Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2014 4:59:47 PM EDT
Does anyone have any ballistic data on a Rem 700 16.5" 1/10 barrel, chambered in .308? If you have one and mounted a suppressor, even better. This is the direction I'm planning on going with my bolt gun. I'll mainly be shooting Federal GMM 168gr BTHP. The reality is that I probably won't be shooting past 600 but I'd like to know if anyone has.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By K9twelve:
Does anyone have any ballistic data on a Rem 700 16.5" 1/10 barrel, chambered in .308? If you have one and mounted a suppressor, even better. This is the direction I'm planning on going with my bolt gun. I'll mainly be shooting Federal GMM 168gr BTHP. The reality is that I probably won't be shooting past 600 but I'd like to know if anyone has.
View Quote

10 rounds of Hornady 168gr TAP "Red Box" averaged 2524fps from the 16.5" 700 Tactical 308 I owned last year, and that velocity verified on steel at 900 yards using Litz G7 for the 168 A-Max.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By avboiler11:

10 rounds of Hornady 168gr TAP "Red Box" averaged 2524fps from the 16.5" 700 Tactical 308 I owned last year, and that velocity verified on steel at 900 yards using Litz G7 for the 168 A-Max.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By avboiler11:

Thanks! That looks like only about 120fps loss in velocity. That shouldn't affect medium range shots too much.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you reload try some 175's for kicks and grins too. I know just out to 600 yards the 168's will be hard to beat but if it were me I'd try the 175's or 178's with that 1-10 twist.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Recon762wt] [#4]
I have a decent amount of data compiled for my rifle. See below:

PPU 308 Match 175gr
Group #1 = 2.21” Group #2 = 3.1”

Hornady 308 155gr TAP FPD
Group #1 = .9”Group #2 = .83”

Hornady 308 Win 168gr Z-max (Zombie Ammo)
Group #1 = .38” (Clear winner - see duplicate results from hand load below)

Remington Primer Match 308 Win 175gr Matchking BTHP
Group #1 = 1.9” Group #2 = .67”

Hand Loads – 175gr Sierra Matchking BTHP/42.5gr of H4895
Group #1 = 1.0”Group #2 = .85”Group #3 = 1.25”

I have had zero luck with 175gr projectiles. As you can see from the results above, factory ammo and handholds both result in MOA or larger groups. I have had great success with the 168gr A-Max bullets. My go to load is a 168gr A-Max, 45.5gr of Varget, and a Federal Gold Medal Match primer. With an average velocity of 2555fps it produces .5-.3MOA five round groups (Similar to the factory Z-Max/A-Max ammo). I have also done some loading with Hornady  168gr BTHP  projectiles and those were all around .75 MOA. The rifle seems to love the A-Max projectiles.

As an observation, the 16.5" barrel seems to be really picky when it comes to ammo. I found a load it likes and stuck with it, everything else seems to shoot just over 1 MOA (could just be my rifle though). My 308's with longer barrels are a lot more forgiving when it came to testing ammo.

I started off exclusively shooting the rifle with an AAC Sdn6, but took it off after I found that it was opening up the groups to around 1 MOA. Good can, just not meant for precision work in my opinion. If you are using a thread on suppressor or one with a solid mount, then you shouldn't have the same issue.

16.5" AAC-SD  suppressed vs. 20" AAC-SD

Hornady Z-Max

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Recon762wt:

PPU 308 Match 175gr

I have had zero luck with 175gr projectiles. As you can see from the results above, factory ammo and handholds both result in MOA or larger groups. I have had great success with the 168gr A-Max bullets. My go to load is a 168gr A-Max, 45.5gr of Varget, and a Federal Gold Medal Match primer. With an average velocity of 2555fps it produces .5-.3MOA five round groups (Similar to the factory Z-Max/A-Max ammo). I have also done some loading with Hornady  168gr BTHP  projectiles and those were all around .75 MOA. The rifle seems to love the A-Max projectiles.

As an observation, the 16.5" barrel seems to be really picky when it comes to ammo. I found a load it likes and stuck with it, everything else seems to shoot just over 1 MOA (could just be my rifle though). My 308's with longer barrels are a lot more forgiving when it came to testing ammo.

I started off exclusively shooting the rifle with an AAC Sdn6, but took it off after I found that it was opening up the groups to around 1 MOA. Good can, just not meant for precision work in my opinion. If you are using a thread on suppressor or one with a solid mount, then you shouldn't have the same issue.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/recon762wt/64db01ab-e8e8-4802-86f1-a4b24daad3e8_zps91c2b854.jpg

Hornady Z-Max
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/recon762wt/IMG_1639_zpsf100e57c.jpg
View Quote

Thanks Recon! That's some good info. I'm going to be using my Saker 7.62 as a thread on suppressor. We'll see how it goes with regards to accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By supv26:
If you reload try some 175's for kicks and grins too. I know just out to 600 yards the 168's will be hard to beat but if it were me I'd try the 175's or 178's with that 1-10 twist.
View Quote

I've heard the 175 Sierra Match really loves that 1/10.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm considering a 16.5" or 20" AAC SD.  Do you think you're getting much unburned powder hitting your suppressor on the shorter barrel?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:50:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Assaulter:
I'm considering a 16.5" or 20" AAC SD.  Do you think you're getting much unburned powder hitting your suppressor on the shorter barrel?
View Quote

This is a pretty good article on testing. I'm comfortable with what I'm going to do with it. Some of the guys in here also have pretty good info with that barrel length.
http://rifleshooter.com/2013/11/super-short-precision-rifles-a-16-5-308-tactical-bolt-action-rifle/
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#9]

This is a pretty good article on testing. I'm comfortable with what I'm going to do with it. Some of the guys in here also have pretty good info with that barrel length.
http://rifleshooter.com/2013/11/super-short-precision-rifles-a-16-5-308-tactical-bolt-action-rifle/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Assaulter:

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks so much for that link!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Not in my AAC. At all.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#11]

PPU 308 Match 175gr

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/recon762wt/64db01ab-e8e8-4802-86f1-a4b24daad3e8_zps91c2b854.jpg

Hornady Z-Max
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/recon762wt/IMG_1639_zpsf100e57c.jpg
View Quote

Did you get those numbers/groups with rifles you pictured?

If so.... I'd suggest a better stock.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

I use 175 SMK's on my 18.5" 1-10 Schneider,  46.6 Of 2520, chrono'd at 2575.   Running a TBAC 30P-1. 3/4 moa as fast as i can put them out on my Dillon 550.
Very happy Them.
1.7mil at 300
2.7     at 400
3.7 at 500
6 at     600
7.7 at    700
9.3 at 800
11.4 at 900

All on steel
Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:07:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: captrichardson] [#13]

View Quote

Apologies in advance, as this will be somewhat of a sidetrack, however I think that it relates directly to the 175 performance issues.

When you did your load workup for the 175 hand loads, did you try different seating depths and neck tensions?

One of the keys to great results is getting consistent neck tension on the bullet, and getting a very consistent release from the case each time. If you have inconsistent neck tension, it will impact how and when the bullet is released, which will change the performance from shot to shot.

When you move up in bullet weight, you also typically increase the bearing surface of the bullet (flat area in the middle), and this in turn increases the amount of bullet that is interacting with the case neck.

You may be seeing better results with the 168 loads because those bullet designs have less bearing surface and are getting a cleaner/more consistent release from the case.

If you are running the 175s at a factory COAL of around 2.800, then there is more of the bullet in the case, and more of the bearing surface is interacting with the case neck. To try and "work around this", you can lengthen the COAL which will put less bullet inside the case neck, or if you are using a bushing die you can run a larger bushing and decrease the neck tension slightly. Most precision shooters will run around .002" of neck tension, where factory ammo can be anywhere from .003"-.005".

You may also have a tight neck in your rifle's chamber, which will also have an impact on how consistent the bullet is getting released.

Most people want to focus on twist rates / bullet stability when it comes to performance issues, and while that could be a valid issue, many times it is not really the root cause of the problem. I this case a 175 bullet in a typical 1:10 barrel at 2,550 fps, has a stability factor of over 2.3 which means it is not anywhere close to being an issue (above 1.5 is good). Twist Rate / Stability

Obviously if the 168s are working for you and you are happy with them run with it. However if you haven't done it, make sure that you try some different things with your handloads using a heavier bullet before you completely give up on them.

Hopefully that all makes sense, if not let me know and I will try to clarify.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
My 20" 1 in 10" AAC-SD loved the Hornady 168gr AMAX which I believe is the same load as the ZMAX.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Subscribing for when I get this thing up and goin.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By captrichardson:

Apologies in advance, as this will be somewhat of a sidetrack, however I think that it relates directly to the 175 performance issues.

When you did your load workup for the 175 hand loads, did you try different seating depths and neck tensions?

One of the keys to great results is getting consistent neck tension on the bullet, and getting a very consistent release from the case each time. If you have inconsistent neck tension, it will impact how and when the bullet is released, which will change the performance from shot to shot.

When you move up in bullet weight, you also typically increase the bearing surface of the bullet (flat area in the middle), and this in turn increases the amount of bullet that is interacting with the case neck.

You may be seeing better results with the 168 loads because those bullet designs have less bearing surface and are getting a cleaner/more consistent release from the case.

If you are running the 175s at a factory COAL of around 2.800, then there is more of the bullet in the case, and more of the bearing surface is interacting with the case neck. To try and "work around this", you can lengthen the COAL which will put less bullet inside the case neck, or if you are using a bushing die you can run a larger bushing and decrease the neck tension slightly. Most precision shooters will run around .002" of neck tension, where factory ammo can be anywhere from .003"-.005".

You may also have a tight neck in your rifle's chamber, which will also have an impact on how consistent the bullet is getting released.

Most people want to focus on twist rates / bullet stability when it comes to performance issues, and while that could be a valid issue, many times it is not really the root cause of the problem. I this case a 175 bullet in a typical 1:10 barrel at 2,550 fps, has a stability factor of over 2.3 which means it is not anywhere close to being an issue (above 1.5 is good). Twist Rate / Stability

Obviously if the 168s are working for you and you are happy with them run with it. However if you haven't done it, make sure that you try some different things with your handloads using a heavier bullet before you completely give up on them.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By captrichardson:

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

I'm a newbie to all this and that was a very informative and helpful post. Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top