Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2009 12:00:48 PM EDT
any skiers snowboarders in here
Im looking for good places to ride
I live in Colorado but have skied everywhere and I am looking for new challenging terrain
My job allows me to travel and always take my gear
I was just hoping some locals could give me the inside lines
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Jackson Hole is an obvious option.  Steep and chute like.
Whistler Blackcomb.  Hey, it's Canada.
Snowbird or Alta.  Deepest powder I've ever been in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Jackson is my dream tried for the last 5 seasons to get there and something always come up you could say it is my Elinore and as for Utah always a safe bet snow snow snow
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Being an Icecoaster Eastcoaster, there's not much in the mid atlantic near me but we've been to Snowshoe Mtn in West Virginia a few times (I think it's the best below NY on the East Coast) and Wintergreen and Massanutten in VA which are really not worth mentioning.

Someday I hope to ski out west/Canada/Europe but for now, Showshoe is good for me.

I'm a snowboarder - it's easier than skiing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to tell you Ive skied killington and the easier slopes on the east coast are as difficult as a powder filled bowl at 45+ degrees on my gear because I detune all my edges
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Spent two weeks in Jackson Hole this February. I like it a lot, but to be honest I had more fun on the other side of the mountain. Grand Targhee was empty, had better snow most of the time, and was cheaper. Not a lot of that 'bro thing going there either.

Bad thing about Grand Targhee, the fog. The locals don't call it Grand Foggy for nothing. One day we showed up, a nice storm rolled in. Within two minutes, you could not see more than three feet in front of you. If that. We still rode, just hugged the tree line. Till they closed the lifts for wind.

Other places I enjoyed a lot were Powder Mountain and Solitude, both in Utah. Once again, not crowded, and none of that extra 'bro attitude.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...I detune all my edges

Blasphemy!  

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have to tell you Ive skied killington and the easier slopes on the east coast are as difficult as a powder filled bowl at 45+ degrees on my gear because I detune all my edges

Killington? Gore,,,Whiteface,,Hunter...Mad Glen,,,Greek Peak,,,,if you can't do steep and icy ..  

Are you looking for backcountry?
Been to Loveland? Breckenridge? Purgatory? Snowmass? Aspen? A Basin? Winterpark?  all in Colorado.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Rocky Mt Rifleman -

I'm an east coaster, but if i lived in CO, i'd be backcountry skiing. This would definately open up "more challenging terrain". Just get some training/avalanche gear and some skiing buddies.

Probably some good colorado beta here:

www.wildsnow.com
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Utah really does have the best snow on earth. Make a week out of it. Spend a few days at Utah's resorts, then a few in CO's.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Utah's snow, IMO, is way better than CO's, but CO seems to have longer trails, and, for the price, better resorts (amenities, etc.).

New England skiing is a completely different (and difficult) animal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I loved Grand Targee and Solitude as well as Brighton.  They seem some what off the beaten path and the skiing is great.  THis year I hope to ski Powder Mtn. and Snow Basin.  I too am looking for great powder and short lines.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Snowbasin, UT (17 minutes from my front door)
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Brian Head, UT.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I have to agree Utah has some great snow, i forgot exactly where i went though. I've also been to CO at Telluride, which was pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Had a hard time waking up this morning ... was having a snowboarding dream ...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Well Snowbird is about 20 minutes from my door and that would be my choice. The previous poster mentioned Alta but as an unwashed heathen (snowboarder) you can't get a lift ticket there. Snowbird has some of the more challenging terrain of the Utah parks. Since there is a backside to the mountain it's almost like two resorts. That and if you need a recovery day you can zip over to Brighton a few minutes away or the Canyons in Park City for a HUGE and varied park (they have some new runs this season too).

If you are really interested in some hardcore fun there is a multi resort one day tour package, gotta be in shape for that though! Or you could ride to the top at Snowbird and hike the ridge to Alta for a new experience. They won't be pissed, just won't let you on the lift.

Oh, and Utah can be cheap. You don't have to stay at the resorts since cheap hotels are right at the base of the mountain.

I can't wait for the new season!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Is it still tough to get a damn beer in that state?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I can't ski in powder at all, just never learned how as I am an EAST COAST ICE SKIER.  I have skied the double diamonds at Killington when it was icy amnd loved it.  They got 3-feet of snow another year and I couldn't ski at all but then again my sarving skis carved into that powder and wanted to rip my legs off so someday I would love to try again on powder skis.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Used to live 30 min from Snowbasin ... it was awesome.  I only tried Powder Mtn once, and it was the end of the season, but had a blast there.  

Beers are easy to get in UT, and I *think* Snowbasin even had like, one non-3.2 beer.

Wolf Mtn only had 3.2, but didn't care if you byob so long as you put it into a different container.  Wolf was really small, though, so not the place to go if you are an experienced skier/rider, but it did have a decent terrain park.
Top Top