Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 11:40:19 PM EDT
Just got mine in today and it looks pretty good so far. Anyone else roll the dice on one of these?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious on the clarity on it. I just looked it up and it looks pretty good and not that bad of a price. Could you do a mini review on it please?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:
I'm curious on the clarity on it. I just looked it up and it looks pretty good and not that bad of a price. Could you do a mini review on it please?
View Quote

Might be a few days until I get some time. The clarity is better than good. I have a couple through the scope pics I can post later. It is brighter than my Mark 4 with horus reticle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:31:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rugerdog] [#3]

Roof at 240 yards and mountains at least 10 miles away in Nevada.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By rugerdog:
<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Arthur71/media/IMG_1429_zps8oig2kjg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk144/Arthur71/IMG_1429_zps8oig2kjg.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Arthur71/media/IMG_1428_zps5asyncan.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk144/Arthur71/IMG_1428_zps5asyncan.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Arthur71/media/IMG_1426_zpsgcquo8vh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk144/Arthur71/IMG_1426_zpsgcquo8vh.jpg</a>

Roof at 240 yards and mountains at least 10 miles away in Nevada.
View Quote

That's pretty impressive. I think I just decided which spotting scope I'm going to get. Thanks for the pictures.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm one of my best friends works at B&h photo video. Looks like it's time to hit him up
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, how the hell am I going to fit this into my budget!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
First or second focal plane reticle?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NDT3:
First or second focal plane reticle?
View Quote

First,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233860-REG/bushnell_781545ed_legend_t_series_15_45x60_tactical.html
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:32:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NDT3] [#9]
Thanks.  That is really nice at this price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#10]
Where is it made?  I am >< close to pulling the trigger on one of these.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#11]
This has my interest.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AR4U:
This has my interest.
View Quote

Same. Looks like a modernized Excursion FLP. Really liking the idea of a fine milling reticle.

Most spotting scopes have the ocular lens on the top but this one is on the bottom. Any reason for that? Is it comfortable to use handheld?  And is there a tripod mount on the bottom at all so you can use it upside down if you want to?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jlficken:
View Quote

Its an under $500.00 spotting scope with decent features and glass... where do you think it is made? America? It is made in the only country that could pull off such a low price.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DevL:

Its an under $500.00 spotting scope with decent features and glass... where do you think it is made? America? It is made in the only country that could pull off such a low price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DevL:
Originally Posted By jlficken:

It is China but it could have been somewhere like the Philippines too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
This is high on my list of considerations right now. I'm looking for a mid range kinda thing to replace my old burris that I've had for years.

I don't like angled eye pieces and i 'm glad somebody finally thought to put the eye piece beneath the lens. Pretty much narrowed down to this or a Leupold 20-6- or an outside look at the vortex 20-60. The vortex was my first choice but they seem to get  really mixed reviews. These Bushnells don't seem to have many reviews at all so I'm guessing not a lot of them have shipped yet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By thisisdudewhoru:
Hmmm one of my best friends works at B&h photo video. Looks like it's time to hit him up
View Quote

Can you ask your friend how the glass compares to the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD without a reticle?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone seen this in stock anywhere lately? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JohnLWare:
Has anyone seen this in stock anywhere lately? Thanks.
View Quote

Bumping this up. Still can't find any.  If they had these on the shelf, we'd be buying them.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I have been waiting for exactly this.  Would love a reticle more like the vortex EBR2c but this will do.  Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:09:52 AM EDT
[#20]
OP, any updates on the scope?  How's it holding it?  Any cons you have noticed?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

It has been solid. For the money there is nothing close. I much prefer the
Horus in the mk4 spotters though. This scoped lived in my truck all summer in
AZ and was not effected by the extremely hot temps. Very good deal.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Pulled the trigger on one from B&H photo.  $445 and free shipping is the lowest I could find.  Also picked up one of the Bushnell 10x42 monocular with the mill reticle.  They had them listed for $166.  I'll try to keep you all posted as they arrive.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:40:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrJonesandMe] [#23]
Just snagged one from B&H photo. They're in stock if anyone wants one. Great price and free shipping. Now I need a tripod for it, but until then, I'll go ahead and put it in my HOG saddle.

Edit: link so your life is easier

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233860-REG/bushnell_781545ed_legend_t_series_15_45x60_tactical.html
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks for the update.  Now I just need to save enough money for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I've still yet to be able to find one in stock to check out.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#26]
They were on Amazon $445. I got one. It has Fluorite lens, reasonable clarity, no chromatic aberration, good eye relief (don't have to remove shooting glasses to use), but it gets dark at max magnification due to exit pupil and the depth of field is TINY, TINY and if focus moves .1mm you go from out of focus to in focus to out of focus again. Other than that and the poorly designed soft case and lens covers it's great... the ideal match for my value centric Ruger RPR, Burris XTR II 5-25×50, and Sig Kilo 2000. Never would have thought a few years ago I could get a solid 1000 yard LRF, FFP mil spotter, .6 MOA bolt gun, and a FFP long range 20+ power scope with solid mechanics  all for under $3,000.00 total. We live in a golden age I tell you.

Need a new tripod, since it didn't come with one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm sorely tempted by this spotter also.  For those who have used it, are you able to see .30 cal holes in paper at 300 yd?  How about .22 cal holes at 300 yd?

There are reports of focus drift, along with an easy workaround and good responsiveness from Bushnell.  (Google:  "and my fine focus knob will walk by itself also....I don't feel like getting it swapped out so I put a rubber band between the knob and the body")

Thanks for any info.

BTW, Vaughn Precision's review is very positive:  

Bushnell Legend T Spotting Scope, Review
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:55:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#28]
Originally Posted By CraigBos:
I'm sorely tempted by this spotter also.  For those who have used it, are you able to see .30 cal holes in paper at 300 yd?  How about .22 cal holes at 300 yd?

There are reports of focus drift, along with an easy workaround and good responsiveness from Bushnell.  (Google:  "and my fine focus knob will walk by itself also....I don't feel like getting it swapped out so I put a rubber band between the knob and the body")

Thanks for any info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxi8trXJSHQ
View Quote

No and definitely not in my experience.

I couldn't even get mine to focus perfectly on 8"+ white letters on a railroad car 150yds away.  

I thought it was my eyes but after trying for a couple of hours to get it focused I gave up and sent it back to Amazon.  I told them I thought I got a defective one but didn't want to try another.

I wound up buying a Leupold 12-40x spotter will TMR for $1140 shipped instead.  Double the price but I am much happier with it.  I really wanted to like the Bushnell and liked my DMR scope but the spotter just didn't impress me and I am not a glass snob at all.

I can focus on the bolts holding on a license plate that is 400yds away from inside the house with the Leupold and with the Bushnell I couldn't even read the same license plate.

Here is your video embedded...
Bushnell Legend T Spotting Scope, Review
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#29]
Originally Posted By CraigBos:

Thanks for any info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxi8trXJSHQ
View Quote

Yes, I use it for holes on paper at 300, but 6.5mm holes, not 7.62mm and it focuses great after the Oring mod to fix the last run of defective Orings on these units, a 1 dollar fix. There is backlash that the Oring stops once installed so it does not lose focus. Anyone who can't see at 300 needs to get a replacement under warranty.

The review above mine is a review of a defective unit. My Bushnell spotter smokes the clarity of my Burris XTRII scope. The difference in a Leupold and Bushnell is small. It's quite close the the optical quality of a Nightforce SHV, which is the closest optical comparison I can make.

Once the reviewer who posted above me gets a non defective unit, his tune will change, unless he is a shill for another company and dogging the Bushnell for money. There are several videos through the optic on youtube. They are a fair representation of optical quality IMO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:34:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#30]
Not a shill and not a fan of Leupold in general either.

I sent mine back to Amazon as defective and went with the Leupold.  I was no longer interested in the Bushnell and having to bandaid it after reading more about it.

I liked my LRHS and my DMR scopes but the spotter didn't impress me.  It was easier to just spend more on the proven Leupold than test another Bushnell.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Just came across this thread, I've had one since the fall and had one of the early models with the walking focus ring. If you guys saw the thread on the hide I used the o-ring fix on mine and it solved it. I talked to Bushnell after I got it and they told me to send it back and they'd take care of it, I just sent it back last week because I had a couple of matches I needed it for first and they were totally cool with that.

I used it a couple of weeks back at the Mammoth Sniper Challenge and it did great, we had freaking cold temps and it held up getting beat around in my pack and off of stuff for 3 days in 0 degree weather. I saw at least 5-6 more of them out there and everyone loved them. I've used a MK4 for awhile and after getting this one I honestly can't see too much of a difference. My only complaints with it are like someone else mentioned the cheap cover and the crummy lens caps. I've read that a Nightforce bikini scope cover works perfectly for lens covers. I have also seen guys report that taking a MK4 cover and turning it upside down and cutting a hole in the bottom for the tripod mount works pretty well.

I'll say for the money they are awesome. I've watched good trace to 1,250yds with mine and love the rails on the top, I made an adaptor out of an ADM qd bipod mount to go on the bottom of my range finder and just clip it on the top rail. It worked awesome for us at Mammoth on UKD rangefinder stages. It put the rangefinder in solid position on the tripod and gave me the ability to range for my partner and just drop down to the spotter to watch his shots.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:03:49 AM EDT
[#32]
what's this O ring fix i see mentioned?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Snaps:
what's this O ring fix i see mentioned?
View Quote
Bump, I'm also interested.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I ordered one last week from Optics Planet and am thrilled with how good the image is and also how compact it is.  They are currently running a promotion where you get 12% off spotting scopes using code 12SS so it comes in at ~$403 shipped.  Mine shipped the next day despite availability saying several weeks out.  I will get to play with it more in the next couple weeks
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#35]
has anybody really seen anything bad about these things yet?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Snaps:
has anybody really seen anything bad about these things yet?
View Quote
The one that I received wouldn't focus no matter how much time I spent messing with the diopter adjustment and focus ring.

I wound up sending it back to Amazon and bout a Leupold Mark 4 spotter instead.

I haven't seen anyone else have the same issue though so I may have just gotten a lemon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been looking for my first spotting scope and ran across this thread so I jumped in and ordered from Amazon today for $394.75 before tax and 1 day shipping.

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I will have a review up shortly with pictures comparing it to several other scopes.

I bought it on the jungle store May 9.  Delivered May 12.  May 12 is when the Bushnell 25% off party started.  I sent it back to the jungle store, paying $10 in return shipping, and purchased it at jet.com instead, got free shipping, and 15% off.  When Bushnell sends me my rebate, I will have gotten this spotter for $289 delivered.

I spent about three hours with the scope in my backyard from 3:45AM to 6:45AM -- dark to dawn and just past sunrise.  Then I boxed it back up to go back to the jungle store (the jet order will be here tomorrow or the next day).  

I tried to wait a day or two for the "OMFG WOW" factor to wear off before I posted, but it hasn't.  Buying this scope at $289 should be a felony.

The scope is very clear.  Colors are cool, not warm, if that matters.  More of a blue and green tint, vs red or yellow like some other scopes I've seen.  I have a pair of Vortex Diamonback II 10x42 binos, and the jungle store 8x42 Steiners.  The Bushnell spotter is more like the Vortex binos, cool colors, flatter picture, but not absent in detail.  The Steiner is more warm, richer.  The three rings (power, focus, reticle focus) are very smooth.  The twist-out eye cup is very smooth.  The scope is very light.  Very compact compared to what I have been using.  The field of view is WIDE.  The nylon cover is meh and I am going to line it with closed cell foam to give it more protection.  The objective cover has a hole for a string to attach it to whatever.  The eyepiece cover does not and I will lose it on my first or second trip to the range, for sure.

The reticle is graduated in 0.5mils throughout, and I think 0.2mils at the very edges.

The picture blurs slightly, and I mean slightly, like you have to really look to see it, at the edges.  Not even really blurring, just like cloudy, greyish.  Hard to explain.

Its 60mm objective collected more light throughout my test than my European 75mm scope did sitting next to it.  The Bushnell also had vastly less chromatic aberration.  Vastly less.

I have been looking for a reticle-equipped spotter for years, and almost dropped the hammer on used Leupolds many times (lowest I saw was $1k).  Athlon Optics wouldn't specify, but hinted that they may have a reticle-equipped spotter out soon.  Vortex's offering looks great but is $$$$$$

My original jungle store purchase price was $418.  Put it in your cart and wait for it to go to $398, it will eventually.  Or do the jet.com deal.

I can't wait to get it out to the range.  I was looking at trees, tile roofs, and wooden miniblinds on my neighbor's houses from 20-120y away, with absolute crisp detail (and this was all before the sun was even up).  I also managed to get some views of birds sitting on bathroom fan vents before they flew off.  Crystal clear, but flat image, very detailed, just flat and cool, color-wise.  Having said that, if I wanted a birding scope, I wouldn't have one with a reticle.  For spotting shots and calling corrections, I fully expect this thing to shine.  Frankly, I am going to take an orange vest and a tripod to the park with this scope, and practice milling objects (and other things....).  Taking a rifle scope to the park to do the same would raise eyebrows.  They'll think I'm a surveyor or something.

I don't plan on testing the ruggedness of this scope (the "armor" just feels like rubbery plastic, although it is said to be waterproof), but if it performs throughout the next few years like it did when it was on my back porch, I will label it the best gun purchase I've made in a decade.

Like I said, the OMFG WOW factor has not worn off.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm sorry, I wanted to add one thing.  Google Earth puts a major Target distribution warehouse 13.5mi from my back yard.  On the docks of that warehouse is a large structure build using steel I-beams, painted bright red.  Several of my other spotters could resolve the red, blockiness of that structure.  The Bushnell resolved the gaps between the I-beams, and I could see the individual edges of several of the beams.  This was right before sunrise, no wind, very little mirage.

Landing lights on the runway I can see from my house wouldn't resolve to single points of light in the Bushnell but its 17 miles away, and no scope I own will resolve those.

I could see the bolt heads in the basketball backboard of a neighbor's house a few hundred yards away.  No experience yet, but I doubt bullet holes will be a problem.  Even if it is an issue, I bought this scope to call corrections.  I'm less concerned about seeing holes in paper, and more concerned about seeing trace and grey splotches on steel, dust clouds from impacts, etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Mine was sitting on my porch when i got home from work tonight. So far so good, I can say it's clear. Resting on my deck i can clearly read license plates a couople hundred yards away. Focus seems good, can't wait to get out to try it but so far so good.

Only thing is its a big heavy. The tripod I have for my older burris scope can't hold it very well so I just ordered a heavier one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Had mine for awhile.

My observations:
Glass is fairly clear edge to edge.
Does not resolve images very well.
Low light performance not good
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I like mine and use it several times a week.  Focus is finicky but workable.  For what I paid I am happy with it.  It also pulls double duty as a night vision spotter/rangefinder for me, which it does VERY well.  Nothing even close to this scope's price point can do everything it currently does for me.  The adapter is something I cobbled together with a LaRue LT-170 mount, long cheap chicom rail section, nylon spacers, and a PRI PVS-14 mount.  IR illumination is simply a MUST for it.  It works shockingly well

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:
I like mine and use it several times a week.  Focus is finicky but workable.  For what I paid I am happy with it.  It also pulls double duty as a night vision spotter/rangefinder for me, which it does VERY well.  Nothing even close to this scope's price point can do everything it currently does for me.  The adapter is something I cobbled together with a LaRue LT-170 mount, long cheap chicom rail section, nylon spacers, and a PRI PVS-14 mount.  IR illumination is simply a MUST for it.  It works shockingly well

https://i.imgur.com/0H67X7E.jpg
View Quote
I've been wondering how to get my PVS-14 mounted behind my spotter. Gonna have to try this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top