spring system with a CAR-10 or Slash or whatever else is out there? Someone told me there is quite a reduction in felt recoil.
View Quote

I bought one of the Slash buffers. Complete waste of money.

First of all, $140.00 for a buffer and spring is outrageous.

Second, it turned my MWS into a single shot rifle.

I tried it with WWB, Fed AE, XM80, BH 175 gr. Match all in different Magpul mags. Same result.

I contacted the owner and his response was basically, "It works for other people, so tough shit."

He offered to let me return it at my expense for a refund minus a huge "restocking fee" minus another chunk of change for any "damage" from actually installing it in the rifle.

The thing should ship with a tube of KY.

Some people have had luck with them, but just realize that if it doesn't work you're stuck with it anyway. Makes a half decent paperweight.

The militaries of England and New Zealand seem to get by with their MWS's without Slash's magic buffer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 7N1x30:

I tried it with WWB, Fed AE, XM80, BH 175 gr. Match all in different Magpul mags. Same result.

I contacted the owner and his response was basically, "It works for other people, so tough shit."

He offered to let me return it at my expense for a refund minus a huge "restocking fee" minus another chunk of change for any "damage" from actually installing it in the rifle.

Some people have had luck with them, but just realize that if it doesn't work you're stuck with it anyway. Makes a half decent paperweight.

The militaries of England and New Zealand seem to get by with their MWS's without Slash's magic buffer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 7N1x30:

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience with them. I'm glad you shared and saved me from potentially going through the same issue. I guess I'll keep my set up until it lets me down. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...", right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I had the same experience with a slash buffer and spring on an MWSE. No felt change is recoil.

Did LMT use a different weight buffer a few years back maybe? Most research I read had positive things to say about changing the buffer in the LMT MWSE's.

The LMT buffer also runs fine suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#19]

AADMOUNT scope rings

Geissele SSA-E

LMT DMR .308 stock

View Quote

Looks like you've got it figured out.  Just a few comments.  I'm running the LMT DMR stock and the big advantage you have with that over the Magpul PRS is that you're not married to it when installed. I'm not sure if you ever plan to run different barrels/configurations, but it's nice to be able to pull off the DMR stock with ease without having to break out the special tools and going to the bench.  I do plan on adding another simplified lightweight upper which would allow me to run a lighter profile barrel and an optic more suitable for close-in engagements, so having that option to swap stocks is what makes the DMR a better choice for the MWS.  I also like the fact that is has that signature LMT angled cheek weld which makes it very comfortable to shoot with.  

I'm also running a set of KAC offset irons since my optic sits in a non-QD mount, so to me it makes sense to run this set-up as opposed to a standard BUIS.  In reality will I ever need to transition to offset irons for close-up engagements?  Doubtful.  But they are unobtrusive and out of the way, and I hardly notice they are there, so for me it's just a simple matter of better to have and not need than to need and not have.  

I ran the Atlas bipod for a while but then eventually sold it.  I wasn't convinced that it would stand up to extreme hard use if it was called upon to do so.  I know others think they're fine in that regard, but I opted for the more beefy XDS-2C bipod which has worked out great for me so far.  While it hasn't made it to the "Flavor-of-the-week" ARFCOM blip-screen, I think it's one of the best kept secrets in terms of rugged, durable, quality bipods.  

I also plan to switch out my 20" CL MWS barrel for the 20" SS 6.5 Creedmoor as a dedicated precision set up.  At some point in the future I'll have the 20" CL barrel chopped down to 16' and ball milled to reduce weight, which will be the basis for lighter weight run-and-gun battle rifle set-up.  

Anything to add?  If it's a dedicated precision rig it might not hurt to consider adding a quality bubble level.  I was running the KAC anti-cant device when I had a different scope set-up, but then got rid of it when I got the Spuhr mount with a built-in level.  I'd also be interested in trying out the Silencerco Radius, but that hasn't been high on my priority list of things to buy, but it does look interesting nonetheless.  Other than that the MWS will already weigh quite a bit, so as long as you're happy with it being more a less a static weapon system then I wouldn't consider adding anything else.  Are you planning to run it suppressed at all?  

For reference here's my current set-up:

20" CL barrel
LMT DMR Stock
Schmidt Bender 4-16x42 PMII H37 reticle
Spuhr SP-4602 34mm 20.6 MOA ISMS
KAC 200-600 offest BUIS
KAC ambidextrous charging handle
KAC trigger guard
GGG XDS-2C bipod
Magpul MOE+ grip
Saker Trifecta muzzle brake
Silencerco Saker 7.62 w/ Cole-Tac HTP suppressor wrap

Printing impressive groups with this set-up, so I'm vey curious to see how the SS 6.5 configuration will do.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the information. That reaffirmed my desire for the DMR .308 which is still on my want list. I have a SilencerCo. Omega coming hopefully around the fall, so that should make shooting that much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Blackfoot_7:

Looks like you've got it figured out.  Just a few comments.  I'm running the LMT DMR stock and the big advantage you have with that over the Magpul PRS is that you're not married to it when installed. I'm not sure if you ever plan to run different barrels/configurations, but it's nice to be able to pull off the DMR stock with ease without having to break out the special tools and going to the bench.  I do plan on adding another simplified lightweight upper which would allow me to run a lighter profile barrel and an optic more suitable for close-in engagements, so having that option to swap stocks is what makes the DMR a better choice for the MWS.  I also like the fact that is has that signature LMT angled cheek weld which makes it very comfortable to shoot with.  

I'm also running a set of KAC offset irons since my optic sits in a non-QD mount, so to me it makes sense to run this set-up as opposed to a standard BUIS.  In reality will I ever need to transition to offset irons for close-up engagements?  Doubtful.  But they are unobtrusive and out of the way, and I hardly notice they are there, so for me it's just a simple matter of better to have and not need than to need and not have.  

I ran the Atlas bipod for a while but then eventually sold it.  I wasn't convinced that it would stand up to extreme hard use if it was called upon to do so.  I know others think they're fine in that regard, but I opted for the more beefy XDS-2C bipod which has worked out great for me so far.  While it hasn't made it to the "Flavor-of-the-week" ARFCOM blip-screen, I think it's one of the best kept secrets in terms of rugged, durable, quality bipods.  

I also plan to switch out my 20" CL MWS barrel for the 20" SS 6.5 Creedmoor as a dedicated precision set up.  At some point in the future I'll have the 20" CL barrel chopped down to 16' and ball milled to reduce weight, which will be the basis for lighter weight run-and-gun battle rifle set-up.  

Anything to add?  If it's a dedicated precision rig it might not hurt to consider adding a quality bubble level.  I was running the KAC anti-cant device when I had a different scope set-up, but then got rid of it when I got the Spuhr mount with a built-in level.  I'd also be interested in trying out the Silencerco Radius, but that hasn't been high on my priority list of things to buy, but it does look interesting nonetheless.  Other than that the MWS will already weigh quite a bit, so as long as you're happy with it being more a less a static weapon system then I wouldn't consider adding anything else.  Are you planning to run it suppressed at all?  

20" CL barrel
LMT DMR Stock
KAC 200-600 offest BUIS
KAC trigger guard
GGG XDS-2C bipod
Magpul MOE+ grip

Printing impressive groups with this set-up, so I'm vey curious to see how the SS 6.5 configuration will do.  Good luck.
View All Quotes

AADMOUNT scope rings

Geissele SSA-E

LMT DMR .308 stock

20" CL barrel
LMT DMR Stock
KAC 200-600 offest BUIS
KAC trigger guard
GGG XDS-2C bipod
Magpul MOE+ grip

The new MagPul PRS Gen 3 will allow you to use non-rifle buffer tubes as well.  Just another option.  

The XDS-2C bipod looks very robust...  How is the length adjusted?  Looks like by a bolt with tension in the grooves in the leg...

I'm still on the fence about the LMT 6.5CM barrels - I've seen enough bad reviews I'm contemplating having GAP build a custom barrel from a 6.5CM blank and a donor LMT MWS barrel extension.  

Right now, my 16" CL barrel really likes the XM118LR ammo you can find every so often - should have bought 500 from PSA for $400 or whatever their sale was.

Spooky
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:14:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackfoot_7] [#22]

The new MagPul PRS Gen 3 will allow you to use non-rifle buffer tubes as well.  Just another option.  

The XDS-2C bipod looks very robust...  How is the length adjusted?  Looks like by a bolt with tension in the grooves in the leg...

I'm still on the fence about the LMT 6.5CM barrels - I've seen enough bad reviews I'm contemplating having GAP build a custom barrel from a 6.5CM blank and a donor LMT MWS barrel extension.  

Right now, my 16" CL barrel really likes the XM118LR ammo you can find every so often - should have bought 500 from PSA for $400 or whatever their sale was.

Spooky
View All Quotes

AADMOUNT scope rings

Geissele SSA-E

LMT DMR .308 stock

20" CL barrel
LMT DMR Stock
KAC 200-600 offest BUIS
KAC trigger guard
GGG XDS-2C bipod
Magpul MOE+ grip

Spooky

The length on the XDS-2C is adjusted via tension screws in the manner you just described.  Not as fast as a Harris or Atlas, but I've gotten pretty good at deploying it very quickly.  Very solid lock up once the tension knobs are set.  I haven't seen or heard anything negative regarding the MWS 6.5 Creedmoor barrels, but this has definitely piqued my curiosity.  I know Marvin Pitts offers a service to convert barrels using MWS barrel extensions he gets direct from LMT.  At least when I corresponded with him last year he did.  I missed out on an opportunity on Sniper's Hide to get in on the AP/BA 6.5" Group Buy, otherwise I might have gone that route myself.  Might have to look into the GAP option.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#23]

The length on the XDS-2C is adjusted via tension screws in the manner you just described.  Not as fast as a Harris or Atlas, but I've gotten pretty good at deploying it very quickly.  Very solid lock up once the tension knobs are set.  I haven't seen or heard anything negative regarding the MWS 6.5 Creedmoor barrels, but this has definitely piqued my curiosity.  I know Marvin Pitts offers a service to convert barrels using MWS barrel extensions he gets direct from LMT.  At least when I corresponded with him last year he did.  I missed out on an opportunity on Sniper's Hide to get in on the AP/BA 6.5" Group Buy, otherwise I might have gone that route myself.  Might have to look into the GAP option.  Thanks for the info.
View All Quotes

Spooky

With that method of determining the length of the leg you can get whatever length you want where as the others only have preset lengths available.  Will never be as quick but will provide the end user with their desired height.

I've read reports on Sniper's Hide and a couple other places of less than expected accuracy with the LMT factory 6.5 barrels.  Several people said GAP was doing the conversion but needed a donor extension to make it work correctly.  Hadn't heard LMT releasing extensions to anyone since the early-2000s when folks started putting crappy barrels into the extensions and then blaming LMT - the source dried up very quick after that.  With the quality of Marvin's work it would be a possibility he can get them.

spooky
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#24]

I recall hearing the DMR stock is a bit more robust and offers more positions than the PRS but I'll have to revisit and see.
View All Quotes

http://i.imgur.com/nHicig1.jpg

Why would you need something more robust than the PRS? I bought one and promptly sold it, the thing was a fucking tank.  More adjustments? Sure, I guess? PRS seemed pretty adjustable.

Not trying to flame/troll, just curious.   Do people actually break PRS stocks?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#25]

With that method of determining the length of the leg you can get whatever length you want where as the others only have preset lengths available.  Will never be as quick but will provide the end user with their desired height.

I've read reports on Sniper's Hide and a couple other places of less than expected accuracy with the LMT factory 6.5 barrels.  Several people said GAP was doing the conversion but needed a donor extension to make it work correctly.  Hadn't heard LMT releasing extensions to anyone since the early-2000s when folks started putting crappy barrels into the extensions and then blaming LMT - the source dried up very quick after that.  With the quality of Marvin's work it would be a possibility he can get them.

spooky
View All Quotes

Spooky

spooky

Interesting.  If that's the case then I'll probably forgo doing a 6.5 semi-auto set-up and might just put together a dedicated bolt action precision rig chambered in that caliber instead.  I'm currently negotiating a trade deal.  My standard MWS upper for a slick LM8 upper.  If this happens, which I'm sure it will, I might just continue with my plan to chop and ball mill my 20" CL and return it to a more battle rifle type configuration with an LPV as my primary optic.  At any rate, I appreciate the info.  Are you planning to try out the XDS-2C?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 5:00:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Interesting.  If that's the case then I'll probably forgo doing a 6.5 semi-auto set-up and might just put together a dedicated bolt action precision rig chambered in that caliber instead.  I'm currently negotiating a trade deal.  My standard MWS upper for a slick LM8 upper.  If this happens, which I'm sure it will, I might just continue with my plan to chop and ball mill my 20" CL and return it to a more battle rifle type configuration with an LPV as my primary optic.  At any rate, I appreciate the info.  Are you planning to try out the XDS-2C?
View All Quotes

Spooky

spooky

I'd do your own research - I wanted to be able to grab a 6.5CM barrel from LMT in the worst way and have a new 6.5CM gun to play with for $500-600.  When I read what people said I wasn't as sure about dropping the money to go that route.  Still significantly cheaper than building an all new rifle though.  I think the donor extension, high end barrel and gunsmith work would end up exceeding $1000.

I ended up with the KAC bipod and have been very happy the couple times I used it.  Worked 100% on my MWS and was tight on a Seekins rail section on my bolt gun.  Very robust with and excellent feature set.  Only thing I would change would be the mount so it doesn't need to slide over rail - more of a side attach would be better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Man you guys are really making me want to make an offer to my friend for his LMT that's in my safe.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Extorris:

Man you guys are really making me want to make an offer to my friend for his LMT that's in my safe.
View Quote
Dooo it!

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
Dooo it!  
View All Quotes
Dooo it!  

I feel bad taking advantage of a poor ban stater who can't have his guns.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Dooo it!  

Sounds like a him problem to me.....

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Dooo it!  

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Dooo it!  

It's like adopting a dog from the shelter...  If you leave it with him it will never be loved...  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#33]
It's like adopting a dog from the shelter...  If you leave it with him it will never be loved...
View Quote

He told me this week that I can use it whenever I want, said it's a shame it's just sitting in my safe. He realizes that it will never be legal again in NY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top