Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2011 6:16:21 PM EST
Will a 295hp powerbelt with 100gr of triple 7 be sufficient for a VA blackbear within 75 yards? Or do I need a better bullet? If so which in the same weight due to lack of time and re-sighting in? Just had an opportunity and location drop in my lap. TIA
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:47:42 PM EST
I would personally not use a Powerbelt bullet on a black bear. A Hornady XTP, T/C Shockwave, Barnes, something along the lines of those would give you good performance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 11:24:56 PM EST
My friend just shot a cow elk and doe with the power belt bullet you listed. Both shots were one shot stops and the bullet completely exited both animals. I would think it would work just fine on black bear. If your rifle shoots them well and you know how they shoot I wouldn't change a thing if you don't have the time to work on a load.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:21:15 AM EST
I looked up the website yesterday. They have a 300gr platinum aerotip. Ordered 2 sleeves of them based on the recommended game use. First I had seen of them. The 5 gr difference shouldn't be that different but will throw a few down range just to confirm.

My concern is early expansion and not enough penetration with the 295 HP on the bear. I was hoping someone either had seen it used or had used it and could say yea or nay.

Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:50:14 PM EST
Top Top