Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2013 5:21:06 PM EDT
Coyote sounded like a mature dog - came and howled about 180 yards out.  (just too far at the time as my light was dim and I didn't want to miss and educate him.)

I tried baby rabbit, mature rabbit, woodpecker, hurt pup, and other coyote calls.  This spanned over about an hour

He called back to coyote calls but then just kept moving through the area.

Is he full of garbage and looking for a mate????  why not come in for the rabbit?  no pressure around here except me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be lots of reasons it would not come in.  It could have seen you enter the area, seen you move, heard you, smelled you or maybe heard the calls you are using before. It may not have been hungry.   It also depends on the age of the coyote.  If it was a  young coyote, the howls may have intimidated it and it was afraid to approach. This time of year there are a lot of juvenile coyotes out on their own and they will shy away from more mature coyotes (and their howls).   Unless you are very experienced with howling, it is best to stick with the distress calls, especially this time year.  The howling may work better starting in January when they are starting to breed.  Try some different distress calls.  I called a couple coyotes in the other night with kitten in distress.  

Don't feel bad.  This happens to me all the time.  It is frustrating, but just part of the challenge.

Tim
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had good luck with "shy" coyote by switching to a fox distress sound
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had good luck with "shy" coyote by switching to a fox distress sound
View Quote

AAARGGG  the only call I didn't try!!!!   This is two foxes fighting, right?
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#4]
No, the Grey fox screams, grey fox distress, and juvenile red fox distress are what I use
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]
are thos available as MP3s anywhere online?
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure, got mine from fox pro
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know a guy . . . .

My take on your situation was that you used too many sounds. My go-to sounds for hung-up coyotes are pup distress, gray fox distress, and bird, usually Lucky Bird.

As mentioned above, I've also used kitten distress and chicken distress with some, but limited, success.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Coyote sounded like a mature dog - came and howled about 180 yards out.  (just too far at the time as my light was dim and I didn't want to miss and educate him.)

I tried baby rabbit, mature rabbit, woodpecker, hurt pup, and other coyote calls.  This spanned over about an hour

Is he full of garbage and looking for a mate????  why not come in for the rabbit?  no pressure around here except me.
View Quote

You were busted, his calling back to you was coyote speak for "go fuck yourself".
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Skip the light and go night vision or thermal
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Skip the light and go night vision or thermal 5.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif" />
View Quote

using NV.  

still need a light for positive target ID and clean kills.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You were busted, his calling back to you was coyote speak for "go fuck yourself".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  I had not thought of it that way.  But you know his presence was made known first to me by his calling, the I started calling back.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Any chance there was another hunter trying to call YOU in?

Lol

I've never been lucky enough to kill a coyote while coyote hunting, I have killed all of mine while deer or ground hog hunting
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#13]
no I saw him to far out to shoot.  Watched him move away.  Watchd him stop when I called and look my way.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

using NV.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skip the light and go night vision or thermal 5.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif" />

using NV.  

A light would defeat the purpose of the NV.
I can assure you that no light is needed unless it is an IR light because it is to dark for the NV.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I can assure you that no light is needed unless it is an IR light because it is to dark for the NV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

using NV.  

I am totally not following you.  I think you will find a LOT of hunters with PVS 14s also use red or green lights for predators and hogs.  

I use a red LED p60 drop in with a smooth reflector to shine fox and coon eyes over 200 yards away.  Even with a gen 3 PVS 14 on a moonless night some kind of illumination goes a long way.  I appreciate your opinion though.  And I have a bright IR on th rifle.

My system is to have a aimpoint T-1 then just zero the IR laser to the red dot.  I can zero the red dot during the daytime, then after dark it's easy to zero the laser.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]
my NV uses an IR illuminator...ie a red light....1st gen unit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

check Western Rivers
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have a fox pro try the VOLE squeak.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm happy to share my open source MP3 call collection with anyone who is looking for specific sounds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#20]
"Coyote sounded like a mature dog - came and howled about 180 yards out.
(just too far at the time as my light was dim and I didn't want to miss
and educate him.)
"

It happens.   If you try a month from now, and change nothing else, you may be surprised at how eager he is when it's cold and his stomach is empty.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top