Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2023 5:00:05 PM EDT
I posted about this Ruger 6.5 that I purchased a few months ago for a steal. The gun as you see it with the Sig optic, bipod and a pelican case was $1200. The first group I fired out of the gun was a .90” group using 123gr ELD match and 38.3gr Varget at 2.67 OAL. Today I tried 120gr ELD Match using the same load of 38.3gr Varget at 2.67 OAL.

I only had 20 of the bullets which a buddy had given me to try, so I loaded 7 and fired away. The first 5 were one hole. I should have stopped there, but just had to fire the last two and mucked it up. Still…..the group was 0.80”.

There was a guy next to me shooting a Daniel Defense 6.5 bolt gun with a high power Night Force scope. I believe he stated he had over 6k in the gun with optics and mounts and my Ruger shot circles around his. Most of his groups were 1.5” or more. He was not happy……but I am

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has been really fun to play with. It’s too heavy to hunt with but I have still culled a few doe’s. The only complaint I have had is the action was like sandpaper on a sand stone until I did and action job. And you still cannot get it as smooth as a Rem 700 or clone.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger has definitely figured something out about mass-producing inexpensive barrels that can absolutely shoot the lights out.  My 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Predator is absolutely filthy good with factory ammo AND reloads.  I just got their Go Wild 300 Win Mag and it also shoots far better than it should given the price.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes 6.5 is a mighty fine caliber, mine is a 6.5x55 and a Tikka.

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:
Ruger has definitely figured something out about mass-producing inexpensive barrels that can absolutely shoot the lights out.  My 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Predator is absolutely filthy good with factory ammo AND reloads.  I just got their Go Wild 300 Win Mag and it also shoots far better than it should given the price.
View Quote

At one point my buddies and I had four Ruger’s three RPR’s and one RAP. And they all shot the same reload extremely well and all shot the bulk Hornady 140 bthp well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#5]
100% agree.

In my youth, I enjoyed boasting of shooting full auto & large calibers with .50 BMG being the most unpleasant biggest badboy.  I initially settled on .308 for targets & after multiple shoulder operations, found myself looking for a heavier stock for my .308….and kept hearing of the 6.5CM.

I can literally shoot my 6.5CM all day & feel good about my groups & shoulder—all at the same time.

We must be onto something, with SOCOM adopting it, too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Great shooting OP and Tikka!  I'm in the final stretch of buying a 6.5, trying to decide which Bergara it's going to be.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one when they first came out, I guess Gen 1?

I've put very few rounds through it, too much going on. I stole the scope off it some time back but recently acquired a replacement. I really need to get her out and get some loads worked up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:37:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#9]
My RPR 6.5 is the most accurate rifle I own.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#10]
You scored on a great deal OP and awesome groups! Now I’m interested in one of these rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Try some Hornady 147 ELD's. You may not even need to mess with reloading.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
View Quote

The. 147’s ELD’s did not shoot well out of this gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:29:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
View Quote

Went shooting at Dead Zero Shooting Park in Tennessee last month.
I ran out of my hand loads at 600y and bought a bunch of different stuff including Hornady Match loaded with 147gr ELD-M.
The ELD-M shot consistent groups around .6 MOA at 1,000 yards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Yup.

And if you're not careful, you'll realize that the shorter 6.5 Grendel, fit's in a light weight AR15, and will do wonders as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:12:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Turns out that the way they design cartridges now is just better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:13:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#16]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Yup.

And if you're not careful, you'll realize that the shorter 6.5 Grendel, fit's in a light weight AR15, and will do wonders as well.
View Quote

Or the Ruger RAP.

I wouldn’t mind playing with one in 6mm ARK.

It’s not really lightweight but there’s a buck shot in 2014 at about 200 yards.
The little 6.5 Grendel has been really good to me. In my opinion it’s a excellent ranch round that is easy on barrels and just plain fun to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top