Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2011 7:16:21 PM EDT
Will a 295hp powerbelt with 100gr of triple 7 be sufficient for a VA blackbear within 75 yards? Or do I need a better bullet?  If so which in the same weight due to lack of time and re-sighting in?  Just had an opportunity and location drop in my lap. TIA
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I would personally not use a Powerbelt bullet on a black bear. A Hornady XTP, T/C Shockwave, Barnes, something along the lines of those would give you good performance.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#2]
My friend just shot a cow elk and doe with the power belt bullet you listed.  Both shots were one shot stops and the bullet completely exited both animals.  I would think it would work just fine on black bear.  If your rifle shoots them well and you know how they shoot I wouldn't change a thing if you don't have the time to work on a load.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:21:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I looked up the website yesterday.  They have a 300gr platinum aerotip.  Ordered 2 sleeves of them based on the recommended game use.  First I had seen of them.  The 5 gr difference shouldn't be that different but will throw a few down range just to confirm.

My concern is early expansion and not enough penetration with the 295 HP on the bear.  I was hoping someone either had seen it used or had used it and could say yea or nay.

Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top