BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
AR Precision Testing (Page 7 of 7)
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you.  I for one appreciate all the testing you've done.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jb2c:
I have some easy questions...

*What is your favorite barrel?  
*What is your favorite cheap barrel?
*What is your favorite barrel and factory ammo combination?
View Quote

Factory ammo
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jb2c:
Thank you.  I for one appreciate all the testing you've done.
View Quote

Don’t encourage him, he’s cost me way to much already.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Proof 18” 6ARC

The left target was the first group, with the first round impacting lower than the rest. The remaining shots grouped decent, but not as well as I’ve shot when using the suppressor. Limited time today, so I’ll add that for a future trip.

Testing of the Rainier Arms match with ammo on hand and Sierra ammo that was purchased in the past 2 weeks, so hopefully it’s available for others.

Geco 55gr target....just doesn’t shoot to the same precision as I’d hope for target ammo. It started to come into a 1moa group once the barrel was fouled (second group), but it’s just not consistent or as precise as other options.

The Sierra Prairie Enemy is Sierras factory load with the 55gr blitzking. I only have a limited supply of this, so I only tested 2 groups. With both of them performing good, I would think that others may have good luck with this ammo as well.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Ballistic Advantage, 22” 6.5creedmoor
Hornady American Gunner 140gr

First group, Clean Cold Bore

Rifle as fired. Note, if you zoom in, you can see two pieces of brass with pierced primers that occurred with the first group fired. There was likely just a trace amount of solvent within the barrel that caused pressure to spike. That’s the downside of a RLGS with a 20+” 6.5creed and factory ammo (in particular). You’re so close to being over pressure with a standard .308 bolt/firing pin that it doesn’t take much to reach the tipping point. Shots 1 and 2 impacted high and right of the central group as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#6]
I am on the learning curve when it comes to loading and shooting precision rounds. My lesson learned this week was courtesy of neck tension. I have dialed in my rifles favorite bto for this bullet but was experiencing fliers. I was suspicious of the neck tension because I could feel how loose it was when seating bullets. I changed my procedures and things have improved. My sd went down to 8.05 and the fliers have been eliminated.

Before:
Attachment Attached File

After: (group 1 includes a clean cold bore shot low left. The high right shot on group 3 was called, all me)
Attachment Attached File

Then I took it out to 600.
Attachment Attached File

On my best day I am probably a half inch shooter so I am pretty happy with this.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever happened with the Larue Stealth .556 barrel?

And thanks for an entertaining and informative thread.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By texashark:
Whatever happened with the Larue Stealth .556 barrel?

And thanks for an entertaining and informative thread.
View Quote

@texashark

It was sold, as was the LT 6.5grendel barrel. I’d be happy to test them further but I don’t have anymore Lt’s besides the 6.5creed. Maybe I can summon the GAHTF to loan out a few uppers in the near future as I’m pretty sure there are some members with varying stealth barrel configurations.

I do plan on trying to get some time with the Rock River and Rainier Ultramatch (barrel #2) this week if time permits. Trying to spin up a 22GT and another 6creed barrel for my competition rifles. Then I’ll be pretty busy till mid/late April with my match schedule, which is why I’m hopeful I’ll get some range time this week.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Compiled results have been added to page 1. The table isn’t complete, but it’s a start and should have been drafted months ago. The table includes the  results, which page of the thread the test data can be found on as well as any comments that were noted.

I’ll work to have a separate table sorted by ammo/type correlating to the best group averages and the best averages overall.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve been focusing mostly on precision rimfire as of late, but when I saw that ADI ammo was available again, I decided to grab some to give it a try.

Testing was initially done with my 223 bolt gun, just to get a baseline. This ammo typically averages in the 0.4-0.5moa range. This new lot, branded solely as ADI vs the previous Australian Outback, had moments of greatness followed by me scratching my head. I was almost convinced that the groups opening up was due to mirage, but I experienced similar fliers when testing with my AR’s without suppressors.

Bolt Gun

AR Testing- 18” Rainier Arms Rock Creek / 18” Rainier Arms Match
The New ADI 69smk experienced the same fliers that I noticed with my bolt gun, but they were much more pronounced.
For the 18” Rock Creek testing, the groups started to tighten up after the initial group (Top Left). I’m not sure if this was due to fouling the barrel or just some really extreme variation in the ammo. A single group of the old AO ADI 69smk was fired from the 18” RA match. While extremely limited in the sample size, this was approximately 0.2moa better than what the new ADI ammo produced in my AR’s.

After testing the New ADI in the RA rock creek, I grabbed some of my handloads to test/confirm since it’s warmer now than when I last loaded for that barrel. The handloads shot in the .49moa and .81moa range and were essentially absent of unexplained fliers. The first round of the 24.8gr charge was slightly high and the 24.9gr target being on the upper end leading out of the precision node.

Pardon the cluttered target.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Compiled results have been added to page 1. The table isn’t complete, but it’s a start and should have been drafted months ago. The table includes the  results, which page of the thread the test data can be found on as well as any comments that were noted.

I’ll work to have a separate table sorted by ammo/type correlating to the best group averages and the best averages overall.
View Quote

On the notes for the Krieger, you should point out the barrel was pulled because it was shot out. Also the previous owner accidentally shot steel tumbling pins down the barrel (confirmed with borescope) because he’s a retard.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 1:26:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: moregrip] [#12]
What a ridiculously helpful thread! I'm as new as one can be to this type of shooting and appreciate all the time and effort you've put into collecting and sharing! Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve been focusing mostly on precision rimfire as of late, but when I saw that ADI ammo was available again, I decided to grab some to give it a try.

https://i.imgur.com/lHYC9Dl.jpg

Testing was initially done with my 223 bolt gun, just to get a baseline. This ammo typically averages in the 0.4-0.5moa range. This new lot, branded solely as ADI vs the previous Australian Outback, had moments of greatness followed by me scratching my head. I was almost convinced that the groups opening up was due to mirage, but I experienced similar fliers when testing with my AR’s without suppressors.

Bolt Gun
https://i.imgur.com/iwXIZfs.jpg

AR Testing- 18” Rainier Arms Rock Creek / 18” Rainier Arms Match
The New ADI 69smk experienced the same fliers that I noticed with my bolt gun, but they were much more pronounced.
For the 18” Rock Creek testing, the groups started to tighten up after the initial group (Top Left). I’m not sure if this was due to fouling the barrel or just some really extreme variation in the ammo. A single group of the old AO ADI 69smk was fired from the 18” RA match. While extremely limited in the sample size, this was approximately 0.2moa better than what the new ADI ammo produced in my AR’s.

https://i.imgur.com/6KdmL4Y.jpg

After testing the New ADI in the RA rock creek, I grabbed some of my handloads to test/confirm since it’s warmer now than when I last loaded for that barrel. The handloads shot in the .49moa and .81moa range and were essentially absent of unexplained fliers. The first round of the 24.8gr charge was slightly high and the 24.9gr target being on the upper end leading out of the precision node.

Pardon the cluttered target.
https://i.imgur.com/MfjhrvL.jpg
View Quote
I was afraid of this.  The demand for the AO ADI absolutely outstripped supply.  I knew they were coming back with a different look.  I have to assume that they've allowed QC to slip a bit in order to meet demand.  Hopefully they'll reign things in and get back to doing it the old way.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Time to add some new items to the mix.

Craddock Precision 22” Bartlein w/ +2 gas
Superlative Arms clamp on .875” gas block
New ZEV/MEGA MML upper/handguard (16”)
Chrome BCG w/ LaRue 6.5 grendel bolt

This was my first build using a MEGA MML upper, but I am super impressed with the fit and ease of assembly. Installation of the FA was super easy and didn’t require a hammer for installing the roll pin and the rail mated up snug. A little force was required to fully seat the rail, but it’s solid! As I expected, the upper did require heating to install the barrel, which is what I prefer. The barrel extension measured 1.02”.

I was a bit worried on how the gas block would fit due to the height of the clamp on version, but with SLR being OOS everywhere, I decided to roll the dice. Overall, the fit looks to be satisfactory and allows for enough of a gap between the block and rails for me to be comfortable with.

And thanks to the big brown truck, I’ve got a few bullets to test with over the coming month for the 6ARC and some 55 Blitzkings to test with the 223’s.

I was rained out this evening, but I should have some info with the Hornady 105 Black ammo tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking forward to it!

I'm a huge 6mm fan and have been trying to keep up on the latest developments with the 6ARC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#16]
6ARC
Craddock Precision Bartlein, 22” w+2 gas, 1:7.25t
Hornady Black 105’s
90F

First rounds. Group 1 only has 4 shots. I burned the first one on the berm to confirm my bore sight.

It started to show some promise towards the end. After group 4 I went to the clubs 300yd range and went 5/5 on the 5” plate using the box velocity estimate and accounting for being .2 Mil high with the current scope adjustment.

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking good

How did the rifle function?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#18]
Initial testing with the 55blitzkings

Rainier Arms 18” Rock Creek
IMR 8208xbr
ADI brass
Cci 400
Vortex Venom 5-25

Most groups are 3rds, aside from load 1 and 6. Based on initial results, load #1 and 3 may require further evaluation.

The charges tested spanned ~1.5grs. All loads remained under Moa, but again, most were 3 shot groups. Nothing to get excited about, but hopefully a decent indicator for future eval.

A point to note was I decided to use a Vortex Venom for this rifle today. Typically I run a bit more expensive optic, but I don’t think the glass was a huge detriment to my shooting. When just looking at the berm or steel targets, the image quality was quite nice. It does have a fairly tight eye box which was very apparent when shooting with an AR that doesn’t have an adjustable cheek riser. There is also a fair amount of chromatic aberration (purple fringe) when looking at white targets, but I was pleased with the overall visual experience for a sub 500$ optic with its feature set. The image does darken once above 21-22x, but not to a point that it affected my shooting. I ran it at 25x for today’s testing. Just tossing that out for people on a budget. With new offerings, you don’t have to spend $$$$ to get an optic with a clean reticle that will allow you to shoot good groups.

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Looking good

How did the rifle function?
View Quote

Very smooth and soft shooting even while adjusting the gas block (group 3).

When I went to the 300yd range, I fired my 5 shots in well under 30seconds without using a brake or suppressor. It was very easy to keep it on or close to the target between shots.

I did experience high “fliers” on the last round for groups 1/2, but I think that may be magazine related. I switched to a new mag for the last groups. I’ve also got a few anti tilt buffer tubes to try out as well. I’m curious if that will help with fliers with some mags/configurations.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#20]
Confirmatory testing with the 55blitzkings

Rainier Arms 18” Rock Creek, 223wylde
IMR 8208xbr
ADI brass
Cci 400
Vortex Venom 5-25

I chose the median charge between the previous best groups since they grouped decent and had no significant shift in POI.

The 8rd group was intended to be 10, but there was a feeding issue with one of my magazines which dinged up two cases to the point I wasn’t willing to fire them.

Avg. group size for all 3 groups, 18rds: .58moa.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#21]
How’s the Mega MML build working out?

I had the same Craddock Bartlien barrel that had wandering zero issues until I figured out the MML needs to be torqued much higher than normal. The barrel nut had backed out when using 40-50 ft/lb. Needed to go to 80.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Confirmatory testing with the 55blitzkings

Rainier Arms 18” Rock Creek
IMR 8208xbr
ADI brass
Cci 400
Vortex Venom 5-25

I chose the median charge between the previous best groups since they grouped decent and had no significant shift in POI.

The 8rd group was intended to be 10, but there was a feeding issue with one of my magazines which dinged up two cases to the point I wasn’t willing to fire them.

Avg. group size for all 3 groups, 18rds: .58moa.

https://i.imgur.com/QnA6akx.jpg
View Quote

Is that the .223rem or the .224 Valerie? I lost track.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
How’s the Mega MML build working out?

I had the same Craddock Bartlien barrel that had wandering zero issues until I figured out the MML needs to be torqued much higher than normal. The barrel nut had backed out when using 40-50 ft/lb. Needed to go to 80.
View Quote

I haven’t shot it for groups lately. I did take it out last weekend on Sat/Sun to shoot at 300yds to generate 6arc brass. I don’t recall a single shot dropping from the 5” plate on Sat. with my known dope. We went back on Sunday and my girlfriend used the same dope and cleaned the KYL rack with it back to back (2” is the smallest plate). Based on that, I think it’s holding true, I just hope it groups decent the next time I take it out.

But….I may pull the rail just to check that the barrel nut still meets the German spec.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Any new testing?

I have a 18in 1-7.7 Bartlien in order with CLE I’m waiting on.
I found a older 16 Rainer Arms Select I forgot I had that is the above barrels place holder for now.  I shot a few quick 3 rd groups after I zeroed the scope and both were pretty decent.
.93 and I think like a .87 I didn’t save anything.
Ammo was some magtech 77g
I loaded up some .77 with 24.5 CFE and will see how it does.  I can’t believe I forgot I had the barrel I thought I sold it.

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:41:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#25]
Unfortunately I haven’t lately. I did shoot an AR at the GAHTF MOA challenge, but it was a pretty windy day, so it isn’t a great representation of what the rifle was capable of.

Rainier Arms Rock Creek, 1:8t, 18” 223wylde, 55gr Blitzkings

I’ll use these as teasers for upcoming tests.

Craddock Precision 22” Bartlein,1:7.25t 6ARC

A LaRue 20” upper with a long and storied pedigree….
This barrel has over 2k rounds through it. I received it on loan to clean and evaluate it. The initial results were very promising.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Looking forward to more of your reviews!
Thanks for keeping the thread going.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Any thoughts / comments on the PRS Lite ?
View Quote

I really like it with the limited time I’ve had with it. Sure the buttpad is firm and isn’t as soft as the Gen3 PRS, and the adjustments for LOP/comb height can’t be done tool less or as quickly, but at 120$, it’s a bargain for what you get.

While I think it’s a great precision stock, there are 2 potential things to consider, imo. The first is the buttpad isn’t as thick/soft as the Gen3. On a 5.56/224Valkyrie and other small frame gassers, this shouldn’t be an issue at all. The “potential” issue would be when using a large frame gasser that has more pronounced recoil, combined with a large volume of fire during a range session. I say potential as I don’t foresee it as being any worse than a typical carbine style stock, despite being very firm.

The second issue, and this was an issue to me, is that the comb height adjustment is controlled by a narrow polymer tab at the rear of the cheek riser. When adjusted off of the main stock body, the cheek riser has a very minimal amount of flex/tilt downwards when you place your cheek on the stock. An easy remedy was to apply a small piece of foam under the cheek riser to ensure that the riser could not flex/tilt downward. If you have an old mousepad….that could be a great way to repurpose it for a solution.

Some have complained that the adjustment for the riser is difficult to access/adjust, but if you extend out the length of pull, it’s pretty easy to get to the screw that controls the comb height adjustment. It takes less than 5 minutes to adjust, and probably closer to 3 minutes after the first time.

Even with the potential items listed above, I think Magpul hit a home run with this. I’ve got another 1 ordered and plan to run it on a 6.5creed to see how the large frame recoil feels after 75-125rds (typical 1 day match COF).
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#30]
18” Rainier Arms Ultramatch
Older version, Shilen blank, Intermediate gas
Vortex Venom 5-25

IMI Razorcore 77gr

I dug into the back of the safe and decided to give this one a go since I haven’t shot it in quite awhile. It was cleaned prior to storage, which may have accounted for the “abnormal” first group, but it settled in quickly. I fired 3 rounds to confirm the zero and season the barrel on a separate target, but I think it probably needed 5.

Targets 2, 4 and 5 really demonstrate, to me at least, where this ammo wanted to group when things were consistent. All 3 targets had 3rds go into a very tight cluster.

Results- 25rd average of .699moa
Results excluding the first round on target (24rd avg)- .590moa

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#31]
That is a good shooting barrel, especially with factory ammo
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Bump to keep from the archives:

The end of 2022 and 2023 was super busy…. If you’re ever considering being on the board for your local gun club and have a job and family, seriously consider how much you enjoy shooting, as your limited time at the range may be filled with more Q/A than shooting!

A few new barrels rifles to be tested soon; hopefully with some videos as well.

Builds/barrels on deck:

PSA M110 (.308)
PSA Jakl (223/5.56)
Larue 20” 7.62
Proof 24” 6creedmoor

Potential test items:
X-caliber 6GT
Craddock Precision 22ARC (one or two 22ARC’s will likely be tested as I’m very interested in this cartridge. Still evaluating offerings).

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I would be interested in seeing the results of the 6GT test.

6x47L has been my choice in a bolt gun for a while, but I'm seriously considering switching to 6GT now that Lapua is supporting it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:44:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump to keep from the archives:

The end of 2022 and 2023 was super busy…. If you’re ever considering being on the board for your local gun club and have a job and family, seriously consider how much you enjoy shooting, as your limited time at the range may be filled with more Q/A than shooting!

A few new barrels rifles to be tested soon; hopefully with some videos as well.

Builds/barrels on deck:

PSA M110 (.308)
PSA Jakl (223/5.56)
Larue 20” 7.62
Proof 24” 6creedmoor

Potential test items:
X-caliber 6GT
Craddock Precision 22ARC (one or two 22ARC’s will likely be tested as I’m very interested in this cartridge. Still evaluating offerings).

View Quote

In for the arc results. I am mildly curious about it but put off on how the 6Arc brass and loads are almost vaporware. Way to support a cartridge Hornady. I wonder what is keeping others from producing the brass? What’s going to happen with the 22 arc?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#35]
What ever happened to that 16" Daniel Defense barrel? Is it a S2W profile or a government profile?  Was it just not exciting enough to test?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DevL:
What ever happened to that 16" Daniel Defense barrel? Is it a S2W profile or a government profile?  Was it just not exciting enough to test?
View Quote

Govt Profile. It was tested in a limited capacity several months ago before work got in the way. Iirc, it printed back to back 10shot groups that were right at 1-1.2moa with ADI 69smk and a Vortex PST 1-4 optic.

Due to some good friends that have lowers that support a higher rate of fire, it may not perform as well as it once did, but I’ll take it out soon.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I’ll get to the range this weekend. I’ve just received some 22ARC ammo, sized 6.5g to 22ARC and bought some 168 otm and smk AAC ammo.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
AR Precision Testing (Page 7 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top