Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2011 4:01:31 PM EDT
Well title says it all, I was lucky to help a guy out in which he gave me a free Yaesu FT-270.  This thing looks brand new and even had the box it came in.  I dont know much about HAM radios much less this brand.  Any info on this handheld would be great.  

TIA
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yaesu is one of the big three (Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood).  The 270 is a great radio and I believe it's a mono bander (2 meters, the most popular VHF/UHF band).  You'll need a license to use it if you want to avoid a $10,000 fine.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yaesu is one of the big three (Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood).  The 270 is a great radio and I believe it's a mono bander (2 meters, the most popular VHF/UHF band).  You'll need a license to use it if you want to avoid a $10,000 fine.  

Yeah I understand about the license.  Is the 2 meter the way to go for getting into HAM radios, or should I sell it and get something else?  I like the idea of being handheld and can see how it will be limited to most.   I thought it was a good return for towing someone into town :)

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
good jumpin' off point! eep it and start studying
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
vedubin01,

Slightly off topic, but if you attend the event pictured in your avatar, be aware that there is a ham repeater just outside of BRC that allows you to place telephone calls via your radio.  There is also a ham radio net (ham term for meeting) every day at noon during the event.  There is quite an active ham community in BRC.  If you are interested in more info, just shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you read this thread? Can't fail ham thread
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one. Bought it because it was the cheapest water-proof HT available. Disappointed with Rx. Extremely weak / overly sensitive. Got an Icom v82. Way better but not water-proof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top